Shropshire Premier League 2018-19

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Sunny Nunny
Youth Team Star

Mar 20, 2019, 2:53 PM

Team(s): Nuneaton Borough

Post #26 of 50 (5960 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Shropshire Premier League 2018-19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Around here there's Worcestershire for a start . They have nothing below MFL or WMRL level . It then gets a bit fogey , neither Warwickshire or Derbyshire have a county league as such but there are leagues below step 7/8 that include the counties very much in their footprint . Warwickshire ( Cov Alliance & Stratford Alliance ) Derbyshire ( Midland regional ) .

London Harrier
First Team Star

Apr 2, 2019, 11:07 AM

Post #27 of 50 (5158 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sunny Nunny] Shropshire Premier League 2018-19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Is there a case for the lower reaches of the WMRL and the Shropshire Premier League to merge?

2018-19 Constitutions

West Midlands Regional League Division One 17 teams
West Midlands Regional League Division Two 11 teams
Shropshire Premier League 10 teams

Total: 38 teams.

Instead, could a new arrangement be put in place? For example:

West Midlands Regional League Division One 14 teams
West Midlands Regional League Division Two West 12 teams
West Midlands Regional League Division Two East 12 teams

Or, if numbers continue to fall off, and based on a maximum of 16 clubs in a Step 7 division, possibly:

West Midlands Regional League Division One West 16 teams
West Midlands Regional League Division One East 16 teams

At the rate of current contraction, the Shropshire Premier League will be cease to be viable in the next season or so. The remaining member clubs will then be forced to close or move to a new Saturday/Sunday competition.

(This post was edited by London Harrier on Apr 2, 2019, 11:08 AM)

Sarumio
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 2, 2019, 11:27 AM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #28 of 50 (5135 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Shropshire Premier League 2018-19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'd say it'll be happening this summer, and don't think any extra divisions need to be formed.

The WMRL Division One is going to lose a side to Step 6, with it looking very likely that no one will be relegated to from the Premier Division,.

The WMRL Division Two only has 11 teams, and I'd say it'll inevitably lose one over the summer.

The Shropshire Premier League clubs seem to be in a total mess and dropping like flies, but maybe all the flies are dead now and what's left is the more secure and stable clubs? But I doubt that - at least2 look dodgy at present.

But even if the unimaginable happens...that is all 10 Shropshire Premier clubs somehow make it through the long summer without packing in, then I'd see them all just being added to the WMRL bottom division.

siramisp
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 3, 2019, 7:16 PM

Post #29 of 50 (4855 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Shropshire Premier League 2018-19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Is the West Mids merging with the MFL this summer?

London Harrier
First Team Star

Apr 4, 2019, 1:33 PM

Post #30 of 50 (4643 views)
Shortcut
Re: [siramisp] Shropshire Premier League 2018-19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

During the formation of the MFL, Im sure the WMRL wanted no part of a merger. I could be wrong. A more informed poster than myself may be able to shed light on that time in history and likely developments in the future.

Midlands football from Step 5 down does seem to be a hodgepodge of overlapping competitions with ridiculously long journeys: South Normanton to Westfields in the MFL is a 240 mile round trip; in the MFL1, Littleton and Uttoxeter are 70 miles apart.

As for my home of Shropshire, the flame is flickering out on county league football. Salop is thinly populated in most areas and most small town or villages no longer have representative Saturday sides. Those that do, have largely opted to play in other competitions.

Id love to see a strong Step 7/8 league with local rivalries incorporating Ludlow, Craven Arms, Clee Hill, Church Stretton, Leominster, Woofferton, Tenbury etc., akin to what the Kidderminster & District League used to provide. Unfortunately, I cant see such a nostalgic line-up ever returning. Saturday football aint what it used to be, and is only likely to decrease in numbers as the years roll on.

