Statement from Livingston FC regarding Programmes

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 16, 2017, 1:54 PM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #1 of 18 (2977 views)
Shortcut
Statement from Livingston FC regarding Programmes Can't Post or Reply Privately

Since introducing our electronic version of the ROAR matchday magazine it has proved to be a ROARING success, with Saturday’s Dundee Utd edition having over 2700 downloads to date.
So, let me thank everyone who took the opportunity to download a copy and share the link across all social media platforms. And a huge thanks also to the team behind the scenes who work tirelessly to ensure the end result is a quality production and fully integrated for all desktop and mobile devices.
We appreciate than some fans miss the paper version of the ROAR, not only as it’s something tangible to flick through, but also as something of a collectable item. But times change, and Livingston FC is at the forefront of the ground-breaking route to paperless matchdays.
The Club has an obligation to maintain sensible economics as well as monitoring the depth of our carbon footprint. By going paperless we are making a substantial saving in printing costs, as are the fans who now get the publication for free instead of shelling out £2.50. We’re keen to make the whole matchday experience as inexpensive as possible for everyone, so this is a good start.
Our responsibility to the environment is equally important, and going paperless as much as possible is honouring that commitment.
Every issue of the eROAR can be downloaded and saved to any storage device, meaning your collections can continue, only in a different format. Saturday’s is still available and can be downloaded for free by clicking HERE.
Robert Wilson
Chairman, Livingston FC

Chris1963

Oct 16, 2017, 4:15 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #2 of 18 (2931 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Statement from Livingston FC regarding Programmes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

No mention of the failure to pay printing bills, as mentioned in another thread. And if the environment is so important to them, then presumably they're going to follow the lead of Forest Green Rovers and sell only vegan food on matchdays.

prorege

Oct 16, 2017, 4:50 PM

Post #3 of 18 (2908 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Statement from Livingston FC regarding Programmes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Eh? Do you really think they would admit to that?

And as for vegan food . . . Get real, this is Scotland.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 16, 2017, 5:58 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #4 of 18 (2883 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Statement from Livingston FC regarding Programmes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sounds good to me. Very similar to the digital revolution in photography a decade or two ago. Just more convenient and cost-effective all round.

Cowden Andy
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 16, 2017, 7:13 PM

Team(s): Cowdenbeath FC

Post #5 of 18 (2860 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Eh? Do you really think they would admit to that?

And as for vegan food . . . Get real, this is Scotland.

Exactly if true they wouldn't broadcast if on an official website. Have to admit getting 2700 downloads is impressive they would never have sold anything like that with a hard copy.

As Livi was originally built to get the weegies out of an overcrowded city I doubt it the vegan food would go down well , be lucky to get them drinking diet irn bru with their greggs steakbake.

Steelback
First Team Star

Oct 16, 2017, 8:25 PM

Team(s): Northamptonshire Steelbacks : Peterborough United : San Francisco 49ers

Post #6 of 18 (2824 views)
Shortcut

Quite an arrogant statement to be honest. Lets see how much they care about their 'carbon footprint' if Celtic, Rangers or Aberdeen come visiting for a Scottish Cup tie in the New Year and they realise they can flog a few thousand copies at £2.50 a pop.

Presumably advertising boards around the pitch won't be used anymore due to not being environmentally friendly and paper tickets will not be sold either. Also no food will be available in hospitality areas to prevent wastage????

Would be interesting to see how many of the 2,700 downloads came from people who actually attended the game.

'Little' Northamptonshire Steelbacks 2013 & 2016 T20 CHAMPIONS

Cowden Andy
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 16, 2017, 9:46 PM

Post #7 of 18 (2787 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steelback] Statement from Livingston FC regarding Programmes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think you would be hard pressed to sell a couple of thousand programmes these days even against sides like that.

I believe some Premiership sides have quite low print runs compared to their crowds. Prorege would be able to add more I imagine he seems to know what's going on around clubs re programmes.

When we played in the Championship Rangers fans were good programme buyers followed by Hearts, Hibs were ok but not as good as the first two.

I would agree that the carbon footprint stuff is probably a lot of guff and just away of sounding "positive" when their probably just wanting to save money by not printing a programme.

At least when Queen's Park went digital they were up front about it and just said it was no viable for them to print one.

They do pay on the gate so no problems about the paper tickets!

Cowden Andy
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 16, 2017, 9:52 PM

Post #8 of 18 (2785 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Statement from Livingston FC regarding Programmes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Sounds good to me. Very similar to the digital revolution in photography a decade or two ago. Just more convenient and cost-effective all round.

Its ironic that the digital revolution has made the production and presentation quality of progammes to a high standard but in the end may also kill them.

I have to admit I like it when I get a sample pdf of our issue for the printer to check over they do look good, but for me nothing is better than getting my hands on the hard copy!

You can still make a programme viable. Apart from Edinburgh City we have the worst league crowds in the SPFL but still manage to turn up a glossy 48 page full colour issue which makes a small profit.

