RIP - Dead Celebrities 2018

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Sep 22, 2018, 8:09 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #201 of 214 (7054 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] RIP - Dead Celebrities 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Chas Hodges of Chas & Dave fame and famous Tottenham Hotspur fan, having recorded their FA Cup final songs in the 1980's, has died aged 74.

Chas & Dave performed at the British Summer Time festival just a few weeks ago. RIP Chas

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 24, 2018, 8:27 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #202 of 214 (6915 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Towlawtom] RIP - Dead Celebrities 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Actor Dudley Sutton has died aged 85.

Probably best known as Tinker Dill in Lovejoy, thought his best role was when he played Trusty turned hostage taker Reg Urwin in the Xmas Porridge Episode . Absolutely brilliant!!

Yesterday, I went to a book-signing and Q&A of actors who'd appeared in 'The Professionals', organised by the Misty Moon Film Society which took place at the Cinema Museum in Lambeth.

Beforehand, they played this really rather lovely and funny tribute to Dudley Sutton...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYyF98yuGBI

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 25, 2018, 9:34 PM

Post #203 of 214 (6821 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] RIP - Dead Celebrities 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well, some of you might believe this and some might not but I claim sightings of Chas & Dave and Dudley Sutton in the same pub in the 80s, though not at the same time. This was the Crown & Cushion in Chipping Norton.

DS strolled in with some friends on a Sunday lunchtime, making a rather actorish entry in a very long coat and scarf. I can't remember what he drank but Chas and Dave were certainly working their way through pints of 6X in the corner of the lounge, taking a break from recording at the studios in the town. It was my stepbrother who clocked them I wouldn't have known them from any of the other drinkers, so ordinary were they in their appearance and behaviour.

The beer mat that they signed is in the house somewhere...

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 25, 2018, 9:57 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #204 of 214 (6808 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] RIP - Dead Celebrities 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Well, some of you might believe this and some might not but I claim sightings of Chas & Dave and Dudley Sutton in the same pub in the 80s, though not at the same time. This was the Crown & Cushion in Chipping Norton.

DS strolled in with some friends on a Sunday lunchtime, making a rather actorish entry in a very long coat and scarf. I can't remember what he drank but Chas and Dave were certainly working their way through pints of 6X in the corner of the lounge, taking a break from recording at the studios in the town. It was my stepbrother who clocked them I wouldn't have known them from any of the other drinkers, so ordinary were they in their appearance and behaviour.

The beer mat that they signed is in the house somewhere...

The pub is just round the corner from where the Chipping Norton Recording Studios used to be from 1971 to 1999, back in the years when this was quite a musical hot-bed.

Ripping off almost all this info from Wikipedia, it seems that Chippy saw the recording of these chart hits, among others...

'Baker Street' by Gerry Rafferty,
'In The Army Now' by Status Quo,
'Too Shy' by Kajagoogoo,
'I Should Have Known Better' by Jim Diamond,
'Creep' by Radiohead,
'I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles' by The Proclaimers,
'Perfect' by Fairground Attraction,
'Promise Me' by Beverley Craven,
'(I Just) Died In Your Arms Tonight' by Cutting Crew,
'Eighteen With A Bullet' by Pete Wingfield,
'Bye, Bye, Baby (Baby Goodbye)' by Bay City Rollers,

and further material by...

Dexy's Midnight Runners, Duran Duran, Marianne Faithfull, Wet Wet Wet, Jeff Beck, XTC, Alison Moyet, Therapy? and plenty of others.

XTC were always big fans of this recording studio, and I'm pretty sure Lilac Time were too.

MelChester
Ballboy/girl

Sep 26, 2018, 9:10 AM

Team(s):

Post #205 of 214 (6754 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] RIP - Dead Celebrities 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Dudley Sutton had a long association with The Theatre in Chipping Norton, producing and directing a number of productions and Pantomimes.

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Sep 27, 2018, 4:42 PM

Post #206 of 214 (6618 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MelChester] RIP - Dead Celebrities 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

John Cunliffe, author of Postman Pat and Rosie & Jim has died aged 85. John also appeared in the TV series of Rosie & Jim where he would write and draw stories on a barge which travelled along canals.

Towlawtom
Reserve Team Sub

Oct 1, 2018, 12:46 PM

Post #207 of 214 (6480 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] RIP - Dead Celebrities 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or

Geoffrey Hayes of Childrens TV Rainbow fame has sadly died aged 76
https://www.bbc.co.uk/...inment-arts-45706667

I need to have the last word as it makes it look as if i'm always right!

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Oct 1, 2018, 3:00 PM

Post #208 of 214 (6444 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Towlawtom] RIP - Dead Celebrities 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Charles Aznavou, French entertainer has died at 94

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 1, 2018, 3:51 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #209 of 214 (6426 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] RIP - Dead Celebrities 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Charles Aznavour, French entertainer has died at 94

A man who never forgot his Armenian roots and did an awful lot for the country, including humanitarian work. So much so that he was not only granted Armenian citizenship but also became an Ambassador for the country to the UN and other overseas organisations: http://ungeneva.mfa.am/en/ambassador/. There's even a square named after him in the capital, Yerevan.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 1, 2018, 7:52 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #210 of 214 (6385 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] RIP - Dead Celebrities 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There is a star in his honour which I saw last year in the courtyard of Rabati Castle in Akhaltsikhe, Georgia which was his father's home town.

noprogs
First Team Regular

Oct 3, 2018, 4:36 PM

Team(s):

Post #211 of 214 (6284 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] RIP - Dead Celebrities 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Marty Balin, founder member of Jefferson Airplane.
I believe they were the only group to play at all three major festivals of the late 60's, Monterey, Woodstock & Altamont

broodleyhoo
Reserve Team Star

Oct 3, 2018, 5:42 PM

Team(s): Birmingham City, Selby Town, Keighley Cougars, Alvechurch CC

Post #212 of 214 (6248 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] RIP - Dead Celebrities 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I understand from listening to Ken Bruce today that Geoff Emerick (sp?) engineer under George Martin for many of the Beatles' finest, and also heavily involved in much good work by Elvis Costello amongst many others died yesterday (?) at the age of 72.

Apologies if others have noted this elsewhere.

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 6, 2018, 11:19 AM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #213 of 214 (5057 views)
Shortcut
Re: [broodleyhoo] RIP - Dead Celebrities 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Montserrat Caballe, Spanish opera singer best known for the hit duet 'Barcelona' with Freddie Mercury, has died aged 85.

Tykeoldboy
First Team Star

Oct 6, 2018, 7:24 PM

Post #214 of 214 (4884 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cherryhopper] RIP - Dead Celebrities 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ray Galton, co-write of such comedy classics as Steptoe & Son and Hancocks Half Hour, has died aged 89

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3