(This post was edited by London Harrier on Apr 4, 2019, 1:34 PM)

NI_Glens
Junior Team Regular

Apr 4, 2019, 5:32 PM

Team(s): Glentoran, QPR

Post #31 of 50 (4515 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Shropshire Premier League 2018-19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I did see that the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the WMRL are both standing down after many many years - so maybe new blood will pursue new paths with MFL and SCPFL.

petermiller36
First Team Sub

Apr 4, 2019, 10:28 PM

Team(s): Ware & AFC Wimbledon

Post #32 of 50 (4348 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

During the formation of the MFL, Im sure the WMRL wanted no part of a merger. I could be wrong. A more informed poster than myself may be able to shed light on that time in history and likely developments in the future.

The reason (excuse?) at the time was that the WMRL was about to celebrate it's 125th season.

Steps 4-7 Relegation and Promotion document:
http://bit.ly/PPG1819

NI_Glens
Junior Team Regular

Apr 5, 2019, 5:11 PM

Post #33 of 50 (4091 views)
Shortcut
Re: [petermiller36] Shropshire Premier League 2018-19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

The reason (excuse?) at the time was that the WMRL was about to celebrate it's 125th season.

Plus there was an ego aspect as the people running the WMRL didn't want to relinquish any control...

petermiller36
First Team Sub

Apr 5, 2019, 10:40 PM

Post #34 of 50 (3931 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NI_Glens] Shropshire Premier League 2018-19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That was going through my mind but I got in trouble the last time I uttered a bad word against them.

(This post was edited by petermiller36 on Apr 5, 2019, 10:41 PM)

leohoenig
Administrator

Apr 6, 2019, 6:46 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #35 of 50 (3867 views)
Shortcut
Re: [petermiller36] Shropshire Premier League 2018-19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
That was going through my mind but I got in trouble the last time I uttered a bad word against them.

I cannot remember who posted what, but some views on people who have put a lot of time into administering a league for very little reward went beyond reason.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

petermiller36
First Team Sub

Apr 6, 2019, 8:05 AM

Post #36 of 50 (3816 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Shropshire Premier League 2018-19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I cannot remember who posted what, but some views on people who have put a lot of time into administering a league for very little reward went beyond reason.

They did indeed. The issue with my post regarding the league (not an individual) was the fact that I was an official at one of the member clubs at the time.

NI_Glens
Junior Team Regular

Apr 10, 2019, 5:10 PM

Post #37 of 50 (3372 views)
Shortcut

I was a club official also and I did feel at the time that clubs were being pushed into a set path of choice. But that's all in the past now and will be interesting to see if new personnel bring new thoughts - or whether indeed if anyone is willing to step up to the roles!

HollowTalker
Youth Team Sub

Apr 11, 2019, 8:48 AM

Post #38 of 50 (3175 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NI_Glens] Shropshire Premier League 2018-19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I was a club official also and I did feel at the time that clubs were being pushed into a set path of choice. But that's all in the past now and will be interesting to see if new personnel bring new thoughts - or whether indeed if anyone is willing to step up to the roles!

I always found the WMRL quite a straightforward league to deal with. Mind you having come from the Shropshire set up where they shake you warmly by the hand whilst picking your pocket with the other and then stabbing you in the back when you turn around It was quite easy.

Yes the leadership of the league was a dictatorial-ish but they were running a league not a children's nursery.

HollowTalker
Youth Team Sub

May 16, 2019, 2:48 PM

Post #39 of 50 (2608 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HollowTalker] Shropshire Premier League 2018-19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well there will be one "new" team in the league next year. Wellington Amateurs will be running a development team.

When I was at match last season one of the people involved in the club mentioned there was a lack of opportunity for 18 - 23 year olds to develop into the senior game.

The County League for all its failings could be turned into a development league for both clubs who want to move up and higher up teams who want to develop players.

Sarumio

May 16, 2019, 4:10 PM

Post #40 of 50 (2510 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HollowTalker] Shropshire Premier League 2018-19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Well there will be one "new" team in the league next year. Wellington Amateurs will be running a development team.

When I was at match last season one of the people involved in the club mentioned there was a lack of opportunity for 18 - 23 year olds to develop into the senior game.

The County League for all its failings could be turned into a development league for both clubs who want to move up and higher up teams who want to develop players.

Kind of what the WMRL Division Two is for to be honest.

