AndyE
First Team Star

Jun 5, 2018, 3:00 PM

Team(s): Chatham Town

Post #1 of 71 (9651 views)
Shortcut
Getting To Football is back ...! Can't Post or Reply Privately

... Well, on its way back.

As some readers will know, for a variety of reasons I've not been able to keep the Getting To Football website up to date for the last couple of years. But it's back for 2018-19, and more comprehensive than ever.

Whether the old website format will return I don't really know yet; the PDF format which I'm working with at the moment is a whole lot easier to write and a whole lot easier to print if anyone really wants to print out the whole lot.

Anyway, I've made a start on the 2018-19 content. So far, I've done England down to Step 4 (and four of the Step 5 leagues, with more to follow in the coming days), and the top flights in Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales.

Please shout if anything is horribly wrong, especially if a club has moved grounds without telling me!

(Incidentally, is it just me or has the forum software developed a minor fault? Sometimes but not always, I'm finding that I have to press Enter thrice if I want a blank line between paragraphs.)
Attachments: Football 2018-19.pdf (285 KB)

ARNOLD241
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 5, 2018, 3:10 PM

Post #2 of 71 (9619 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Getting To Football is back ...! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Great work Andy! Thanks for sharing.

Ashtree RockBee
First Team Star

Jun 5, 2018, 4:26 PM

Team(s): Ashford Town (Middlesex), Bognor Regis Town, Brentford

Post #3 of 71 (9459 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Getting To Football is back ...! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

What a labour of love! Fantastic!

For the record, you enter Bognor Regis Town's ground in Nyewood Lane itself, opposite Normanton Avenue. I believe Elain Llwyd Avenue West is where the turnstile for away fans in big FA Cup games is housed and it hasn't been used for donkey's years.

Darren Lovell
First Team Star

Jun 5, 2018, 5:39 PM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #4 of 71 (9316 views)
Shortcut

Quite simply outstanding work Andy! The format works very well! Small enough to save on a mobile phone!

Grounds Visited 300
Last New Ground: Southampton
Last Game: Folkestone Invicta 0-5 Maidstone United
Pre-Season Friendly 09.07.18
Games In Season 2018-19: 1
New Grounds This Season: 0
Goals This Season: 5
Ave goals per game: 5.00

FCUtdWill
Youth Team Star

Jun 5, 2018, 6:13 PM

Team(s): Huddersfield Town, AFC Bolnore, Gibraltar

Post #5 of 71 (9256 views)
Shortcut

Brilliant work Andy! Iíve been compiling a directory of all the clubs in England for the last few seasons but never gone into detail like you have!

One question though, how far are you going to go down in the pyramid?

http://www.englishfootballdatabase.weebly.com

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 5, 2018, 7:10 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #6 of 71 (9159 views)
Shortcut

Thank you so much for this, Andy.

As someone who relies on public transport to get to and from matches, your information has always been a great help. A fantastic job - I tip my hat to you, and thank you again.

scottywalds
First Team Star

Jun 5, 2018, 8:45 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #7 of 71 (8975 views)
Shortcut

Closest rail station to Bradford PA is now Low Moor, around 1.3 miles away.

Also, worth mentioning for FCUM that Moston rail station is close by, as well as the Metrolink (Moston is closer, just!).

Top work!

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 5, 2018, 9:03 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #8 of 71 (8928 views)
Shortcut

Even though I drive to most my games and, if using public transport, resort to googlemaps, I've still had a fair bit of use out of this site over the years. Very useful and much appreciated resource, not least for the time and effort that's gone into it.

As for getting to Tranmere, Rock Ferry is actually the nearest station at 1.1 miles - sometimes use it myself. I'll bow to your knowledge about bus routes but, to fill in a gap in the document, Birkenhead bus station is virtually just across the road from Conway Park train station - a 2-3 minute walk between the two, I'd say.

AndyE
First Team Star

Jun 5, 2018, 10:37 PM

Post #9 of 71 (8707 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Getting To Football is back ...! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for the kind remarks! To address some of the points raised, in order:

Bognor Regis Town: I've been there, and I didn't recognise that Welsh name. But Google Streetview has it that the road which passes under the BRTFC sign and finishes somewhere behind the stand is the Welsh named road. Is it not so?

