Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
Sports presenters mistakes

First page Previous page 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 Next page Last page  View All

scottywalds
First Team Star

Jun 29, 2018, 7:11 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #1051 of 1076 (4695 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Didn't Glenn Hoddle say using discipline to separate teams with equal records should be replaced with goals and entertaining football. Sorry Glenn we already have goal difference and goals scored and they were equal.

He really is a gimp and actually makes Conor McNamara look competent.

What he actually said is that England should have been ahead by the fact they scored more than Belgium in a single game (6, compard to Belgium's best of 5).

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 29, 2018, 7:28 PM

Post #1052 of 1076 (4685 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottywalds] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My recollection was that Hoddle said that what should be looked at is the "margin" of a victory. Therefore, if England and Belgium had finished level on points you would use the fact that England had a 5 goal "margin" over Panama, compared to Belgium's biggest margin of 3, to place England first.

Either way, using goals scored in one random match rather than against all the teams in a group is such a brilliant idea that it is amazing no one else has ever thought of it.

KnowYourMarket
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 2, 2018, 8:59 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #1053 of 1076 (4504 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottywalds] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Didn't Glenn Hoddle say using discipline to separate teams with equal records should be replaced with goals and entertaining football. Sorry Glenn we already have goal difference and goals scored and they were equal.

What he actually said is that England should have been ahead by the fact they scored more than Belgium in a single game (6, compard to Belgium's best of 5).

So you are confirming it is nonsense then. What about if we did a Tunisia head to head instead? It was such a good idea the commentator swiftly moved on to commentating on the game.....

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Tuffley Rovers . New grounds 18/19: 29

(This post was edited by KnowYourMarket on Jul 2, 2018, 8:59 AM)

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 2, 2018, 9:39 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #1054 of 1076 (4491 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Can't argue with any of this but I'd still have Hoddle over Lawro or Phil Neville any day of the week.

Interesting that ITV have now got Gary Neville co-commentating but alarming signs he's starting to imitate his brother's whispering style - something I haven't noticed him doing on Sky. Far better insight though and, unlike his brother, has progressed well since a memorably cringeworthy debut: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7_psebBaOFM

KnowYourMarket

Jul 2, 2018, 9:54 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #1055 of 1076 (4482 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Neville wasn't too bad yesterday. I do find him droning on about "that's not good enough" on Sky. He has no humour. They should bring some humour to the table and not a monotonous drone.

10 points to any pundit that does not say "pace and power"

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Tuffley Rovers . New grounds 18/19: 29

jrev61

Jul 2, 2018, 11:29 AM

Team(s): None

Post #1056 of 1076 (4462 views)
Shortcut

In a Portugal game, Mark Lawrenson was talking about Pepe chuntering away through the game. He said 'He even talks in his sleep'.
Not sure how he knows that.Smile

jrev61

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 2, 2018, 10:13 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #1057 of 1076 (4389 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Opps, Mr Lineker.

At the end of tonight's Belgium v Japan game he said the last team to come back from two goals down to win a World Cup knockout round match were Germany (he didn't say West) against England way back in 1970, forgetting they also came back from 3-1 down in extra time to beat France on penalties in their 1982 semi-finalCool.

(This post was edited by cherryhopper on Jul 2, 2018, 10:26 PM)

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 2, 2018, 11:22 PM

Post #1058 of 1076 (4351 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The commentator tonight welcomed us to Rostov-on-Don in "south east Russia". Well I suppose 5000 miles is close enough.

scottywalds
First Team Star

Jul 4, 2018, 7:46 PM

Post #1059 of 1076 (3696 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Opps, Mr Lineker.

At the end of tonight's Belgium v Japan game he said the last team to come back from two goals down to win a World Cup knockout round match were Germany (he didn't say West) against England way back in 1970, forgetting they also came back from 3-1 down in extra time to beat France on penalties in their 1982 semi-finalCool.

A game which finishes with a penalty shoot out goes down as a draw. Penalties decide who advances in/wins the tournament.

jon b
First Team Star

Jul 4, 2018, 11:39 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #1060 of 1076 (3641 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colpic] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

There are some truly dreadful 'experts' out there but 'at this moment in time' Hoddle is the worst by a country mile.

Being a lousy match commentator is karma payback for something he did in a previous life.

as5680
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 6, 2018, 11:28 PM

Team(s): Wolves, plus a general interest in non-league football in Devon & Cornwall.

Post #1061 of 1076 (3399 views)
Shortcut
Re: Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

After Brazil's defeat tonight, Radio 5 Live announced on at least two occasions that there would be an all-European semi-final line-up at a World Cup for the first time ever.

Quite who was responsible for that piece of 'research' I have no idea.

jrev61

Jul 7, 2018, 9:16 AM

Team(s): None

Post #1062 of 1076 (3361 views)
Shortcut
Re: [as5680] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

At the start of the Brazil v. Belgium quarter final the commentator described it as an FA Cup quarter final. Presumably Belgium go on to play Chelsea at Wembley.

jrev61

northstandexile
First Team Regular

Jul 7, 2018, 1:16 PM

Team(s): Mansfield Town

Post #1063 of 1076 (3336 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The other day on Radio 2 Chris Evans show, a listener emailed in and asked Vavos the sports guy if England played Belgium in the final, would this be first time two teams had meet in group stage and final in same World Cup. He said No, never happened before.

