Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: General Discussion:
Best Non Pyramid League in London?

First page Previous page 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 Next page Last page  View All

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Feb 22, 2017, 5:23 PM

Team(s): Edmonton Rovers (Sunday League) ...and whoever I film for !

Post #726 of 736 (5207 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevegraze] Sunday League Changes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
HughesVideo - I see that your Edmonton Rovers have made a great start in the Barnet Sunday League. Top of Div 2 and unbeaten all season. Well done to your team. What is behind the improved performance? Squad overhaul? How does the standard of the BSL compare to the WSL?

Also, I see that Continental from the WSL also moved to the BSL. Is the Waltham Forest Reserves team in the BSL the actual reserve team of Waltham Forest FC (Saturday team) who play in the Ryman League?

I also see that serial WSL champs Upshire have taken to the Essex Sunday Corinthian League like ducks to water. Top of the Premier league, unbeaten all season with a 100% record.

Yes, a squad overhaul for Edmonton Rovers. There are only 8 players remaining from our Waltham Sunday League days last season and we have managed to find a large number of excellent new players from various different sources.
Obviously the bottom Division of the Barnet Sunday League is nowhere near as strong as Division One of the Waltham League...which we had been stuck in for 10 years, but I would say what has made the biggest difference is actually the rules in the BSL where five substitutes can be used roll-on, roll-off and also, teams are not forced into providing a Club Linesman. In the Waltham League you would get fined for no Club Linesman and only three subs were allowed to be used with no roll-on, roll-off. The BSL's rules encourages all squad members to turn up and watch whereas the Waltham League's rules would almost 'force' players to stay at home for fear of having to run the line and/or not getting a game.
We only had a bare eleven every match in the WSL with nobody on the line apart from myself filming the match. Now, we have five subs every match and about 15 people on the line, including an Assistant Manager and a Goalkeeping Coach. It improves the team spirit so much.

Other ex-Waltham League clubs are also doing well in their new Leagues, including Churchbury and Northaw in our division, and as you say, Continental in the BSL Premier Division.
Upshire likewise in the Essex Sunday Corinthian League, and also several clubs in the East Herts Corinthian Sunday League are doing better than they did in the Waltham League, although some of them have admittedly gone down to lower divisions like us to start afresh.

That is indeed Waltham Forest's Saturday Reserve Team who are playing in Division One of the Barnet Sunday League. We could well be facing them soon in one of the two League Cup competitions we are still in, so that will be interesting. I believe their First Team are in the Essex Senior League nowadays though, not the Ryman.
I wonder what their policy is for that Reserve Team and why they play on Sundays ? Ilford also do it by having a Reserve Team in the Essex Sunday Combination.

As for Sunday League football in general in the North/East London area, the KOPA League is still setting the standard with both New Salamis and Omonia reaching the FA National Sunday Cup Quarter-Finals, while those two are playing each other in the London FA Sunday Challenge Cup Quarter-Finals for a place in the Semis alongside another KOPA team, Olympia, who are already there. I would think Yeni Bogazici Dogan Spor from the Turkish Community Football Federation are likely to be their only challengers.

The Waltham Sunday League are trying to re-form for next season with two divisions of 10 teams in each, but I am having none of it.
The Barnet Sunday League is the future for us. There is great potential for that League to flourish, much as the Essex Sunday Corinthian League is.
What is interesting about the KOPA League though is the sheer amount of teams and individual players who are leaving to join the Barnet Sunday League because of the KOPA's 'no more than two non-Cypriots on the pitch at any one time' rule. I cannot ever see the likes of New Salamis or Omonia joining another League, so I wonder what the KOPA's plans are to get more teams into their League ? I think they only have 8 in the top division and 7 in their second division now ?

http://www.hughesvideoservices.co.uk
http://www.edmontonrovers.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/hughesvideo

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 24, 2017, 5:29 PM

Post #727 of 736 (5098 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HughesVideo] Sunday League Changes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Great news. Glad to hear that your team is enjoying life in the BSL. The WSL will have a hard time convincing teams to join a resurrected league.

I need to resurrect the London cup thread and keep those active as they are our only resource for historic results.

I noticed that the KOPA League is diminishing in size. While the top sides like New Salamis and Omonia will always be quality, I do wonder if this will adversely affect the overall quality of their league? New Salamis have won the KOPA League so many times in a row that it is becoming almost a monopoly (worse than what Bayern do in Germany or PSG in France). This season they are top of the league, have won 10 of their 11 games already, are undefeated, have scored nearly 50 goals and conceded only 5. http://www.kopaleague.com/...-1/league-table.html
They win most of their games 6-0 and only get tested in the LFA Challenge Cup and FA Sunday Cup.

Maybe the future for the KOPA League is to play in inter-league cups like the one that the ILFL and Hackney and Leyton League play in, or they could start a new one against the TCFF and Maccabi Southern League?

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Feb 24, 2017, 6:31 PM

Post #728 of 736 (5080 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevegraze] Sunday League Changes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Maybe the future for the KOPA League is to play in inter-league cups like the one that the ILFL and Hackney and Leyton League play in, or they could start a new one against the TCFF and Maccabi Southern League?

Some teams from the Barnet Sunday League entered the Inter-League Cup this season, which I think is a good move. They were all from the Premier Division, which had been reduced to only 8 teams because of others dropping out.

Regarding the KOPA League, I read recently that one team in their lower division have been deliberately playing 4 or 5 non-Cypriots in their matches with the League's knowledge and therefore accepting the fine and loss of points for each match. They are saying that is the only way they can keep their club alive because they do not have enough Cypriot players to field a team.

Whether they will join the Barnet Sunday League next season because of that I don't know. They might just decide to fold up.

