General Data Protection Regulations

steve walker
Administrator

May 1, 2018, 10:29 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 19 (5761 views)
Shortcut
General Data Protection Regulations Can't Post or Reply Privately

For those of you that are unaware.. on 25 May this year there is a big change to data privacy laws as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) begins. It's a huge change that affects everyone and you have probably already received notifications from Banks, Utility providers etc etc. It also affects even the smallest of online entities although to be fair it isn't really aimed at them and most won't take any notice.

All websites and organisations have to make it clear how they use and protect any information collected about you to give you more control over how that information is used and how you are contacted. You should be aware that the only information collected from you by this site are your real email address when you create an account and your IP address whenever you are active in the forums. These have never been nor will at any time be passed onto any third party nor does the site have an email marketing list.

There is additional data collected about your browsing history by the sites advertising providers. To that end you will at some time be seeing before 25 May something like the 'Cookie Notice' that gives the advertisers permission to collect that information along with no doubt various options if you object. You will only see it once and it involves me adding a small piece of code to the site that I will be provided with shortly.

Thanks.... Steve

Ostrich
First Team Sub

May 25, 2018, 7:49 PM

Post #2 of 19 (5453 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] General Data Protection Regulations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
You will only see it once ..

Steve, getting the pop-up every visit (and twice if I then log in following browsing as a guest) - and it is not saving the preferences I've chosen .. any thoughts?

steve walker
Administrator

May 25, 2018, 7:53 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 19 (5448 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ostrich] General Data Protection Regulations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Are you using 'in private' or whatever the equivalent is for your browser?

Ostrich
First Team Sub

May 25, 2018, 7:59 PM

Post #4 of 19 (5443 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] General Data Protection Regulations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

No, Steve, just normal access using MS Edge.

steve walker
Administrator

May 25, 2018, 8:09 PM

Team(s):

Post #5 of 19 (5436 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ostrich] General Data Protection Regulations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sorry, I can't replicate this and haven't had any other similar reports . Do you have java disabled? That's a guess but I will have to pass it on to the tech guys

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 25, 2018, 8:18 PM

Post #6 of 19 (5434 views)
Shortcut

I had the same as Ostrich yesterday, but today that doesn't appear....

... but now there is an irritating scrolling advert for 5p0rtz.com which I cant get rid of.

steve walker
Administrator

May 25, 2018, 10:02 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 19 (5390 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] General Data Protection Regulations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Okay this is dealt with on another thread but let me just say.... I am working very hard to make the site self financing so that nobody has to worry about it disappearing. I mean that it doesn't rely on donations or as has been the case for many years me dipping into my own pocket to keep it online.
I don't want this site to go the way of many others that have disappeared due to lack of funding when the owners have other priorities or pressures be it financial or otherwise and that is why I am trying to ensure the long term future of NLM
The ticker at the bottom is a paid for promotion that is there until after the Champions League Final. It pays for 3 weeks of site costs on it's own. There may be other short term promotions like this on the site if it helps ensure that the bills are paid and nobody has to worry about the site staying online so I make no apologies for that.
Just to add... no I will not add any video ads or pop under/overs etc or anything I consider intrusive
Steve

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 25, 2018, 10:27 PM

Post #8 of 19 (5379 views)
Shortcut

So just a coincidence that it only appeared after the GDPR pop up came up on every visit yesterday ? As I said, the GDPR issue is not there today.

steve walker
Administrator

May 25, 2018, 10:32 PM

Team(s):

Post #9 of 19 (5373 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] General Data Protection Regulations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes it's pure coincidence. They wanted a promotion ahead of the Liverpool game across as many sites as possible.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 26, 2018, 9:58 PM

Post #10 of 19 (5286 views)
Shortcut

And now the GDPR pop up has reappeared. Probably the 5th/6th time I have had to acknowledge and accept it.

On none of the other sites, of various types, on which I am registered have I had to acknowledge/accept a GDPR message more than once.

scottywalds
First Team Star

May 26, 2018, 10:10 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #11 of 19 (5281 views)
Shortcut

Has to be your machine/browser/settings... only appeared once for me.

hawkwind
First Team Star

May 27, 2018, 4:30 PM

Post #12 of 19 (5221 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
You will only see it once ..