I suppose he wasn’t born in 1962 when Brazil played Czechoslovakia

Towlawtom
Youth Team Star

Jul 7, 2018, 1:29 PM

Post #1064 of 1076 (3321 views)
Shortcut
Re: [northstandexile] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or

We all make mistakes and yes better research is often needed. I can remember recently when i made a Post about the greatest players not to play in a World Cup Finals Tournament and included Paul Gascoigne.Blush

I need to have the last word as it makes it look as if i'm always right!

stingray
First Team Star

Jul 7, 2018, 6:17 PM

Team(s): Step 4/5 local sides

Post #1065 of 1076 (3293 views)
Shortcut
Re: [northstandexile] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The other day on Radio 2 Chris Evans show, a listener emailed in and asked Vavos the sports guy if England played Belgium in the final, would this be first time two teams had meet in group stage and final in same World Cup. He said No, never happened before.

I suppose he wasn’t born in 1962 when Brazil played Czechoslovakia

56 years ago - I doubt any of the current crop on daytime Radio 2 remember 1962.

But as we all know, football wasn't invented until 1992... Cool

19 goals in 4 games
£36.00 spent

leohoenig
Administrator

Jul 7, 2018, 6:38 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #1066 of 1076 (3286 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stingray] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Don't forget 1954.

20 June. Basel. Hungary 8-3 West Germany (group game)
4 July. Berne. Hungary 2-3 West Germany (final)

Incidentally, Five German players in the final did not play the first game, only one Hungarian

The referee, William Ling (England) was the same for both games, as was one linesman, Benjamin Griffiths (Wales)

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 8, 2018, 9:53 AM

Team(s): Fareham Town - THE CREEKSIDERS

Post #1067 of 1076 (3214 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not a sports reporter as such but the BBC news reporter in Samara kept calling the Gareth Southgate lookalike Gareth rather than his real name Nick this morning. Cool

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor
www.facebook.com/nonleaguebins

A football club is for life, not just for trophies

Towlawtom
Youth Team Star

Jul 10, 2018, 8:02 PM

Post #1068 of 1076 (2891 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or

The expert BBC commentary team of Steve Wilson and Danny Murphy made reference to the famous Maradona Photo when he was surrounded by several Belgium players at the 86 world cup Semi final. No guys that was taken from The opening game of the 82 world cup.

I need to have the last word as it makes it look as if i'm always right!

Ropemaker

Jul 10, 2018, 10:47 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #1069 of 1076 (2851 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Towlawtom] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The BBC commentary team for the France v Belgium semi said Belgium had beaten teams from all 5 FIFA confederations in their 5 games up to the semi.

Obviously forgetting Oceania, even if they had no representatives at the finals.

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

scottywalds
First Team Star

Jul 12, 2018, 3:32 PM

Post #1070 of 1076 (2605 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Towlawtom] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The expert BBC commentary team of Steve Wilson and Danny Murphy made reference to the famous Maradona Photo when he was surrounded by several Belgium players at the 86 world cup Semi final. No guys that was taken from The opening game of the 82 world cup.

However the truth about that photo is that it was just after a direct free kick, and the players are breaking out from a defensive wall.

as5680
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 15, 2018, 4:04 PM

Team(s): Wolves, plus a general interest in non-league football in Devon & Cornwall.

Post #1071 of 1076 (2285 views)
Shortcut

Seconds into the World Cup final and the BBC claiming that this is the fourth successive all-European final - I'm sure the commentators just read out the stats they are given, but how do they not notice a mistake like that? Did they not see Argentina in the final four years ago?!

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 9, 2018, 12:29 AM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #1072 of 1076 (1158 views)
Shortcut
Re: [as5680] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've found myself really rather narked all day today, as every news report I've read/seen/heard has described Ben Stokes as acting "like a FOOTBALL hooligan during a brawl".

But of course, you'd never get violent drunken homophobic thugs involved in a cultured sports like cricket...

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 11, 2018, 8:18 PM

Post #1073 of 1076 (978 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Saturday morning's Oxford Mail...

Oxford United manager Karl Robinson talking about last week's 0-4 defeat: "Barnsley played as well as they can, and we played just about as badly as we can too. THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN."

Saturday afternoon at the Kassam...

Oxford United 0 Fleetwood Town 2. IT HAPPENED AGAIN! Laugh

leohoenig
Administrator

Aug 11, 2018, 9:47 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #1074 of 1076 (961 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Sports presenters mistakes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If its a direct quote of a manager, then it is not a Sports Presenters Mistakes
This comes into the same category as if Gary Johnson starts singing "Things can only get better"

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

(This post was edited by leohoenig on Aug 11, 2018, 9:47 PM)

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 12, 2018, 12:01 AM

Post #1075 of 1076 (930 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
If its a direct quote of a manager, then it is not a Sports Presenters Mistakes
This comes into the same category as if Gary Johnson starts singing "Things can only get better"

It was from Karl Robinson's own personal weekly column in the newspaper, as he straddles that blurred line between sports writer and manager. Like Dion Dublin flogging houses or Robbie Fowler when he calls in a particularly nasty bunch of bailiffs. It made me laugh, anyway.

Admittedly, a better line is the Oxford Mail's headline just before the kick-off for the new season, which read 'Fearless U's Are Raring To Go' just before they promptly shipped four at Barnsley. After no wins, two defeats, none scored, six let in and bottom of the league, I think they're raring to go to Forest Green! Tongue

First page Previous page 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3