Saturday 16th December

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

AV1960
Youth Team Sub

Dec 17, 2017, 11:46 AM

Team(s):

Post #51 of 71 (4439 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Saturday 16th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

St Helens Town (1) 2 Carlisle City (0) 3
North West Counties League Div One
Admission £3 (Codger rate) Programme £2 (excellent)
Attendance: Per web site 105, head count nearer 80.
Finally forced into playing the St Helens 3G card today. Described on here many times before but any thoughts of this being a rather soulless new build were very much subservient to delight at being guaranteed a new ground 'tick' on another day of multiple postponements.
One addition to the ground which appeared to be very new are ten heritage boards attached to the boundary fence. These are titled "The Road to Wembley" and tell the story of St Helens FA Vase success in 1987. An excellent way of adding some character to the ground and they made for fascinating reading.
The programme also contained some real nuggets, particularly the "Town Archive" page which was a reprint of an article from the programme for the last game at Hoghton Road in 2000. Penned by one of the current Vice Presidents, this outlines the experience of attending a game in the 1950s and is really evocative stuff. The cherry on the cake is a wonderful aerial photograph of the ground with the huge power station in the background. Elsewhere in the programme are full page action shots from the 1987 FA Vase Semi Final at Emley and a 1949 game at Prescot Cables. Clearly a labour of love by the editor and well worth £2.
On the pitch the game was marked by a remarkable finish. Aided by two rather fortunate goals, St Helens were 2-1 up with two minutes of stoppage time played and apparently heading for a rare win. On comes substitute James Tose to score with his first touch shortly followed by Robert McCartney's second of the game to complete an amazing turnaround. Since joining the league, Carlisle City had beaten St Helens 4-3, 4-3 and 3-0. In his prescient programme column, the Chairman commented "The common theme in each game has been late Carlisle goals, so at least St Helens Town will know they will have to be prepared for a late onslaught this afternoon". Maybe he should have given the pre-match talk in the dressing room!
As ever the M6 was a nightmare. Despite avoiding the delays between J15 and J16, the effect was felt on surrounding roads and the 80 mile journey took three hours. Fortunately I'd allowed four hours!!

Witton Ender

siramisp
Youth Team Star

Dec 17, 2017, 12:09 PM

Post #52 of 71 (4379 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Saturday 16th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
MFL Prem.

Quorn 3 Westfields 3.

In £6
Paper £1
Att 122.
Carling £3.50.

The last refuge of the desperate is what many see games on 3G as but if they all produced corkers like this then they can go down everywhere as far I'm concerned.

An absolute classic with Quorn going in front 3 times and the end result was just about right. Anyone that watches the home team will be in for plenty of days like this because of manager Carl Abbotts brand of attacking football but having no idea how to defend.

Match watched in the excellent company of rambler and GTV of this manor plus it was nice to have a chat with a couple of MFL officials who I have not seen in ages , I was also recognised by a few of the Westfields men from the days when we used to play them.

Watching this game only went to reinforce my belief that the gulf in class between the MLF and UCL is immense and should we somehow get shifted back then step 6 football is a certainty a year down the line.

Carl Abbott has left Quorn for Whitchurch Alport hasn't he??

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 17, 2017, 12:10 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #53 of 71 (4374 views)
Shortcut
Re: [siramisp] Saturday 16th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

He hadn't at 5pm yesterday.

martin55
First Team Sub

Dec 17, 2017, 12:11 PM

Team(s):

Post #54 of 71 (4369 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AV1960] Saturday 16th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

First choice match today was always Mendip Broadwalk v Westfield, which was conveniently confirmed on by Twitter by 11am. However, I was surprised that on arrival I found that the Broad Plain House match on the adjacent pitch has been called off (apparently a few boggy areas).

Anywho, both teams play at Filwood Fields in the Knowle area of Bristol, this is a large area of grasslands with two railed pitches and others unrailed. Mendip play on the pitch to the left of the pavilion building (pitch 1), while Broad Plain House use the one to the right (main pitch – according to the map in the entrance). Apart from the rail the only other football furniture is dugouts. In the pavilion, as well as multiple changing rooms, there is a tea room on the ground floor and a bar area on the top floor.

The club was formed as merger of Broadwalk FC and Mendip United FC in 2015.