Steve, getting the pop-up every visit (and twice if I then log in following browsing as a guest) - and it is not saving the preferences I've chosen .. any thoughts?

Can replicate the below consistently.

Open browser.
"Open" forum
See GDPR PopUp
Set Preferences and Save
See 2nd GDPR PopUp
Set Preferences and Save
Log Out
Go elsewhere on web
Return to forum
No GDPR PopUp
No GDPR PopUp
Log Out
Close Browser - which in my case deletes all history, cookies, etc.

Strongly suggests that preferences are only being saved for the current session.

Steve, hope that helps.

buckielugger
Youth Team Regular

Jun 26, 2018, 4:43 PM

Team(s):

Post #13 of 19 (4210 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hawkwind] General Data Protection Regulations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I am getting a "We value your privacy" pop-up after EVERY single click I do on the site. I keep having to say "I accept" over and over again.
And cannot access the site when opening it up without logging in with my username and password.
And even in this session I have had to enter my username and password 4 times already.
I am on a PC.

steve walker
Administrator

Jun 26, 2018, 5:09 PM

Team(s):

Post #14 of 19 (4203 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buckielugger] General Data Protection Regulations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Is that just this afternoon? I'm looking at it but I can't replicate it, I'll keep looking

steve walker
Administrator

Jun 26, 2018, 7:12 PM

Team(s):

Post #15 of 19 (4181 views)
Shortcut

I've spent a long time trying to replicate this in different browsers and re-checking the code and I just cannot replicate the same errors.There are more than 50 registered users online and I haven't had any similar reports.
I can only conclude it is something at your end, an outdated browser or a very slow internet connection which means you are loading a new page before the last has finished or over excessive privacy settings. I don't really have any other suggestions at the moment.

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 26, 2018, 8:28 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #16 of 19 (4170 views)
Shortcut

Just got back online, privacy sign in , clicked on your post to reply , privacy check again.
I will send this now and there will be be another privacy click to make.
Cant get rid, very annoying.
Only on mobile, PC is OK.

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 90 / 76 / 14. (You know my rules) @ 15 /10 /2018.(Only 6 x 0-0's).
Benelux. Bel = 0-0-0- ( 0-0-0 ) - ( 5-0-2-1 ) Lux = 0-0. Neth = 0-0-0 - ( 2 - 1 ).
Scotland Senior 0-0-0-0-(0-0)-(EastofS -1 NofS 0 - SouthofS -2 -( Junior. (0-0-0)-(0-0-1-0)-(0-0)-(0).
N I = 0-0-5. ROI =0-0-( Leinster-2 , Munster-2, Ulster -0.) Wales =0- (0-0).
Scan Den=1-1, Faroes=8, Fin=0-2, Ice=0-3, Nor=0-9, Swe=0-1. Baltics Est= 0, Lat= 2, Lith=1.

steve walker
Administrator

Jun 26, 2018, 9:23 PM

Team(s):

Post #17 of 19 (4150 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] General Data Protection Regulations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've passed this on to the ad people and asked for suggestions as to why this might be happening. Clearly it isn't happening to everyone or anywhere near or I would be inundated with complaints. Should hear back tomorrow.
Cheers.... Steve

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 26, 2018, 9:27 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #18 of 19 (4147 views)
Shortcut

Ta.

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 90 / 76 / 14. (You know my rules) @ 15 /10 /2018.(Only 6 x 0-0's).
Benelux. Bel = 0-0-0- ( 0-0-0 ) - ( 5-0-2-1 ) Lux = 0-0. Neth = 0-0-0 - ( 2 - 1 ).
Scotland Senior 0-0-0-0-(0-0)-(EastofS -1 NofS 0 - SouthofS -2 -( Junior. (0-0-0)-(0-0-1-0)-(0-0)-(0).
N I = 0-0-5. ROI =0-0-( Leinster-2 , Munster-2, Ulster -0.) Wales =0- (0-0).
Scan Den=1-1, Faroes=8, Fin=0-2, Ice=0-3, Nor=0-9, Swe=0-1. Baltics Est= 0, Lat= 2, Lith=1.

Loiner
First Team Star

Jun 26, 2018, 10:09 PM

Team(s): None. A supporter of grassroots football

Post #19 of 19 (4132 views)
Shortcut

It's come up on my PC on both Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer.
Took about four attempts to log in!

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3