Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: All Other Football Interests: Football in other countries:
World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread

First page Previous page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next page Last page  View All

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Jul 11, 2018, 4:28 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #351 of 425 (1059 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
Anyone considering doing their grocery shopping on Sunday, if England reach the final then both Aldi & Lidl will be closing early, so get your supplies of beer on Sunday morning.

Yes, they're closing 1 hour early. Whoopy bloody do. Got them loads of media coverage though.....

SO great marketing, at minimum cost!!
When I last went in, I got to the front of a check out as it opened. The man who served me was calling across to other tills to try and change his Saturday afternoon shift for the quarter-final. I was in process of buying beer for all the quarters!

What we have not heard is whether or not the hourly paid staff lose an hours pay for the early closure. After all, it is at a time when the shop is not busy. Also will many of the staff get held behind to clean up and restack shelves - and hence do not get to see the game as per the press release.

Still, first in gets the publicity

The partner of one of my workmates works at Aldi so I have asked the question.

The staff normally stay behind for the best part of an hour after the store clses to restock the shelves etc. so they can do this as normal and still see the match.

On payment, we weren't sure, but don't expect the staff to be paid. I think payment is over hours worked per month, rather than for set hours of the day, so they shouldn't lose out overall, as long as there is another to fit in somewhere.

As you say, publicity for very little cost.

Richard Rundle
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 11, 2018, 8:02 PM

Post #352 of 425 (997 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I wonder if someone is working out a script for "Bend It Like Trippier"?

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 11, 2018, 9:33 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #353 of 425 (977 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
It looks like England will DEFINITELY win the World Cup, seeing as this bloke in Leeds...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/...d-cup-winners-tattoo

...has already had the fact tattooed across his body!

For those who've ever tried out Larry Miller's five levels of drinking... "Who's Ruby?!"

And another shows premature over-confidence in the world of ink...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/...ttoo-will-boost-team

Amazing!

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 11, 2018, 10:00 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #354 of 425 (943 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I wonder if someone is working out a script for "Bend It Like Trippier"?

Won't be Lee Dixon, according to whom Trippier "never fails to disappoint" Crazy

Normality returns and the better team won but we'll be regretting not finishing Croatia off in the first half.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 11, 2018, 10:08 PM

Post #355 of 425 (921 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Normality returns and the better team won but we'll be regretting not finishing Croatia off in the first half.

Rather like the first game but that at least ended well.

After the shambles of 2014 and 2016, this competition was a minor triumph for England. A lot of work to do but at least it will be from what appears to be a much better base.

A word of warning, though. The semis and the final of the 2020 Euros will be held at Wembley. The qualifying draw isn't until December but I fear the expectation will be piling up long before that.

(This post was edited by Mr. T on Jul 11, 2018, 10:34 PM)

jon b
First Team Star

Jul 11, 2018, 10:13 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #356 of 425 (908 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes, frustrating we didn't settle it before half-time and subsequently conceded 2 soft goals. By the end Croatia definitely deserved their win.

leohoenig
Administrator

Jul 11, 2018, 10:15 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #357 of 425 (902 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Three group games and one round of 16 ko game are also at Wembley, with England guaranteed two "home" games if they qualify

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

buncranaboy

Jul 11, 2018, 10:21 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #358 of 425 (895 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well short and absolutely nothing in midfield. Better team won I'm afraid and they're no great shakes

leohoenig
Administrator

Jul 11, 2018, 10:21 PM

Post #359 of 425 (895 views)
Shortcut

Before that, we have the Nations League.
In England's group, the ranking of the three teams was
Spain 4, England 6 and Croatia 11

The other sections, showing pre-World cup rankings (by UEFA, not FIFA - it works differently)
Germany (1), France (5) and Netherlands (12)
Belgium (3), Switzerland (7) and Iceland (10)
Portugal (2), Italy (8) and Poland (9)

Fat AND Pompous.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 11, 2018, 10:35 PM

Post #360 of 425 (864 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Better team won I'm afraid and they're no great shakes

Croatia more than anyone else have benefited from this so-called easy half of the draw, and the final against France will probably be the first time in the tournament that they'll have actually come up against a properly decent side.

However, as the critics often say, you can only beat what is in front of you. For Croatia to reach the World Cup Final is still a fantastic achievement (and once USA, China, Brazil et al pull their socks up for Qatar in 2022, we may never see a nation as small as Croatia in a final ever again). Well done to them.