My current plan is to go down to Step 6. Step 7 would be as much work again, especially since a lot of Step 7 clubs don't have websites and just finding out where they play can be tricky. (Even some Football League clubs don't actually give their address anywhere on their website. I suppose they think "Our supporters already know, and no one else needs to", but it's a bit daft.)

Bradford PA / FCUM: The station named is not always the nearest. If there is a station within 0.87 miles of the ground then it's usually the one mentioned, but if not then I tend to go for a station with a frequent service from which one can get a bus. Low Moor and Moston both have hourly services and then still quite a long walk to the ground, and a non-local probably wouldn't go that way. I don't suppose I'm entirely consistent with myself, but that's editor's perks! For an extreme example, see Hemel Hempstead. HH station is right on the western edge of town and doesn't have a great bus service, so if one's destination is to the north or east side of town it's often easier to travel via St Albans.

Tranmere Rovers: Same applies, and the 1.1 miles from Rock Ferry is further than some would care to walk. Thanks for the mention of Conway Park though; I hadn't spotted that it's nearer to Birkenhead Bus Station than Birkenhead Central is, and what's more it gets more trains than Birkenhead Central. I shall put Tranmere on my "have another look at that one" list, because I've spotted another error in the entry.

Also on that list is Street. The route I've given would work, but unless you were coming from Bridgwater you wouldn't go that way. I try to avoid routes that need two buses as far as possible, but a route via Bath and Wells is probably more use to more people.

KnowYourMarket
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 5, 2018, 10:59 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #10 of 71 (8627 views)
Shortcut

Tranmere Rovers - if coming from the south getting off at Bebington and catching bus 464 is quicker

Stoke City - obviously you are sticking to service buses, however, there are regular football special buses from Stoke station and stop X outside Stoke Minster on match days with frequent returns after the game.

An alternative service buses which run more regularly (every 15 mins) are the 23 and 23A toward Newstead. (23A) Alight at Grove Avenue, walk back from the direction the bus came along Grove Road and you will see signs for the stadium for a walking route pointing to the left. This takes you across the A50 on a footbridge and you will see the ground. Approx 10 minutes from the bus stop to the stadium. (23) alight at Highfield Ave and walk back from the direction of the bus and turn left into Brownsea Place and follow the footpath to the football ground. Again approx 10 min walk

Port Vale- if travelling into the area it's much quicker to alight at Stoke station (you would need to change at Stoke to get to Longport) and catch the frequent buses to Hanley and from Hanley there are various routes to Burslem centre from where it is a short walk. A plusbus ticket for £3 will cover the journey. Travel time is approx 35 minutes from Stoke station to Port Vale including changing bus and the short yomp.

Last ground visited: Rochester United. Avg Goal 15/16: 4.43 Avg att 15/16: 392. New grounds 15/16: 37

(This post was edited by KnowYourMarket on Jun 5, 2018, 11:10 PM)

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 5, 2018, 11:02 PM

Post #11 of 71 (8617 views)
Shortcut

The 376 bus runs every 30 mins direct from Bristol Temple Meads to Street.

CleethorpesOggy
Youth Team Sub

Jun 5, 2018, 11:14 PM

Team(s): Cleethorpes Town FC; Arnold Town FC; Nottingham Forest FC

Post #12 of 71 (8589 views)
Shortcut

Pleased this is being updated - great work Andy!

Just to let you know that Cleethorpes Town has now moved. The details are below (please note that it is actually called "The Linden Club" although most people still know it as "The Linden Homes Club"):

The Linden Club
Clee Road
Grimsby
DN32 8QL

Nearest rail: Cleethorpes 1.1 miles - it is a flat 20/25 minute walk to the ground from the station via Prince's Road and Clee Road.

Bus: number 4 is best (runs every 15 minutes) from Sea Road (2 minute walk from station) - alight at first stop on Clee Crescent (4 mins from ground). Bus journey is around 9 minutes as it goes around the houses!
Alternatively, catch the Humber Flyer bus from Sea Road - this goes directly along Clee Road, stops outside the ground and takes 4 minutes BUT only runs hourly.

Plenty of pubs and eating choices in central Cleethorpes. Or get to the Linden early for some beer and chat! We are a friendly bunch in there and it won't break the bank with pints starting around £2.50...

I hope this info is helpful!

