Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Saturday 7th July 2018

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sheffgeoff
First Team Star

Jul 9, 2018, 6:53 PM

Team(s): Colchester United, Stocksbridge Park Steels, Borussia Dortmund & Essex CCC

Post #26 of 33 (1904 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ostrich] Saturday 7th July 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Pre Season Friendly
Gillingham Town 2 Sturminster Newton United 0
No admission or paperwork
Refreshments: bacon burger from the barbecue £3
Attendance: 141 (h/c)

Official opening of the new ground known as Woodwater Lane. From the old ground’s car park at the end of Hardings Lane, you merely drop down the dusty track alongside the former venue, and it levels out into a new car park and the new pitch is on your left. It’s about ¼ mile’s extra walk. The new car park can take around 50 cars, and there’s plenty of additional parking available alongside the track.

The single pitch is railed with hardstanding on all sides; the rails are infilled with mesh fencing panels. The pitch itself looked a bit worse for wear, but then everything does down here, we’re effectively in our 5th week of drought. The ground campus itself is enclosed by mesh security fencing – there were a number of gates open today as no admission was being charged and it was all pretty informal. The club buildings are a collection of converted containers and prefabricated structures, comprising a smallish bar with a small widescreen (patio area behind it), a hatchery serving hot and cold drinks and crisps, a toilet block and a changing room block. Two Perspex dugouts. For today, the furniture was enhanced by a further collection of patio tables and trestles for the cider festival, a Dextra Group curtainsider acting as a stage for the live music this evening (watching local country-rockers “Mustang Sally” warming up was marginally more entertaining than the football at one point) and a number of straw bales, one of which I perched on for a period in the first half.

There’s currently no cover. However, an area has been cleared behind the goal at the (shall we call it) Track End, and I understand the intention is that the small Atcost type covered stand will be lifted from the old ground and transported down to its new location. A local farmer will be doing this; however, the harvest has started early in the light of the weather conditions, so the move is on hold as and until the farmer can get around to it. There’s also no floodlighting, and whilst I guess this is an ambition, I suspect it won’t be anytime soon. The goal at the other end of the pitch backs onto land owned by Windy Ridge Farm, and various speculative housing developers have eyes on it, so it may be a race to get lights in before the NIMBYs arrive. Even though the new ground is in a splendidly rural location with some glorious views, especially from the far side of the pitch back towards the town, things may look very different in 5-10 years’ time, given the amount of development slated in and around the local area.

There was a formal communal ribbon-cutting ceremony at 12:00. I had thought about taking part in this, but in the event, the main participants seemed to be a horde of littlies accompanied by various local town dignitaries and politicians. Given the presence of a photographer, I decided I didn’t want my street cred completely trashed sometime in the future by pics of me posing with Conservative councillors surfacing on social media, so I kept firmly pitchside. Cool

The game itself was entirely what you would expect on the first Saturday in July, in blisteringly hot conditions – a pretty pedestrian affair, in which the home team looked marginally the better side and the 2-0 scoreline was about right, even if the last of the two easily-converted goals didn’t arrive until stoppage time. Stur had a pretty good team last season with some talented youngsters emerging, but they were a tad disappointing today. They might have got an 84th minute goal, but a direct free kick hit the underside of the crossbar, came down and bounced clear.

Also at Gillingham Town's Woodwater Lane ground opening excellently summed up by Ostrich.

Town deserve to be proud of their efforts to date to convert a field into what I am sure will eventually be a decent ground capable of hosting Western or Wessex League football. For now it is more than adequate for the Dorset Premier League.

The afternoon was a great success with the local community coming out in force to support the opening. The cider fest had an excellent range of fifteen ciders on offer. As I was driving I stuck to the soft drinks but I did take advantage of the hot food on offer and my bacon and cheese burger (£3) will take some beating this season.

I left after the footie but locals were still arriving in their England shirts and the musicians had completed their sound checks so I'm sure they would have partied long into the night.

Anyone wishing to check out Woodwater Lane, Town's next friendly is on Thursday at 19:00 v Laverstock & Ford.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 9, 2018, 10:04 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #27 of 33 (1797 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Saturday 7th July 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Friendly (3pm KO)
Dunfermline Athletic v Tranmere Rovers, 0-4, H.T. 0-1, Att 723,

Tranmere had a couple of fast and quite skillful forward players (Cole in particular) but their defence looked suspect at times and their greying number 5 (McNulty) was painfully slow.

