Home: Non-League Football Discussion: General Discussion:
Gateshead sale falls through and there going part-time

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Jun 12, 2018, 11:05 PM

Team(s): Darlington and Sunderland

Post #1 of 5 (2623 views)
Shortcut
Gateshead sale falls through and there going part-time Can't Post or Reply Privately

Gatesheads sale has fell through and there going Part-Time

[url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44458631]Gateshead to go part-time after buyer withdraws takeover bid

Gateshead will move to a part-time set-up while new ownership is sought, after potential investors withdrew following discussions with the National League.

The would-be buyers "failed to satisfy various aspects of the competition's requirements", a club statement said.

Current owners Richard and Julie Bennett will continue their ownership but the football operation will no longer run on a full-time basis.

Richard Bennett said the interested party "withheld important information".

"First and foremost in our minds is the long-term future of the club and Julie and I have decided to continue our ownership until such time as a credible buyer can be found," Bennett said.

"Someone who, in our opinion, is right for the club."

The husband and wife duo took over from Graham Wood in May 2015, with the aim of returning The Heed to the Football League for the first time since 1960.

They maintained the club's full-time status, but promotion has eluded them as did an FA Trophy final this past season after Bromley beat them in the last four.

"We simply cannot afford to continue running the club on a full-time basis in the meantime and regrettably cuts in all areas of expenditure are a necessity," Bennett continued.

"Naturally, we will look to remain competitive at the highest level of non-league football but we'll need to become one of a growing number of part-time clubs in the national division."

Mista Fozz

Husband, Dad, Mascot Extraordinaire and all round Idiot

nisi tu Deus, qui possit iudicare
My Facebook Profile
My Twitter Feed

(This post was edited by MistaFozzII on Jun 12, 2018, 11:06 PM)

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 12, 2018, 11:34 PM

Post #2 of 5 (2554 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MistaFozzII] Gateshead sale falls through and there going part-time [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The husband and wife duo took over ... in May 2015, with the aim of returning The Heed to the Football League for the first time since 1960.

They were never going to get away with that on here.

trevor56
Youth Team Regular

Jun 14, 2018, 6:39 AM

Post #3 of 5 (1459 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Gateshead sale falls through and there going part-time [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I can see a relegation battle for them

Northumbrian
Youth Team Star

Jun 14, 2018, 7:18 AM

Team(s): Ponteland Utd, Newcastle Utd

Post #4 of 5 (1412 views)
Shortcut
Re: [trevor56] Gateshead sale falls through and there going part-time [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I can see a relegation battle for them

Agreed! I wouldn’t be surprised if they drop at least a couple of levels over the next few seasons. I went to 8 of their home matches last season, the highlight being beating Leyton Orient in the Trophy, great set of supporters but just not enough of them.

ladderman
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 14, 2018, 7:58 AM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #5 of 5 (1364 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Gateshead sale falls through and there going part-time [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
The husband and wife duo took over ... in May 2015, with the aim of returning The Heed to the Football League for the first time since 1960.

They were never going to get away with that on here.

There seems to be a theory that if you say something enough it becomes true. The Donald is a master at this. It's also why I say "morning Kylie" every day.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3