(This post was edited by CleethorpesOggy on Jun 5, 2018, 11:16 PM)

KnowYourMarket

Jun 5, 2018, 11:19 PM

Post #13 of 71 (8572 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CleethorpesOggy] Getting To Football is back ...! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Newcastle Town - rather than walking from Newcastle under Lyme bus station, service Blue 2 toward Clayton is every 30 minutes. Stop Lilleshall Avenue is at the end of the drive to the football ground. Return bus at 1711. Again a Plusbus Stoke ticket for £3 covers both journeys.

Last ground visited: Rochester United. Avg Goal 15/16: 4.43 Avg att 15/16: 392. New grounds 15/16: 37

(This post was edited by KnowYourMarket on Jun 5, 2018, 11:21 PM)

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Jun 5, 2018, 11:26 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #14 of 71 (8550 views)
Shortcut

It's good to see you back and I virtually always look at your site before embarking on an unfamiliar trip, even if I don't necessarily follow the suggested route!

A local point is that, although you refer to the Manchester Metrolink lines by their number, understandably enough, as that is how they are described on official maps now, all signage and announcements on stations and on the trams refers to them by their destination (e.g. "This is an Altrincham service") and the large majority of passengers, including me, would not know if somebody asked if they were on the Line Three service or whatever, so I suggest it's more useful to describe them by their destination.

doktorb berske
Youth Team Sub

Jun 6, 2018, 2:34 AM

Team(s): Burscough

Post #15 of 71 (8346 views)
Shortcut

Outstanding!

I count as a groundhop whatever I feel appropriate.

Reserves? Yes, why not?
Friendlies? No problem.
Bracketed ticks? Come on in, I say.

"I tried to organise freedom,
How Scandinavian of me!"

fermin
Youth Team Sub

Jun 6, 2018, 9:03 AM

Post #16 of 71 (8035 views)
Shortcut

A great piece of work!

My comments are that if you are coming from Manchester to Rochdale then it is a lot quicker to get the train. Tram takes about 50 minutes and the train 15-20. The train station is on the tram line as well. No idea about the buses as I always walk to the ground (about 25 minutes from the station on the route I go).

Oxford United - an alternative route from the station is using bus 5 to Blackbird Leys (from the city centre at St Aldates bus 1 follows the same route) which is a lot more frequent. Get off on Balfour Road and walk for about 5 minutes back along Merlin Road and Knights Road from where there is a path across to the ground. On the way back the bus stop is on the corner of Pegasus Road and Knights Road.

Oxford City - the 14a is a pretty limited service. A better alternative is to use the number 13 from the station and get off at Ewin Close. Walk from there up Marsh Lane to the ground. Buses run frequently and well into the evening all days. From the City Centre X13 on St Aldates follows the same route but this has been suspended temporarily because of road works near the hospital. I have not been there since the roadworks started but the stop appears to still be in operation based on http://www.oxontime.com/...se%20SE%20(69347834).

Ashtree RockBee
First Team Star

Jun 6, 2018, 9:07 AM

Team(s): Ashford Town (Middlesex), Bognor Regis Town, Brentford

Post #17 of 71 (8022 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Bognor Regis Town: I've been there, and I didn't recognise that Welsh name. But Google Streetview has it that the road which passes under the BRTFC sign and finishes somewhere behind the stand is the Welsh named road. Is it not so?.

Do you know what? I don't know - and I first went to The Rocks in 1974! I've never seen a road sign for the access road to the ground in all those years. I notice Elain Llwyd Avenue West is only an alleyway at its other end where it meets Hawthorn Road, so it may well be the name of the public footpath which runs parallel with the ground entrance. I'll put a message on the Rocks' forum for clarification.

Karb
First Team Sub

Jun 6, 2018, 9:14 AM

Team(s): Sunderland AFC, Keighley Cougars RL

Post #18 of 71 (8004 views)
Shortcut

Great stuff. I do most of my hopping (certainly the weekend games) by public transport and your site has been invaluable to me.

Thanks for your efforts.

"People do not have moments of truth in station waiting rooms"

kirby knitters

Jun 6, 2018, 10:28 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #19 of 71 (7872 views)
Shortcut

A user ( even more so now) of the rail network on a Saturday and still look at the outdated site so great news that you are updating it.

