Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: International Hopping:
FC Utrecht

Workington FC
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 22, 2018, 5:47 PM

Team(s): Workington Reds, St Ives Roosters RLFC

Post #1 of 5 (2657 views)
Shortcut
FC Utrecht Can't Post or Reply Privately

Friday 19th January 2018
Eredivisie
FC Utrecht 1 AZ Alkmaar 1
Admission 27.50 euro
Programme – Free
Attendance -18,457

I wasn’t sure where to go on this trip and originally I was going to go to Go Ahead Eagles. Problems trying to purchase a ticket on line for their game led to a change of plan. I had obtained a free FC Utrecht club card last season. I registered online and the plastic card was sent out free of charge. Using their website was easy with a print at home ticket option taken.

Arriving in Utrecht led to me losing my bearings completely as I couldn’t find the massive bus station underneath the railway one. Yes….. I know. Outside the station in my haste to find a bus I found a ticket machine for the bus but they now no longer accept cash. Just Maestro cards and I didn’t have one. So I went for the taxi option which drove around a corner and through the bus station !! The cost was 15 euro. The outside of the stadium is like an office complex. Luckily the taxi dropped me off at the right stand and it was only by chance I saw the concealed entrance. Before entering I popped into the club shop with the intention of buying a replica shirt. The quality was so poor that I didn’t bother and went for a reduced priced option of a 3rd choice away one from last season. A bargain at 10 euro but not when I got it home and tried it on. This XL was a lot smaller than a standard sized one. I now possess a shirt that looks like it has been painted on me.

As you enter the ground a free colour glossy programme is given out free of charge. It is A5 size and has 36 pages. There are a lot of adverts but it has content and some nice pictures of the ground. No complaints from me but free of charge – how do they do it? Food and drink is purchased by card. The card costs three euro which you get back when you redeem the card. No cash is accepted and once again Maestro cards can be used. A large beer was 5 euro.

An unusual feature of the stand was the players tunnel is built into it. It is a flight of stairs with glass panel walls – the kids in the stand loved it. The stadium itself is very good. Great sight lines and comfortable seats. It also has a unique design. I really enjoyed this game. It was a slow first half but in the second both teams went for it in an end to end game. Unfortunately AZ’s Guus Till was guilty of carrying out one of the worst acts of play acting I‘ve ever seen during a game. Pretending he was seriously injured when he hadn’t been touched. The referee had a right go at him twice for not getting up. He should have cautioned him but didn’t. Eventually he did get up and sprinted off into the distance.

Getting back to the railway station was easy. Loads of buses outside and it was free of charge. I was back in central Utrecht in no longer than 10 minutes.

Overall a really good trip and one that I would recommend.

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 22, 2018, 8:59 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #2 of 5 (2609 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Workington FC] FC Utrecht [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It's a few years since I was last in the Netherlands but I wonder how tourists without Maestro cards manage to get around?

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 23, 2018, 8:11 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #3 of 5 (2370 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] FC Utrecht [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've got an OV Chipkaart -

https://www.ov-chipkaart.nl/...-an-ov-chipkaart.htm

It works like an Oyster card, but covers the whole country for trains, buses and trams.

Mishi

Jan 24, 2018, 11:36 AM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #4 of 5 (2229 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] FC Utrecht [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Probably the same as they do on London buses, which don't take cash...they buy whatever the local version of a Travelcard.

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

cope1

Jan 24, 2018, 7:19 PM

Post #5 of 5 (2118 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] FC Utrecht [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've been several times and I can't remember how I paid for travel but I've never had any problems. At PSV we had to buy a package each (€65 which includes €20 of coupons for food and drink and the club shop) but at Utrecht we turned up in our rental car, were told that we weren't allowed to use the car park without prior booking before the guy waved us in for free, and then marched up to the desk to buy tickets, were told we couldn't buy them without a membership card, before the guy sold us them anyway. Apparently as long as you know you can't do it, you can do it.

I recall we spent far too much time rifling through those reduction bins and nearly missed kickoff. I don't remember the players' tunnel but I do remember they had space heaters above the seats, as they did at PSV.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3