For this Somerset County League Division One East fixture top of the table Westfield were the visitors. Mendip Broadwalk took the lead after half an hour with a direct free kick eluding the keeper, then Westfield equalised just before half time. Westfield scored again early in the second half and looked to be on top, but a home equaliser ten minutes from the end resulted in an entertaining 2-2 draw. Quite warm early on in the sunshine.

Now with a few hours to kill before picking up my passenger for the drive home it was off to the handily timed 5:30 kick-off at Oaklands Park, Almondsbury.

Bradley Stoke Town v Hillfields Old Boys
Bristol and District League Senior Division

My first viewing of this level of football in this area, and not too bad (helped no end by the 3G pitch).
An even first half with no goals, but two second half goals clinched it for the visitors.
Very cold by the end and glad to get back to the car to warm up!

Both games f+n.

Can you remember who you were, before they told you who you should be?

hipkissexpress
Reserve Team Star

Dec 17, 2017, 12:16 PM

Team(s): Everton

Post #55 of 71 (4345 views)
Shortcut

Welsh National League (Wrexham Area) Division One
Castell Alun Colts 8-2 Johnstown Youth
F & N
Att: 12 (h/c)

One the few games in North East Wales to survive the weather but the pitch was an absolute bog. Nonetheless it was a decent game, if a bit one-sided, and in the second half tempers began to fray.

Castell AC should have scored more than the four they did before half time. Soon after the restart it was 4-2 but that was as close as it got for Johnstown. Even the homesters being reduced to 10 men on the hour didn't stop the goal spree and in the end the visitors were lucky to get away with just the eight.

Castell Alun's ground is at the back of Hope Leisure Centre/Castell Alun High Schoool and is railed off in parts, with hard standing along one touchline. There is no shelter from the elements, which was unfortunate today as it was pissing with rain and absolutely freezing cold. It is on days like these you do question your sanity....

read my inane ramblings at...
Damage in the Box!
http://groundhoppersdiary.blogspot.com/

follow me on twitter @christopher7590

Turbine View
Reserve Team Sub

Dec 17, 2017, 1:25 PM

Team(s): Cromer Town, Sheringham, Norwich City, Runton Utd.

Post #56 of 71 (4208 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hipkissexpress] Saturday 16th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bristol Premier Comb (Prem 1 Div.) Seymour Utd. (1)2 Hambrook (2) 4. Att 28hc f&n hot drinks and snacks available in excellent community centre cafe/bar, whilst infants Christmas party in full swing in main function hall. Coronation Park in the suburbs of Cadbury Heath, a regulation 2 pitch public park set up, surrounded by 1930's houses and literally dozens of First Group double decker buses (19/43, 45 and 46) rumble by and line up on a long stop whithin a large turning oval at one end of the ground. Game was an absolute cracker with leaders losing 100% record to 4th place visitors.

Have no Plan A and apply it rigidly..

rambler77
First Team Star

Dec 17, 2017, 2:45 PM

Team(s): Oadby Town, Leicester City

Post #57 of 71 (4056 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
MFL Prem.

Quorn 3 Westfields 3.

In £6
Paper £1
Att 122.
Carling £3.50.

The last refuge of the desperate is what many see games on 3G as but if they all produced corkers like this then they can go down everywhere as far I'm concerned.

An absolute classic with Quorn going in front 3 times and the end result was just about right. Anyone that watches the home team will be in for plenty of days like this because of manager Carl Abbotts brand of attacking football but having no idea how to defend.

Match watched in the excellent company of rambler and GTV of this manor plus it was nice to have a chat with a couple of MFL officials who I have not seen in ages , I was also recognised by a few of the Westfields men from the days when we used to play them.

Watching this game only went to reinforce my belief that the gulf in class between the MLF and UCL is immense and should we somehow get shifted back then step 6 football is a certainty a year down the line.

Could not agree more - a cracking game of football, and much better than my first game of the afternoon.

Leicester City 0-3 Crystal Palace

Admission: £35 - Christmas present from the wife
Programme: £3.50

A deserved win for the visitors against an in-form Leicester side, who looked off the pace from the off. Mid-table for both.

I left with about five minutes to go and made a very brisk walk to my car just over a mile away. Got to Quorn with a couple of minutes to ko. Good to catch up with Mr Knitters and GTV in the second half.

http://rambler77.zenfolio.com/

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Dec 17, 2017, 5:00 PM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #58 of 71 (3723 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stingray] Saturday 16th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SkyBet Championship
Bolton Wanderers 0 Burton Albion 1
Attendance 13,632
Admission by season ticket

A massive game in the context of the league table, but Bolton simply didn’t turn up. Burton went in front with a scuffed effort in the first half and stuck eleven men behind the ball thereafter, a scenario that obviously hadn’t been suggested in training all week as Bolton were clueless as to how to break them down.