Fantastic work Andy.Wink

AndyE
First Team Star

Jun 6, 2018, 3:09 PM

Post #20 of 71 (7531 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Getting To Football is back ...! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Some comments on points raised since I was last on this thread.

I've now gone for the route via Bebington for Tranmere Rovers. Only if you were starting from Liverpool or Southport would you definitely prefer the route via Birkenhead.

Thanks for the comments on Stoke City and Port Vale. It is perhaps surprising that Stoke City's relatively new stadium has such poor public transport links, but the suggestion of the 23/23A is a good one. Google has the walk via Brownsea Place as 14 minutes, but it's fairly flat which is always a bonus in a rather un-flat city. There's nothing anyone can do about the yomp up the Eiger to get to Vale Park, but I take the point that travelling via Hanley is probably preferable to via Longport. The method I use comes to 47 minutes all told from Stoke station to ground.

That 376 bus has to be the best way to get to Street. It's a long bus ride, but Street is a fairly isolated town so it can't be helped.

I've amended Cleethorpes Town for the new ground. Perhaps the board should tell the club's website person that they have moved, because the club website is still asserting that the club play at Bradley Road!

That bus Blue 2 does indeed go very close to Newcastle Town's ground, but it's a figure of 8 route that only runs one way round. It's fine from Newcastle Bus Station to the ground - 6 minutes - but the return journey takes 30 minutes, and I don't think many would do it rather than a 1 mile walk.

The point about the Manchester Metrolink is taken on board.

I haven't time to look at the Rochdale and Oxford points yet; they will be next.

ceefaxbrian
Junior Team Regular

Jun 6, 2018, 3:50 PM

Post #21 of 71 (7463 views)
Shortcut

As others, a brilliant website and I always mention when posting info.
There is a quicker way to NORTHWOOD from the station (Northwood Hills).
Out of station, cross the zebra crossing, turn left and go about 30yards then turn right into public footpath,at end turn right (York Road)
follow road round (becomes Highland Road) and entrance to Northwood rec takes you to ground. (6mons)

FCUtdWill
Youth Team Star

Jun 6, 2018, 4:03 PM

Team(s): Huddersfield Town, AFC Bolnore, Gibraltar

Post #22 of 71 (7430 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
My current plan is to go down to Step 6. Step 7 would be as much work again, especially since a lot of Step 7 clubs don't have websites and just finding out where they play can be tricky. (Even some Football League clubs don't actually give their address anywhere on their website. I suppose they think "Our supporters already know, and no one else needs to", but it's a bit daft.)

For most leagues they have ground details on their websites, but then there's some that don't. Some leagues can be tricky I've found, there are some leagues I prefer to others when it comes to getting information from!

The new FA FullTime has ground information available, I'm going through them at the moment and some have different postcodes (or even grounds themselves) to what it shows on their league website so I don't know which is always right and the ones that are different don't always have websites so I can't check to see which is right.

One example is Huddersfield Town, in the Premier League handbook (still not used to saying that!) it says the postcode for The John Smith's Stadium is HD1 6PX, but then on Full-Time it says the postcode is HD1 6PG. On a site I go on to get ground details, it says the postcode is HD1 6PG.

I know these two postcodes are fairly similar and not far away from each other but sometimes I see completely different ones to what's listed originally. Even though I'm 10-15 mins away from JSS, I still don't know which is right!

http://www.englishfootballdatabase.weebly.com

paulh66

Jun 6, 2018, 4:07 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #23 of 71 (7419 views)
Shortcut

I've now gone for the route via Bebington for Tranmere Rovers. Only if you were starting from Liverpool or Southport would you definitely prefer the route via Birkenhead.

That's an obscure one! Most visitors on public transport travel via Liverpool but, even when going via Chester instead, I don't think I've ever seen football fans getting off at Bebington to then catch the bus. Mind you, this way at least they should get a seat on the bus!

scottywalds
First Team Star

Jun 6, 2018, 7:00 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #24 of 71 (7204 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Getting To Football is back ...! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I quite liked the canalside walk to Stoke City from the station!

KnowYourMarket

Jun 7, 2018, 7:18 AM

Post #25 of 71 (6837 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottywalds] Getting To Football is back ...! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I quite liked the canalside walk to Stoke City from the station!

You can indeed yomp from the station via the canal but it's 2 miles and not everyone would want to do that.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3