English teams in SPFL Irn Bru Challenge Cup Next Season

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 5, 2018, 11:11 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #1 of 36 (5538 views)
Shortcut
English teams in SPFL Irn Bru Challenge Cup Next Season Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sutton United and Boreham Wood, apparently.
Joining the 30 lower league sides, 12 Premiership Colts teams, 4 Lowland, 4 Highland, 2 Welsh, 2 Irish and Northern Irish sides.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 5, 2018, 11:41 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #2 of 36 (5470 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] English teams in SPFL Irn Bru Challenge Cup Next Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The article I saw (https://www.scotsman.com/...rn-bru-cup-1-4749563) says these teams have been invited and that they're expected to participate. Presumably they've sounded out both clubs already?

It mentions Macc and Tranmere, as the promoted clubs, wouldn't be participating but I'd imagine if Tranmere had stayed down there's no way in the world we'd want to be part of another cup competition. Perhaps inviting two clubs who, although decent, don't see promotion to the FL as the be all and end all, is a neat compromise?

007Dale
First Team Regular

Jun 5, 2018, 12:15 PM

Post #3 of 36 (5354 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] English teams in SPFL Irn Bru Challenge Cup Next Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The article I saw (https://www.scotsman.com/...rn-bru-cup-1-4749563) says these teams have been invited and that they're expected to participate. Presumably they've sounded out both clubs already?

It mentions Macc and Tranmere, as the promoted clubs, wouldn't be participating but I'd imagine if Tranmere had stayed down there's no way in the world we'd want to be part of another cup competition. Perhaps inviting two clubs who, although decent, don't see promotion to the FL as the be all and end all, is a neat compromise?

Don’t really see what the English teams get out of this. They have the FA cup as way to play against (potentially) premier league teams as Sutton did a couple of years ago. Not sure playing games against Cowdenbeath and Berwick Rangers is really going to add a lot to their season, other than fixture congestion.

kivo
First Team Sub

Jun 5, 2018, 12:32 PM

Team(s): Kiveton Park, Sheffield Wednesday

Post #4 of 36 (5286 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] English teams in SPFL Irn Bru Challenge Cup Next Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'd be up for scrapping the League Cup and replace it with a British Cup

paulh66

Jun 5, 2018, 12:49 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #5 of 36 (5232 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] English teams in SPFL Irn Bru Challenge Cup Next Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Don’t really see what the English teams get out of this. They have the FA cup as way to play against (potentially) premier league teams as Sutton did a couple of years ago. Not sure playing games against Cowdenbeath and Berwick Rangers is really going to add a lot to their season, other than fixture congestion.

Sponsorship money will come in handy but I doubt it's lucrative.
The first four rounds (up to and inc the QF) last season were scheduled to mid-November. That wouldn't really clash with Sutton and Wood's FA Cup or Trophy commitments but the National League has a notoriously cramped fixture list in the early part of the season which would make things challenging for the two clubs.

ARL
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 5, 2018, 1:18 PM

Team(s): Tring Town 1987-2003, Leverstock Green 2003-

Post #6 of 36 (5090 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] English teams in SPFL Irn Bru Challenge Cup Next Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If Sutton were to draw, say, Brora Rangers, that would surely be the longest ever trip for a UK domestic game? 637 miles according to Google Maps.

prorege

Jun 5, 2018, 1:55 PM

Post #7 of 36 (4952 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ARL] English teams in SPFL Irn Bru Challenge Cup Next Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Brora finished 6th in the Highland League so will not be in the competition.
Cove, Formartine, Inverurie and Fraserburgh will be the Highland League entrants.
Of course the seeding means they have little chance of getting to the stage where the English clubs would be parachuted in.

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Jun 5, 2018, 1:57 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #8 of 36 (4942 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ARL] English teams in SPFL Irn Bru Challenge Cup Next Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A dumb idea and I can't see what Sutton or Boreham Wood will get out of it. Will Scandinavian clubs be invited next?

