Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Administration: Messages from / Questions to Administrators:
Site Security

steve walker
Administrator

Jun 26, 2018, 4:40 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 8 (20785 views)
Shortcut
Site Security Can't Post or Reply Privately

You may have seen a few odd goings on this afternoon, images not loading and pop ups about not finding menus etc.
This is because I was moving the site onto the more secure https platform and decided to just get on with on the live site rather than shut it down not knowing how long it would take.
As far as I can tell all is now working as it should. You won't notice any difference aparet from a nice little green padlock in the browser bar.
Cheers.... Steve

royals26
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 28, 2018, 9:34 AM

Team(s): Reading

Post #2 of 8 (20685 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Site Security [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

May be purely incidental (it usually is Tongue) ... but for me IE has stopped working altogether for this site - I'm having a good dig about as I think a couple of other sites may be similarly impacted by recent security changes.
Thought it might be settings related to content on 'social meejah' but checked another football forum I use a lot and it works fine in IE.

....so on here the front page loads with a yellow banner warning about security certificates and selecting the Forum option itself, brings up the dreaded "Internet explorer has stopped working" usually followed by the Website restore error panel - with this as a error condition:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: iexplore.exe
Application Version: 8.0.7601.17514
Application Timestamp: 4ce79912
Fault Module Name: mshtml.dll
Fault Module Version: 8.0.7601.17514
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ce7b8f3
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 003c87bc
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I've tried running without add-ons but to no avail. Might try upgrading IE from 8 if I can....... but did that before and this machine ran like a slug.

Looking on the bleak side ...to the relief of many Tongue - this might herald an interlude and a temporary 'end of an earache' as, if this is not something easily resolved, my time on here will be severely cut-back.

I'm b&ggered if I'm going to post as regularly using the Chrome platform, as for me, that doesn't appear to have an Advanced Editor option - unless there's an easy solution to that conundrum.
The Basic Editor is pretty [email protected] on Chrome too, as none of the 'features' are easy to use - no colour readily available, icon and text settings always appear at the very end of all text, wherever you try and insert them, which is a real pain in the d*&%

Might go back to using Firefox but in my experience, that would fall over more often than Maradona on a night out (or in!)

....any ideas?

[of course the obvious solution would be to upgrade from my clackety old Desktop - may well treat myself if I've managed to hold on to my job in the latest re-structure Angelic ]

steve walker
Administrator

Jun 28, 2018, 2:02 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 8 (20645 views)
Shortcut
Re: [royals26] Site Security [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

IE8 is obsolete and hasn't had a security update in many years. IE11 is the only supported version of Internet Explorer and that is about 3 years old! Microsoft are trying to get everyone off IE and onto Edge as that is now the default Windows browser.
You need to upgrade immediately or get different browser. I use Firefox and don't have any problems.

royals26

Jun 28, 2018, 4:47 PM

Post #4 of 8 (20624 views)
Shortcut

Hmmmmm .... That'll be it then - odd that it's only packed in altogether this month ....

but I'll move with the times and try an upgrade. Unimpressed

Ta

scottywalds
First Team Star

Jun 28, 2018, 9:41 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #5 of 8 (20590 views)
Shortcut

You should have got IE9, 10 and 11 as part of Windows Update. Please don't tell me you never update your machine..!

steve walker
Administrator

Jun 28, 2018, 10:23 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 8 (20577 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottywalds] Site Security [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

IE8 is about ten years old. You see this is the problem I have when ppl complain that the site doesn't work. I don't know what their setup is at their end. I try to replicate problems but I can't because I always keep my software up to date via automatic updates.

If you have the latest updates for your operating system and browser, which requires no work at all it's all automated, you haven't set your privacy levels to above normal and you don't have some sort of supposed cookie manager programme installed then you shouldn't be having problems with this site or any other. Anti-Virus programmes like McCafee can also interfere with settings... if it isn't working then it's SOMETHING at your end... I can't tell you what as I am not sitting in front of your machine.

This site runs on https now meaning it's more secure hence the green padlock in the browser bar to indicate that. I didn't work on that change to make myself feel good but because it is becoming more and more of a requirement in this digital privacy age. If you have a problem with this site but not with others that don't have the green padlock then it is because those sites are not secure and you need to make sure you have the latest updates to your operating system and browser.

royals26

Jun 29, 2018, 11:23 AM

Post #7 of 8 (20528 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
A - IE8 is about ten years old. You see this is the problem I have when ppl complain that the site doesn't work. I don't know what their setup is at their end. I try to replicate problems but I can't because I always keep my software up to date via automatic updates.

B - If you have the latest updates for your operating system and browser, which requires no work at all it's all automated, you haven't set your privacy levels to above normal and you don't have some sort of supposed cookie manager programme installed then you shouldn't be having problems with this site or any other. Anti-Virus programmes like McCafee can also interfere with settings... if it isn't working then it's SOMETHING at your end... I can't tell you what as I am not sitting in front of your machine.

C - This site runs on https now meaning it's more secure hence the green padlock in the browser bar to indicate that. I didn't work on that change to make myself feel good but because it is becoming more and more of a requirement in this digital privacy age. If you have a problem with this site but not with others that don't have the green padlock then it is because those sites are not secure and you need to make sure you have the latest updates to your operating system and browser.

A - I have allowed a re-install of IE11 - so can access now.

NOTE I have been at higher releases of IE before so it's not as if I have NEVER upgraded - I fully accept that my ageing desktop is the main issue - it doesn't run at all well with newer software and a system crash in Feb caused me to re-load Windows from the original disks - hence why I had 'reverted to IE8.
- it was working fine on here and on all other sites until this month. I only used it specifically because Chrome does not allow Advanced Editor Options - I do tend to use Chrome as my default for the internet.
(NB it was not meant to be phrased as a 'complaint' - I fully understood the issue and on this occasion accepted it was mine to overcome)-

- my original point was that my access with IE8 had been fine up to a point and it had only 'gone wrong' in the last week or so.

B - All new platform/application software will suffer from compatibility issues and it is not feasible to replicate all eventualities beforehand or even after. Even large corporations with fully functioning IT depts will fall foul of this type of obstacle - they certainly do wherever I've worked. Angelic
The reaction of your userbase to change, will invariably be amplified when a problem has occurred without them doing anything - as is the case here. People will naturally 'complain' if they do not perceive they have actively caused the issue.
I DO NOT have any fancy security settings/facilities and I always set privacy levels to accept more or less anything.

C - I do not see a green padlock in my browser bar in IE on here now but I do see it on Chrome .... if that makes any difference.

(This post was edited by royals26 on Jun 29, 2018, 11:35 AM)

steve walker
Administrator

Jun 29, 2018, 12:19 PM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 8 (20508 views)
Shortcut

Fair enough. I did get the impression you had never downloaded an update since IE8 which would have been a little extreme, but you have put me right there :)
There have been a couple of changes to the forum in the past month but both have been forced on me, GDPR and https. I'm going to start a new thread for anyone that is having technical problems since these changes.
Cheers.... Steve

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3