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Jul 11, 2018, 11:04 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #361 of 425 (820 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Croatia more than anyone else have benefited from this so-called easy half of the draw, and the final against France will probably be the first time in the tournament that they'll have actually come up against a properly decent side.

However, as the critics often say, you can only beat what is in front of you. For Croatia to reach the World Cup Final is still a fantastic achievement (and once USA, China, Brazil et al pull their socks up for Qatar in 2022, we may never see a nation as small as Croatia in a final ever again). Well done to them.

There could be all sorts of strange results in the unusual conditions of Qatar, but in the meantime, Croatia's deserved run to the final is a real fairy tale for a nation so young and small.

England's defeat has resolved a dilemma for some from Altrincham travelling with the official party to the Isle of Man for the friendly this weekend, by the way, as the ship is due to dock in Liverpool at 1745 on Sunday, just before the final will reach full-time.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 11, 2018, 11:09 PM

Post #362 of 425 (805 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Eventually the better team won, but England should have gone in at half time more than one goal up.

Disappointing, as I doubt England will have a better opportunity to win the trophy in my lifetime what with the likes of Germany, Spain, Argentina and Brazil being simultaneously mediocre, or worse. At least I saw the 1966 win.

007Dale
First Team Regular

Jul 11, 2018, 11:25 PM

Post #363 of 425 (787 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Good effort by England, obviously disappointed but we go out with heads held high.

Hope Croatia go on and win it, but think it will be France by 3.

paulh66

Jul 12, 2018, 12:12 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #364 of 425 (747 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Well short and absolutely nothing in midfield.

Roy Keane made the point that hardly any of the England players have ever won a major trophy yet so we shouldn't expect them to pop their cherry with a World Cup. How tragic, then, that the one man who had the guile to operate from midfield, won every major honour in club football and banged a few goals too was, at the age of only 32, washed up and heading to MLS rather than starring in this tournament. If only Rooney had looked after himself better he'd have had something to offer this team.

Onwards and upwards, though this whole adventure feels more like a one-off than the start of something really big.

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Jul 12, 2018, 12:19 AM)

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 12, 2018, 12:52 AM

Post #365 of 425 (724 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Onwards and upwards, though this whole adventure feels more like a one-off than the start of something really big.

When Germany have had a stinker of a tournament in the past, they have invariably gone home, rebuilt, re-planned and come back stronger as a result. No doubt they will this time, too. As will the other big-hitters who fluffed their lines this time round.

Meanwhile, you get the feeling that the England camp will spend the next four years slapping themselves on the back over this and believing the hype now spilling out of all levels of the news media. Unfortunately, I really don't think that a lucky late win against v Tunisia, popping six past maybe the worst side to play in the WC in over 40yrs, losing to Belgium's reserves, winning on penalties against Colombia, beating a woeful Sweden, then throwing away the lead against a good-but-nothing-special Croatia isn't really that much to boast about. As you say, it feels like a one-off...

(This post was edited by oxpete on Jul 12, 2018, 2:47 AM)

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Jul 12, 2018, 8:03 AM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #366 of 425 (631 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

When Germany have had a stinker of a tournament in the past, they have invariably gone home, rebuilt, re-planned and come back stronger as a result. No doubt they will this time, too. As will the other big-hitters who fluffed their lines this time round.

Meanwhile, you get the feeling that the England camp will spend the next four years slapping themselves on the back over this and believing the hype now spilling out of all levels of the news media. Unfortunately, I really don't think that a lucky late win against v Tunisia, popping six past maybe the worst side to play in the WC in over 40yrs, losing to Belgium's reserves, winning on penalties against Colombia, beating a woeful Sweden, then throwing away the lead against a good-but-nothing-special Croatia isn't really that much to boast about. As you say, it feels like a one-off...

My thoughts exactly. I expected England to be eliminated in the round of 16. If Colombia hadn't waited until the 75th minute to start playing football, England would have been. Even benefiting from a unique set of circumstances, not least most of football's leading nations being astonishingly poor at the same time, England simply weren't good enough. Not in my lifetime, I'm afraid. Really impressed with Maguire, though.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Jul 12, 2018, 8:04 AM)

KnowYourMarket

Jul 12, 2018, 8:03 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #367 of 425 (627 views)
Shortcut

The main gain was at least England looked bothered which is more than can be said in recent times. They were massive improvement over the sides that represented England in the last 2 major tournaments.

