Wednesday 28th November 2018

Cleeve
Youth Team Regular

Nov 28, 2018, 6:26 PM

Post #1 of 8 (5547 views)
Shortcut
Wednesday 28th November 2018 Can't Post or Reply Privately

BUCS League - Women's South Eastern Division 1A
University of East London Firsts v Brunel University Firsts 2-2 (ht 1-0)
Venue: Mabley Green, Lee Conservancy Road, Homerton, London E9; kickoff 1400hrs
Entry: Free, no programme
Attendance: h/c 15

There are two adjacent floodlit 3g pitches in a corner of a green public space which would be quite peaceful if not for the A12 flyover droning away in the background. (Hackney Marshes pitches are a stones throw away on the other side of the river 'Lee Navigation'.). The pavillion has changing rooms inside and a public toilet on the outside.

On entering the small car park the first 3g pitch on the left could be considered to be the 'show' pitch. It has a slightly raised viewing area on one side which has a rather high barrier for leaning on but, more annoying, the view was obstructed in most places by four mobile goals. There are then two steps down to pitch level and plenty of room to watch without being too close to the action. The second 3g pitch is also caged but without a viewing area although, again, there is a reasonably wide apron on the far side on which to stand and view. This pitch is a notably darker green than that of the show pitch.

I came here last week to find that the mens first team were playing on the second pitch (with the mens seconds on the show pitch). I returned today only to find that they obviously prefer the second pitch (maybe it is newer), so that's why I watched the women on the show pitch.

UEL totally dominated the first half and ultimately paid for only converting one of their many chances. The second half was much more even with Brunel scoring in the first and last minutes and, in between, finding the back of their own net when a goal line clearance ricocheted back in off one of their own players. Unlike last week, the floodlights were needed for the last ten minutes of the game.

Tim
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 28, 2018, 7:35 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #2 of 8 (5471 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cleeve] Wednesday 28th November 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Newman University 1 Aston University 7 (BUCS Midlands 3A) Att: 6 h/c f&n

Smashing game. Really good first half, end to end, loads of chances, and 1-1 at the break, but should have been at least 4-4. For some reason, Newman were crap after the break and the visitors scored almost at will to gain a very convincing win. Really good standard, and other than one home player picking up a red, very well behaved.

Home is now (mostly - still one or two games at the Hadley Stadium) the 3G on the campus in Bartley Green - standard issue with a small viewing area along the far side. Not the easiest to find, it has to be said. Free parking on campus but spaces as ever were hard to spot. Splendid company from Fatboyfat and Veteran, whom I was tempted to join for a 6.15 at Birmingham University, but I succumbed to Warm House Syndrome. Home in 25 minutes.

Dribble!
First Team Sub

Nov 28, 2018, 10:17 PM

Team(s): Ipswich Town

Post #3 of 8 (5241 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Wednesday 28th November 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ipswich Town 2 Bristol City 3
Championship
Portman Rd

Admission: Season ticket
Programme: £3

Might get closer to the 92 next season as we could be in a lower division!

Last New Ground; Boston Utd, Games in 2019/20 Season; 3, New Grounds this Season; 2, Next scheduled game: Colchester Utd v Ipswich Town - PSF( 19/7/19)
http://portmanroadtothesansiro.blogspot.co.uk/

bluearmybob
First Team Sub

Nov 28, 2018, 10:30 PM

Team(s): Ipswich Town FC since April 11th 1966.Groundhopping since January 28th 1989

Post #4 of 8 (5194 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] Wednesday 28th November 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Season ticket duty at Portman Rd. KO19.45pm.

Sky Bet Championship.

IPSWICH TOWN 2 (1) v (0) BRISTOL CITY 3

Scorers.

Home. F Sears (32 & 58)

Away. B Bialkowski (55og) J Paterson(59) F Diedhiou (66)

Admission by season ticket. Programme £3. Attendance 13,726. Away Fans 290.

GROUNDS VISITED.(369) NEW GROUNDS THIS SEASON 2019/20. (0)
GAMES THIS SEASON 2019/20. (0)
GAMES SINCE LAST 0-0. Ipswich Town v Bolton Wanderers. 22/09/18. (39) BEST RUN OF NOT SEEING A 0-0. (61)
LEAGUES COMPLETED. Championship. Isthmian League North. ECL Premier Division. SCEFL Premier Division.
FOOTBALL SEEN IN:Bulgaria,Czech Republic,England,France,Greece,Guensey,Holland,Scotland,Switzerland,Turkey & Wales.

