Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #1 of 10 (3331 views)
Shortcut
Sunday 17th December 2017 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Chippenham & District Sunday League Division 2
Beversbrook Sports Facility Pitch #10
North Star Club 6 Foresters Arms 1
F&N Attendance: 6 (inc 2 WAG's)

A Calne v Melksham clash in the severely cold and bleak surroundings at Beversbrook. Even though the place is a little soulless, the pitches are always good here and was the same today.
This started as a very uneven contest as NS raced into a 5-0 lead at HT with FA offering...err...FA! North Star hit the woodwork 6 times and Forester's goalie played as well as he did the last time I saw him - he is quality.
North Star is a WMC near Calne's ground and they have at least 2 or 3 ex-Bremhill View players from last season and were worth their lead.
FA kept plugging away and scored mid way through the 2nd half only to be pegged back again.
By the time the ref blew for FT (which I thought was 5 minutes early) the drizzle was constant and the cold had numbed me and the players. This was a good contest, cleanly fought and in good spirit. There was a Division 1 game on the adjacent Pitch #11 and that finished 19-1 for Cavalier FC v White Hart.
This was going to be leg one of a double but I was so cold after this, I went home to have some food and warm up; as it was still raining after I'd eaten, I chickened out and chose the warmth of the house although once my wife cottoned on I wasn't going out again, I got given a list of tasks...

2017-18 Games: 171 Goals: 745 GPG: 4.36 New Grounds: 114
2018-19 Games: 5 Goals: 32 GPG: 6.40 New Grounds: 3

(This post was edited by Digdagdog on Dec 17, 2017, 3:56 PM)

codofthenorth
First Team Sub

Dec 17, 2017, 8:04 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 10 (3065 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Sunday 17th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Darlington P-P Salford....National League North
With a pitch inspection at 8.30am and the forecast for rain I was a bit wary of this surviving... the inspection was described as precautionary, so I set off about 0745 from Fleetwood. I intended pulling into the services just North of Lancaster to await the result of the inspection....but just before J34 at Lancaster, Salford tweeted Game Off. Mission aborted and I swung the bows of the car round to a South Sou'Westerley direction and headed home, via breakfast in Ikea. I did toy for a good while with the Fleetwood v Peterborough fixture, but Twenty's Plenty...and I listened to it on the radio instead.

So Many Grounds....So little time!!

mxhornet
First Team Sub

Dec 17, 2017, 8:42 PM

Team(s): Watford, Celtic, Ajax, Kings Lynn Town and all local ladies teams.

Post #3 of 10 (2981 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Digdagdog] Sunday 17th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Kirkley & Pakefield Ladies - 1 Freethorpe Ladies - 3
Walmer Road 3G
Norfolk Women's & Girls Football League Division Two
Attendance - 9 (headcount)
No admission charged or programme issued

Glad to get a game in today, it wasn't looking too hopeful with other matches on 3G falling victim to the weather. By the time I saw that this was definitely on I knew it be a bit tight getting there so was pleased to see it was a 2-15 kick off rather than the normal 2pm. This I found was due to another game starting at 12-30 as it was I arrived more than early enough around 30 minutes before the eventual start at 2-22.

The visitors scored the only goal of the first half midway through with a long range effort that the keeper had no chance of stopping. They pulled further ahead with a penalty early in the second half K & P got a goal back not long after but Freethorpe scored a third with 15 minutes remaining to seal a well deserved win.

Watford FC supporter hence the name also follow Hull FC but rarely get to see either these days.

Have now visited over 700 grounds, progress in recent years has been rather slow and will continue to be as things stand.

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Dec 18, 2017, 7:48 AM

Post #4 of 10 (2465 views)
Shortcut
Re: [codofthenorth] Sunday 17th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

...An impulsive trip to Darlington was seriously considered for two hours on Saturday morning between the discovery of the hastily rearranged fixture and the wise counsel of Mr Druryszki insisting that as we are booked on the D & R Supporters Club coach. Plan A was to be rigorously applied hence a long long trip to...

Hereford 3 v 2 Dagenham & Redbridge - FA Trophy - 1st Round
Prog 48 pages £2.00 - Admission £11.00 - Att 1518

....And in view of the pp in the North East, Mr D's decision was fully justified.