So that is a triumph in itself and I'm sure the country enjoyed the ride. At least there was some unity for people. Something our politicians could look at!

Whether they beat anyone any good or not is irrelevant as they got further in the competition than 28 other teams, so how average are they then?

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Tuffley Rovers . New grounds 18/19: 29

(This post was edited by KnowYourMarket on Jul 12, 2018, 8:07 AM)

kirby knitters

Jul 12, 2018, 8:50 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #368 of 425 (592 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or

Every cloud and in this instance it's the end for all those tournament "fans" who can now go and crawl back under whatever stones they came from and give the rest of us some peace for the next couple of years!!

jrev61

Jul 12, 2018, 9:13 AM

Team(s): None

Post #369 of 425 (572 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

You really think China will be a force in 2022? I saw them play a friendly against Wales this year. They lost 6-0 and were absolutely hopeless. It would be a miracle if they were to even qualify. I expect USA to qualify but not to be threat.

jrev61

leohoenig
Administrator

Jul 12, 2018, 9:48 AM

Post #370 of 425 (551 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

China a force in 2022? - I cannot see it happening until at least 12 years later. Even then, it is hard to imagine them as better than the South Korean and Japanese teams at this tournament.

England - after so many tournaments at which England have under-achieved, it is good to see the team exceed expectations. For once we have done this with a team that is young enough to play together in the next World Cup. Being pitted against Croatia again in the Nations League in the autumn will give the team further tests. With the sudden improvement in Croatian stock, England need to good just to avoid relegation. We cannot expect Spain to roll over in this.
England's away games, both to be played in October will be interesting. If UEFA do not give a reprieve, then the Croatia match will be played in a near empty Rijeka stadium. The Spain match is in Seville. The home matches are first and last, which is a good timetable.

Fat AND Pompous.

PaulC

Jul 12, 2018, 9:49 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #371 of 425 (550 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Itís a little known fact that the last time Scotland played the two finalists in World Cup football they beat them both home and away.Smile

leohoenig
Administrator

Jul 12, 2018, 10:22 AM

Post #372 of 425 (529 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] World Cup 2018 - General Discussion Thread [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Itís a little known fact that the last time Scotland played the two finalists in World Cup football they beat them both home and away.Smile

Not World Cup!
The last competitive meetings between Scotland and France were in qualificaton for Euro 2008, and Scotland won both. The last meeting between the pair was a 3-0 friendly defeat in France (June 2016). In the World Cup, they have met 3 times. In Sweden 1958 (France won 2-1) and in qualifying for 1990 (each team won at home).

For the Croatia meetings you are accurate. The four competitive meetings between the sides were all in World Cup qualification. In 2000/2001, both games were drawn, and in 2013, Scotland won twice.

Fat AND Pompous.

buncranaboy

Jul 12, 2018, 11:04 AM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #373 of 425 (507 views)
Shortcut

I didn't see anything to suggest this England side are yet capable of competing with, never mind beating, one of the better sides- of whom they didn't play any.
Lots of heart but they played just like Ireland do at major tournaments where ultimately your (creative) limitations are exposed.

Tim

Jul 12, 2018, 11:39 AM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #374 of 425 (491 views)
Shortcut

Well done for getting as far as they did. Well done to Gareth Southgate for getting so much out of limited raw materials and for creating a side that one can respect and be proud of.

Serious problems up front. Kane has done nowt in the last three games; neither Sterling, Rashford nor Vardy have looked remotely like scoring. Sterling still doesn't know when to release the ball; Rashford appears to be regressing.

Plus points: Trippier, Maguire and Stones all impressed and hopefully will be the core of the team for the immediate future.

paulh66

Jul 12, 2018, 11:45 AM

Post #375 of 425 (484 views)
Shortcut

I'd be very disappointed if individual players, the manager and the team as a whole didn't build on this. They're young enough and seem to have the right attitude, and enough of them should go on to be winners at top level club football which will help further. The Ox was a miss, given the form he was hitting before injury, but I agree creativity is the next step to address. Clear progress made, more to come, even though I suspect semi-finals will remain as rare as hens' teeth.

Well done Scotland though for finally adding another honour to their world championship of 1967. Tongue

First page Previous page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3