Home: Non League Football Information: Shameless Plugs:
A REVIEW OF MORBO: THE HISTORY OF SPANISH FOOTBALL BY PHIL BALL

midfielder
Junior Team Regular

Jan 10, 2018, 2:46 PM

Team(s): Burgess Hill Town

Post #1 of 1 (1187 views)
Shortcut
A REVIEW OF MORBO: THE HISTORY OF SPANISH FOOTBALL BY PHIL BALL Can't Post or Reply Privately

Morbo is the 3rd national football history I've now read after deciding to improve my knowledge on how football got developed around the World outside the British Isles.

I started with the much acclaimed history of football's development in Germany, TOR! by Uli Hesse and followed it with Calcio: A history of Italian Football.

The searches on Spain kept coming back to Morbo as the one to read about the development of football in Spain.

Unlike Tor! and Calcio, Phil Ball's book is written around a concept; in this case, the phenomenon of the title, Morbo, a sort of deep and bitter rivalry between clubs and fans, driven by all the various aspects of society, politics, history, culture and especially the regionalism which is such a significant factor in Spanish life.

But after this introduction, as with Tor! and Calcio, Morbo, continues with the early days of football in the country back in the late 19th century how the game expanded across the country in all the major towns and cities spawning many of the teams well known today including giants Barcelona and Real Madrid but also teams like Athletico Madrid, Athletic Bilbao, Real Saragosa, Valenica, Seville, Real Betis, Celto Vigo, Deportivo La Coruna and Espanyol amongst many others.

Phil Ball adopts a regional approach to telling the story of football's development in Spain and then within that framework provides a chronological narrative about each club's formation and rise with the morbo surrounding each club and its rivals never far away.

The national team's history is also covered in the updated version of the book reflecting the successes of the side in major Championships in the early 2000's set in contrast to the disappointments experienced for decades before this.

The book is written using an anecdotal style and has a particularly interesting chapter on the nicknames of the major clubs and how these came about.

As always, any comments are most welcome and much appreciated either on the website or below this post;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co.uk/football/football-editorial/watch-pigs-head-corners-review-morbo-history-spanish-football-phil-ball/

Read my football and cricket memorabilia blog website linked to an Ebay Shop; http://www.goalsandwickets.co.uk/

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3