Sticky for Southern League Physical Non Issuers 2017 - 2018

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Jan 10, 2018, 11:56 AM

Team(s): Nuneaton Griff

Post #151 of 165 (3987 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MACKY] Sticky for Southern League Physical Non Issuers 2017 - 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You moved on again Macky?

MACKY
Youth Team Regular

Jan 10, 2018, 5:56 PM

Team(s): Darlaston, Dudley Town, Gornal Ath, Dudley Sports, Bilston, Willenhall,

Post #152 of 165 (3897 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GRIFFON] Sticky for Southern League Physical Non Issuers 2017 - 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

No Griffon i'm not with any club, just working with local radio as I have been on and off for past 6 years.
I have been issuing for Black Country Rangers for past 2 seasons.
Happy to float the grounds now mate, no rushing around, just turn up watch the game and go home.

Hope your keeping well.

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Jan 10, 2018, 8:01 PM

Post #153 of 165 (3817 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MACKY] Sticky for Southern League Physical Non Issuers 2017 - 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I am pretty good thank you.
Great to hear you are enjoying your football and 'doing your bit' as they say. Keep digging those rare issuers out for us paper chasers!Laugh

MACKY
Youth Team Regular

Jan 12, 2018, 7:31 PM

Team(s): Darlaston, Dudley Town, Gornal Ath, Dudley Sports, Bilston, Willenhall,

Post #154 of 165 (3632 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GRIFFON] Sticky for Southern League Physical Non Issuers 2017 - 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just found some WMRL Cup Final programmes from last season Haughmond v Smethwick. Do you need one.

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Jan 12, 2018, 8:39 PM

Post #155 of 165 (3603 views)
Shortcut

That is very kind of you pal but because of space these days I have to limit my collection to one per club. Have just given away a load to a certain club shop who make very good use of them but even restricting them I still have thousands boxed away so just looking for new issuers or rare issuers.
Recently picked up a few newish issuers in our own MFL.
Many thanks again for thinking of me.

NeilH
Youth Team Star

Jan 29, 2018, 9:36 PM

Team(s): Cambridge City

Post #156 of 165 (3016 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DaveH] Sticky for Southern League Physical Non Issuers 2017 - 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I came to this thread to report that Fleet Town did a basic 4-pager on Saturday with a download available on their website. Might have missed it but don't recall Fleet being mentioned before on this thread. Anyway, whilst a collector of many years I won't be printing off the on-line version as happy with what I got at the ground and the online version adds little for me.

I had missed the recent posts and was very interested in reading DaveH's rational behind the shelving of the St Ives prog. Whilst I don't know Dave I know his prog and it is really good. I contribute a weekly "met before" article for Cambridge City's prog and I know how long that can take to put together so fully appreciate the effort that goes into production.

I'm not sure exactly how much, if any, money Cambridge City make from selling their prog but I do know we sell a high percentage of what we produce. For most matches I sell the City progs or 50/50 tickets at home games. I was pleased to be described as a "barrow boy" when some footie bloggers visited a few weeks back, as I do try and make a point of making it known things are for sale. There is no doubt that the "Town Crier" approach does mean we sell more, whether that be progs or raffle tickets. However, as DaveH points out the number of prog sales does not match the on-line exposure, so I can see why some clubs are calling it a day.

Perhaps the Fleet approach is the compromise, a decent piece of paper for the needy (that includes me) and everything else on line?

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Jan 29, 2018, 11:07 PM

Post #157 of 165 (2992 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NeilH] Sticky for Southern League Physical Non Issuers 2017 - 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes, when I visited back in December, Fleet Town issued a basic folded A4 teamsheet at the turnstile with a welcome on the front and sponsors adverts on the back.

I did print off the digital programme for posterity; well, the 6 pages of it that weren't adverts ....

DaveH
Junior Team Star

Jan 30, 2018, 2:28 PM

Team(s): St Ives Town FC

Post #158 of 165 (2838 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NeilH] Sticky for Southern League Physical Non Issuers 2017 - 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Having thought about next season, I have decided that the 'Fleet' 4 pager is the way to go. I.e put a welcome and managers comments on the back of the team sheet. A fuller downloadable copy will be available on line.

As you say this should keep the paper chasers relatively satisfied, plus I can print to order as we have a printer at the club.

The Programme is dead. Long live on-line!!

TAWMAN
Junior Team Star

Jan 31, 2018, 2:55 PM

Post #159 of 165 (2644 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DaveH] Sticky for Southern League Physical Non Issuers 2017 - 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In all the general debates about clubs not producing programmes anymore, club websites are held up as a valid alternative for communication to fans. That may well be the case for some/most Southern League clubs who produce perfectly satisfactory programmes to download and keep their websites up to date, interesting and easy to trawl around. But what about the clubs in all manner of different leagues whose websites are crap and contain either little info, are weeks/months behind or are badly laid out? What sort of alternative is that?

Also, wouldn't programmes be bought in greater numbers if they contained stuff that was actually interesting and not the same template information and predictable clichéd reports. Also, so many look the same, content and size wise. Where's the individuality gone - most are the football equivalent of most town/city centre shopping areas, generic and boring. In Scotland quite a few teams at all levels have programmes that contain thought-provoking and/or humorous articles, or a bit off-the-wall every now and then.