007Dale
First Team Regular

Jun 5, 2018, 3:28 PM

Post #9 of 36 (4713 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kivo] English teams in SPFL Irn Bru Challenge Cup Next Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

I think some sort of Anglo-Scottish premier league cup could be interesting, group games played in European weeks (for clubs not in European League stage) so for example, assuming only Celtic make the league stage and perhaps Burnley get knocked out before the league stage;

14 English and 11 Scottish teams, split over 5 groups - 4 games per group. Best 9 teams join the European playing teams for the second round of 16.

So a group might look like:
1. Everton
2. Leicester City
3. Wolves
4. Aberdeen
5. Motherwell

And the last 16 could look something like:
Everton v Man City
West Ham v Hibernian
Celtic v Leicester City
Man Utd v Rangers
Arsenal v Southampton
Liverpool v Chelsea
Tottenham v Hearts
Fulham v Crystal Palace

Obviously, in place of the league cup.

Ashtree RockBee
First Team Star

Jun 5, 2018, 4:21 PM

Team(s): Ashford Town (Middlesex), Bognor Regis Town, Brentford

Post #10 of 36 (4606 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

I think some sort of Anglo-Scottish premier league cup could be interesting, group games played in European weeks (for clubs not in European League stage) so for example, assuming only Celtic make the league stage and perhaps Burnley get knocked out before the league stage;

14 English and 11 Scottish teams, split over 5 groups - 4 games per group. Best 9 teams join the European playing teams for the second round of 16.

1. Everton
2. Leicester City
3. Wolves
4. Aberdeen
5. Motherwell

Everton v Man City
West Ham v Hibernian
Celtic v Leicester City
Man Utd v Rangers
Arsenal v Southampton
Liverpool v Chelsea
Tottenham v Hearts
Fulham v Crystal Palace

Bring back the Texaco Cup! Wink

Karen Browne
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 5, 2018, 5:48 PM

Team(s): Welwyn Garden City

Post #11 of 36 (4439 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ashtree RockBee] English teams in SPFL Irn Bru Challenge Cup Next Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And The Watney Cup

Karen Browne
Spartan South Midlands League
Fixtures Officer

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Jun 5, 2018, 6:09 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #12 of 36 (4375 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Karen Browne] English teams in SPFL Irn Bru Challenge Cup Next Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
And The Watney Cup

Now that was a great pre season tournament. It was just enough to get you excited for the up coming season. Merge it with the Drybrough Cup and you have a British Cup.

derekn
First Team Star

Jun 5, 2018, 6:19 PM

Team(s): Taunton Town

Post #13 of 36 (4338 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] English teams in SPFL Irn Bru Challenge Cup Next Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You need to invite National League sides so that the Scottish teams are in any way competitive.

marinersteve
Youth Team Regular

Jun 5, 2018, 6:46 PM

Team(s): South Shields

Post #14 of 36 (4268 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kivo] English teams in SPFL Irn Bru Challenge Cup Next Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

THIS - and a real one for all four nations and NOT premier level - who wants more of the ';big boys' mopping up all the cash and glory

SandDancer in Exile

(This post was edited by marinersteve on Jun 5, 2018, 6:49 PM)

paulh66

Jun 5, 2018, 7:20 PM

Post #15 of 36 (4169 views)
Shortcut
English teams in SPFL Irn Bru Challenge Cup Next Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Back in the real world, no official comment yet from Sutton United but their fans seem favourably inclined: http://suttonunited.proboards.com/...ad/9411/iron-bru-cup

UKPunk

Jun 5, 2018, 8:00 PM

Post #16 of 36 (4065 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Karen Browne] English teams in SPFL Irn Bru Challenge Cup Next Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
And The Watney Cup

And I wonder if they'll bring back National Service and the birch
And I wonder but I doubt if they will ever bring back the Watney Cup

Half Man Half Biscuit/Rod Hull is Alive - Why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApkcwZeD5l4

