Bottom and adrift to Play Offs?

philglossop
Youth Team Star

Feb 19, 2018, 6:50 AM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 7 (2939 views)
Shortcut
Bottom and adrift to Play Offs? Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bit of a turnaround in League 1 for Plymouth Argyle this season to put it mildly!

October they were bottom and adrift. Even Bury who couldn’t get a win themselves at the time were ahead in the table.

Since 25th November they’ve lost once to Wigan (who should be champions imho come May) and are now on 5 game winning run including beating Shrewsbury and Blackburn. They’re now 7th with 50 points.

There must be other league teams who’ve done something similar in recent times but I can’t think of any.

I can’t see Argyle in the playoffs this season to fair as they’ve tough fixtures against Peterborough/Scunthorpe/Portsmouth to come but given most locals here had them down for a relegation scrap it’s some turnaround!

zebedee
First Team Star

Feb 19, 2018, 9:35 PM

Team(s): Southport

Post #2 of 7 (2766 views)
Shortcut
Re: [philglossop] Bottom and adrift to Play Offs? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In 2015-16 Barnsley were bottom of League One in November but ended up winning the playoffs.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 22, 2018, 1:20 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #3 of 7 (2516 views)
Shortcut
Re: [philglossop] Bottom and adrift to Play Offs? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I can’t see Argyle in the playoffs this season to fair as they’ve tough fixtures against Peterborough/Scunthorpe/Portsmouth to come but given most locals here had them down for a relegation scrap it’s some turnaround!

Personally, I can see Plymouth making the play-offs and doing very well should they get there.

Barring the top three of Wigan, Shrewsbury and Blackburn, nobody in that top half has shown any sort of consistency lately. The fact that Bradford’s form has been so dreadful since well before Christmas and yet they’re still in the running shows quite how inconsistent everyone else around them has been. Rotherham have shown some form of late, but all the others up there - Scunthorpe, Pompey, Peterborough, Charlton, Bradford and others - are proving very stop-start with their form.

In any six-pointers involving Plymouth and any of that lot, I know who I’d put my money on at the moment.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 24, 2018, 7:18 PM

Post #4 of 7 (2374 views)
Shortcut

I see Plymouth won again today, 1-0 at home to Bradford. That's now six wins on the trot, and they've lost just one of their last fifteen matches (and that was against Wigan).

Also, none of the six teams immediately behind Plymouth in the table managed to win today, with them all continuing their mediocre runs of form. The only side below Plymouth with any sort of decent form is Southend in distant 13th place, nine points behind.

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Mar 11, 2018, 4:39 PM

Team(s): Darlingto

Post #5 of 7 (2012 views)
Shortcut

When Roy Keane took over Sunderland they were practically bottom of the Championship, they went onto win the League.

On New Years Day 2007, they were about 13th in the League and went on a run that saw them lose only once through the rest of the season and won the League on the Last day at Luton

Mista Fozz

Husband, Dad, Mascot Extraordinaire and all round Idiot

nisi tu Deus, qui possit iudicare
My Facebook Profile
My Twitter Feed

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 11, 2018, 6:51 PM

Post #6 of 7 (1960 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MistaFozzII] Bottom and adrift to Play Offs? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And there are sides who have slumped the other way just as spectacularly, too. At Christmas 1995, Millwall were top of Division One - not long after, manager Mick McCarthy left to take over the Republic Of Ireland and Millwall fell all the way to 22nd place, being relegated on goal difference on the final day of the season.

At the start of January 1993, Fiorentina were in second place behind AC Milan in Serie A, but were relegated on the final day of the season.

As for Plymouth Argyle, their run of six consecutive wins came to an end yesterday, with a 1-1 draw at Fleetwood. They have still only lost one of their last sixteen league matches (and that was v. Wigan), stretching all the way back to early December. Of their remaining ten matches left this season, only a trip to Scunthorpe and the visit of Rotherham look remotely difficult, with the majority of the rest being against end-of-season mid-table cannon fodder.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 17, 2018, 8:06 PM

Post #7 of 7 (1653 views)
Shortcut

And another win for Plymouth, and they're back in the play-offs thanks to Peterborough losing at Oxford. They have a match in hand over Scunthorpe, who are one place and one point above them and have themselves gone seven matches without a win. Scunthorpe host Plymouth on Eater Monday.

Plymouth's league form since early December now stands at:

Played 17, won 12, drawn 4, lost 1 (against Wigan)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3