Usually drive to home games, but yesterday was nominated as a bit of a booze day. Such days usually involve drinking in Bolton and travelling by train to the Macron, but we instead chose to stay in Leigh and use the excellent match bus service that has run from Leigh (with similar services from destinations as varied as Swinton, Bury and Wigan) since the move to the then-Reebok. £4 return and pint in hand in Leigh by 5.50pm. Had a swift pint on the concourse pre match and took advantage of the beer vouchers for half time to avoid the queues for a beer at the break. Probably for the best to have had a beer inside me to take the edge off the Bolton performance and rapidly dropping temperatures. Eventually home at 1.30am having had the first pint of the day at 12pm!

alan hindle
Youth Team Sub

Dec 17, 2017, 5:59 PM

Team(s): Wigan Athletic

Post #59 of 71 (3591 views)
Shortcut

I also visited Ruskin Sports Village for the NWCL Division One match St Helens Town v Carlisle City

I cannot improve on AV1960's report which was very good and covered superbly, particularly with the late smash and grab by Carlisle City.

I would just like to add two happenings from this visit, first the heritage boards on the fence to which AV1960 refers, was very pleasing find for me as the first board only referred to Bert Trautmann who I watched throughout his career with Manchester City during my spell of support for them. To this day Bert is still the greatest goalkeeper I have seen, despite several later very efficient 'keepers, because the multitude of great saves Bert made certainly kept City in the then First Division, pre-Premier League, they concede a lot of goals, but I reckon Bert saved as many with what could mainly be classed as world class. I just missed Frank Swift who many older City supporters told me was even better, his hands were apparently so big he could hold the ball comfortably in one hand, but as I didn't see him, I began watching City in December 1950, I can only speak for who I did see. Bert is clearly still reveared by St Helens Town, who took him from the local prisoner-of-War camp, to then in just over a year snapped up by City. The one vivid memory I have of Bert is his performance in the 1956 FA Cup Final v Birmingham City when he staggered through the late stages of the match with what was later diagnosed as a "broken neck" although Dave Ewing the big Scottish centre half was very heroic in shielding Bert for most of the "late stages".
The second happening at the above match was when I was in contact with Andy D's fellow 1874 Northwich supporter Brian Edge who I was sat near to.

Warwickian
Reserve Team Sub

Dec 17, 2017, 6:22 PM

Post #60 of 71 (3536 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Saturday 16th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
....Nuneaton was on the virtual list of FA Trophy fixtures to attend,however with the learned Mr Druryszki accompanying was fully aware that during midweek conversations he preferred another Trophy tie in the same county. Hence....

Leamington 0 v 1 Stourbridge - FA Trophy 1st Round
Prog 60 pages £2.50 (general consensus was that it was one of the best publications seen this season) - Admission £12.00 - Att 404 (plenty of those loudly declaring their loyalty to the Black Country)

...Tick for Mr D in terms of ground, and his favourite brand of coffee shops and one further plus point is a good ol' fashioned (and organised) programme shop, the likes of which used to be seen regularly back in the mid eighties, but are now as rare as a sighting in the UK of Coue's Arctic Redpoll. My first visit for three and a half years, though is the mind trying to confuse as I seem to recall the main stand being on the far side as you enter and the small uncovered temporary stand being on the opposite. Could of course be completely wrong, but have the stands traversed??

Weather wariness after a week of snow and ice were uppermost in our minds, but with the temperatures around the seasonal average and a light rain falling we were perplexed as to the Twitter output about inspections being required. We were informed on arrival though that the man in black (more about Mr Rhodes later) was of the ' It is me and only me that will make a decision as to whether the game will take place' persuasion. A few anxious moments around 13.00 waiting for the all clear Twitter confirmation message to come through at virtually 13.30 and boarded the commissioned bus service for a bargain £2.00 price to remind that one walk to the venue from the centre of Leamington back in 2007 was one of the less rational decisions ever made and this schlep was undertaken in September daylight.

Perplexed on arrival as to why any form of inspection was required as the pitch played perfectly throughout even with a couple of hefty showers during the course and on a day when the December skies were at their gloomiest, hardly surprising that the lights were on from the start.

