Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Mental Health

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

May 29, 2018, 12:34 AM

Post #1 of 12 (3819 views)
Shortcut
Mental Health Can't Post or Reply Privately

This is an issue which affects men particularly, and in recent years the figures are dreadful with regard to male suicide.

A couple of years ago I wrote a lengthy post on my own experience of depression which I personally found very cathartic and I believe some others found useful.

You may not have any issues with mental health yourself but someone close to you will. If you think not it means they don't know how to talk about it.

I'd love to see a section on this forum dedicated to Mental Health, as I think a lot of people would benefit. I am going through psychotherapy at the moment, which is proving very helpful, and provoking a lot of questions for me. I can put these to my wife and she will do her best to answer, but I would love to have somewhere I could 'spread the burden', by asking if anyone else has the same issues/questions.

Is there anyway such a section could be added (probably under the "Non Football Related" heading)? I have 17 years of dealing with doctors and drugs and all the rest. While I would never be any kind of doctor myself, I'd be happy to lead on the setting up of such a section.

matt1867
Youth Team Sub

Jun 2, 2018, 10:55 AM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 12 (3024 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Mental Health [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This seems like a good idea for alternative form of support. Sometimes people can't always turn to friends and family or need another perspective. My only reservation, as an occasional poster, is that some people seem to use their posts to attack others at times. That could be quite harmful in the wrong context.

Steve_HFC
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 2, 2018, 8:31 PM

Team(s): Hendon, Portsmouth

Post #3 of 12 (2790 views)
Shortcut
Re: [matt1867] Mental Health [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I too think this would be a good idea - but it would need to be moderated well.
As some may have seen, we have a Mental Health initiative at Hendon which has been featured in today's edition of the Guardian and has gained quite a lot of attention on twitter over the past 48 hours.
I truly believe that this really is an important issue as highlighted by cope1 in the original posting in this thread.

https://www.theguardian.com/...chest-hendon-fc-fans
http://www.hendonfc.net/News#6782

Greensnet - The Official Hendon FC Website
Hendon FC Supporters Trust

Herb Alpert
First Team Sub

Jun 2, 2018, 9:13 PM

Team(s): Leyton Orient, whoever is playing w*** h**

Post #4 of 12 (2742 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steve_HFC] Mental Health [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As someone who suffers with Myalgic Encephalopathy (ME) which has stress and depression amongst its symptoms, I wholeheartedly agree with this suggestion.

steve walker
Administrator

Jun 2, 2018, 10:20 PM

Team(s):

Post #5 of 12 (2640 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Herb Alpert] Mental Health [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This isn't really a football discussion topic so I'm going to move it to the non football related section.

I would be happy to open a mental health section on the forum if there is a demand for it. I'm just wondering if it was an open forum that we would get the "oh just pull yourself together" posters. If anyone wants to PM me me on how we can take this forward and make a difference to even one person then please do so

cope1

Jun 6, 2018, 11:41 PM

Post #6 of 12 (2023 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Mental Health [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for all your responses.

I am happy to lead on this and propose the following:

A category under which people can ask questions, or share information, articles, etc, as they see fit. The poster would need to decide whether they felt comfortable posting something but one side effect might be that people can PM each other.

It's important to bear in mind that a post in this proposed category doesn't have to be along the lines of "I want to kill myself" as that is an extreme situation. Rather, the posts could just be asking if anyone else gets frustrated by situations which don't seem to bother anyone else. This is a large part of mental health - struggling with situations that other people seem to find easy.

I am happy to lead and be a moderator, but what do people think about the above proposal?

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 7, 2018, 7:39 PM

Post #7 of 12 (1875 views)
Shortcut

I think you would make a great moderator, not just on this subject, but of the whole forum.

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Jun 12, 2018, 10:23 PM

Team(s): Darlington and Sunderland

Post #8 of 12 (1654 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
This is an issue which affects men particularly, and in recent years the figures are dreadful with regard to male suicide.

A couple of years ago I wrote a lengthy post on my own experience of depression which I personally found very cathartic and I believe some others found useful.

You may not have any issues with mental health yourself but someone close to you will. If you think not it means they don't know how to talk about it.

I'd love to see a section on this forum dedicated to Mental Health, as I think a lot of people would benefit. I am going through psychotherapy at the moment, which is proving very helpful, and provoking a lot of questions for me. I can put these to my wife and she will do her best to answer, but I would love to have somewhere I could 'spread the burden', by asking if anyone else has the same issues/questions.

Is there anyway such a section could be added (probably under the "Non Football Related" heading)? I have 17 years of dealing with doctors and drugs and all the rest. While I would never be any kind of doctor myself, I'd be happy to lead on the setting up of such a section.

