Dec 29, 2017, 10:35 PM

Team(s): Runcorn Linnets,Arsenal,Tranmere Rovers,Guernsey

Post #1 of 12 (2870 views)
Shortcut
Friday 29th December Can't Post or Reply Privately

RUNCORN LINNETS. 2. HANLEY TOWN 0
NWCFL PREMIER LEAGUE. ATTENDANCE 352
============================
Linnets completed their Xmas programme with 3 wins,9 points,11 goals scored and none conceded with a 5 point lead at the top.

4th placed Hanley proved tough opposition and it was not until well into the 2nd half that the Linnets superiority finally told on the resolute Hanley defence. Their keeper was outstanding throughout but finally conceded 2 excellent Freddie Potter strikes.

A competitive game played on a reasonable surface bearing in mind the recent poor weather.

HertsHopper
Junior Team Star

Dec 30, 2017, 12:43 AM

Team(s): Wherever I am

Post #2 of 12 (2710 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Linnetstowinit] Friday 29th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

HAVERHILL BOROUGH 3 - HAVERHILL ROVERS 2
EASTERN COUNTIES PREMIER
Add: £6, programme £1
Att: 463
Refreshments: cup-a-soup w/ buttered bap £1.50, hot choc £2.

Second Haverhill derby of the season and my first visit to The New Croft, in a London overspill area of south-west Suffolk within walking distance of Cambridgeshire and Essex.

Both teams are bottom half, with Rovers above Boro.
Easy parking outside the ground. Boro play on the 3G surface, while Rovers have the 'proper' pitch next door. Both clubs share toilet and refreshment facilities, and whilst in the line for food could see Rovers ground which seemed a standard step 5 with small standing shelter behind one goal and a seated stand along one side but tonight's activities took place on Boro's 3G where only 1/3rd of the ground is open - standing in the corners behind nearest goal, and along one side of the pitch with the only elevation being a four line small seated area and a bus shelter with a couple of concrete steps, so the 463 were pretty snug.

The Boro number 5 went in hard in the centre circle after half a minute and lay injured for almost five. He eventually got to his feet and straight away a ball over the top caused the other boro centre half and goalkeeper to comically run into each other allowing Rovers an open goal for 1-0. More home shenanigans on 20 mins saw number 2 go sliding in and it looked as if a rout was on the cards. But as the half wore on Boro grew in confidence and forced some last ditch defending from a couple of corners before half time to hint that we might have a competitve second period. H/T - 0-2.

Then, perhaps the best thing for the game happened as Boro get one back just a couple of minutes after the restart for 1-2. It was hard to tell who had more supporters as most watchers seemed pretty neutral. Both sides looked suspect in defence and a few feisty challenges were going in. Then a bizarre incident on the hour as Rovers had the ball in the net for what they thought was 1-3, but the lino clearly had his flag up for a correct offside some seconds before the ball went in the net. The referee decided to please himself and award the goal anyway, cue much indignation from the Boro players. Rovers players were back in place for the restart when the ref decides to have a very brief word with his lino, then reverses his decision and gives the offside!
More tasty challenges were going in but the ref mostly kept his cards away.

On 90 minutes, Charlie Holmes equalises with a fierce shot and then in the last minutes of injury time, Ashley Botten rifles in the winner for a remarkable 3-2 comeback.

One of the best games i've seen this season and I'll be looking to go next season for the reverse fixture on the grass. Although it was feisty, neither side were over the top and Rovers took their defeat with grace.

(This post was edited by HertsHopper on Dec 30, 2017, 12:47 AM)

LeedsPhil
First Team Star

Dec 30, 2017, 1:26 AM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #3 of 12 (2675 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HertsHopper] Friday 29th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Montrose Roselea 1-2 Maud
Scottish Juniors North, Superleague
played at Montrose FC's Links Park (plastic)

h/c 80
£5 in. £1 prog. £1 raffle. Pie & a cuppa - free.

-5 with snow and ice cover when I left work in the interior. +11 at the seaside at KO ! No snow whatsoever in the town.

Roselea switched from the East region to the North region, and here they were again being innovative - switching from their own ground on a Saturday afternoon to the town's SPFL stadium on a Friday night as an experiment to see whether that might draw a few extra through the turnstile. I dunno how 80 compares to their usual attendance, but there were at least two of us present who wouldn't have otherwise been there - me chasing this must-do bracketed tick against my better judgement - I should've been in my sick bed, and a pal who I dragged along, thereby providing me with a chauffeuring service - the 8pm KO would have meant a train back too late for the onward train home, so I would have been into Night Bus territory.

The deep main stand provided protection from the rain. The covered terrace behind the entrance-end goal is characterfully old school. The plastic surface was renewed not that long ago - a fine improvement on its carpet-like predecessor.

No public tea bar open though. But meandering into the inside of the stand at HT we followed the blazers, thereby gatecrashing the boardroom and helping ourselves to a free pie and a cuppa in a proper cup and saucer.