Attritional contest that with a greater determination, Stourbridge deserved their win to provide a (hardly surprising) minor upset. Quick to challenge, Leamington collectively had little opportunity to dwell for any length of time in possession to size up the available options before the likes of Tonks, Forde and Broadhurst were in close proximity and too many Leamington crosses were easily dispatched back upfield by Pierpoint.

The first half was not an easy watch as it possessed little to no flow with the stop, stop, occasional start and then stop nature being perpetuated by Mr Rhodes who without being unkind was branded as being 'officious' and a referee who clearly sees the Advantage Rule as an unnecessary irrelevance. The contest could have been opened up if either team had taken a relatively early lead and Leamington almost took the lead with Gould in the Stourbridge goal flapping at a corner and Edwards header across the face teeing up Hood for what looked a simple tap in but a combination of Gould and Christophorou managed to keep the ball from crossing the line.

The midfield pack ice failed to show any sign of fragility for the vast majority of the first half and this was surely the contest where the first visit from the Nuls in 17-18 would occur as prospects for a goal looked as bleak as the rainy December Warwickshire skies.

The surprising aspect of the second half was that it yielded an early goal with a corner from Forde being flicked on by Perry and Dodd headed in from close range, the effort just squirming over the line after Breeden's attempts to keep the ball from crossing the line met with failure.

We thought that the Stoubridge opener would open up the contest and for what was the only occasion in the contest we had a clear break forward as Shearer ran forward unchallenged and sensibly laid a pass in the direction of the better positioned Forde who had the perfect opportunity to double the visitors advantage struck his shot against Breedon's legs.

Halfway through the second half there was a temporary burst of activity from the previously shackled Leamington forwards with Felix's close range angled drive being blocked by Gould's chest and soon after a curling free kick from Gudger which from the initial trajectory looked as if it would find the net just went the wrong side. For the remaining minutes, the contest reverted to type with the visiting midfield succeeding in their intent to suffocate any vestiges of life from this contest, this was a far better application of their style of play than what was seen 4 weeks before at Shaw Lane and clear that a FA Trophy run is clearly on the agenda to follow on from their recent FA Cup successes.

With the bus service leaving the car park promptly we were back at Leamington Station by 17.15. There was no desire to replicate the awful offering from the now Stonegate Leisure owned rather than JDW 'The Library', instead it was a return to the Benjamin Satchwell, which from the last visit where it was rather dingy has clearly undergone a makeover. Brewery tick from Lemming, though I would doubt their claim that their ales are brewed by the small furry critters who have a tendency to fall off cliffs. Followed on by an appointment with a Regal Blonde representing Byatts Brewery who for a 5.2 (that is ABV before any impure thoughts may occur) slipped down rather too easily.

Easy and on time journeys in both directions by Chiltern and back at the abode by 21.25.....

Also at this match.Nothing to add to Timmy Tabby excellent summary of the match but the stands you referred to have been swapped around to satisfy National League requirements.

Formerly known as Warwick Brake

intheshire
Youth Team Sub

Dec 17, 2017, 6:42 PM

Team(s):

Post #61 of 71 (3483 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Warwickian] Saturday 16th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

NPL Division 1 South
Bedworth United 1-1 Loughborough Dynamo
Att 165, Adm £9

Not loads to say about this one really. Great free kick opened the scoring for Dynamo, although the keeper will have been disappointed to have been beaten at the near post from a wide position. Things were a little niggly at times in a tight affair. Draw was fair, if anything the visitors looked slightly the more dangerous.

Plenty of descriptions of the ground on here, the standing area between the stand and the car park was out of bounds today (although only stewarded from one side) due to some residual ice. The faggots, chips and peas and massive cup of tea went down a treat on a chilly day. I was grateful that the pouring rain that came on as I passed Coventry stopped as I got out of the car.

Bedworth have recently unveiled a crocodile mascot by the name of BedCroc (obviously) - possibly the lowest level where I've seen one. Based on the lyrics I think his entry music of "We will croc you" (of course) might have been recorded just for him! Good use of studio time there Sly

Instagram: JBattheground
www.instagram.com/JBattheground

Last Ground (160): Castlecroft Stadium, AFC Wulfrunians

davidjay
Reserve Team Sub

Dec 17, 2017, 8:06 PM

Post #62 of 71 (3251 views)
Shortcut
Re: [intheshire] Saturday 16th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Midland Football League
Premier Division
Rugby Town 2 Boldmere St Michaels 1
Att: 135 (I'd guessed at about 150)
Add: Eight quid
Usual food, usual prices.