I would love to see something like this introduced, I have lived with Mental Health problems for 27 of my 36 years I have been around and willing to share some of my experiences if people are interested

Mista Fozz

Husband, Dad, Mascot Extraordinaire and all round IdiotMy Twitter Feed[/url]

cope1

Jun 17, 2018, 2:46 PM

Post #9 of 12 (1427 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MistaFozzII] Mental Health [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for your support, guys. For the time being the mods don't feel there is enough interest to create a new section although they are supportive of the issue in general.

Let's continue on this thread for now. We might be able to get it made a sticky so it remains at the top of the list.

My idea is not so much that people will be pouring their hearts out or announcing suicide, but that when something gets to them and they don't feel they will be understood elsewhere, they come here. It doesn't have to be a big issue. Some of the things that cause us the most distress are irrelevant to most, but they are insurmountable to us, personally.

I am currently seeing a psychotherapist who I really get on with and I feel increasingly confident of telling him the silliest things that bug me and after we talk it out I realise why it bugs me. It's usually because it links to something much bigger, but it's hard to see that sometimes.

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Jul 14, 2018, 12:11 AM

Post #10 of 12 (1076 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Mental Health [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
This isn't really a football discussion topic so I'm going to move it to the non football related section.

I would be happy to open a mental health section on the forum if there is a demand for it. I'm just wondering if it was an open forum that we would get the "oh just pull yourself together" posters. If anyone wants to PM me me on how we can take this forward and make a difference to even one person then please do so

If the demand is there and there are people willing to give some input, Cope has pointed out he would moderate such a board and I would be happy to support him and help moderate it...The fact it has been mentioned here has made a difference, because it has come at a point where I am becoming more open about my battle with Mental Health...

I have finally started to get some answers regarding my mental health, had 3 different Diagnosis since I was 14, originally it was ADHD, I went on Ritalin, but stopped as quick as I was put on them, then waited till I was 21 for a Bi-Polar Diagnosis, as the Psychiatrist I was seeing was doing a study in Bi-Polar and he gave out that diagnosis to anyone who walked through his door...

At 26 I was diagnosed with Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder, which is another name for Borderline Personality Disorder, and about 3 weeks ago, I was diagnosed with Adult ADHD. I also once noticed on my medical notes, a diagnosis of Anti-Social Personality Disorder was considered when I was about 15.

It is hard enough dealing with my mental health, but it is much harder when I dont exactly know what I am dealing with, I also think I show symptoms of Substance Abuse Disorder as I have had an opiate addiction for about 15 years now.

For years I put a barrier up, which I called an 'Emotional Berlin Wall', it was not necessarily there to stop people getting in, but to stop things getting out.

As for my diagnosis, I never knew ADHD could be diagnosed as an Adult, I thought it was a diganosis in Kids and Teens, but when I read through the symptoms, it describes me to a T. When I was at tbe Shrinks the other week, he got me to fill in a questionnaire type thing and when I gave it back to a CPN it, she looked at it and said to the shrink 'Full House'.

I have now been allocated a Social Worker as my Care Co-Ordinator who seems canny and am awaiting word from the ADHD Team within my local CMHT.

I think it is a brave subject to bring up on here, it is not something people will openly talk about, especially blokes.

The statistics for suicide is shocking and about 75% of suicides are Men under 45 years old, the last figures I saw re: Sucide was something like 2 men under 45 an hour kill themselves with the yearly rate being around 17,000.

For me, football is an escape, I can leave my troubles behind at the turnstile and at the back end of last season, I was given the opportunity to be Darlington Mascot on a voluntary basis, which I love and it goes beyond matchdays as I work with the Clubs Community Team visiting Primary Schools in Darlington and the Sorrounding Area

I also managed to find a local Group where I live called Man Health, a peer support group for Men with depression, there is currently 1 local group running in the County, based in Shildon with a new group starting up in Spennymoor next month and I am going to start volunteering for them, with the Main Guy teaching me fundraising, which gives me something to look forward to as I will be able to learn about organising and running fundraisers and events.

I think Man Healths 2 main organisers would love to spread the word about our aims and try and turn it into a national service rather than just in our area

Mista Fozz

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Jul 16, 2018, 5:02 PM

Post #11 of 12 (920 views)
Shortcut

Would people be interested in a new message board centred round Mental Health that is endorsed and supported by Steve Walker and NLM.

I would consider hosting such a board as I have my own webspace and own domain.

Mista Fozz

windydcfc

Jul 16, 2018, 7:34 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #12 of 12 (865 views)
Shortcut

Sounds a great idea

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3