Worst train company

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 6, 2018, 9:50 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #201 of 234 (1641 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You have to laugh at some of the comments coming out from Andy Burnham about the people of the north and the hardships they are suffering because of the goings on with the timetable changes!! Does he not watch the news or read papers!

KnowYourMarket
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 6, 2018, 11:48 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #202 of 234 (1610 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hopefully he does not watch the news or read the papers as they are both full of shit stirring crap and endless hours of blathering on about diversity....

Last ground visited: Rochester United. Avg Goal 15/16: 4.43 Avg att 15/16: 392. New grounds 15/16: 37

jon b
First Team Star

Jun 8, 2018, 11:41 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #203 of 234 (1396 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think you're being a bit harsh on Mr Banjo and co. Shocked Their timings are spot on and they never cancel.

TroubleAtMill
Youth Team Star

Jun 9, 2018, 8:22 AM

Post #204 of 234 (1375 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

CBE for network rail boss https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44415339

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 10, 2018, 7:38 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #205 of 234 (1253 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TroubleAtMill] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There was a piece in the news a couple of days ago about some of the daft ideas being considered by my personal nomination for worst train company - Crosscountry, who run services to loads of places anywhere between Penzance and Aberdeen.

Their bright new idea revolves around thinking that, if a train is over-crowded, they could perhaps turn it into a 'set-down only' service - allowing people off the train, but not allowing other people on, not advertising the service at the next station and not announcing the next station to those waiting on the platform. This, they think, will ease crowding inside the carriages and raise customer satisfaction (though how satisfied those left behind on the platforms, or station staff, will be is another matter).

This isn't a new idea on the railways - I can remember catching a train to Sheffield in 1986 that was timetabled to stop at Chesterfield to 'pick-up only'. But from what I understand, Crosscountry's thinking seems to be to use it as a way of specifically dealing with overcrowding (though at the moment they seem to have stopped short of saying whether the on-board staff will be making the decisions on an as-and-when basis, or if these will be timetabled in).

Apparently, the problems tend to be between Exeter and Bristol, lines into Leeds, in the Birmingham area during peak commuter times, around Birmingham International, plus other heavy commuter routes. I'll also throw in their services between Oxford and Reading too (they can have that info for free). However, I think they underestimate the sly intelligence of your average commuter, many of whom will easily recognise the train they want and any of Crosscountry's snake-in-the-grass tactics of berthing it at an unannounced platform in a way that tourists and day-trippers won't.

It all sounds like the sort of thinking that'd make sense to the sort of pencil-pushers who run the railways these days, when anyone else could easily come up with a better solution. Despite being responsible for services over such long distance and periods of time (even when running on time, their Penzance to Edinburgh service takes nearly eleven hours), in my experience Crosscountry usually run trains of only four carriages, of which one will be first class. The easy solution: pay your bloody leasing company for more carriages!!

And another bit of info they can have for free - if you run a train that packed on a 600 mile journey with limited facilities, by the time you reach Bristol, it will (and does) stink like a blocked toilet. Twonks.

kirby knitters

Jun 11, 2018, 9:43 AM

Post #206 of 234 (1159 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

During the busy summer season XC when possible couple 2 units together but when travelling the distances they do calling at major destinations it is busy throughout the year and the number of times I have had trouble at Leeds and Newcastle is beyond belief. Always use the rickety old Northern Rail units to make my way back south to avoid them, to be fair it was no better when VT ran it.

bakis
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 11, 2018, 9:01 PM

Team(s): Kidderminster Harriers

Post #207 of 234 (1086 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As you say scheduled pick up or set down only stop have been around for years, though perhaps declining in number recently. Preventing passengers from Victoria to East Croydon crowding out people travelling further south, for example, makes much sense.
This Cross Country proposal, however, seems bound to antagonise people unnecessarily. Basically if someone gets off a train someone else can get on it and would feel aggrieved if not allowed to do so. It's about as illogical as a long distance train company having a reservation system that results in long distance travellers being ejected from their seats by someone going one stop and clutching a mobile phone. Now who thought of that one?

Richard Rundle

Jun 11, 2018, 10:24 PM

Post #208 of 234 (1068 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bakis] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And if you're travelling long distance on some of these Cross Country services, it's not like there will be another train along in 15 minutes.

Loiner
First Team Star

Jun 23, 2018, 9:21 PM

Team(s): None. A supporter of grassroots football

Post #209 of 234 (852 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The East Coast routes have a different operator from tomorrow with D O T owned LNER taking over from Virgin!

kirby knitters

Jun 23, 2018, 9:52 PM

Post #210 of 234 (821 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Loiner] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I walked through Kings Cross on the way to St Pancras this afternoon and all departures were being announced as LNER.