The crowd was very sparse and included around 120 who had travelled to support Tranmere.

The Pars have stated a figure of 174 away fans at this game. In case you need it for your records.. Wink

Glad you noticed Macca! He's a very familiar figure to observers of League 2/National League football, partly because he's been conspicuously grey, heavy and slow for most of his career but also because, in every other respect, he's a superb defender at that level. In leading us back into the EFL he's just captained his third club to promotion into the league and was named in the National League team of the year too. Now 35, his lack of pace might be exposed at the higher level in the coming season, though his timing and positional play (a legacy of his 13 years at Liverpool up to the age of 20) has more than compensated so far. Key stat - Dunfermline 0!

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Jul 9, 2018, 10:06 PM)

andy smith
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 10, 2018, 5:49 AM

Team(s): The Pars

Post #28 of 33 (1697 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Saturday 7th July 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pre season friendly...
Dumbarton 0 (0)
Hearts 2 (1)
Admission £10
Prog' £2.50 (Team sheets also available)
Att' 442

Hearts as expected controlled most of the game taking the lead from a penalty early on, the second goal came 5 minutes from time.

(This post was edited by andy smith on Jul 10, 2018, 7:46 AM)

LLD
Reserve Team Star

Jul 11, 2018, 12:53 AM

Team(s): Livingston

Post #29 of 33 (1410 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Saturday 7th July 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
A double header today:

Friendly (12 Noon scheduled ko)
Heriot Watt University v Michelin AFC, 6-0 H.T. 1-0, Att 15 h/c, No admission, paper etc, Café open, Latte and Mint Chocolate Tray Bale £3.50
At ORIAM (Indoors)

Friendly (3pm KO)
Dunfermline Athletic v Tranmere Rovers, 0-4, H.T. 0-1, Att 723, Admission £10, Programme £2, Teamsheets free, Steak Bridie and Irn Bru £4
At East End Park

prorege and I ended up with identical ideas for a Saturday double bill, though my plan was changed with the unfortunate cancellation of the St Mirren v Bolton Wanderers game which I had planned to double up with St Rochs.
As it turned out, the Oriam and East End Park combination turned out alright, even if both games ended up with a one sided feel about them.
I was interested to find out what the standard of the Ballymena Saturday Morning League was like and if Michelin are indicative, then it isn't very good. I think I'll go a long way to see a poorer side this season.
Not that the Irish side lacked effort, but it was clear that they weren't as 'serious' an outfit as Heriot Watt who, as has been noted in prorege's account, took a much more organised approach.

In the second game, Dunfermline were a massive disappointment, although the scoreline was embellished thanks to Pars keeper Lee Robinson who made two uncharacteristic howlers.
They qualified for the Premiership play offs last season, losing unluckily to Dundee United, but on the very early evidence of this game, that might be a tricky achievement to replicate this time round.
While the game might have been better, the steak bridies at East End Park were up to the usual high standard.

The most comprehensive source for Scottish football fixtures: scottishfootballfixtures.wordpress.com

codofthenorth
First Team Sub

Jul 11, 2018, 5:10 PM

Team(s):

Post #30 of 33 (1292 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LLD] Saturday 7th July 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FC TPS 3-2 PS KEMI....Finnish Premier....Adm 20 euro...Prog Free

Always good when work brings you to pastures new and pays for the travel. Arrived in Turku airport at 1am on the day of the game and drove the 60 mile to the north staying on the coast in Rauma....avoiding the wild moose along the way.
Found the ground in Turku ok, they share with Inter Turku at the Veritas Stadium. FC TPS were only promoted in the play off's last season and the bloke I chatted to reckoned promotion came a season to early...the team are young and could have done with another season to mature. Todays encounter saw second bottom TPS play bottom of the league Kemi...a side from 500km up to the north.
They used to play at a ground with a running track round it, close by but thankfully they moved on. No parking charges at the ground, it's the Ice Hockey that provides the cash cow in these parts.
The weather was red hot for this 2pm encounter, only the one Main Stand was open...in this three sided all seater ground. Shame it was the one the sun was in the process of melting.
I'm sure there was a Hopper in attendance but no posts so far to claim credit...was wearing a London Pride beer top.
The first half was no classic, one chance on 8 minutes then nothing till the opening goal on 35 minutes. TPS opened the scoring and it was an eventful 10 minutes up until half time.
After the break, TPS hit the post on 48 minutes only for Kemi to equalise on 50 minutes to square it at 1-1.
Kemi then took the lead on 63 minutes but the home side pulled level a minute later...2-2.
The best goal of the game was saved till the 75th minute, a lovely passing move executed perfectly past the keeper. A really decent second half as TPS took the points. A few fans in Sweden tops, little did they know that England would be kicking them out of the World Cup later this afternoon.
From there it was a 2 minute car ride to the TPS Womens ground.