I like coming here, mainly because Rugby has a surprisingly large number of quality pubs. I tried the Seven Stars, Alexandra and Victoria en route to the ground, being relieved to find that the match had passed a late pitch inspection despite me never thinking there would have to be one, with snow thawed and reasonable temperatures for the time of year.

Nothing much of note happened for the first half-hour except the ref raising a few home tempers with some fussy decisions, then Boldmere got a goal on 31 minutes, through a combination of slack marking and a quality header. There'd been a bit of niggle between the teams despite no real action, then for some reason a Rugby player was sent off as they left for half-time.

I did wonder if the referee was on a promise because he'd kicked off early and allowed no more than twelve minutes for half-time. Little happened after the break, with Rugby unable to do much with the ball and the visitors happy to let them, then with about ten minutes left the numbers were evened up with another dismissal for what looked like nothing very much. Rugby got a goal from nowhere after 87 and another on the stroke of normal time to claim three slightly deserved points and push Boldmere deep into the relegation zone.

I wandered back to the station via Mr Chips (see their trip advisor reviews for some unintentional hilarity) for my tea, then the Rugby Tap and disappointing London Calling (why have what's essentially a Clash theme pub then tart it up like a nineties cocktail bar?) before strolling back to the station. The ground's nothing special, the football isn't particularly good but I do always enjoy my visits here.

richiejenn
First Team Star

Dec 18, 2017, 8:55 AM

Team(s):

Post #63 of 71 (2582 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davidjay] Saturday 16th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 16th December 2017 @3pm
Hospitals Charity Cup Quarter Final
SUTTON ATHLETIC 2-2 MERIDIAN (2-3 pens)
London Hire Stadium, Lower Road, Hextable

F&N
Attendance: 21 h/c

A few changes to the ground since my last visit here 18 months ago. Floodlights now up and working, a green chain link fence barrier and a turnstile separating the car park from the pitch. Also a small stand in the corner made from scaffolding, wooden planks and corrugated roofing.

Not much between the teams. The visitors play more like individuals with the forwards only reluctantly passing, whereas Sutton had more of a unit to them. The hosts were 2-0 up just over the hour mark but Meridian got one back with 20 to go then equalised with the last kick of the game. They went to win on penalties but neither side covered their penalty taking skills in glory.

Games 2017-18: 35
New Grounds 2017-18: 15
Total Grounds : 651

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

Dec 18, 2017, 10:00 AM

Team(s): Calne Town, Darlington, Rosenborg, Sussex CCC, Huddersfield RL

Post #64 of 71 (2524 views)
Shortcut
Re: [richiejenn] Saturday 16th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Welsh League D2

AFC Porth 0(0l-(0)5 STM Sports. £4, no programme Art 40 hc.

With fixtures falling by the wayside I was glad when Porth tweeted this was going ahead. On the way up there I did spot a couple of fallback games near the 470 too. I knew Porth was a traditional ground Nd I wasn't disappointed. Plenty of football furniture including a rebuilt old stand and in a typical setting high up in the Valleys.

This was a strange game. Although Porth are rock bottom they matched their opponents in an even but goalless first half, which could easily have ended 2-2. However an early goal.after the restart saw them fall apart. They had a player sent off shortly after, and another in about the 80th minute, both for 2nd yellows and both pretty soft I felt. By that stage STM were well on top and playing some nice football on a heavy pitch and they thoroughly deserved their win. Porth never really gave up but certainly look to be a struggling side. No Programme and an attendance of 40 when most games were off suggests problems may not just be on the field either.

An enjoyable afternoon out, and good to meet fellow hoppers Eddie and Jim too though I still frown upon leaving early just to tick a pub
Wink

"Run For the Hills Before They Burn"

Checkout my Facebook page "Proper Football Grounds"

facebook.com/paul.fergusson

LeedsPhil
First Team Star

Dec 18, 2017, 12:25 PM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #65 of 71 (2409 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Saturday 16th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Scottish Junior Cup 3
Forfar West End v Shotts Bon Accord, 4-2, H.T. 2-1, Att c.170, Admission £6, No paper, Steak Pie and Coffee £2.20
At Station Park (Forfar Athletic FC)

The only two Junior Cup games to survive were two that had been switched to neutral artificial pitches. That gave me a choice of Kirkintilloch v Glenafton at Petershill, or Forfar West End v Shotts at SPFL club Forfar Athletic. No contest as far as I was concerned – I thought the tie in Glasgow would be a tight, nervy affair between two of the competition favourites whereas the game at Forfar would be an open game between two sides wanting to win rather than two wanting to avoid defeat. Furthermore, an east v west match up always trumps an all-west and going to Forfar saved a visit to the miserable Petershill Park.

