Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Who will be the next high street chain to bite the bullet?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 20, 2018, 10:15 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #151 of 155 (523 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Who will be the next high street chain to bite the bullet? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I thought this interesting...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44411338

...an article listing the types of retail premises that suffered the most closures and the most new openings (net figures) during 2017.

Biggest net increases are:

Barbers ................... 624
Beauty salons .......... 388
Vaping shops/tobacconists .... 381
Cafes/tea rooms ...... 353
Nail salons .............. 176
Restaurants & bars .... 174
Coffee shops ............ 158
Pizza takeaways ........ 145
Health clubs ............. 100
Mobile phone shops .... 97
Bars ........................ 94
Chemists ................. 91
Funeral directors ....... 85
Pizzerias ................. 78
Tattoo/piercing .......... 77
Chinese takeaways ..... 77

Biggest net decreases:

Pubs & inns ............... 747
Bank branches ............ 711
Travel agents ............. 679
Post offices ................ 577
Newsagents ............... 364
Estate agents ............ 349
Women's clothes ........ 311
Convenience shops ...... 305
Shoe shops ................ 304
Fashion ..................... 274
Bookmakers ............... 176
Computer shops ......... 144
Gift shops .................. 137
Indian restaurants ....... 137
Discount stores ........... 131

Pubs, banks and travel agents closing down is all old (though still sad) news, but I'm surprised to see shoe shops there - that's an area of retail I thought that supermarkets had only dabbled in up to now. And I always thought it not the sort of thing people would by on the internet - I personally wouldn't dream of buying a pair of my Docs without trying them on first.

I have to admit to being very suspicious whenever I see a nail salon opening up. About eight years ago, a small iron mongers in Oxford called Gill's sadly closed down after many years - run by three blokes in brown aprons, you could buy single nails/screws/fuses (try doing that in B&Q), useful off-cuts of wood or tile, and loads of other things. And the place always seemed full of customers. Unfortunately, the rent went up and up beyond what they could afford and they chose to close the shop (though last I heard they still have a shop in Chipping Norton). Instead, the shop is now a nail salon - never any customers in there when I walk past each day. So how the hell do THEY pay the rent?

Another established clothes shop called Oaks moved out of the Oxford Covered Market a couple of years ago and into a much less glamorous location, saying that the rents had gone too high for them. Fair enough, but then their old unit in the market is taken over by a bloke selling a few t-shirts and fridge-magnets to the bleedin' tourists. If an established retailer like Oaks can't afford the rent, how come some sub-standard Arthur Daley selling tat CAN?

I appreciate that shops open and shops close, but I've got a feeling that the playing-field ain't very level between one side of this list and the other.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 21, 2018, 5:44 AM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #152 of 155 (481 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Who will be the next high street chain to bite the bullet? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Poundworld goes into administration.

Closing-down sale starts today...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44554450

Poundworld has 355 shops and employs 5,100 staff, although the administrators are hopeful that some shops and jobs can be saved.

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Jun 21, 2018, 1:44 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #153 of 155 (428 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Who will be the next high street chain to bite the bullet? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Poundworld goes into administration.

Closing-down sale starts today...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44554450

Poundworld has 355 shops and employs 5,100 staff, although the administrators are hopeful that some shops and jobs can be saved.

Does this mean everything will be on sale for 1?

KnowYourMarket
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 22, 2018, 7:47 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #154 of 155 (354 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Who will be the next high street chain to bite the bullet? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I buy all of my footwear online, I'm a size 11 and I'm at an age now where I don't need my Mum to take me to get my feet measuredWink

Molders tells me Buncranaboy goes to Shoe Zone, well his wife does....

Last ground visited: Rochester United. Avg Goal 15/16: 4.43 Avg att 15/16: 392. New grounds 15/16: 37

(This post was edited by KnowYourMarket on Jun 22, 2018, 7:49 AM)

Tim
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 22, 2018, 9:08 AM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #155 of 155 (338 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Who will be the next high street chain to bite the bullet? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

United Footwear are also very good. No animals are harmed whilst manufacturing their shoes.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3