DaveH
Junior Team Star

Feb 1, 2018, 11:04 AM

Post #160 of 165 (2546 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TAWMAN] Sticky for Southern League Physical Non Issuers 2017 - 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Also, wouldn't programmes be bought in greater numbers if they contained stuff that was actually interesting and not the same template information and predictable clichéd reports. Also, so many look the same, content and size wise. Where's the individuality gone - most are the football equivalent of most town/city centre shopping areas, generic and boring. In Scotland quite a few teams at all levels have programmes that contain thought-provoking and/or humorous articles, or a bit off-the-wall every now and then.

From my own experience is no, they aren't. I try and put as many articles in my prog as possible to make it as interesting and value for money as possible and the simple fact is that sales haven't improved since I've taken over and this year they are down. I even produced a 12 page prog for our first round county cup game and made it as informative about the competition as I could, I paid for it to be printed out of my own pocket as I decided that they were to be freebies. I couldn't even give them away!

The simple fact is the programme has been superseded by the smart phone. I don't believe it will be that long before it's a thing of the past.

Mishi
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 2, 2018, 6:49 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #161 of 165 (2376 views)
Shortcut

That was the general consensus on vinyl a few years ago...Wink

Grounds visited: 721
Last new ground: Kings Langley FC; CRY Community Stadium, Kings Langley, Hertfordshire. (Evo-Stik League South Premier Division)
Last game: Thursday 7th June 2018: Karpatalya 4, Szekely Land 2-at Carshalton Athletic FC. [CONIFA World Cup semi final]
Football matches watched this season: 142
2017/18-New English grounds: 11; & foreign: 8

(This post was edited by Mishi on Feb 2, 2018, 6:49 PM)

DaveH
Junior Team Star

Feb 3, 2018, 8:56 AM

Post #162 of 165 (2269 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Sticky for Southern League Physical Non Issuers 2017 - 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just a shame I threw out my Tight Fit records!! I still have them on 8-track though! 😜

Biscuitman
Reserve Team Star

Feb 7, 2018, 5:36 PM

Team(s): Reading, Fredrikstad, Rangers

Post #163 of 165 (1983 views)
Shortcut

I'd be interested to hear why some clubs at step 3/4 apparently feel that doing programmes are a big loss putting the club in danger, while several smaller clubs are doing fine issuing good programmes that are sometimes even included in the admission?

Personally I don't mind no programme at step 7 and below, but have to admit I do expect them above that...and certainly at step 3/4. A few weeks ago I visited one of the Southern League clubs who are now only doing an online version, which put off 3-4 of my groundhopping friends, and caused me to limit my spending and also not buying raffle tickets etc. Call it a little protest if you like, but why should I make an effort when they don't?

I was told by fans and official that this - and my friends' decision not to come - was just selfish. And here I was thinking these clubs were in a competitive business where the customers are in their full rights to stay away or go elsewhere if they as comsumers feel the product is becoming poorer? Also, they claimed they lost at least £50 a game on programmes, but how does that compare to the gate money and bar takings they're losing out on? As I said, I alone know 3 or 4 people who chose to stay away that day.

The day after, I went to Newton Abbot Spurs - three levels further down - who did a great 36 page programme included in the admission. Is it simply a matter of some clubs being better/luckier with sponsors?? Or is some of these clubs maybe paying their players too much if their economy is so poor?? I don't know, but it would be interesting to hear why some smaller clubs apparently are doing fine with it.
For me nothing beats sitting in the clubhouse having a look through the programme over a pint. It's just a part of the matchday experience, and an online version will never replace that. It's a sad day when clubs at step 3/4 aren't able to issue a programme anymore, but if the Southern and Isthmian League (I believe they're luckily still mandatory in the NPL) hadn't allowed this, would these clubs feel the need to step down to a lower level where programmes aren't mandatory??

Although I wouldn't boycott these clubs or stay away from a ground I need to visit because of this, it is at least a factor when I'm planning my trips and trying to decide where to go.

Anyway, this seems to be the list of non-issuers at step 3/4 so far:
Ashford Town (Mx)
Carshalton Athletic
Cinderford Town
Northwood
Shortwood United
Slimbridge
St. Ives Town
Uxbridge
Winchester City

Someone also told me there was only an online version at Fleet Town when he visited earlier this season.

Feel free to visit my blog (in norwegian mind you):
http://vikinghopper.blogg.no/

(This post was edited by Biscuitman on Feb 7, 2018, 5:58 PM)

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Feb 7, 2018, 5:55 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #164 of 165 (1976 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Biscuitman] Sticky for Southern League Physical Non Issuers 2017 - 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'd dispute the premise of your post that "some clubs at step 3/4 apparently feel that doing programmes are a big loss putting the club in danger". That aside, a look back through this thread answers many of your points.

I too enjoy a read of the prog in the clubhouse with a pre-match pint but am equally content playing around with my phone or tablet. You're absolutely right about consumer choice but, when weighed against the factors that are driving the move to paperless, a protest by anyone who'll never visit a ground more than once isn't going to make any difference.

DaveH
Junior Team Star

Feb 7, 2018, 7:11 PM

Post #165 of 165 (1956 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Sticky for Southern League Physical Non Issuers 2017 - 2018 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just to reiterate St Ives are producing a physical prog until the end of this season.

As PaulH66 has stated about earlier posts, I've already aired my views on this subject and don't feel there's any need to bring them up again.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3