Loiner
First Team Star

Jun 23, 2018, 10:01 PM

Team(s): None. A supporter of grassroots football

Post #211 of 234 (806 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I walked through Kings Cross on the way to St Pancras this afternoon and all departures were being announced as LNER.

The official change over date is 24 June! So they were a bit premature with the announcements.

kirby knitters

Jun 23, 2018, 10:08 PM

Post #212 of 234 (794 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

The official change over date is 24 June! So they were a bit premature with the announcements.

Any trains depart Edinburgh/Newcastle tonight and arrive late in the early hours could be fun with the delay repay.Sly

scottywalds
First Team Star

Jun 24, 2018, 9:09 AM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #213 of 234 (747 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

They have phased over plenty of stuff to LNER this past week. Did you expect it all to be changed at midnight?

scottywalds
First Team Star

Jun 24, 2018, 9:10 AM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #214 of 234 (747 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Any trains depart Edinburgh/Newcastle tonight and arrive late in the early hours could be fun with the delay repay.Sly

Doubt it, it will be the same admin staff.

kirby knitters

Jun 24, 2018, 9:12 AM

Post #215 of 234 (744 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottywalds] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Doubt it, it will be the same admin staff.
-----
-----
Looks like everything went smoothly anyway.

kirby knitters

Jul 1, 2018, 9:38 AM

Post #216 of 234 (602 views)
Shortcut

So Govia Thameslink have been given a couple of weeks to sort out the shambles or the franchise will be taken off them. Good luck for any potential new owners but surely the damage has been done so will anyone go near it. Could the Government be forced into running it like they now do with the ECML?

leohoenig
Administrator

Jul 1, 2018, 10:51 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #217 of 234 (591 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
So Govia Thameslink have been given a couple of weeks to sort out the shambles or the franchise will be taken off them. Good luck for any potential new owners but surely the damage has been done so will anyone go near it. Could the Government be forced into running it like they now do with the ECML?

Perhaps the government can take over the network, one line at a time? Nationalisation by franchise

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 1, 2018, 12:05 PM

Post #218 of 234 (565 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It's an interesting interpretation that the government now 'runs' the ECML. What has happened is that the DoT's franchise is now run by a government-owned holding company, LNER, just as in the previous case on the same route when DOR (Directly Operated Railways) was appointed. That company was, and LNER now is, the 'operator of last resort', a provision in the legislation to cope with just these circumstances.

The railway will not be 'run' by civil servants but by a consortium of Arup Group (management), Ernst & Young (accounting) and SNC-Lavalin Rail & Transit (infrastructure and operations), the same agents who were employed last time.

kirby knitters

Jul 2, 2018, 8:23 AM

Post #219 of 234 (467 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Perhaps the government can take over the network, one line at a time? Nationalisation by franchise

-----
----
Which is exactly what would happen under a Corbyn led Labour government. As bad as things appear to be now on some sections of the network going back to those dark days when the comedians were making a living at the expense of BR is not something that I would look forward to.

jon b
First Team Star

Jul 11, 2018, 11:32 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #220 of 234 (292 views)
Shortcut

Operations Manager for Govia Thameslink submits his entry for Twat of the Year award.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...ss-packed-train.html

kirby knitters

Jul 12, 2018, 7:33 AM

Post #221 of 234 (267 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There are train managers who in instances like this will let common sense prevail by letting standard class ticket holders sit in first class IF there are non of the latter who have paid top whack already in that section. New timetable for Thameslink comes in to operation on Sunday and GTR will surely be stripped of the franchise within a fortnight of that as many are predicting a similar scenario to the last one.

paulh66

Jul 12, 2018, 10:20 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #222 of 234 (238 views)
Shortcut

The report I saw said there were plenty of standard class seats available in the carriages towards the rear of the train. If so (even, I suppose, if not), I fail to see why this is a story at all.

kirby knitters

Jul 12, 2018, 1:42 PM

Post #223 of 234 (192 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Anything that heaps more bad press on certain operators is worth a story even if TL were kind of in the right this time.

KnowYourMarket

Jul 13, 2018, 7:46 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #224 of 234 (127 views)
Shortcut

I once had a first class ticket and there was no room as it was full, presumably because 2nd class was full too and they just plonked down where there was a seat. No sign of a train manager and I couldn't be bothered to question if someone had a 1st class ticket or not.

I have never travelled with that operator since as I have a choice. I try and avoid Cross Country Trains too as they are often overcrowded.

Much easier to drive.

Last ground visited: Rochester United. Avg Goal 15/16: 4.43 Avg att 15/16: 392. New grounds 15/16: 37

TroubleAtMill
Youth Team Star

Jul 13, 2018, 8:32 AM

Post #225 of 234 (112 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Worst train company [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Simple solution, abolish classes of tickets, carriages, they're an anachronism.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3