On the pitch, an unfortunate Maud defender turned a cross into his own net, so it was a relief when his pals put two in at the correct end in the second half.

Still too full of flu for any pre- or post-match imbibing, despite my designated driver offering to break the homeward journey at Stonehaven. Dear oh dear - turning down the Marine Hotel, I must indeed be ill.

Workington FC
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 30, 2017, 6:19 AM

Team(s): Workington Reds, St Ives Roosters RLFC

Post #4 of 12 (2603 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LeedsPhil] Friday 29th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Millwall v QPR
The Championship
Programme £3

Well I cocked up here. It was a last minute decision between here and Haverhill. I picked the wrong one and exoected to stroll up and pay on the day. How wrong was I. Completely sold out.

Millwall, more than ever, are the cult club to visit for European football supporters. I don't know how this would have gone down at the Old Den? I've never heard as many foreign voices at a football match ever. It was unbelievable. Anyhow there was no animosity or trouble just the opportunity for touts to make a killing. They were selling tickets for £50 - 100 to Europeans and £40 for locals. I did see one selling kids tickets to foreign adults too after paying £10 for them.

There was no way I was going to pay £50 - 60 for a ticket with no guarantee of getting so it was back to Kings Cross for a burrito instead.

RobWaite
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 30, 2017, 9:49 AM

Team(s): Here, there, everywhere

Post #5 of 12 (2424 views)
Shortcut
Re: Friday 29th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Friday 29th December 2017
SkyBet EFL League 2
at the Keepmoat Stadium
Doncaster Rovers (2) 2
Ben Whiteman 4, Alfie May 27
Rochdale (0) 0
Admission £10. Programme £3
Attendance 7,997 (inc. 364 away)

A typical example of how a club struggling in the relegation zone gets no luck at all... apart from bad luck.
Rovers have a car park named after the Comedian Charlie Williams who used to play for them (and Skegness town) mi' owd flower!

WITH A ROCKSTEADY BEAT
https://the66pow.blogspot.com

(This post was edited by RobWaite on Dec 30, 2017, 9:55 AM)

Digdagdog
First Team Sub

Dec 30, 2017, 2:19 PM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #6 of 12 (2247 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RobWaite] Friday 29th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Toolstation Western Division One
AJN Stadium
Keynsham Town 5 Bishop Sutton 2
Admission: £6 inc programme Attendance: 184

Curiously I went to the same fixture last year which was also on a Friday night - seems a popular option for this game against reasonably local rivals.
Last year a fairly poor BS were well beaten 3-0, even though the score was worse this year the margin of victory was actually quite slim and depended upon 3 moments of defensive madness in an otherwise impressive BS.
I always find a visit here to be slightly under-whelming - its a nice stadium but a quiet crowd and KT tend to be something like the football equivalent of cricket's flat-track-bully as they steam roller sides over. A little harsh perhaps - they have been on the cusp of promotion for the last 3 years and have blown it on the final straight - they can play good stuff when they want but they take advantage of the 3G surface.
They led on 19 with a deflected shot but couldn't build on it and suffered a well taken equaliser on 44 which was more than deserved for BS. HT 1-1.
Second half, BS missed two golden chances to take the lead and then they kind of lost the plot. They fell behind on 64 to a poor defensive move. They the chased the game and repeated the errors of the 2nd goals twice in the next 20 minutes, conceding in similar circumstances on 75 and 82. Heads didn't go down and whilst they conceded once again on 90, they scored the goal of the game on 90+2 with a beauty into the top corner from the edge of the area.
As part of the ticket initiative, well broadcast on here, I spotted Old Glove and would have had a word but he was busy chatting all evening, in particular Laurence Reade was in attendance with clipboard and pen. A good night all round and a decent crowd. Only downer was getting stuck in traffic in Bath as the egg-chasers game against Wasps turfed out at the same time.

2017-18 Games: 171 Goals: 745 GPG: 4.36 New Grounds: 114
2018-19 Games: 5 Goals: 32 GPG: 6.40 New Grounds: 3

leohoenig
Administrator

Dec 30, 2017, 3:54 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #7 of 12 (2201 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Friday 29th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Toolstation Western Division One
AJN Stadium
Keynsham Town 5 Bishop Sutton 2
Admission: £6 inc programme Attendance: 184

Curiously I went to the same fixture last year which was also on a Friday night - seems a popular option for this game against reasonably local rivals.
Last year a fairly poor BS were well beaten 3-0, even though the score was worse this year the margin of victory was actually quite slim and depended upon 3 moments of defensive madness in an otherwise impressive BS.

As part of the ticket initiative, well broadcast on here, I spotted Old Glove and would have had a word but he was busy chatting all evening, in particular Laurence Reade was in attendance with clipboard and pen. A good night all round and a decent crowd. Only downer was getting stuck in traffic in Bath as the egg-chasers game against Wasps turfed out at the same time.