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-67-182-291=611

Last game: Sat/5/5/18
Rotherham United 1 Blackpool 0

pitch 63
First Team Star

Jun 5, 2018, 8:20 PM

Post #17 of 36 (3988 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] English teams in SPFL Irn Bru Challenge Cup Next Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
And The Watney Cup

And I wonder if they'll bring back National Service and the birch
And I wonder but I doubt if they will ever bring back the Watney Cup

Half Man Half Biscuit/Rod Hull is Alive - Why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApkcwZeD5l4

There is a strange connection in the above. Rod Hull was a Bristol Rovers season ticket holder and produced a song called "We'll be singing Bristol Rovers all the way...." Bristol Rovers beat Sheffield United on penalties to win the Watney Cup.

Dazzla84
Youth Team Star

Jun 5, 2018, 9:08 PM

Team(s): Newcastle United, South Shields, Werder Bremen, Toulouse

Post #18 of 36 (3862 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

1. Everton
2. Leicester City
3. Wolves
4. Aberdeen
5. Motherwell

Everton v Man City
West Ham v Hibernian
Celtic v Leicester City
Man Utd v Rangers
Arsenal v Southampton
Liverpool v Chelsea
Tottenham v Hearts
Fulham v Crystal Palace

Well theres 20 Premier League sides and 12 scottish premiership sides

That makes 32, so why not have a straight knockout

Ashtree RockBee
First Team Star

Jun 5, 2018, 9:10 PM

Team(s): Ashford Town (Middlesex), Bognor Regis Town, Brentford

Post #19 of 36 (3852 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] English teams in SPFL Irn Bru Challenge Cup Next Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
There is a strange connection in the above. Rod Hull was a Bristol Rovers season ticket holder and produced a song called "We'll be singing Bristol Rovers all the way...." Bristol Rovers beat Sheffield United on penalties to win the Watney Cup.

Courtesy of the wonderful 45cat website, here's that single...

http://www.45cat.com/record/db9029#comments

Sadly, Emu did get to sing on a single called "Emu", but his voice was a sped-up vocal from Rolf Harris!

(This post was edited by Ashtree RockBee on Jun 5, 2018, 9:11 PM)

buncranaboy

Jun 5, 2018, 11:09 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #20 of 36 (3527 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

1. Everton
2. Leicester City
3. Wolves
4. Aberdeen
5. Motherwell

Everton v Man City
West Ham v Hibernian
Celtic v Leicester City
Man Utd v Rangers
Arsenal v Southampton
Liverpool v Chelsea
Tottenham v Hearts
Fulham v Crystal Palace

You forgot the word "reserves" after the club names

doktorb berske
Youth Team Sub

Jun 6, 2018, 2:26 AM

Team(s): Burscough

Post #21 of 36 (3325 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] English teams in SPFL Irn Bru Challenge Cup Next Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
A dumb idea and I can't see what Sutton or Boreham Wood will get out of it. Will Scandinavian clubs be invited next?

No because they're outside the United. Kingdom

I count as a groundhop whatever I feel appropriate.

Reserves? Yes, why not?
Friendlies? No problem.
Bracketed ticks? Come on in, I say.

"I tried to organise freedom,
How Scandinavian of me!"

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 6, 2018, 9:14 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #22 of 36 (3010 views)
Shortcut
Re: [doktorb berske] English teams in SPFL Irn Bru Challenge Cup Next Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

No because they're outside the United. Kingdom

That didn't stop Sligo Rovers and Bray Wanderers taking part last season.

kirby knitters

Jun 6, 2018, 9:43 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #23 of 36 (2953 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] English teams in SPFL Irn Bru Challenge Cup Next Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was going to post the reserves bit but you beat me to it. The clubs mentioned don't even take the League Cup seriously no matter how far they go in it with a Europa Cup spot at the end of it for the winners ( LCFC talked about this from a league placing but it would have been achieved easier from the LC) so what sort of sides do people expect these teams to put out for a joke of a competition.