Didn’t indulge in any pre match shandies but had I done so it would have been the ever-reliable Plough, just down the road from Station Park.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also faced with the same choice, I fully agree with prorege’s logic but went with the other option on the basis that there would be Plan B alternatives around Glasgow, which there wouldn’t be on public transport if Forfar’s plastic was off – a concern when setting off from further north where we’ve had persistent frozen snow on the ground for a while. Forfar Albion was indeed Off as expected, although I see that Forfar West End’s amateur side’s home Amateur Cup tie went ahead !

Note that The Plough had a refurbishment which included removing Real Ale. Dear oh dear.

Scottish Junior Cup Round 3 (fourth attempt)
Kirkintilloch Rob Roy 1-0 Glenafton Athletic (the holders)
at Petershill Park (3G)
h/c 300
£6 in.
Pies sold out even before HT. Cheeseburger instead £1.50 – clap cold.
Prog £1 – fully up to date issue for today.

Another bracketed tick at soul-less Petershill Park, having previously done Benburb and Renfrew here, as well as Petershill of course. Moved from Rob Roy’s usual home sharing at Cumbernauld United. As my train passed by Cumbernauld village it was arctic up there. I see that even Cumbernauld Colts was off – Broadwood, plastic, shared with Clyde.
My match had been declared on in the morning during my train journey south, but walking from Springburn station the grass was absolutely solid and the streets, footpaths and the stadium car park were all ice-rinks. Yet once inside there was no problem – one side is a covered stand but the winter sun was shining across from the unobstructed side, so no risk of any frozen patches since no shadows on the pitch.

A healthy crowd at this one with little else on, although surprisingly no faces familiar to me – I’d’ve thought some well-known neutrals would have come along. Perhaps they were stood along the far side though, where the vast majority of the crowd went, to have the sun at their backs. I’d invested in replacing my flat ‘at since last week so could view from the comfort of a seat, looking into the sun.

Two top-division West sides, the visitors are the holders. I didn’t get the feeling of any holding back – there was a particularly scrunching coming together after only a quarter of an hour which wiped out the Rob Roy captain. Always amusing to see pensioners getting worked up having a go at their equivalents amongst the opposition support – “Did you see that! Did you see that!”. I overheard a Rob Roy official saying that the captain had required an ambulance, with a possibly-broken ankle

As the match wore on, a draw and therefore a replay looked the most likely outcome. But just three minutes from the end Rob Roy took the lead, and the holders’ tenure had come to an end. One Glenafton player walking off at the end was rising to the Rob Roy fans taunts. And by a quirk of the (very limited) fixture list, they meet again next week at New Cumnock, in a league match. There’ll be some reprisals, no doubt.

Very glad to go indoors at HT and hug a radiator. I could feel a chest infection coming on, which got worse in the second half. So much so that although I had successfully pre-matched in Blackfriars and the Drum & Monkey, I scrapped my intended plan to post-match at the State, Bon Accord and Three Judges, instead just getting the first train home and straight to my bed, where I remained until getting up on Monday to come in to cough & splutter upon my work colleagues.

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 18, 2017, 9:31 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #66 of 71 (1983 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LeedsPhil] Saturday 16th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Spain, Segunda Division (6 pm)

CF Reus Deportiu 0 Granada CF 0

Entry - I paid 36 euros for lower main stand (upper was 48 euros)

Programme - Free fold-out glossy colour issue (all areas of ground)

Crowd - 1,991

Having wanted to go abroad because of the cold weather back home, I chose Barcelona as the recent unrest there has hit the tourist industry, resulting in lower air fares and hotel prices. My flight to Reus airport was at 11.30 from Stansted, which meant that I had enough time to get there on my Freedom Pass by bus from Epping tube station via Harlow. The Ryanair flight was on time and arrived at Reus at the scheduled time of 14.45 - just over three hours before the kick-off. Reus airport is close enough to the town to be walkable, but I decided to be a bit extravagant and spend 3 euros on a the hourly local bus as I did not have to wait long for it. As I was not spending the night in the town, I needed somewhere to store my luggage but there were no lockers at either the bus or rail stations. Fortunately there is a 'Spar' supermarket near the train station which has refundable lockers and closes at 9 pm on Saturdays, so I used that.

