Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: International Hopping:
Naples area trip

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Mar 21, 2018, 11:02 PM

Team(s): Whoever plays Ipswich Town

Post #1 of 8 (4592 views)
Shortcut
Naples area trip Can't Post or Reply Privately

On Friday I was on the 07:25 easyjet flight from Gatwick which arrived 5mins earlier than the scheduled time of 10:50 in Naples/Napoli.
I paid 5 Euros on the bus which doesn't take long & the 1st stop is the Central train station which was very close to where I was staying.
I had a good wander round the city in mostly cloudy & cool conditions. I visited the Gallerie di Palazzo Zevallos Stigliano.
I also tried getting a Napoli match ticket. I tried various places with no success. It was either the 3rd or 4th club shop which finally sold me a ticket. I gave details as per my passport but they then said the courier will bring the ticket in 20mins. I didn't pay & waited until ticket arrived. Nearly 30mins later I had the ticket. The price I paid 35 Euros which is as per what I'd seen on internet didn't match what was on the ticket 28 Euros but didn't understand the reason.
I later returned to my hotel & there was light rain.
-
On Saturday I visited the Museo e Real Bosco di Capodimonte which I should've visited on the Friday as I really needed more time. As I left it started raining. When the bus finally turned up (no timetables or info board) it was ridiculously packed so there was no chance of being pickpocted (there's warning signs in a lot of places here). Both journeys I couldn't validate my ticket.
I then got the Cumana train from Montesanto station which cost 2.20 Euros. I couldn't see any info but was advised of the platform no. but wasn't sure they meant this train. It was the one I wanted. I got off at the Arco Felice station on the outskirts of Pozzuoli & had a wander round.
-

The ground isn't far from the station & you can see a floodlight as the ground is slightly uphill.
Campania - Promozione Girone B (level 6)
Rione Terra Calcio 5 (9, 14, 41, 61 & 88, red on 50)
Associazione Sportiva Dilattantistica Mondo Sport 1 (55, red on 50)
KO: 15:00, started at 15:05 Att: 32 h/c Cost: Free Saw no progs

-
Venue: Stadio Domenico Conte, Pozzuoli

4 corner floodlight poles with a concrete wall around the pitch. Above for most of both sides is high flexi-glass? while the remainder has high fencing. The main side for just over half the pitch has hardstanding at front then up 12 steps is metal like grills to stand on at front with a rail. There's 9 metal rows of (plenty of leaks) covered faded blue seats. Yellow & blue painted at the back. This is the only part for spectators to watch from. In other corner is tiny h/s area with a lemon tree next to it behind the fence. Behind the near goal is a concrete track where 5 vehicles were parked inc police car. Behind are 3-storey pink & yellow blocks of flats. Further away may be a vulcano as per google map. The other side appears to have 7 steep rows of concrete steps. Above an approx 10ft brick wall reaching both 18yd boxes are 9 rows of faded blue concrete steps with low fencing at the front. Behind at the top appears to be a mini-pitch & directly behind is a steep hill with trees. Behind other goal for half is a 1-storey & 2-storey (with balcony) white buildings housing the changing rooms. Remainder has space in front of a high concrete wall. Above this are 3 separate areas with walls & railing. Behind are low blocks of flats.
-
Match: 11th v 16th out of 16

It rained virtually all game until almost at the end the sun came out. It was breezy & cool.
RT dominated with gk saving on 3mins & from resultant corner a header went over. It wasn't long before a 1on1 with gk was slotted in & then a glancing header also went in. On 29mins a volley went just over. MSC broke with a rare attack & gk saved on 33mins. The game was effectively over when a corner was headed in. Shots 9-2.
-
h/t break lasted just over 12mins.
-
RT had shot saved on 76 seconds of re-start. MSC player slid in with one foot up studs showing & player went down injured. He got booked but an RT player put his hands to MSC players face & was promptly kicked. It appeared no action was being taken. Then away from this there was an incident & suddenly players & benches ran over with some running around with some punches thrown. I assumed the match would be abandoned. Both teams lost a player. There hadn't been any nastiness during the game & when the game re-started there was no further nasty incidents. MSC had a shot loop over gk & drop into the goal off the post. A middle of the pitch cross was volleyed in to make it 4-1. They then shot wide on 64mins. MSC had a good chance for a 2nd goal saved on 70mins. RT had shot saved on 85mins before a close range shot was pushed onto the bar by the gk & dropped down with the ref awarding a goal despite protests. Despite the delay the ref played no injury time just like in the 1st half. Shots 11-6.
-
Back on the train & later it was raining again & it was heavy for most of the night including a deluge at one point. There was also a thunderstorm.

