Manager of the decade

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 14, 2018, 3:22 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #1 of 1 (11403 views)
Shortcut
Manager of the decade Can't Post or Reply Privately

I had 90 minutes to spare during Croatia v England so wrote a list of who I would nominated for manager of the decade for each decade since to beginning of league football in England. Although I have mainly chosen the managers that have won lots of trophies my thinking was that it was managers that had achieved something over a period of time that raised the profile of both the manager and the team(s) they managed.

1890s - George Ramsay
Managed Aston Villa for 42 years winning 6 league titles and 6 FA Cups including the double in 1896/97 for which I nominated him for in this decade.

1900s - Arthur Dickinson
Managed Sheffield Wednesday to 2 league titles and the FA Cup during this decade

1910s - Robert Middleton
Not many seasons played during this decade but Blackburn Rovers won 2 league titles before the outbreak of the war.

1920s - Herbert Chapman
Managed Huddersfield Town to back to back league titles

1930s - Herbert Chapman
Managed Arsenal to 3 league titles in 4 years

1940s - Bob Jackson
Not much football in the 40's so not much to go on but Bob Jackson managed Portmouth to back to back league titles

1950s - Stan Cullis
3 league titles with Wolves

1960s - Alf Ramsey
Second Division title and League Championship in successive years with Ipswich Town and World Cup winner with England

1970s - Bob Paisley
Even though Brian Clough won 2 titles with 2 different teams and had European Cup sucess also taking another team to a European Cup Semi Final, I'll go with Bob Paisley, who during this decade Paisley won 3 league titles (6 titles in all), 2 European Cups and the UEFA Cup

1980s - Howard Kendall
Close to beng sacked by Everton in 1982 he went on to win 2 league titles, the FA Cup and the Cup Winners Cup

1990s - Alex Ferguson
2000s - Alex Ferguson
Won everything

2010s - Eddie Howe
After keeping Bournemouth in the FL after their 17 point deduction he has taken them to the PL. He had some financial backing during the last few years but League 2 to PL is still a remarkable achievement

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3