The stadium is an easy 18-20 minutes walk west of the train station.
It is a very modern-looking venue, with an all-seated capacity of around 4,500 which has the potential to be expanded further. There is a cantilever main stand on the west side, with uncovered seating on the other three sides. The floodlights lean spectacularly towards the pitch, rather like those at Trencin in Slovakia which I visited in September. There is no athletics track and all the spectators are close to the action. There is also a full-size 3G pitch with a row of seating for spectators (presumably used for reserve and youth games) behind the east side.

This was the first goalless draw I had seen for a while, but it was far from being the worst one I have seen, with the home team playing well and creating some chances. However, visitors Granada were 5th in the table and this was probably one of their poorer performances of the season. They brought around 50 fans with them which is quite an impressive number for a game below the top division. After the game I collected my luggage from the supermarket and caught the 21.22 train from Reus to Barcelona Sants station, from where I had a 10-12 minute walk to the hotel I had booked online.

petermiller36
First Team Sub

Dec 19, 2017, 3:21 PM

Team(s): Ware & AFC Wimbledon

Post #67 of 71 (1703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Saturday 16th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Clachnacuddin 1 Formartine United 3
Highland Football League
£8 entry

Whilst on holiday in Aviemore I had to take in a local game. Inverness City was my first choice but this was postponed early doors. Inverness CT was my third choice but thankfully Clachnacuddin, my second choice, survived the weather thanks to the efforts of the groundsman. Had this game been south of the border then I wonder if it would have gone ahead as it was certainly firm in places and by full time was frozen over.

The game itself was decent with the visitors being the clear and rightful winners. I really enjoyed the ground. There's an impressive covered terrace at the far end and a grassed hill of a terrace down one length. The stand holds over 100 and does a job for a relative new build. Attendance must have been around 120 with some feisty Scottish shouting from the fans.

Step 4 Relegation and Step 5 Promotion Document:
http://bit.ly/2018Step4and5

leominster
First Team Star

Dec 21, 2017, 10:03 PM

Team(s): Cardiff City, KV Kortrijk, BFC Dynamo

Post #68 of 71 (1371 views)
Shortcut
Re: [petermiller36] Saturday 16th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

2.00 p.m.

Sully Sports 3 Cwm Welfare 1
South Wales Alliance Premier Division
Admission : Free, no programme
Attendance : 37 (h/c)

A rather chilly first game of the day on the coast. This was my first visit to this ground although 30 odd years ago I did score the wining goal in a junior game on an adjacent pitch. Fully railed with some fencing behind one goal to stop any errant shots heading on to the neighbouring rugby pitch. In the oval ball game the home side were hosting Llandrindod Wells according to Tim Johnson who was also present. At the football there are dugouts with a small covered standing area between them.

I was impressed with the general standard of play and the two goalkeepers in particular looked like they could play at a higher level. Cwm, near the bottom of the league, took the lead in an even first half before the home side equalised when a cross struck a defender and trickled over the line. Sully gradually got on top as the second half progressed, scored two more and could have got a fourth from the spot but the kick was superbly saved by the Cwm keeper diving full length to his left.

At full time it was off to the 5.30 kick off

Cardiff City 1 Hull City 0
Championship
Admission : Season ticket, programme £3
Attendance : 18,049

Cardiff came out on top in this battle of two injury hit sides. Neither side created too many chances but Cardiff's power and stamina told in the end, Sol Bamba heading in the only goal after Anthony Pilkington flicked on Lee Tomlin's cross.

