Home: Non League Football Information: History:
Broughton United

TUFCJON
Youth Team Sub

May 15, 2014, 11:45 PM

Post #1 of 7 (2650 views)
Shortcut
Broughton United Can't Post or Reply Privately

Can anyone please confirm whether Broughton United, who played in the Combination from 1903 to 1906, were based in New Broughton on the edge of Wrexham or in Broughton which is nearer to Chester?

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 16, 2014, 7:34 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #2 of 7 (2580 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TUFCJON] Broughton United [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

At a guess it was the Broughton near Chester. I know that there was a team based in the grounds of long-demolished Broughton Hall in the early 19th century (I've got a book about the history of Broughton somewhere, must dig it out. I used to live there). Could be them.

ictoan
First Team Sub

May 16, 2014, 7:58 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 7 (2570 views)
Shortcut

Have you discounted Broughton a suburb of Manchester?

There 'Ant no place like Sussex, until you goes above, 'Cause Sussex will be Sussex and Sussex wunt be druv.

The North begins at Gatwick.

TUFCJON
Youth Team Sub

May 17, 2014, 11:49 AM

Post #4 of 7 (2508 views)
Shortcut

I'm heading towards the conclusion that Broughton United were not from the Flintshire Broughton where Airbus UK now play, but from the Denbighshire village of Pentre Broughton or New Broughton which are between Wrexham and Brymbo Steelworks. The steelworks would have been a massive employer at the time, so classic "football territory".

Broughton United were in the Denbighshire League before joining the Combination.

http://wfda.co.uk/...bigh.php?season_id=5

(This post was edited by TUFCJON on May 17, 2014, 11:50 AM)

VP
Man City Transfer Target!

May 18, 2014, 11:11 AM

Post #5 of 7 (2439 views)
Shortcut

I had a little look into this to see if I could find anything. Drew a blank. One thing I noticed though is this page http://www.penmon.org/page71.htm
which shows Broughton United and New Broughton as separate teams, at least on first glance. When you look into it though are they the same team?

The third round draw of the Welsh Amateur Cup 1904-05:
Esclusham White Stars v Wrexham Victoria
Brymbo Victoria v Broughton United

The fourth round draw:
Esclusham White Stars or Wrexham Victoria or Brymbo v New Broughton

To make sense that should say White Stars or Wrexham Victoria v Brymbo or New Broughton but then that means Broughton United's name has been changed. If they were a team from New Broughton then that could explain it.

I don't know if this helps or hinders.

(This post was edited by VP on May 18, 2014, 11:20 AM)

adamsquire86
Youth Team Sub

Oct 21, 2015, 8:31 PM

Team(s): Wrexham, Wales, Coedpoeth United, Cefn Druids, Cardiff City

Post #6 of 7 (1890 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Broughton United [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I know this reply is a bit late, I've just come upon this thread when conducing my own research. The following Newspaper article from 1899 mentions Broughton United and has Wrexham in brackets next to it. http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3174946/3174951/14/

This would probably back up what a few others have said about them being from New Broughton/Pentre Broughton by Wrexham.

Welsh Head Researcher for Football Manager computer game series. Anyone interested in being a researcher get in touch.

adamsquire86
Youth Team Sub

Jul 12, 2018, 5:04 PM

Team(s): Wrexham, Wales, Coedpoeth United, Cefn Druids, Cardiff City

Post #7 of 7 (709 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adamsquire86] Broughton United [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I put together a Wikipedia article about Broughton United which is sourced from old newspapers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broughton_United_F.C.

They played their home games at Plas Power. In the local area I know of Plas Power colliery in Southsea, and Plas Power station which was situated about half a mile away. Could be plausible that they were a works team of either Plas Power or New Broughton collieries as was common at the time. There is also Plas Power woods, however this is between Coedpoeth and Bersham so wouldn't come under the area of Broughton.

Welsh Head Researcher for Football Manager computer game series. Anyone interested in being a researcher get in touch.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3