Digdagdog
First Team Regular

Nov 28, 2018, 10:55 PM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #5 of 8 (5132 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bluearmybob] Wednesday 28th November 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

EFL Sky Bet Championship
The Den
Millwall 0 Birmingham City 2
Admission: £30 (£28 +£2 booking fee online) Paper available Attendance: 11,644

I went to the old Den several times many moons ago with Swindon so felt obliged to re-tick the Lions. New ground nothing to write home about in terms of style or accessibility (I took the Jubilee and P12 bus from Canada Water but even that took a while).
What has not changed are the fans; passionate, one-eyed and with a stupendous vocabulary of swear words. I cannot think of a set of supporters that get so angry anywhere else (maybe Leeds?).
They had some stuff to get angry about too; a soft second yellow (and so red) for Leonard on 30 which made an already limited home side even more so. They had already fallen behind to an own-goal by Meredith on 11; there was nothing he could do about it. HT 0-1.
Second half the 'Wall went for it and produced a few promising attacks but they had limited options and City threatened instant counter-attack on any breakdown. Inevitably Morrison poked home a shot between 'keeper and post on 76 and that was it. Mass exodus.
City brought a big number of their own fans and they added to the sense of occasion by non-stop singing and taunting the home faithful, nearest to them. Glad I've got the tick, may be a few years before I return but well worth the gate money in the end.

2018-19 Games: 166 Goals: 611 GPG: 3.68 New Grounds: 96
2019-20 Games: 9 Goals: 34 GPG: 3.78 New Grounds: 8

(This post was edited by Digdagdog on Nov 28, 2018, 10:58 PM)

Windy
Reserve Team Star

Nov 28, 2018, 11:49 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 8 (4996 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Wednesday 28th November 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

2.0 - UEFA Youth League - Napoli 5 Red Star Belgrade 3 - Admission €5 - Teamsheet free - Attendance approx 200

9.0 - Champions League - Napoli 3 Red Star Belgrade 1 - Admission €71 - Free Programme (24 pages) - Attendance 44,470

Booked this trip to Naples in August when the draw was made but it wasn’t until last night that I was definitely going. Napoli were impossible to contact. I tried by email, both in English and in Italian - no reply. I tried calling them. I tried the media team by email who gave me a two word reply and no, it wasn’t those words ! The problem was that tickets via the website were only being sold to fan club members. Anyway I made contact with a German guy via Facebook who was going out to Rome on Tuesday and he managed to get tickets from a ticket office there but of course he had to give his original passport. Anyway, it was an early start with the 6.30 flight from Stansted and then it was straight to the main station where there’s a Napoli shop, however I was told that I had to go to a shop called Box Office near Municipio station. Fortunately I found it and I got a ticket - relief, relief, relief, so it was then on to the youth match which was played in Frattamaggiore, which was a station about 15 minutes away from the main station and then about a mile walk but I found the ground nice and easily and settled back to see an absolute cracker of a match. I only said yesterday after the Man United v Young Boys match that I rarely see a poor match in this competition and this one was one of the best. Red Star Belgrade despite being bottom of the group play a very open game, which I saw at Liverpool a few weeks ago and it just makes for a really enjoyable match.

It was the visitors who took the lead after just two minutes from the penalty spot after Francesco Mezzoni caught Aleksa Terzic and Bogdan Jocic stepped up to score. 14 mins were on the clock when Napoli equalised when Nicola D’Alessandro’s free kick was spilled by the keeper and in the scramble, Filippo Perini forced the ball over the line. Red Star went back ahead when Terzic’s corner bounced off a defender to Borisav Burmaz to turn and fire home from close range.

Early in the second half, Napoli equalised again - a good run down the right by Mezzoni and a lovely low Cross was swept home by Mattia Saporetti to make it 2-2. On 64, Red Star were ahead for the third time when Burmaz hit the post with Marko Dedijer scoring from the rebound. Chances were coming and going but Napoli equalised for the third time and it was time for Gianluca Gaetano to take centre stage with a lovely curling free kick over the wall into the left corner. Red Star were then reduced to ten men when Nenad Adzibaba received a second yellow card and on 82 minutes, up stepped Gaetano for another free kick which he delightfully put into the right corner this time and he wasn’t finished yet as he completed a quite superb hat trick in injury time with a cracking 20 yarder after cutting in from the right. Not bad for a substitute who was only on the pitch for 28 minutes - if you get a chance to see the goals on the UEFA website which they sometimes make, it will be well worth a few minutes of anyone’s time.

There was no way that the Champions League match was going to top that but Napoli went three goals up via a double from Mertens and one from Hamsik before Ben pulled one back for Red Star.

Naples is a place that I’ve always avoided but I was pleasantly surprised and it wasn’t dodgy as I had been made to believe and I wandered around a lot of the day and night without any issues at all. I was also a bit concerned that Napoli and Red Star Belgrade both have a certain reputation but I didn’t see anything happen apart from a flare and a firework outside the ground. The atmosphere at the Champions League match was decent but not as loud as I expected and what was unusual was that the ticket that I bought, even though it had a seat number on it, was basically sit anywhere in the stand. Not sure if Napoli are breaking some UEFA rule there - I wouldn’t be surprised but I guess it’s a good way of getting the singers together etc to boost the atmosphere. All in all, a very enjoyable day, albeit very tiring after being in Manchester and Leicester the day before with no proper sleep in between apart from a nap on the plane. Night night all - I’m ready for some quality sleep before my flight back in the morning.