TPS Women 3-2 Jy PK....Adm 5 euro....team sheet included.

Not too bad a game here either, set in woodland close to Turku centre. It looks like it's some American Football ground with just the one Main Stand but tidy enough all the same. Sausages were on the BBQ just as they were at the TPS Stadium along with cake and other local delights. The teams both sat comfortably mid table but the visitors had almost twice the points that the home ladies had. Jy PK also possessed the League leading scorer in their ranks.
TPS Ladies went 1-0 down in the 6th minute but had levelled by the 11th when the handy No 27 cut in from the left wing and converted. A pretty even first half as both sides fancied their chances.
TPS took the lead on 58 minutes with a long range effort only for Jy Pk to level on 64 with a close range header after poor defending and confusion in the box....2-2 all to play for.
TPS hit the bar and soon after it was the TPS No 15 who beat the away defender for pace to give TPS another 3-2 victory.
After the final whistle both teams lined up and went through the handshake formality again before the official presentations started on the pitch for Woman of the Match etc, as both sides applauded sportingly.

So Many Grounds....So little time!!

Sussexhopper
First Team Star

Jul 14, 2018, 11:29 AM

Team(s): Worthing Brighton Burnley

Post #31 of 33 (948 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CleethorpesOggy] Saturday 7th July 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Pre-season friendly
Cleethorpes Town 4 Grimsby Town 3
Att: 1800 Adm: £5 Prog: £1.50

A momentous and highly enjoyable occasion at New Linden, as the Owls returned home after six years at Bradley.

Conditions could not have been more different from ten weeks ago at a cold and wet Stamford. The sun beat down throughout on the capacity crowd, which was well accommodated at the new facilities. I did not hear many grumbles apart from the pitch, which really needs a good dose of rain!

League Two Grimsby eased into a two goal lead before an own goal provided Clee with a lifeline. The second period was a different story, as the home side dominated against a youthful Mariners. New boy Lewis Collins produced an excellent strike on 86 minutes to settle matters.

Probably a fair result overall and a first ever win over Grimsby. We look to be assembling a very strong squad for our Evostik East campaign and I will be disappointed if we are not in the top five.

Many people stayed behind to watch the England match and then a BBQ in the glorious evening sunshine. All in all, a fantastic start to my football season!

Firstly many thanks for sorting me out a couple of tickets for this. Really enjoyed the game and impressed with Cleethorpes performance. Enjoyed the scooter rally before the game and even managed to squeeze in a couple of GBG ticks before the game at the station and at the Signal Box.

CleethorpesOggy
Youth Team Sub

Jul 15, 2018, 2:11 PM

Team(s): Cleethorpes Town FC; Arnold Town FC; Nottingham Forest FC

Post #32 of 33 (781 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sussexhopper] Saturday 7th July 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Firstly many thanks for sorting me out a couple of tickets for this. Really enjoyed the game and impressed with Cleethorpes performance. Enjoyed the scooter rally before the game and even managed to squeeze in a couple of GBG ticks before the game at the station and at the Signal Box.

No problem at all! I'm glad you enjoyed your day in Cleethorpes and were not too inconvenienced by the earlier kick-off.

royf
Youth Team Sub

Aug 4, 2018, 8:10 PM

Team(s): Sheffield FC, Glentoran, Tottenham, Rangers, Santa Maria (Cape Verde)

Post #33 of 33 (594 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CleethorpesOggy] Saturday 7th July 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PSF Sheffield 1 Chesterfield 5 - £5 in £2 prog Teamsheet by donation (20p) Attendance 418
Easy enough for the newly non-league visitors after an even first 20.

2018 /19 Games 14 Goals 49 New grounds 2 New clubs 5

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3