However you dress it up - one of the divisions is pointless as they are both effectively serving the same purpose in the same geographic location.

Either the WMRL Div Two should go - or the Shropshire p]Premier League should go - but the two of them running side by side has become a nonsense.

Sunny Nunny
Youth Team Star

May 16, 2019, 6:32 PM

Post #41 of 50 (2370 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Shropshire Premier League 2018-19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Only four teams in this seasons WMRL2 are in Shropshire , and some clubs in that division would have the best part of a 100 miles rd trip to parts of the county . It's actually a bigger area than you might think .

siramisp
Reserve Team Sub

May 16, 2019, 10:01 PM

Post #42 of 50 (2123 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sunny Nunny] Shropshire Premier League 2018-19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Shrewsbury Juniors the champions are going to WMRL D2

HollowTalker
Youth Team Sub

May 18, 2019, 11:39 AM

Post #43 of 50 (1700 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Kind of what the WMRL Division Two is for to be honest.

However you dress it up - one of the divisions is pointless as they are both effectively serving the same purpose in the same geographic location.

Either the WMRL Div Two should go - or the Shropshire p]Premier League should go - but the two of them running side by side has become a nonsense.

The WMRL works best for the Telford or Eastern based teams. It only works for the Shrewsbury Teams if they have ambition to progress.

A lot of the centres of population are closer to areas with a stronger pull for football. The border sides may opt for Wales, the north for Cheshire or Staffs the South for Hereford or Wales.

The county has a geographical issue.

It needs a league at that level or we might as well just give up on local football.

Rather than focus on the ground grading focus on participation on decent playing surfaces. Merge Saturday and Sunday football. Allow sides to play midweek if they want to at 3g floodlit pitches.

You could even have a 5 a side midwinter season.

Just throwing the ideas out there. Nobody would do it . It's the same old "It's worked for years" approach from Leagues and the FA.

Armchair Libero
Youth Team Sub

May 18, 2019, 6:50 PM

Team(s): Wigan Athletic, Atherton Collieries

Post #44 of 50 (1540 views)
Shortcut

I feel that Brown Clee would be best in Herefordshire County given that they're not far from Clee Hill and Tenbury but not good enough for WRML2. Where teams like St Martins would end up is anybody's guess.

MINOR
Junior Team Regular

May 20, 2019, 1:50 PM

Team(s): Bishops Castle Town F.C.

Post #45 of 50 (1155 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Armchair Libero] Shropshire Premier League 2018-19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I feel that Brown Clee would be best in Herefordshire County given that they're not far from Clee Hill and Tenbury but not good enough for WRML2. Where teams like St Martins would end up is anybody's guess.

Ermmmm.............North West Counties Football League

Sarumio

May 20, 2019, 3:30 PM

Post #46 of 50 (1073 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MINOR] Shropshire Premier League 2018-19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Ermmmm.............North West Counties Football League

Maybe here was referring to present Shropshire Premier League side, St. Martins Village...

NI_Glens
Junior Team Regular

Jun 14, 2019, 5:35 PM

Post #47 of 50 (482 views)
Shortcut

I haven't started a new thread as not really adding anything. Just wondering if any news on next seasons line up?

Sunny Nunny
Youth Team Star

Jun 14, 2019, 7:14 PM

Post #48 of 50 (409 views)
Shortcut

Noticed there's a Madeley in the staffs league and there was a Madeley in this league last season . Different second names but same club or not ?

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 14, 2019, 7:47 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #49 of 50 (381 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Noticed there's a Madeley in the staffs league and there was a Madeley in this league last season . Different second names but same club or not ?

Different clubs -

https://www.madeleywhitestarfc.co.uk/...SKfoL6kfedWZbnIjwNd0

Runners-up in the Crewe & District League last season.

(This post was edited by Bantam Cymraeg on Jun 14, 2019, 7:49 PM)

Sunny Nunny
Youth Team Star

Jun 14, 2019, 8:10 PM

Post #50 of 50 (350 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Shropshire Premier League 2018-19 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cheers Smile That's some history for a local ( predominantly ) league side .

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3