The 2008-09 NL Prediction League

vienna1964
Deleted

May 8, 2008, 11:33 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 10 (18410 views)
Shortcut
The 2008-09 NL Prediction League Can't Post or

I would like to advertise the new season's Prediction League (http://www.nlpl.co.uk/...a739e7&cmd=table) to old and new Members of the site, alike - in the hope that we'll manage to get a reasonable cadre of folks starting competition in week 1 and continuing to play throughout to the end of the season.

For the 2008-09 competition we really could do with recruiting lots of new players to the game and so I am hoping that experienced players and newbies alike will do all within their power to attempt to persuade their friends, relatives, work colleagues, pub acquaintances & whomsoever else thay can think of to join in and to regularly compete - and help make this PL game the very best one on the whole of the net !
Please spread the word in any non-League Forums (with permission) that you may be connected with and help us make this a truly great Season's competition. Not forgetting that the game does allow for the setting up of one's own Private Leagues within the overall framework, this could be a really sound move upon your part(s) !!!

For the new season, I shall be attempting some 'rationalisation' by attempting to keep the prediction programme to a set number of matches per week over the regular 39 weeks of the Season, plus assorted Play-offs and Cup Semi's, Finals, etc. as follow that period.

As last season, I shall not particularly be rescheduling postponed games - they will most usually simply drop from the schedule. Odd ones which are rescheduled with a definitive date on the actual date of the original match may well be carried over, but I will not be guaranteeing this particularly !

Again, I shall also be following the FA Cup, FA Trophy & FA Vase competitions in a 'Road to Wembley' format. The Setanta Shield should continue to be covered in the same way as the 'big' Cups ! There will continue to be occasional 'filler fixtures' from Step 5.

As usual, I will try to ensure a fair spread of fixtures for all the teams involved in Steps 1 through 4 inclusive.

A quick revision now for previous players and as a courtesey to those who have not yet played this game...

The (Loose) Rules.

1]. I will publish fixtures more or less as described above and I will endeavour to ensure that there is at least seven days' grace between my publication of such fixtures and the day/time that the relevant matches are to be played. During the course of a whole season there is likely to be the occasional variance from this intention and if this means that some folks 'accidentally' miss out on emplacing a prediction due to this - I will apologise beforehand, but contend that 'sh*t sometimes happens' ! I promise that I will not willfully cause any player to be put into this situation.
Possible reasons for variance:~ If my pc &/or ISP generate unavoidable connection problems; End-of-season play-offs; short-term postponements; etc.

If you do find that you have missed just an odd couple of predictions throughout the whole season, do not despair ! [Please also see Point #(8). below]The 'Main Table' presented upon the initial page which you see when you log-on into the site is not actually the 'be-all & end-all' of the competition... there is another Table available to view, which is called the 'Statistics Table'; and which I, myself, actually think of as being the more 'genuine' descriptor of comparative prediction skill; and will show positions based upon the average number of points scored per game, rather than the total number of points scored.
As far as any 'official' kudos is concerned, I rate only those players who have completed at least some 70% of all available predictions in this Statistics Table (which may be found by clicking 'statistics' in the left hand menu area) - however, for others who for whatever reason may not have managed to complete this number of predictions, this will provide them with a relatively more useful measure of their predictive ability.

2]. I will issue each fixture chosen, with a short code preceding the first-named (home) team to indicate from which competition the fixture has been taken - these should be quite obvious to all concerned and will use 'proper' League names and not sponsorship names at all. If anyone fails to follow a particular code, just mention in the sites Shoutbox and someone will surely fill you in ! Some play-off fixtures & other knock-out matches are played out on neutral territory and there is consequently no home/away difference. I will usually list teams in such matches alphabetically, however this is not a guarantee !

3]. No correspondence about fixtures chosen will be entertained, beyond the usual suspects:~ where I have inadvertently duplicated a fixture; I have entered a fixture incorrectly or with a clerical error; when a fixture has been postponed/rescheduled and I have not yet registered this; etc. Mention of any of the above occurrences is sincerely appreciated !
For the 2008-09 Season, there is one small variance to this ruling... and that is that I shall be more than happy if competitors let me know whether they would like me to add in an extra fixture or two concerning their own supported team (right at the beginning of - or before - the Season please) and I will endeavour to do so - spread out over the course of the whole Season, naturally... and likewise for specific match-ups of interest - again I'll try to include, given sufficient pre-warning !

4]. I will endeavour to update the site regularly, several times per week and I will occasionally issue 'statements' which will be sent to all folks via their registered email addresses. Updates will naturally be subject to pc &/or ISP generated unavoidable connection problems (as in [1] above).

5]. Each prediction may score either 3, 1 or 0 points - dependent upon accuracy. 3 points is awarded for a completely correct scoreline prediction; 1 point is awarded for a correct prediction of the H/D/A result, without getting the scoreline entirely right and 0 points will be scored in any other circumstance. 3 points gives you a 'Win', 1 point gives a 'Draw' and 0 points; naturally; gives a 'Loss' in the Table.

6]. Goal Difference is established by looking at the individual score-predictions for each team. You will score goals for by correctly guessing a team's score in any given fixture. Any difference between the number of goals guessed and the actual number of goals scored by a team in any given fixture will go into your goals against column.

7]. Over and above the fact that we will be generating some rather large numbers eventually in the Points, G.F. & G.A. columns, League placings will be determined by those factors which one normally takes into account for such purposes in real-life Leagues... Most Points, then highest Goal difference; then most Goals for. I think (but cannot guarantee) - the next discriminators would probably be Most Wins, Least Games played and lastly Alphabetic order.