(This post was edited by Windy on Nov 28, 2018, 11:51 PM)

Jaundiced Hack
First Team Star

Nov 29, 2018, 1:15 AM

Post #7 of 8 (4868 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Windy] Wednesday 28th November 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or

Taunton Town 4 Salisbury 3
Att 602

One of the most remarkable games I have seen in many years tonight at Taunton Town. They were 2-1 up and coasting with a few minutes to go when Salisbury equalised with an own goal and then went ahead two minutes later with a penalty as Taunton fell to pieces.
Minutes later the keeper dropped a cross and Taunton levelled before scoring the winner in injury time to send everyone nuts.
Speaking of nuts, Salisbury appear to have one of the most obnoxious and embarrassing fans for some while in a tall lurch with a bald head and pot belly who yelled abuse at the linesman,referee, Taunton players and anyone else within earshot. I complete bell end who by rights should have been chucked out because of his foul language but never will be of course as it is all just accepted now and tolerated.

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Nov 29, 2018, 8:10 AM

Post #8 of 8 (4577 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jaundiced Hack] Wednesday 28th November 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

....By way of a digression I attended the Taunton v Salisbury fixture last season and the overriding memory apart from a comfortable 4-1 Taunton win was the presence of a group of 20 or so Stone Island/Burberry clad Salisbury wannabee hoolies who caused problems and by the end there was a larger than expected for a Southern League fixture police presence.

Any reason for a digression though less so after the continuing lure of the FA Trophy gave us an entertaining contest between...

Dulwich Hamlet 2 v 1 Welling United - FA Trophy 3rd Qualifying Round Replay
Prog 28 pages £1.00 - Admission £12.00 - Att 219

....Decent open match between two teams who both consistently attacked, though by the end it was clearly the case that the visitors would be a little peeved at losing and likely that their ire would be directed towards the man in black who made a few decisions best described as perplexing, especially the decision not to issue a second yellow to Okuonghae for a cynical foul in the second half. Though it would also have to be taken into account that Welling going forward had a tendency to over hit passes forward and their crossing lacked direction.

Dulwich thought that they had taken an early lead when Tomlin steered in a rebound from the palms of Wilks in the Welling goal but clear that the former had strayed offside when Clunis had his original shot. Clear in the initial minutes that the Welling defence was slow to adopt it's defending role and a flighted free kick from Clunis located a completely unmarked Chambers whose cushioned pass back across the face of the goal ended up as being a simple cushioned tap in for Green.

Problem was for the hosts that an equally lax example of defending allowed a Walling leveller as a corner from Agyemang saw Orlu square on goal with no Dulwich defenders in close proximity and he therefore had the time and space to angle a volley past Edwards who although he got a glove to the shot was unable to keep out.

Plenty of open attacking play from both teams but a dearth of actual chances apart from a cheeky backheel from Green for Dulwich caught Wilks unaware but he was fortunate that he had a Genovese behind him who was aware and clear off the line. The half time gruppe discussion involved the words 'long evening' though given that Welling were more fluent going forward, my own take was that if the visitors were able to get their snouts in front then they would be difficult to dislodge.

Equally entertaining second period but for all their attacking prowess there was a distinct lack of meaningful threat where it actually mattered from Welling. They could have taken an unlikely lead when a clearance cannoned off Mills but arrowed straight back into the grateful arms of Edwards (a few feet either side and the net would have bulged) and Agyemang sent a 20 yard free kick wide of the post.

With the minutes ticking down, there were fears of an additional period (I should add not the fears of extra time normally seen on a viciously cold winters evening with a contest between two clueless teams, but more so that a further hours sleep debt would be incurred) taking place. However, all it took was one excellent flowing move down the right involving a defence dissecting pass from Clunis an equally excellent low cross from Ming leading to a simple tap in at the far post by Akinyemi, beautifully worked and ruthlessly executed. Try as Welling did to try and secure an equaliser they as they had done all evening lacked the prowess to find space where it actually mattered. With their imminent and welcome return to Champion Hill where initial crowds will be in the region of 1,000% higher than the turnout here, there is also the matter of a trip to Wingate and Finchley in the next Trophy round. One aspect of Dulwich in recent years, is that there is rarely if ever a dull moment.

Easy journey there via a suitably packed Northern Line to Morden but a convenient Tram led to a return journey which all came together with minimal waits and indoors out of the wind n' rain by 23.25.....

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3