Was there any evidence of attendance being boosted by those taking advantage of the offer, after all, Mr Reade did not qualify

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Digdagdog
First Team Sub

Dec 31, 2017, 12:57 AM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #8 of 12 (1793 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Friday 29th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Was there any evidence of attendance being boosted by those taking advantage of the offer, after all, Mr Reade did not qualify

Last season's fixture produced a gate of 154; this is mid Xmas whereas last year's was mid-Feb. They were offering season ticket visitors a free mince pie at the gate (according to Twitter) and a bloke in front of me qualified for one. In short, there my have been a minor bounce

2017-18 Games: 171 Goals: 745 GPG: 4.36 New Grounds: 114
2018-19 Games: 5 Goals: 32 GPG: 6.40 New Grounds: 3

Nobody's Heroes
Youth Team Sub

Dec 31, 2017, 7:33 AM

Team(s): Sheffield United, CPD Porthmadog, Ross County

Post #9 of 12 (1735 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Linnetstowinit] Friday 29th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
RUNCORN LINNETS. 2. HANLEY TOWN 0
NWCFL PREMIER LEAGUE. ATTENDANCE 352
============================
Linnets completed their Xmas programme with 3 wins,9 points,11 goals scored and none conceded with a 5 point lead at the top.

4th placed Hanley proved tough opposition and it was not until well into the 2nd half that the Linnets superiority finally told on the resolute Hanley defence. Their keeper was outstanding throughout but finally conceded 2 excellent Freddie Potter strikes.

A competitive game played on a reasonable surface bearing in mind the recent poor weather.

Also at Millbank for this fixture and was mightily impressed with the Linnets set up. A very smart new clubhouse and well enclosed ground.

A decent game on a freezing evening against a physical Hanley Town side. Linnets eventually gaining the upper hand thanks to a second half brace from crowd favourite Freddie Potter.

Also, excellent twitter communication from the club confirming that the game was 'on' as I was travelling up from North Wales.

leominster
First Team Star

Dec 31, 2017, 5:59 PM

Team(s): Cardiff City, KV Kortrijk, BFC Dynamo

Post #10 of 12 (1529 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Nobody's Heroes] Friday 29th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cardiff City 0 Preston North End 1
Championship
Admission : Season ticket, programme £3
Attendance : 17,751

An awful, turgid game. The teams cancelled each other out. That Preston scrambled a late, scruffy winner was a travesty simply because neither side deserved to take a point from this game, let alone all three.

The pre-match faggots, peas and gravy were the highlight of the evening by a long way.

The Wall
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 31, 2017, 10:54 PM

Post #11 of 12 (1396 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Workington FC] Friday 29th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

MILLWALL 1
QPR. 0

You missed an excellent game as I nearly did, as had no intention of buying an advance ticket until as luck had it, my Palace mate who obtained tickets for myself and Grandson for Man City asked if I could get him a ticket for QPR, so a week prior drove over to purchase.

The Game itself was fast competitive and what I call a typical Millwall performance just like the old days. Only attend non Saturday Games now days, but assured by regulars that all recent Games have been played at a fast pace, closing down the oppo’s, pushing hard and running non stop throughout. Perhaps the reason for the sell out !

A well deserved victory, Cardiff City the next Friday night Visitors, think I may just get an advance ticket !

In Reply To

totallyuntamed
First Team Regular

Jan 1, 2018, 11:51 AM

Team(s): Coventry City

Post #12 of 12 (1169 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Wall] Friday 29th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Scottish Championship St Mirren 2 Dundee United 0 Admission £10 (concession) Attendance 6214 Programme £3 (standard stuff) Cheese and Bean Pie (£2.60) delicious. Tea £2.20

This match had been switched to Friday night for TV transmission after I had booked my trip so it was a welcome bonus and gave me the opportunity to do three games. St Mirren Park is right next to Paisley St James railway station which is less than 20 minutes from Glasgow Central. The stadium features four very similar stands, all single tier with all the seats in the club colours of black and white with a few in grey in the stand opposite the Main Stand (where we were sat) helping to pick out SMFC. The TV gantry is at the back of that stand and there are substantial gaps between the stands in the 8081 capacity stadium. Dundee United were allocated the whole of one end which they very nearly filled. This was a much better game than Wednesday's played at a cracking pace with the missing of a penalty by Dundee United in the first half eventually proving crucial. They got more and more on top as the game approached half time but were unable to translate this superiority into goals. St Mirren came out after half time, upped their game and Lewis Morgan scored two goals of the highest quality which was enough to give them victory. Sadly he is shortly to join Celtic. Interestingly despite the filthy weather none of the players wore gloves, nor was there any exaggerated reaction to fouls and the whole effect was very "Rob Roy of the Rovers". A most enjoyable game and imho both teams would grace the top flight. Strangely though the Herald reporter did not share my opinion and claimed the game failed to ignite. I beg to differ.

"There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Milletts".

(This post was edited by totallyuntamed on Jan 1, 2018, 12:00 PM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3