shimtoan
First Team Sub

Jun 6, 2018, 12:28 PM

Team(s): Dunkirk

Post #24 of 36 (2754 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] English teams in SPFL Irn Bru Challenge Cup Next Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

1. Everton
2. Leicester City
3. Wolves
4. Aberdeen
5. Motherwell

Everton v Man City
West Ham v Hibernian
Celtic v Leicester City
Man Utd v Rangers
Arsenal v Southampton
Liverpool v Chelsea
Tottenham v Hearts
Fulham v Crystal Palace

You forgot the word "reserves" after the club names

"Reserves" would devalue it. I'd plump for [club] XI

unless stated, all views are my own and are not the views of any other person, club, or organisation

prorege

Jun 8, 2018, 7:47 PM

Post #25 of 36 (1748 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] English teams in SPFL Irn Bru Challenge Cup Next Season [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The SPFL is pleased to announce a further expansion of the IRN-BRU Cup with the introduction of two English National League representatives to the competition next season.
The announcement comes after the successful change of format introduced in 2016/17, which saw two teams each from Northern Ireland and Wales, additional clubs from the Highland and Lowland Leagues and all Ladbrokes Premiership under-20 Colt teams taking part, followed by the addition of two teams from the League of Ireland in season 2017/18.
Now, following UEFA approval, Sutton United and Boreham Wood – the highest-ranked Vanarama National League sides in 2017/18 still competing in the division – will join the Irish (Bohemians and Bray Wanderers), Northern Irish (Crusaders and Coleraine) and Welsh (The New Saints and Connah’s Quay Nomads) representatives at the second-round stage of the competition.
The first-round draw for the 2018/19 IRN-BRU Cup will take place on Tuesday 26 June. Full competition format details will be announced in due course.
The tournament continues to enjoy the support of sponsors IRN-BRU. The third season of their backing will see holders Inverness Caledonian Thistle, who beat Dumbarton 1-0 in this year’s final at McDiarmid Park, defend the trophy with two new English rivals added to the mix.
SPFL Chief Executive Neil Doncaster said: “The IRN-BRU Cup remains an innovative and evolving competition, and we are pleased to now extend a warm welcome to the National League and their representatives, Sutton United and Boreham Wood.
“We look forward to developing a positive relationship with our counterparts in England, just as we have with representatives from the leagues of Northern Ireland, Wales and the Republic of Ireland over the last two years.”
Welcoming National League clubs into the competition, Adrian Troy, Marketing Director at IRN-BRU, said: “We’re really excited that the IRN-BRU Cup has now become a unique club competition featuring teams from all around Britain and Ireland. The competition has proven popular with players, coaches and supporters, who’ve enjoyed the challenge of facing different opposition and travelling to new corners of the UK.
“We’re pleased to welcome Sutton United and Boreham Wood to the IRN-BRU Cup and wish them the best of luck for this season’s competition.”
Michael Tattersall, Vanarama National League Chief Executive, added: “We were pleased to accept the SPFL’s invitation to participate in next year’s competition. We believe our two clubs will benefit from playing in an international competition and we look forward to establishing new relationships with the other leagues involved.”
Bruce Elliott, Chairman of Sutton United, said: “We're delighted to have been asked to compete in the IRN-BRU Cup. Both manager Paul Doswell and I are excited at taking part in a competition that is new for us, and gives us the chance to encounter new opposition and play against sides that we would not meet in our normal schedule. We are thoroughly looking forward to it.”
Manager of Boreham Wood, Luke Garrard, said: “I think that it will give the players an added incentive and I am extremely excited that we have the luxury of possibly travelling around the British Isles for a fixture, I think that it is a huge achievement.”
The Scottish Challenge Cup was established for season 1990/91 to mark the Scottish Football League’s centenary and has been run every year since (with the exception of 1998/99).
Read more at https://spfl.co.uk/news/article/national-league-sides-join-irn-bru-cup/#dx8F4eRXQdtii6tr.99

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3