First visit to Edgar Street since December 1997 and from first impression very little has changed with it being like Bootham Crescent one of he few remaining largely unmodernised pickled in aspic venues.One end does not have a safety certificate but the space was utilised last week for the dumping of the accumulated 12 cm of snow which fell on the ground before their FA Cup replay with Fleetwood. One noticeable change especially noted by Mr D was the help and assistance from the HUST volunteers. One of those cases that you are prepared to go the extra mile if you have a stake in the running of the enterprise.

Decent view obtained in the elevated Merton Stand obtained for a contest which provided us with the 2nd minor Trophy upset of the weekend, in a contest which was good without ever being truly remarkable. Surprisingly, it was Hereford who applied the changes to the team rather than D & R with the likes of Mills, Ryan Green & John Purdie being on the bench (the latter two both taking part in the 9-0 Hereford win against D & R in 2004, that we both saw and very quiet reference was made to on the outward coach journey). For D & R the team put out was virtually what would have started a league contest.

The hosts of course are a very good Level 3 team and won this contest largely through sheer unrelenting determination against a D & R team that spasmodically showed disinterest in proceedings and the other crucial factor was that the hosts knew where the back of the net was. After a couple of half chances from Whiteley and Ferrier for the visitors had travelled the wrong side of the post, the D & R net bulged courtesy of a perfectly struck 30 yarder from Murphy beat Cousins in the visitors goal for sheer pace and just inside the far post. The lead was then swiftly doubled with the visiting defence dithering in possession far too close to their own goal and when possession was lost Smith angled in past Cousins from just inside the penalty area. An entertaining first period was concluded by D & R pulling a goal back as Cheek's angled drive from the far region of the penalty area which from our angle was travelling wide of the far post struck the retreating Deaman and found it's way over the line.

Either side of half time saw plenty of D & R possession but a failure to convert the half chances that need to be taken to win matches. Cheek volleyed a good opportunity over the bar from close range. However, they were denied when Whiteley's drive took a massive deflection off of Preston and Harris had to travel a distance to push the ball around the near post. Parity was deservedly established when Sparkes positive run and cross bounced off of Harris into the path of Cheek whose instant return found the net.

A clearly congested Hereford itinerary for the next few weeks looked like increasing by a Tuesday Trophy replay. However, help was at hand to ensure that the replay was not going to feature as the normally reliable Scott Doe completely unnecessarily tripped Haysham after the latter had lost possession and the ball was travelling in the direction of the by line for a goal kick. With the regular penalty taker John Mills still bench warming there was anticipation as to how Symons would fare. Concerns misplaced as the resultant penalty was beyond the reaches of Cousins who did correctly dive to his right. In he final minutes D & R prodded around for a leveller but although well struck drives from Sparkes and then Bloomfield were in the right direction, the former was kept out by Harris' legs and the latter was merely catching practice for the Hereford keeper. General consensus from those travelling back was that the D & R display was limp and on the basis of that Hereford's berth in the 2nd Round draw was fully deserved.

Appreciate that travelling to Hereford on a Sunday by train is a long, ponderous and expensive journey. However, the coach trip was long and ponderous but at £27.00 return reasonably priced. Arrived at 13.50 (after setting off at 08.45 promptly) and it was a bit of a mad rush around the city centre to visit a couple of hostelries where there is a proliferation of the OKish Wye Valley Batty Bach (Mr D was left to his own devices in his ticking of his favourite Coffee chain in the city centre). The return journey was equally ponderous with delays around Gloucester and also much nearer home on the A12 Eastern Avenue, The delays meant return to Dagenham was 22.20 when the Sunday evening C2C service is winding down leading to return to the abode was a couple of minutes before the end of Sunday and the thoughts being that even if it is more expensive, train travel is infinitely preferable to coach.....

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 18, 2017, 7:54 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #5 of 10 (2456 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Sunday 17th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SPFL Premiership
Hearts v Celtic, 4-0, H.T. 2-0, Att 18,555, Admission £28, Programme £3.50, No food purchased
At Tynecastle Park, Edinburgh

When you watch so much mundane football it is always pleasing to be present when a little bit of history is made. Celtic’s 69-game unbeaten run in domestic matches was ended in spectacular fashion at Tynecastle and I suspect it is a record which may never be beaten.