I may be wrong, but I think what has happened over the last 5 years or so is that a lot of the Greek Cypriot community in Enfield & Haringey (where the KOPA League is based) have made their money and moved away into more affluent areas, and in a lot of cases gone back to live in Cyprus, thereby making it more difficult for KOPA League teams to find enough players of Cypriot origin for their squads.

The largest community in Enfield & Haringey now is from Turkey, hence the Turkish Community Football Federation getting stronger in recent years...as we have seen in the London FA Sunday Cup competitions.

Other communities in Enfield & Haringey start up teams that go in either the Barnet Sunday League or the Edmonton Sunday League though, which is good to see.
I cannot see the KOPA League ever thinking of folding with their remaining clubs doing likewise, but you do wonder what must keep New Salamis motivated when there are hardly any new teams joining their League.

Forest Gump
Youth Team Star

Feb 26, 2017, 11:38 AM

Post #729 of 736 (4981 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HughesVideo] Sunday League Changes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
That is indeed Waltham Forest's Saturday Reserve Team who are playing in Division One of the Barnet Sunday League. We could well be facing them soon in one of the two League Cup competitions we are still in, so that will be interesting. I believe their First Team are in the Essex Senior League nowadays though, not the Ryman.
I wonder what their policy is for that Reserve Team and why they play on Sundays ? Ilford also do it by having a Reserve Team in the Essex Sunday Combination.?

We already had our Veterans in the Vets division of the Barnet Sunday League, so it made things a lot easier from an administration perspective. It's also a lot less travelling than the Essex Senior League reserve division, and cheaper too.

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 31, 2018, 5:41 PM

Post #730 of 736 (2095 views)
Shortcut

Resurrecting this thread now that we are down to the semi-finals of the LFA Sunday Challenge Cup and it is the usual suspects:

FC Cortez (Metropolitan Sunday League) -v- Mile End (Hackney and Leyton League) - Feb 11

New Salamis (KOPA League) -v- FC Bickley (Orpington and Bromley District League) - Feb 18

All 4 semi-finalists are the current reigning champions of their league.

My money is on a Mile End v New Salamis final.

(This post was edited by stevegraze on Jan 31, 2018, 5:45 PM)

London Harrier
First Team Star

Apr 16, 2018, 5:40 PM

Post #731 of 736 (902 views)
Shortcut

Slightly off topic, but broadly speaking, has the standard of Sunday League football in the top divisions (London based or otherwise) improved over the last few decades? Or have the best Sunday League sides always fielded semi-professional and amateur players from the Saturday game?

A cursory glance at the finalists for the FA Sunday Cup over the last few year reveals most of the players are regulars at Step 5 and above. Is this a recent phenomenon?

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 16, 2018, 6:06 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #732 of 736 (892 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Sunday League Changes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Merseyside teams who dominated the Sunday Cup in the 80s had a sprinkling of players from steps 1 and 2 in their squads. Names such as Kenny McKenna, Harry Wiggins, Chris Camden, Steve Joel and Steve Skeete immediately spring to mind, as well as a few South Liverpool players when we were NPL (step 2 at the time). Players of that calibre wouldn't be allowed to play Sunday football these days.

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Apr 16, 2018, 7:39 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #733 of 736 (855 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Sunday League Changes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Some good players there! Were they playing openly? I am prettty sure the first two weren't (or, if they were, it was never made public) during their time at Altrincham.
At a later date, I can remember Altrincham preventing Peter Band from playing for East Levenshulme in the FA Sunday Cup in 2002. The original agreement was that he would play for both clubs, but this was reneged upo, when we having a torrid time at Step 2 (I always said that was the worst Alty team I had ever seen ...until last season).

I also know of an established and then current Football League player who played as a ringer in the Wythenshawe Sunday League in the nineties, but don't think I should say who it was, in case somebody sues Leo, but I agree with Paul, it's not a new thing to have players at the top level of the non-League game playing Sunday football.

(This post was edited by Sale Holmfield on Apr 16, 2018, 7:41 PM)

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Apr 16, 2018, 9:14 PM

Post #734 of 736 (822 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Sunday League Changes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Slightly off topic, but broadly speaking, has the standard of Sunday League football in the top divisions (London based or otherwise) improved over the last few decades? Or have the best Sunday League sides always fielded semi-professional and amateur players from the Saturday game?

A cursory glance at the finalists for the FA Sunday Cup over the last few year reveals most of the players are regulars at Step 5 and above. Is this a recent phenomenon?

As far as the London area is concerned, from my 41 years experience in Sunday League football, I would say the standard has naturally improved as regards fitness and the speed of the game, as it has at all levels.
There have always been non-contract players from Step 5 and above who still play at that level on Saturdays, but what you get now is more ex-Step 5 and above players playing on Sundays because it is harder to commit to the Saturday/Tuesday/Thursday routine in getting time off work...and the roads being so crowded.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 16, 2018, 10:05 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #735 of 736 (805 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Sunday League Changes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Some good players there! Were they playing openly? I am prettty sure the first two weren't (or, if they were, it was never made public) during their time at Altrincham.

Yes, it was all open and I'm pretty sure I saw all those names playing in Sunday Cup Finals. Re McKenna and Wiggins, this would have been around the mid 1980s when they were at Telford while sweeping the board with the Avenue on Sundays. I think it was towards the end of the 80s that clubs began making it more difficult for their better players to play Sunday League.

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Apr 16, 2018, 10:15 PM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #736 of 736 (793 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Sunday League Changes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ricky Hayles immediately springs to mind from the modern era.

Hornchurch and he were in dispute as regards his Sunday morning outings.

First page Previous page 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3