Standing/terracing at the 92 league grounds

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 31, 2018, 3:17 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #26 of 47 (7396 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Standing/terracing at the 92 league grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Think I read somewhere that German "safe standing" is on a ratio of 3 standing spectators for every 2 seats. So every spectator still gets their designated area, but there are just slightly more of them.

That would work in England but would probably require lines to be painted so that. (1) each spectator could visibly see their allocated space and (2) it keep H&S bods happy.

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 31, 2018, 6:30 PM

Post #27 of 47 (7366 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Standing/terracing at the 92 league grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Think I read somewhere that German "safe standing" is on a ratio of 3 standing spectators for every 2 seats.

The capacity at Borussia Dortmund is ~81k for domestic games where safe standing is in place. For UEFA all-seater matches the capacity is ~65k.

KnowYourMarket
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 1, 2018, 8:23 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #28 of 47 (7274 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Standing/terracing at the 92 league grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

When Shrewsbury did a demonstration of their rail seats the person had an allen key and locked the seat down. I understood them to be like German rail seats but are they different?

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

leohoenig
Administrator

Jun 1, 2018, 10:29 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #29 of 47 (7251 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Standing/terracing at the 92 league grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have seen rail seats in Germany that can be locked into either position.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 3, 2018, 4:36 PM

Post #30 of 47 (7141 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Standing/terracing at the 92 league grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Is there a link to the Shrewsbury demo ?

The seats at Shrewsbury are from Ferco (who also did Celtic Park). The blurb and promotional video on the company's website makes no mention of any locking down in the seating position.

scottywalds
First Team Star

Jun 3, 2018, 6:16 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #31 of 47 (7122 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Standing/terracing at the 92 league grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I would expect that locking down to a seating position is a health and safety issue? Harder to evcuate if you are having to shuffle out of the seating sections, rather than just walking.

KnowYourMarket
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 4, 2018, 8:40 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #32 of 47 (7042 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottywalds] Standing/terracing at the 92 league grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I presume there would be plenty of space if they can be locked down. Mick - no link but I'm sure it was on Midlands Today.

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

ictoan
First Team Regular

Jun 4, 2018, 2:16 PM

Team(s):

Post #33 of 47 (6962 views)
Shortcut

Won't it depend on the space between the front of the seat and the back of the seat in front. For example the Amex at Brighton has plenty of leg room for a seated fan whereas in some stadia you sit with your knees under your chin. (Slight exaggeration but I am sure you know what I mean).

There 'Ant no place like Sussex, until you goes above, 'Cause Sussex will be Sussex and Sussex wunt be druv.

The North begins at Gatwick.

FulhamDave
Youth Team Regular

Jun 4, 2018, 11:00 PM

Team(s): Fulham, Staines Town

Post #34 of 47 (6881 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ictoan] Standing/terracing at the 92 league grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
in some stadia you sit with your knees under your chin. (Slight exaggeration but I am sure you know what I mean).

No exaggeration at some grounds - QPR and Brentford to name 2 local-ish ones where anyone over about 5ft 10 cannot sit down properly. Certainly this is the case in the away sections (plus the Loft End at QPR), assume similar for the remainder of the grounds.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 4, 2018, 11:15 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #35 of 47 (6871 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FulhamDave] Standing/terracing at the 92 league grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
in some stadia you sit with your knees under your chin. (Slight exaggeration but I am sure you know what I mean).

No exaggeration at some grounds - QPR and Brentford to name 2 local-ish ones where anyone over about 5ft 10 cannot sit down properly. Certainly this is the case in the away sections (plus the Loft End at QPR), assume similar for the remainder of the grounds.

With a restricted view at QPR in many seats for visiting fans which used to be advertised on match tickets but at the same price!

Fanatic
First Team Star

Jun 5, 2018, 12:48 PM

Team(s):

Post #36 of 47 (6784 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FulhamDave] Standing/terracing at the 92 league grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

The away end at Brammall Lane is probably the worst I've experienced.