In recent weeks Celtic have looked shaky. Their Championship League batterings may have taken their toll but they have been drawing on their last reserves to keep the run going. Those reserves ran out at Tynecastle as they were hammered by an inexperienced Hearts side.

16-year-old Harry Cochrane got the home fans off their seats in the 26th minute with a brilliant finish and Kyle Lafferty added a second off the inside of the post five minutes later. 2-0 at half time, the sages in the stands thought that Celtic would come out fighting and make amends for a poor first half showing. Well, going forward Celtic looked decent with Sinclair and Forrest causing problems every time they got the ball. However, the Celtic defence looked very shaky and the Glasgow side’s hopes took a fatal dive in the 48th minute when defensive slackness allowed Milinkovic in to score a third.

Defeat was turned into rout when Celtic keeper Craig Gordon gave away a needless penalty and Milinkovic made it 4-0. BY that time Hearts had added another 16-year old to their line-up, bringing on young Anthony McDonald for only his second first team game.

The Hearts fans were in raptures by this stage. Celtic are secondly only to Hibs on their disliked teams list and this result had been a long time coming. It’s their best win over Celtic since Victorian times and provided small compensation for some drubbings handed out over the years. The vast majority of the Celtic fans stayed until the end and afforded their team a thunderous reception in recognition of their achievement but they realised they had been well beaten on the day. No dodgy refereeing, no soft penalties, no disallowed goals – just gubbed, plain and simple.

I had intended to maintain my “paperless” resolution but somebody asked me to get them a programme. They’ll probably not be chuffed when they get it, creased and beer-stained, but I’m damned if I’m carrying a bag to the football just to protect some paper! Had a quick, read of the programme in the pub afterwards and it was pretty good.

Mind you, I nearly didn’t see the game at all. A mate texted me on Saturday night to see what pub we were meeting in and when. I suggested the Guildford Arms at 12. He replied that the trams were good but not supersonic. I was labouring under the misapprehension that it was a 2.30 kick off when it was in fact 12.30. Re-arranged for 11am in the Haymarket. Following an excellent Full Scottish in the greasy spoon next door, I was queued up waiting for the pub to open with a crowd of thirsty Celtic fans. At 11 someone stuck their head out and said they weren’t opening until 12 on Police advice. Thankfully, Ryrie’s across the road avoided such advice and a couple of swift pints of Pentland IPA from the Stewart Brewery were taken. Returned there after the game, supposedly for a match de-brief over a quick pint. Six pints later I made it on to the 5pm train back to Fife. Another Grand Day Out, as they say.

Workington FC
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 18, 2017, 11:04 AM

Team(s): Workington Reds, St Ives Roosters RLFC

Post #6 of 10 (2284 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Sunday 17th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

League 1
Fleetwood Town 2 Peterborough United 3
Admission £23.00
Programme £1
Attendance 2,273

I was also planning to attend the Hearts v Celtic game but it transpired that I had booking history that made me eligible to buy a ticket but then Hearts decided it was the "wrong" type of history. My history was too old by one year - Bastards.

Anyhow Fleetwood offered an alternative but not as exciting as watching Celtic getting turned over. Despite the scoreline this was hard going. Mainly due to the antics of the Posh. As they are one of my local teams in Cambridgeshire I hear alot of the interviews with their morose Manager Gramt McCann and his undoubted arrogance. He felt they should have easily beaten Woking 10-2 in their recent FA Cup reply which sums him up as a bit of a tube.

Anyhow the Posh provided diving, screaming (high pitched), referee intimidation, attempts to get Fleetwood players cautioned and cynical trips. They were horrible. Chief play actor is the vertical challenged Danny Lloyd. Such a luvvie he should be lined up for a BAFTA.

Fleetwood should have won this game but they defended poorly and paid the price.

I think £23 is far to expensive for this level of football. The facilities are good at Fleetwood but still do not justify the price. They are persisting with their £1 programme. It could be so much better but they waste so much space on rubbish and adverts.

The old Grandstand is still in place at Highbury. I wonder how long it will stay there?