It can be done with a little effort and thought.

jrev61

Oct 17, 2017, 9:51 AM

Team(s): None

Post #9 of 18 (2682 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Statement from Livingston FC regarding Programmes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
No mention of the failure to pay printing bills, as mentioned in another thread. And if the environment is so important to them, then presumably they're going to follow the lead of Forest Green Rovers and sell only vegan food on matchdays.

The burger van just outside the ground does a roaring trade. Apparently the people who run it post on the away teams supporters forums that this is the only way to get proper food at the game. When I went to FGR a few weeks ago, the only food that most people were buying in the ground was the chips.

jrev61

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 17, 2017, 1:02 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #10 of 18 (2608 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cowden Andy] Statement from Livingston FC regarding Programmes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Its ironic that the digital revolution has made the production and presentation quality of progammes to a high standard but in the end may also kill them.

I have to admit I like it when I get a sample pdf of our issue for the printer to check over they do look good, but for me nothing is better than getting my hands on the hard copy!

You can still make a programme viable. Apart from Edinburgh City we have the worst league crowds in the SPFL but still manage to turn up a glossy 48 page full colour issue which makes a small profit.

Fair comment, and I'm still one of those who has to buy a programme if one is issued (though I did waver a bit at the start of this season).

I get the impression that the ones that make a few quid are also those that are more akin to 'labours of love' rather than the mainstream, and it's probably no coincidence that these also happen to be the best ones imho. But they're in a minority - based on my own football-watching, I'd guess around 10%. Most of the other 90% I can see disappearing altogether in the next two or three years, and I suspect the easy availability of up to date news and information from other sources will mean their passing won't be missed too much.

prorege

Oct 17, 2017, 1:12 PM

Post #11 of 18 (2597 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Cowden Andy] Statement from Livingston FC regarding Programmes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

You are right, but it relies entirely on having someone like yourself who is prepared to put many hours into it for no real reward. People with that sort of commitment are few and far between these days.

Cowden Andy
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 17, 2017, 7:52 PM

Post #12 of 18 (2489 views)
Shortcut

Aye I suppose your right there are very few and far between folk who put the time and effort in.

In our division as you know the best ones are Clyde, Edinburgh City and Berwick.

Three clubs with folk who are willing to do a bit of work making their programme interesting.

Too much clubs just go through the motions with really mundane and bland stuff in them no wonder sales are poor at some places.

Cowden Andy
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 17, 2017, 7:57 PM

Post #13 of 18 (2485 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Statement from Livingston FC regarding Programmes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

One of the things i've learned over the years Paul is you have to make a programme interesting for your reader.

I think we probably do that, sure some of the things can be found on the internet but the vast majority of articles are all original with a strong slant on historical stuff.

Also everything isn't just based on us we like to makes sure there is also a lot of reading for away fans and neutrals.

Our fans seem to like it and the programme is selling at 1 in 3 or so which is not bad these days and I have a decent amount of subscribers.

Chris1963

Oct 18, 2017, 3:45 PM

Post #14 of 18 (2335 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Statement from Livingston FC regarding Programmes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

The burger van just outside the ground does a roaring trade. Apparently the people who run it post on the away teams supporters forums that this is the only way to get proper food at the game. When I went to FGR a few weeks ago, the only food that most people were buying in the ground was the chips.

I don't know if "proper food" is your view or that of the person who posts on these forums, but people shouldn't pass judgement on vegan food unless they have actually tried it themselves.

The latest edition of Groundtastic magazine has a feature on FGR and there is a comment by the editors saying that they tried the vegan burger inside the ground and it tasted better than many of the meat burgers they had eaten at other grounds over the years.

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Oct 18, 2017, 4:26 PM

Team(s): Nuneaton Griff

Post #15 of 18 (2322 views)
Shortcut

Not sure it is the taste that many people are worried about, more the fact that someone is imposing his views on supporters by not offering an alternative. In a way that is purely the opposite to probably 99% of grounds in this country that do not offer anything for Vegans.
Personally it does not concern me as I don't eat on football grounds but plenty do.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 18, 2017, 5:18 PM

Post #16 of 18 (2294 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
people shouldn't pass judgement on vegan food unless they have actually tried it themselves.

Vegans seem to routinely pass judgement on carnivore foods without actually having tried them for themselves.

Cowden Andy
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 18, 2017, 5:57 PM

Post #17 of 18 (2266 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Statement from Livingston FC regarding Programmes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
people shouldn't pass judgement on vegan food unless they have actually tried it themselves.

Vegans seem to routinely pass judgement on carnivore foods without actually having tried them for themselves.

Not really bothered about how folk live their life's but I hate when they preach to other folk.

By the way i'm one of those who like "normal" food. Coo's were made for eatingCool

Chris1963

Oct 18, 2017, 7:58 PM

Post #18 of 18 (2224 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Statement from Livingston FC regarding Programmes [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Nonsense. Surely you are aware that nearly all vegans (myself included) started off as meat eaters?

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3