Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: International Hopping:
Wesley Bedankt

sheffgeoff
First Team Star

Sep 16, 2018, 1:08 PM

Team(s): Colchester United, Stocksbridge Park Steels, Borussia Dortmund & Essex CC

Post #1 of 1 (7417 views)
Shortcut
Wesley Bedankt Can't Post or Reply Privately

International Friendly

Johan Cruijff Arena

Netherlands 2(0) Peru 1(1)

Orange Shirts & Shorts White Shirts w Red Sash / White Shorts

Attendance 40,127

Admission 23 Programme 2

Friet met Oorlog (chips with mayo & satay sauce) 5.50 Kaffie 2.75

Reasonably priced ticket purchased online and printed at home. Flew from Manchester with Easyjet with quick train transfers from Amsterdam Schipol Airport into Amsterdam Centraal station. City Hotel just ten minutes walk from the station was booked on Booking.com. Having been to Amsterdam three times before I had visited most of the sights so with just a day and a bit to kill I visited some of Amsterdam's fine brown bars. On the evening I arrived I enjoyed an excellent Indonesian meal and then visited Cafe 't Smalle in the Jordaan district and then Proeflokaal Arendsnest on Herengracht. On match day I visited Cafe Hoppe and then the highly recommended Brouwerij 't Ij. Late afternoon I caught the Metro Line 54 from the city centre to the Amsterfam Bijlmer ArenA. From the Arena station it's a short walk to the Johan Cruijff Arena. Outside the stadium were plenty of food and drink outlets, souvenir stands and a fan park. Programmes were eventualy spotted at an official souvenir stand in the fan park.

So to the game. Although only a friendly, Peru provided interesting oppostion and the game was also billed as Wesley Sneijder's big send-off as he was retiring from international football. It was all over the newspapers, on the TV and on the football scarves ... Wesley Bedankt. With a decent number of Peruvians supporting their team the attendance was just over 40,000. Peru were impressive and were good value for their half time lead. Their goal came in the 13th minute from a Pedro Aquino header from a right side corner. After the break the Netherlands started to get on top and they equalised in the 60th minute when Memphis Depay was picked out in the box and he fired past the Peruvian keeper. Immediately after the goal Sneijder was substitued and after a prolonged stoppage and a standing ovation he exited the international stage. The home team were now pushing for a winner and in the 83rd minute the ball broke to Depay in the box and the forward made no mistake. On the balance of play a two-one win was probably more than the Netherlands deserved but the result was not important. The evening was all about Wesley but I didn't stay after the final whistle for the presentations and speeches I was off to catch the Metro.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3