Home: All Other Football Interests: Premier League & Football League:
EFL: printed programmes under threat?

TroubleAtMill
Reserve Team Sub

May 1, 2018, 8:25 AM

Post #1 of 20 (11377 views)
Shortcut
EFL: printed programmes under threat? Can't Post or Reply Privately

EFL to do away with mandatory need for a printed programme?

https://www.theguardian.com/...edia-football-league

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

May 1, 2018, 9:43 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #2 of 20 (11318 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TroubleAtMill] EFL: printed programmes under threat? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Best news I've heard in a long time.

Steelback
First Team Star

May 1, 2018, 12:13 PM

Team(s): Northamptonshire Steelbacks : Peterborough United : San Francisco 49ers

Post #3 of 20 (11272 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] EFL: printed programmes under threat? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yep all of football’s ills are down solely to the printed match day programme. Every single EFL club would be making millions and be commercially viable were it not for this draconian drain on their resources.

Now what can they spend the extra saved millions on, mercenary players wages, agents fees, sacked managers contracts..........

Staging a game must cost money so let’s do away with them and play all the games virtually online instead.

The problem is clearly shown in the guardian articles picture in that Wigan Athletic decided to charge £4 for spinal bound 80 plus page programme!! Completely unnecessary, what’s wrong with 24 pages for say £1.50?

Make it something people want to read, in League One this season the issues at Bristol Rovers, Oxford, Gillingham were superb and full of reading material unlike the overpriced crap issued at Posh, Charlton, Doncaster & Plymouth to name a few.

‘Informative’ Posts Only, by order of the Forum KGB

bmavfc
Reserve Team Sub

May 1, 2018, 2:18 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa Peterborough Sports

Post #4 of 20 (11198 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steelback] EFL: printed programmes under threat? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The League should say all online programmes should be free then league clubs would soon drop the idea,never bought one for years but those who do should not be using there own ink and paper.

paulh66

May 1, 2018, 2:27 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #5 of 20 (11196 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bmavfc] EFL: printed programmes under threat? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The League should say all online programmes should be free then league clubs would soon drop the idea,never bought one for years but those who do should not be using there own ink and paper.

I'm not aware of any non-league clubs who do paperless programmes charging for them so I doubt league clubs would be too bothered about it.

jrev61
Man City Transfer Target!

May 1, 2018, 2:46 PM

Team(s): None

Post #6 of 20 (11177 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] EFL: printed programmes under threat? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

I'm not aware of any non-league clubs who do paperless programmes charging for them so I doubt league clubs would be too bothered about it.

AFC Rushden and Diamonds were charging £1.61 for their online programme, although still issuing a proper paper programme.

jrev61

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 1, 2018, 2:55 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #7 of 20 (11173 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] EFL: printed programmes under threat? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm all for free online programmes. They are cost effective, no printing costs and can be more up to date with news than a printed copy could ever be. Online programmes can also generate income by extra online advertising, which can generate income as long as the programme is left online and as with anything online, advertisements can be targeted to the user using cookies.

Clubs could put in a paywall to allow a user to print a copy for a small fee or annual subscription.

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

May 1, 2018, 3:38 PM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 20 (11146 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] EFL: printed programmes under threat? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I wasn't even aware that programme issuing was compulsory in the FL - I thought it was just the Isthmian and some other leagues that made it mandatory to do so.
As an older member of this forum, I hope for the sake of tradition that programme issuing will continue across the board.

Dr Love
First Team Star

May 1, 2018, 5:23 PM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #9 of 20 (11081 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bmavfc] EFL: printed programmes under threat? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
but those who do should not be using there own ink and paper.

Most of the people who would get an online programme wouldn't print it out anyway. They could just view it on their phone.

cope1

May 1, 2018, 7:13 PM

Post #10 of 20 (11029 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steelback] EFL: printed programmes under threat? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The problem is clearly shown in the guardian articles picture in that Wigan Athletic decided to charge £4 for spinal bound 80 plus page programme!! Completely unnecessary, what’s wrong with 24 pages for say £1.50?

Make it something people want to read, in League One this season the issues at Bristol Rovers, Oxford, Gillingham were superb and full of reading material unlike the overpriced crap issued at Posh, Charlton, Doncaster & Plymouth to name a few.

Hear, hear! I rarely buy programmes at FL clubs as they cost so much and contain so much in which I have absolutely no interest. I much prefer non-League programmes which are cheaper and more interesting. I think a lot of people would be willing to buy programmes if they were much smaller and cheaper, just because a lot of them enjoy the idea of 'collecting' matches, but they don't want to be spending £4 a pop to do so, especially when they have so many pages of rubbish, and the pages themselves are so thick!

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

May 2, 2018, 6:27 PM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #11 of 20 (10799 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] EFL: printed programmes under threat? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I fit into the old skool type who tradition says likes some paper. However, some nowadays, league or non league are crammed with irrelevance. The internet has clearly not helped, as anything of note is published on line. I would just be happy to be honest with a team sheet, with correct teams thereon punted our for around 20 or 30p.

