INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Monday November 26

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 27, 2018, 12:06 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #1 of 4 (6885 views)
Shortcut
Monday November 26 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Isthmian Premier
Carshalton 0-0 Dorking Wanderers
Att 307, adm 10, prog online

Entertaining game and fascinating to watch how it unfolded. The league leaders rolled into town and started like a house on fire, their quick tempo, incisive passing game leaving the home side chasing shadows and ought to have produced at least one goal. But Carshalton like to get the ball down and play themselves and, once they found their feet and got their tricky, pacy forwards into the game, the balance tilted significantly. As the second half progressed, Wanderers not only looked ordinary but time and again resorted to cynical fouls in order to regain the momentum rather than match Carshalton's football. In a way it worked, as the defining moment came on 75 when home forward Korboa slipped his full back superbly, accelerated into the box and was tripped from behind as he positioned himself to shoot. Unfortunately, his penalty was weak and easily saved by Huk, after which Wanderers finally regained a bit of steam. Minutes later they almost grabbed a winner as the ball pinged around the six yard box but a fine save and some last ditch defending denied them. They then reverted to type by putting Korboa out of the game with another cynical hack as he broke from halfway.

A point apiece was fair but Carshalton comfortably won the battle for hearts and minds. And the two sides do it all again here in little more than a fortnight after being paired together in today's FA Trophy draw.

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Nov 27, 2018, 12:16 AM)

Digdagdog
First Team Regular

Nov 27, 2018, 8:11 AM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #2 of 4 (6580 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Monday November 26 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bostik Isthmian Premier
Coles Park
Haringey Borough A Merstham A (2-0 when abandoned)
Admission: 10 Paper available Attendance: 250-ish

Game abandoned on 63 as there was an area-wide power cut and although surrounding businesses seemed to get power back, the Coles Park floodlights did not. A great shame as this was developing into another good performance by the home side.
First half, they were sloppy and Merstham more than held their own if not threatening the home goal.
However in the first 15 minutes of the second, it was back to the full-on Borough. First goal emphatically dispatched after a great run to the byline. Two minutes later, a similar effort on the other wing resulted in the ball going over the line before being cleared.
Then the lights went out. We all stood about with no information but Twitter stated that it was a power outage and that it was 1030 before it could be mended. Hit the bus at what would have been full-time. Great shame but my first abandonment this season. I managed three last season.

2018-19 Games: 166 Goals: 611 GPG: 3.68 New Grounds: 96
2019-20 Games: 11 Goals: 42 GPG: 3.82 New Grounds: 10

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Nov 27, 2018, 8:19 AM

Post #3 of 4 (6569 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Monday November 26 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

....Truncated viewing at the other ILP contest of the evening...

Haringey Borough 2 v 0 Merstham* - Isthmian League Premier Division
Prog 16 pages 1.00 - Admission 10.00 - Att 272

* Abd 65 minutes (approx) due to local power failure.

...And at the time when the local grid failed, Haringey were strolling towards another three point haul that would have taken them up to the fringes of the Play Off zone and being the team in form currently, it does not seem inconceivable that a further appointment with a divisional Play Off match could be possible in the warmer months of April & May 2019.

The first period was instantly forgettable probably being the least entertaining half seen this season, the hosts looked tired and without the speed and imagination of Ademiluyi looked horribly uninspired. It may have been different if McKenzie had not planted a free header at the near post over the angle in the opening minutes and then later in the half Tangara reacted quickly to hold onto an angled effort from Nouble as it went past him, However, as the first half evolved, it was the usual articulated lorry loads of effort but little of substance evolving and if darkness had enveloped at the end of the first half, the thoughts would have been in the region of divine intervention to spare us any more turgidity.

Thankfully, the second half was much better with a flowing move from the hosts down the left allowing Akinwande to send over a low cross for Staunton to side foot in from close range to give Haringey the advantage and within a minute Nouble embarked on a long productive run down the right getting to the byline and a low cross was shot goal wards by McKenzie and although Harrison hooked the ball off the line, the perfectly positioned linesman adjudged that the ball had crossed the line.

From there onwards, it was a simple task for Haringey to wind down the minutes, especially as Merstham were ineffectual going forward and created little of note. However, failing floodlights are not an occurrence that can be legislated for as a local power failure placed the ground and several surrounding houses into darkness. The change of light was initially quite disconcerting until the eyes acclimatised largely due to a combination of mobile phone lights (which begs the question is could the illumination of 50,000 mobile phone screens produce sufficient glow to light up for example Old Trafford in the event of a contrived Hong Kong betting syndicate floodlight failure.) and the surrounding street lights. From the moment that darkness enveloped, there was little hope of play restarting, though it took the man in black nearly half an hour to bring proceedings to a conclusion meaning that it was a standard back from White Hart Lane journey with the abode being reached at 23.25. Others who had travelled over several county boundaries to arrive had longer journeys.

One advantage though of the abandonment is the restaging of the contest on a Monday in January 2019, which will be welcomed as a virtual diary entry....

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 29, 2018, 10:22 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #4 of 4 (5379 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Monday November 26 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Groundhopping purists should look away now ....

7.40pm (10 mins late)
London League, Midweek League Cup Group B
Visa 1 Las Nuevas Maradonas 5 (att 1 - just me Blush)
At pitch one, Paddington Recreation Ground

I was in London for work and spotted that just a short journey from my hotel I could tick off a 3G at Paddington Recreation Ground and see my first game in the London League.

It's a bit like the London Legal League in that fixtures are played on neutral 3G venues around the capital allocated by the league. Another similarity was the game being truncated into two equal halves to fit the time available ... two 37 minutes halves for this game.

That was enough time for Las Neuvas Maradonas to wrap up an easy win, with two first half goals and three in the second. Visa managed a second half penalty.

Pleasantly surprised to find the game had three officials, but the 'visitors' had to wear training bibs over their striped Argentina shirts to avoid a clash with Visa's unmatched white tops, which added to the makeshift feel of the evening.

Should I have stayed in my hotel instead, with room service and a glass of wine? Possibly ... but then again I was back within 20 minutes of the final whistle anyway, and in time to enjoy an overpriced steak, chips and a drink. I could have ticked off another ground in the same league on Tuesday night, but I didn't bother.

On my blog at https://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.com/...uevas-maradonas.html

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3