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 18, 2017, 2:43 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #7 of 10 (2080 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Workington FC] Sunday 17th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Despite the scoreline this was hard going. Mainly due to the antics of the Posh. As they are one of my local teams in Cambridgeshire I hear alot of the interviews with their morose Manager Gramt McCann and his undoubted arrogance. He felt they should have easily beaten Woking 10-2 in their recent FA Cup reply which sums him up as a bit of a tube.

Anyhow the Posh provided diving, screaming (high pitched), referee intimidation, attempts to get Fleetwood players cautioned and cynical trips. They were horrible. Chief play actor is the vertical challenged Danny Lloyd. Such a luvvie he should be lined up for a BAFTA.

I was at the Posh v Woking game and I have to agree with the morose Mr McCann that they should have won 10-2. While often morose I have never found him arrogant. And that must have been some performance by Danny Lloyd to get the nod for the best play-acting award given that he was in the same team as Marcus Maddison. He even gets heckled by his own team's spectators for it.

Chris1963

Dec 18, 2017, 10:29 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #8 of 10 (1753 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Sunday 17th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Spain, La Liga (12 noon)

Girona FC 1 Getafe CF 0 (H/T 1-0)

Entry - I paid 60 euros for the main stand (far side is 50 euros)

Programme - Free glossy colour fold-out issue (similar to Reus but slightly smaller and less informative)

Crowd - 10,095

After spending Saturday night in Barcelona, I travelled on the 08.46 train from the Barcelona Sants train station to Girona. There are both fast and slow trains going there, with prices varying according to train and I used the cheapest trains both before and after the game. My train arrived at time and I reached the ground (almost exactly 30 minutes walk from the station) with just over an hour to spare before the kick-off. The ticket office is in the north-west corner as you approach the ground and I had no problems in buying a ticket although the prices were not cheap.

The stadium (Estadi Montilivi) was built in 1970, or at least that is the year engraved into a concrete wall between the lower and upper tiers of the main stand. Despite being a cantilever, this structure is showing its age somewhat and if the club wish to maintain their progress, they should consider rebuilding it or moving to a new stadium. The other three sides consist of a single tier of uncovered seating on concrete (which looks less old than the main stand) with temporary stands at the back of the north and east stands. I expect these may be recent additions to boost the capacity to its current level of around 13,500 and the temporary stand on the east side is partially covered by a canvas roof. There were exactly two fans following the visitors in the area reserved for them. With no running track around the pitch, the stadium is a bit like a larger and older version of Reus, particularly with regard to the way the main stand is designed, with upper and lower tiers of similar size although with an asbestos roof.

Having seen a goalless draw the previous day, I was anxious that there should be no repeat and I did not have to wait longer than five minutes to see a goal. It came from open play, a downwards header in the goal area from a short cross/centre. Getafe's attitude was disappointing and six of their players were booked. The home side's victory was greeted with rapture by the whole stadium at the final whistle, as if the club had just won a major trophy.

The flight home was with Easyjet from Barcelona to Luton and it was delayed by over three hours. I did not get home until 3.40 am which is the worst ever delay I have experienced when flying anywhere in Europe. I understand that 250 euros compensation is payable under EU guidelines for such delays if it is the airline's fault, so I have completed the on-line form and will wait to see if I am successful. Regardless of whether or not I get the money, surely the existence of such a rule is a good argument for the UK staying in the EU?

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Dec 18, 2017, 10:31 PM)

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 18, 2017, 11:08 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #9 of 10 (1698 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Sunday 17th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not a good reason Chris! At least you flew with EJ who would have paid cabin crew etc for the 3 hour delay unlike Ryanair. The 3 page report in the DM today was nothing short of scandalous.

Apologies for bringing this into the WDYG thread when it is being discussed elsewhere but the question was asked!

Chris1963

Dec 19, 2017, 3:37 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #10 of 10 (1342 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Sunday 17th December 2017 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Not a good reason Chris! At least you flew with EJ who would have paid cabin crew etc for the 3 hour delay unlike Ryanair. The 3 page report in the DM today was nothing short of scandalous.

Apologies for bringing this into the WDYG thread when it is being discussed elsewhere but the question was asked!

It may be true that Ryanair treat their staff badly, but that is a separate issue which has nothing to do with the EU. I can only presume that when you ever have a 3 hour delay when you fly to or from Germany or any other country you visit, you won't be claiming compensation as you don't agree with EU rules.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3