Would not please everyone, but I really think in say 5 years the traditional programme will be close to history.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 2, 2018, 10:15 PM

Post #12 of 20 (10727 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] EFL: printed programmes under threat? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Programmes at League games used to be just that - player details; season results and fixtures; league tables and maybe a couple of relevant articles. Over the years they seemed to evolve into mini-books - difficult to carry without damage and full of waffle few would be interested in. No wonder many people don't want to pay £3/£4 for that, I am only surprised so many still do.

Personally I see nothing wrong with the single sheet issues you get in countries like Belgium - squad lists, league table, maybe forthcoming fixtures/recent results and little else.

cope1

May 3, 2018, 12:44 PM

Post #13 of 20 (10630 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] EFL: printed programmes under threat? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It does frustrate me that despite (or probably because of) the amount of paper issued and the gloss on it, there is no way to know who is actually playing in the game - you just get a squad list.

I've created programmes for lots of AFA clubs, many of which are nothing more than one piece of A4, folded to make an A5 booklet. It has the teams on the back, league table, fixtures for the day, etc - anything you might want to glance at - and it can be shoved in your back pocket when you're eating your hands are full of tea and burger. Most importantly, if you're not a collector, the whole thing is nothing much in the first place so you don't mind throwing it away, especially if it only cost 50p in the first place.

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

May 4, 2018, 9:36 AM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #14 of 20 (10486 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] EFL: printed programmes under threat? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think a large, expensive programme is because the club is pushing its corporate identity, and the publication is often as much of a marketing tool as anything else. That kind of publication I'm happy to be able to download (for free) online rather then buy.

Personally I'm happy with a team sheet, league table, info about the competing teams/players if possible, and some sort of intro setting the context for the game (e.g. proper manager's notes). And something that costs £1-00, maybe £1-50 max.

Do posters who are keen on programmes (even to the extent of avoiding a game if there is none available) as a souvenir/proof of their visit have acceptable alternatives?
One poster used to mention match tickets. Does a team sheet but not a programme count? What else would be acceptable?

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

May 4, 2018, 4:07 PM

Team(s):

Post #15 of 20 (10419 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] EFL: printed programmes under threat? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Do posters who are keen on programmes (even to the extent of avoiding a game if there is none available) as a souvenir/proof of their visit have acceptable alternatives?
One poster used to mention match tickets. Does a team sheet but not a programme count? What else would be acceptable?

Since the arrival of camera phones, there's nothing to stop anyone from taking photos of the ground or the match in progress, and saving or printing these as a souvenir. However, few people do this, perhaps as a result of the general perception that a souvenir is only valid if it has been produced by someone other than yourself, and purchased at the event.

Ostrich
First Team Sub

May 4, 2018, 11:16 PM

Post #16 of 20 (10314 views)
Shortcut
Re: [greenwood] EFL: printed programmes under threat? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

For Step 7 and below, I've started to wait for a few days after seeing a game, and once (or rather if) the home and away team details are entered up on the relevant results page of the league on FA FullTime, print that out for my records ......

paulh66

Jun 8, 2018, 3:31 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #17 of 20 (9770 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ostrich] EFL: printed programmes under threat? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

EFL AGM today approves that programmes are no longer compulsory https://www.efl.com/...e-2018--agm-round-up

"A number of Clubs had previously asked the EFL if the mandatory publication of a match programme could be addressed as a result of an overall decline in sales and the proliferation of digital and social media, which has the ability to deliver the same content in a more cost effective manner. Mandatory publication of a programme was required due to a number of the EFL’s partnership, sponsorship and opt-in agreements.

EFL Clubs approved an amendment which allows Clubs to opt out of providing advertising in match programmes on the basis it is replaced with other inventory. This amendment will mean that the requirement to deliver programme advertising in the EFL Regulations will only apply if a match programme is produced. The amended regulation provides each Club with the option to determine whether or not they publish a match programme."

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Jun 8, 2018, 3:51 PM)

kirby knitters

Jun 10, 2018, 10:05 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #18 of 20 (9539 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] EFL: printed programmes under threat? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It would be interesting if the clubs that supported a programme free match day supplied the figures on sales a couple of years ago compared to today.

Steelback
First Team Star

Jul 21, 2018, 2:25 AM

Team(s): Northamptonshire Steelbacks : Peterborough United : San Francisco 49ers

Post #19 of 20 (8838 views)
Shortcut

https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2018/july/programme-news/

Oxford United to produce TWO different programmes for every game, a home team & away team edition.

Interesting idea......

‘Informative’ Posts Only, by order of the Forum KGB

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 21, 2018, 4:02 AM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #20 of 20 (8829 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
https://www.oufc.co.uk/...july/programme-news/

Oxford United to produce TWO different programmes for every game, a home team & away team edition.

Interesting idea......

The away programme will apparently only be available at the away turnstiles.

Oxford United's home support tends to be fairly consistent in numbers, but the number of visiting fans at the Kassam can vary widely. Looking at the League One line-up next season could see some real extremes, which they'll obviously have to consider in the print run.

Pompey and Bristol Rovers have usually sold out the 2,500 or so tickets they've been given the last few times they've played here, and you can safely predict that Luton, Coventry and Sunderland will all do so this coming season, too. At the other extreme, I've seen Accrington and Fleetwood turn up with only a double-figure turnout of travelling fans.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3