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 23, 2017, 2:07 AM

Team(s): GILLINGHAM, AFC TELFORD UTD, Hartley Wintney, Ramsgate, Fisher, Witham Town

Post #69 of 71 (1263 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Saturday 16th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

GILLINGHAM 4 Bristol Rovers 1

Couldn't have picked a better team to dish out a thrashing to, should have been eight goals even! Laugh

Current totals/visits...
616 GROUNDS: Upper Beeding (56/92)
562 WETHERSPOONS: The Grand Electric Hall, Spennymoor
1 WETHERSPOONS HOTEL: Aylesbury

lovin spoonful
Youth Team Star

Dec 25, 2017, 7:26 AM

Post #70 of 71 (1111 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Saturday 16th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

ST MAWGAN RESERVES 1-5 SOUTHGATE SENIORS
Duchy League Division 4

On a day when the weather was the real winner the choice of game would be taken after picking the bones from what was left. St Columb Major was the intended destination until I noticed bottom of the table St Mawgan were hosting Southgate who were second and averaging nearly six goals a game. The hope was to extend my run of not seeing a 0-0 draw to 130 games.
Playing at Trevarrian Holiday Park with the sea visible, the wind blowing in from the coast made it a cold day in Cornwall and made me glad I wore my fleece, although slightly narked that after finding my gloves, I left them at home!
I wasn't in the greatest mood after my phone being on charge overnight had no battery life and I managed to get it to 20%, enough to get a few photos.
Although the wind was generally blowing across the pitch, a slight breeze was blowing up the slope and this meant most of the first half play was in St Mawgan's half as the visitors aimed to add to their 59 goals.
It took them 11 minutes to get off the mark when a long range effort was well saved but not gathered and the incoming striker was left with a tap in.
Southgate had a goal disallowed before, against the run of play, the home side equalised when a low shot found it's way into the corner of the net.
The visitors finally added a second after 34 minutes and when an unmarked header from a free kick found it's way into the net after 41 minutes, it was effectively game over for the home side. It also signalled the start of the mizzle which would last for the duration of the game and journey home.
The second half saw veteran referee George Wright who must surely be into his 70s don his jacket as the temperatures dropped.
17 seconds into the second half a low shot from the edge of the box found the back of the net and make the score 1-4.
Thankfully a spectator watching from a car departed and with no cover at the ground, I reversed into the space, parking side on to the pitch so I could face the bottom goal where surely most of the action would be. To my annoyance I spent longer than I hoped watching from over my shoulder at the other end but the home side didn't look like reducing the deficit.
With fifteen minutes of the ninety, Southgate caught the homesters on the hop and a swift breakaway heralded a low shot which made the scoreline a little more respectable. That said, I've seen worse teams than St Mawgan over the years and I don't think they will finish bottom. The two games I've seen this term, they don't seem a bad team but the table doesn't lie. Even though the referee blew the final whistle after 87 minutes, there were no complaints from either team of me with my wet legs warming up with the heater on full!
The ground isn't a bad one being at the top of the holiday park. It has post and rail on the near side and dug outs about ten feet back on the opposite side. Well positioned given the way the wind blows! The changing facilities are about 100 yards away but not too far. Spectator facilities are nil unless you are lucky enough to park alongside the pitch. The large turning area at the top has been replaced with a caravan storage area but there is ample parking but not necessarily with pitch side views.

174 grounds (13/01/18).
New grounds in 2017/18: Altarnun, Blackpool, Charlestown, Chesterfield, Delabole United, Derby County, Hayle (3G), Looe Town, Mansfield Town, Newton Abbot Spurs, Par Running Track (pitch 2), Plymouth Marjon, Rame Peninsula, RNAS Culdrose (pitch 2), Rosudgeon (pitch 2), Stoke Climsland, Teignmouth

(This post was edited by lovin spoonful on Dec 25, 2017, 7:29 AM)

sheffgeoff
First Team Star

Jan 2, 2018, 4:49 PM

Team(s): Colchester United, Stocksbridge Park Steels, Borussia Dortmund & Essex CCC

Post #71 of 71 (832 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lovin spoonful] Saturday 16th December [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Evo Stik South West

Corinium Stadium, Cirencester

Cirencester Town 4 (2) Slimbridge AFC 0 (0)

Red & Black Striped Shirts / Black Shorts Green & White Striped Shirts / Green Shorts

Attendance 123

Admission £10 Programme £2 Badges Sold Out

Chips & Curry Sauce £2.50 Tea £1.50

Played the 4G joker after my first choice, Cinderford, bit the dust. Impressed with the Corinium Stadium, a very smart set-up. Two seated stands on either side of the pitch and covered standing behind one goal. Smart clubhouse and tea bar both on the turnstile side of the ground. A comfortable win for the hosts with striker Ben Whitehead scoring a hattrick and Aiden Bennett adding a late fourth goal.

(This post was edited by sheffgeoff on Jan 2, 2018, 5:44 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3