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Mar 21, 2018, 11:03 PM

Post #2 of 8 (4591 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pinewoodste] Naples area trip [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sunday morning was heavy or deluges of rain. I got drenched. One place I visited was closed & then somewhere else had long queues so I gave up & went back to hotel.
In the rain I later caught the Vesuviano train which cost 1.60 Euros to Portici Bellavista. It stopped raining on arrival. No activity at the ground so I had a brief wander & still no activity. I asked at the next door sports centre, the guy behind the counter was no help & a guy outside just pointed to the stadium. A few mins before ko I gave up assuming the match had been postponed due to waterlogged pitch. There appeared to be a few postponements this weekend. My game was supposed to be: Serie D Girone I (level 4), KO 14:30 - ASD Portici 1906 (v) FC Isola Capo Rizzuto at Stadio San Ciro. As I waited for the train the rain came back. I'm sure I saw the ground address in a couple of places but the key address was located on their Facebook page which I missed looking at. We can't look at Facebook at work. They appear to now play in Mugnano di Napoli which is slightly NW of Napoli while Portici is a few miles SE of Napoli.
-
There were two thunderstorms I encountered today as I went out in the heavy rain again to go to Napoli's game. There are numerous ways to get to the stadium & I chose Metro line 2. Unfortunately, I got to the station & they don't sell tickets so I had to go back to the machine by line 1. Surprisingly the train had come from Salerno & even more of a surprise was this one wasn't covered in graffitti. I got off at Campi Flegrei station The ground is almost straight ahead & not far away. Mostra station is even closer.
-
Lega Serie A (level 1)
Societa Sportiva Calcio Napoli 1 (71)
Genoa Cricket & Football Club 0
KO: 20:45 Att: 30,059 as per Corriere dello Sport paper (smallest crowd this season)
Cost: I think I saw 60, 35 & 20 Euros I saw a couple of people who may have had progs

-
Venue: Stadio San Paolo, Napoli

I went to my gate but it was closed so I was pointed to another gate which wasn't that close. I joined the queue 90mins before ko expecting problems but after 3 ticket checks inc showing my passport at the 1st one I was in surprisingly with my brolley as well. It appears they don't let big brolleys through.
Wrap-a-round mostly all seater stadium with mostly faded red seats. Lights along the roof. 8 lane running track with usual athletics stuff & a moat. All bar an area on the main side has the same furniture. The lower tier has approx 4 rows of concrete steps then approx 25 rows of seats with over half covered due to the overhang above. The upper tier has 35 rows of mostly covered seats & at the back behind fencing are 9 more rows of seats. Assume most of the main part is also covered. Lower tier has approx 8 rows of seats with the middle area being blue. The upper tier has approx 35 rows of seats but there's areas where the press are. Only food & drink inside ground are from guys walking around with big buckets. Plenty of food stalls outside but no prices.
-
Match: 2nd v 13th out of 20

Cool & slightly breezy during the game.
The way my day had panned out this was bound to end up being my 1st 0-0 of the season.
At 20:45 no one was on the pitch. A very good 1st half saw GEN attack & shot just off target on 14mins & then NAP went straight down the other end to shoot just wide. On 25mins NAP shot was saved. I thought GEN had scored a header from a corner on 33mins but it just missed the target. NAP had chance go over on 39mins & as NAP finished stronger they had a glancing header strike the post from a corner on 43mins. Shots 8-7.
-
h/t break lasted just under 16mins.
-
GEN weren't so good this half. NAP hit the post again on 50mins & a couple of mins later a chip went just over. GEN made gk save on 64mins. Finally a goal was scored , a glancing header from a corner. On 86mins a dink over the gk was cleared off the line. Shots 6-4.
-
GEN fans were in a corner in a lower tier. One curve was fairly full & let off a couple of flares while close to where I was sitting was the other curve. They didn't stop chanting/singing/arm waving throughout the game creating a good atmosphere. They let off more red flares which I always enjoy seeing & they don't appear to throw them. Even after the game they were noisy.
The highest crowd here this season was unsurprisingly against Juventus 55,567 then 53,609 v Sassuolo & two 49,000+ crowds v Inter & Benevento. After todays lowest is 32,490 v Lazio & 34,270 v Spal.
-
I'd heard/read that getting away after a late game isn't easy. You really couldn't make it up. I went into various stations before the game. The metro which had timetable machine is closed after the game. The Cumana train which didn't have any timetables but I managed to get an answer advising no trains after the game. I tried at the bus area & was told bus 151 but someone else then said that finishes too early. I was advised of bus N1 which leaves at 23:50. I found the bus stop & it was the one service which had a timetable although it didn't have this time on it. There was a large crowd at the bus stop anyway. I heard an English voice & approached them & we got a taxi together as we were roughly staying near each other. An Everton supporting fan from San Diego, a Tunisian who no longer watches football in Tunisia & his mate. No taxi's to start with but we got one. It was 25 Euros although the Tunisian haggled & tried 20 but I think may have got it down to 24. I was first off & there was another deluge of rain. What a shambles.