8]. Any player presented with a problem such as failure to be able to log in, failure to get the program to run properly on the pc &/or similar preventing one from fairly continuing to compete - will be allowed to email myself at my home email ([email protected]) and if they include a listing of their preferred selections in that email and it reaches my Inbox prior to the actual starting time of the matches concerned... I will be pleased to allow these selections to the game. I am able to enter them 'after the fact' as needs be. In all such cases, proof of posting will not be considered to be proof of delivery and I will not enter into discussion about any failure of delivery which might disallow one's entries !
Please note that this service is meant to be 'occasional' and to be used only in case of distress. I shall reserve the right to ignore habitual users of this service, should I come to believe that they are taking the P*SS ! Obviously, genuine folks need not be overly concerned with this, if you inform me of any problems which you might be having with connectivity - I will always attempt to help out as best I can. A little information could go a very long way in this regard !

I think that just about covers things nicely... If you have any further questions &/or think that I have missed anything &/or have failed to explain something adequately, please feel free to query.

Above all, good luck and enjoy !

I APOLOGISE UNRESERVEDLY TO EACH AND EVERY PERSON ON THIS FORUM WHO HAS FELT LET-DOWN BY MY INIMICABLE AND DEPLORABLE BEHAVIOUR OF OCTOBER 28th. 2009. ESPECIALLY TO BRIAN, WHO IS A MARVELLOUS GENTLEMAN AND IS THE LAST PERSON HERE WHO SHOULD HAVE TO PUT UP WITH SUCH UNDESERVED PERSONAL CHARACTER-ASSASSINATION. LET IT BE KNOWN THAT A PRIVATE PERSONAL APOLOGY WAS SENT, BUT WAS SEEN INSUFFICIENT. FAIR ENOUGH.

(This post was edited by vienna1964 on Jun 30, 2008, 11:35 PM)

vienna1964
Deleted

Jun 30, 2008, 11:32 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 10 (18033 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vienna1964] The 2008-09 NL Prediction League [In reply to] Can't Post or

CoolCoolCool
C'mon everyone and all ! All welcome to pit yer wits against the likes of footballman and myself and see if yer can't knock us from our pedestals in the new season !

There are literally hundredsa of new folks logging into the Forum since the end of last season and it would be luvverly if a significant proportion of you were to take the plunge and join in the ever-popular NLPL Game for 2008-09.

There ain't no prizes, just kudos to play for... and there are some truly amazing predictors out there ! Can you beat them and end up on top of the pile ?

I APOLOGISE UNRESERVEDLY TO EACH AND EVERY PERSON ON THIS FORUM WHO HAS FELT LET-DOWN BY MY INIMICABLE AND DEPLORABLE BEHAVIOUR OF OCTOBER 28th. 2009. ESPECIALLY TO BRIAN, WHO IS A MARVELLOUS GENTLEMAN AND IS THE LAST PERSON HERE WHO SHOULD HAVE TO PUT UP WITH SUCH UNDESERVED PERSONAL CHARACTER-ASSASSINATION. LET IT BE KNOWN THAT A PRIVATE PERSONAL APOLOGY WAS SENT, BUT WAS SEEN INSUFFICIENT. FAIR ENOUGH.

vienna1964
Deleted

Jul 3, 2008, 8:10 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 10 (17897 views)
Shortcut

I will begin posting the first of the 2008-09 fixtures into the game starting this week !

paignton-nick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 7, 2008, 12:22 PM

Team(s): Stevenage FC & Buckland Athletic

Post #4 of 10 (17628 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vienna1964] The 2008-09 NL Prediction League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'll have a go Vienna. Count me in!Smile

Stevenage FC - Hertfordshire's finest!
Buckland Athletic- Pride of South Devon!

PonteCarlo
First Team Star

Jul 7, 2008, 1:44 PM

Team(s): Grimsby Town, Pontefract Collieries

Post #5 of 10 (17623 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paignton-nick] The 2008-09 NL Prediction League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Count me in again too !

Proud spectator of real football.

Hop, hop, hopping on heaven's door

robhoppo
Deleted

Jul 8, 2008, 7:55 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 10 (17528 views)
Shortcut

b dup i'm in like flint!!!

If god had wanted us to play football in the air , he would have put grass on clouds!

All the very best......

vienna1964
Deleted

Jul 14, 2008, 12:07 AM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 10 (17218 views)
Shortcut

OK boys, girls and undecideds !

I've entered the first six weeks' worth of fixtures (including place-fillers - until the SL/IL and several Step 5's set their fixtures), so come on down and see what's up !

paignton-nick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 14, 2008, 12:09 PM

Team(s): Stevenage FC & Buckland Athletic

Post #8 of 10 (17159 views)
Shortcut
Re: [vienna1964] The 2008-09 NL Prediction League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Have now officially registered. Looks very interesting.... Bring it on!!Cool

Stevenage FC - Hertfordshire's finest!
Buckland Athletic- Pride of South Devon!

mnewz
Youth Team Regular

Jul 20, 2008, 4:38 AM

Team(s): Thatcham,Woking, Chertsey.

Post #9 of 10 (16657 views)
Shortcut

Where did I finish? 15th or 16th. I can do better than that this season.

Still on the IPredict site I got 4th. You were 19th?

I guess that's the home field advantage.

Michael

vienna1964
Deleted

Aug 3, 2008, 6:50 PM

Team(s):

Post #10 of 10 (16418 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mnewz] The 2008-09 NL Prediction League [In reply to] Can't Post or

Just one week to go... and we could still do with a shed-load of new entrants to make this a truly competitive game !

Please, please, please impress upon your friends, relatives, colleagues and drinking pals that they would have a helluva-loada-fun joining you in playing this game and anyone who possibly can, please use your contacts in suitable other Forums/Websites to recruit as many as we can !

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3