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 5, 2018, 7:20 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #37 of 47 (6713 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] Standing/terracing at the 92 league grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Darlington Arena was horrendous (for many reasons!). 27,000 seats crammed into a ground that would more comfortably hold around 18,000. I went there once, and spent the whole game with my knees seemingly under my chin, and squashed up against the people either side of me.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 5, 2018, 7:22 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #38 of 47 (6712 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] Standing/terracing at the 92 league grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

From the BBC website...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44362522

...a couple of videos with Richard Conway, explaining about safe standing at Shrewsbury and at Celtic.

IAN S
First Team Star

Jun 6, 2018, 6:18 PM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #39 of 47 (6594 views)
Shortcut

The Kop at Bramall Lane is even worse.

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

northstandexile
First Team Regular

Jun 8, 2018, 12:41 PM

Team(s): Mansfield Town

Post #40 of 47 (6499 views)
Shortcut
Re: [IAN S] Standing/terracing at the 92 league grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The away end at Luton, takes some beating

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 21, 2018, 6:55 PM

Post #41 of 47 (6342 views)
Shortcut
Re: [northstandexile] Standing/terracing at the 92 league grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not specifically about terracing or standing, but I liked this piece...

https://www.bbc.com/...n-a-stadium/p06bg8xf

...about incorporating crowd atmosphere into modern stadium design (something that the designers of the Kassam Stadium obviously paid no attention to at all Crazy).

I know Everton are very enthusiastic about this sort of thing with the design for their new ground.

leohoenig
Administrator

Jun 26, 2018, 10:26 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #42 of 47 (6167 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Standing/terracing at the 92 league grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Minister agrees to a review

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44606399

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 21, 2018, 4:15 AM

Post #43 of 47 (5916 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Standing/terracing at the 92 league grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Updated for the 2018~19 season...

Championship~
Brentford - Griffin Park

League One~
Burton Albion - Pirelli Stadium
Scunthorpe United - Glanford Park
Peterborough United - London Road
Bristol Rovers - Memorial Ground
AFC Wimbledon - Kingsmeadow
Fleetwood Town - Highbury
Rochdale - Spotland
Shrewsbury Town - New Meadow
Accrington Stanley - Crown Ground
Wycombe Wanderers - Adams Park

League Two~
Exeter City - St.James Park
Newport County - Rodney Parade
Cambridge United - Abbey Stadium
Carlisle United - Brunton Park
Cheltenham Town - Whaddon Road
Stevenage - Broadhall Way
Crawley Town - Broadfield Stadium
Morecambe - Globe Arena
Yeovil Town - Huish Park
Forest Green Rovers - The New Lawn
Macclesfield Town - Moss Rose

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 29, 2018, 8:39 PM

Post #44 of 47 (5718 views)
Shortcut

Tottenham Hotspur's new ground will be fitted with 7,500 seats that can be converted to safe-standing within an hour...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/...in-an-hour-vc5hfpmsl

I'm not sure on what occasions they'll be allowed to use them in the near future (presumably not Premier League matches), but it is good to see that 2,500 of them will be in the section reserved for away fans.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 6, 2018, 11:48 PM

Post #45 of 47 (5558 views)
Shortcut

My apologies for including a link to 'The Sun'...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/...sbury-safe-standing/

...but from what I can see (with the exception of the Shropshire Star) they seem to be the only newspaper to have reported online about the use of safe-standing at the Shrewsbury Town v. Bradford City match on Saturday. They have also included several decent photos of the section in use during the match by Shrews' fans.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 10, 2018, 8:49 PM

Post #46 of 47 (5385 views)
Shortcut

Not exactly, safe-standing in the way that it's being done at Celtic and Shrewsbury, but a story in today's Oxford Mail...

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/...ch-at-oxford-united/

...says that a metal rail has been installed infront of the back row of seats the width of the East Stand at Oxford United's Kassam Stadium. They're calling it the Ox-Rail, and if it is successful the plan is to install rails infront of 1,390 seats in the East Stand, and infront of a further 810 seats in the away section of the North Stand.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 1, 2019, 2:45 AM

Post #47 of 47 (388 views)
Shortcut

Updated for the 2019~20 season...

Championship~
Brentford - Griffin Park

League One~
Burton Albion - Pirelli Stadium
Peterborough United - London Road
Bristol Rovers - Memorial Ground
AFC Wimbledon - Kingsmeadow
Fleetwood Town - Highbury
Rochdale - Spotland
Shrewsbury Town - New Meadow
Accrington Stanley - Crown Ground