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Mar 21, 2018, 11:04 PM

Post #3 of 8 (4590 views)
Shortcut

On Monday the sun was out when I got up but a 10min deluge of rain at breakfast. It was then partly sunny but a cool breeze. The trains appeared to be running late but no info. I got on the Vesuviana train (2.80 Euros) but this one went to Pompei (modern town). I'm glad I had a look round here first before visiting the ruins. At approx 13:00 for a few hours there was more heavy rain.
I then arrived to check out the bus trip to Mount Vesuvius. At 14:15 I was told the last bus was at 14:00. There was other buses but they advised me of a cheap option with timetable downstairs. I caught the last bus at 14:50 (6.20 Euros return) with a couple of Canadians. The driver on his mobile phone on the twisting & turning roads but he started driving very slow. The bus was 'broken' he said. We kept stopping & it was very cold & fairly cloudy. He kept saying a replacement bus would come in 5mins. Surprisingly we made it to the bus stop area but the vulcano was closed due to bad weather. You could hardly see anything due to the cloud. There was the odd bit of snow we saw. Within a couple of mins of going down the replacement bus turned up. I had to laugh when the engine was looked at by 5 repairmen. Back in Pompei it was dry but chilly as I caught the train from the station which is close to the ruins.
-
The rain returned at night. I could've gone to a level 3 game 30+mins away but ko was 20:45. The train timetables showed discrepancies so I wasn't sure if there was one train I could catch back fter the game. It might have been approx 23:18 but tbh I didn't want to risk it. People often moan about our transport network but I found here very poor. I enjoyed the city despite the weather but I found it a dirty city.
-

On Tuesday I was on the 11:25 flight back & as I was boarding the plane it was raining hevaily again. The plane landed over 25mins ahead of the scheduled time of 13:25 at Gatwick.
The car journey back saw a hold up on the M23 & I took an early turning off the M25 due to 45-75min delays although hearing on Essex radio they might not have affected me.

brb
Reserve Team Sub

Mar 21, 2018, 11:24 PM

Team(s): SG Dynamo Dresden, FC Stahl Brandenburg

Post #4 of 8 (4580 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for reporting. Enjoy to read. As always.

But, I really dont understand why not trying to watch the monday evening match nearby. Just travel that 30 min down there, for some 3 euros... and then ask the station staff whats with that scheduled train leaving 23hrs ... or ask at napoli centrale as well. ..

in all reports from the "continent", I often feel you (all posters, young or not that young) are some kind of frightened, abroad from home ...

but, keep on travelling and reporting!

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 22, 2018, 1:48 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #5 of 8 (4541 views)
Shortcut
Re: [brb] Naples area trip [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

in all reports from the "continent", I often feel you (all posters, young or not that young) are some kind of frightened, abroad from home ...

===================================================

Intrigued how you come to that conclusion , there are a few intrepid travellers/hoppers on this forum.

===================================================

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 127 / 107 / 20 / 5 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 07 / 12 / 2019 . Belgium top 5 tiers 0-0-0-(0-1-0)-(0-1-1-2) / Holland top 4 tiers - 0-0-0-(0-0) / Lux top 2 tiers 0 -2. England top 10 tiers - 0. Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 22, 2018, 2:10 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #6 of 8 (4529 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

-
The rain returned at night. I could've gone to a level 3 game 30+mins away but ko was 20:45. The train timetables showed discrepancies so I wasn't sure if there was one train I could catch back after the game. It might have been approx 23:18 but tbh I didn't want to risk it.

=================================================

Yes it was 23-18 and a 30 minute journey back into Naples.Game finished and away by 22-40 and then what would have been a 20/25 min walk to station .
================================================

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 127 / 107 / 20 / 5 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 07 / 12 / 2019 . Belgium top 5 tiers 0-0-0-(0-1-0)-(0-1-1-2) / Holland top 4 tiers - 0-0-0-(0-0) / Lux top 2 tiers 0 -2. England top 10 tiers - 0. Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

tomCFC
Youth Team Sub

Aug 23, 2018, 1:16 PM

Team(s): Chesterfield

Post #7 of 8 (3588 views)
Shortcut

Sorry to drag up an old thread but rather this an create a new one.

Where abouts in the city can you buy the tickets? Thinking of going to the Lazio game in Jan and assume looking at those crowds tickets the day before / day of game shouldn't be a problem?

Also does anyone know how far in advance the TV schedule / games will be confirmed?

Looks like most games at 5pm/7.30pm Sunday but a couple on a Saturday which might be tricky for us as the cheap flights are Sat afternoon.

Cheers,

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Aug 27, 2018, 11:27 PM

Post #8 of 8 (3304 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tomCFC] Naples area trip [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I can't remember the name of the road but it was near the royal palace on a pedestrianised (I think) street with shops both sides of the road.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3