Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
EU Withdrawal Negotiations

First page Previous page 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 Next page Last page  View All

mip
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 13, 2018, 6:09 PM

Team(s): Portsmouth, OB, Svendborg fB, Tved B

Post #1076 of 1100 (333 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ronsdog] EU Withdrawal Negotiations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
An internal report from the EU leaked to the Times......

A no-deal Brexit could be worse for the EU than for Britain, a secret report drawn up by the bloc reveals.

bla bla bla...

But the bureaucracy-laden EU may not be able to get all the clearance needed to act swiftly, the report finds.

bla bla bla...

Dear Me!!!ShockedShockedShocked

I will immediately start to build up a stock of tinned food as EU will obviously fall to pieces in 2019!

Interesting that an EU report uses the phrase "bureaucracy-laden EU"... that's self observant!Crazy

Tongue

PaulC

Aug 13, 2018, 6:10 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #1077 of 1100 (332 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ronsdog] EU Withdrawal Negotiations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

A no-deal Brexit could be worse for the EU than for Britain, a secret report drawn up by the bloc reveals....

That's the Daily Fail, word for word.

This is The Times

"The Bank of England has ploughed billions of the Treasuryís foreign currency reserves into euros since the Brexit referendum"

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Aug 13, 2018, 6:33 PM

Team(s): Lowestoft Town, Crystal Palace

Post #1078 of 1100 (313 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] EU Withdrawal Negotiations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

A no-deal Brexit could be worse for the EU than for Britain, a secret report drawn up by the bloc reveals....

That's the Daily Fail, word for word.

This is The Times

"The Bank of England has ploughed billions of the Treasuryís foreign currency reserves into euros since the Brexit referendum"

Clearly reported by both publications then....Tongue

Fact checking reveals that Germany has a balance of trade surplus with the U.K. of £25 bn, similarly with those two 'Pro European' states Poland and Italy. £5bn plus in each case.

If the EU can't get its act together then I expect national interest to come into play. Poland for one has already taken unilateral measures to ignore EU directives...re immigration.

And with the Italian financial crisis about to explode, I can only see the fragmentation of the whole sorry European project.

https://fullfact.org/europe/uk-eu-trade/

National interest will undoubtedly trump EU law in the final analysis.

I can't see those states that are currently less than enthusiastic about the project 'keeping the faith' when it makes them poorer.

mip

Aug 13, 2018, 6:44 PM

Post #1079 of 1100 (303 views)
Shortcut

From https://fullfact.org/europe/uk-eu-trade/

About 43% of UK exports in goods and services went to other countries in the EU in 2016 - £240 billion out of £550 billion total exports.

That share has generally been declining, since exports to other countries have increased at a faster rate.

A question: How much of that increase in UK's trade with countries outside of EU has been facilitated by trade agreements made by EU? Trade agreements the UK is about to lose.

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Aug 13, 2018, 7:20 PM

Post #1080 of 1100 (281 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mip] EU Withdrawal Negotiations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

A question: How much of that increase in UK's trade with countries outside of EU has been facilitated by trade agreements made by EU? Trade agreements the UK is about to lose.

The simple answer is around 60%.

However it's not true to state that we will lose those agreements.
Under WTO rules provision is made for such an occurence and the continuation of such deals pending their amendment is quite a straightforward process if both parties agree.

It presumes that there is goodwill on both sides.

Something that is clearly lacking in the current negotiations with the EU as they seek to punish the UK.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 13, 2018, 7:33 PM

Post #1081 of 1100 (270 views)
Shortcut

It is also the case that the economies of those countries with which the EU has trade deals (and some with it has none) have been growing quickly for some time while the EU has been stagnating. That accounts for a large part in the swing in the balance of UK trade from 55:45 in the late 90s to 45:55 today.

mip

Aug 13, 2018, 7:34 PM

Post #1082 of 1100 (267 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Something that is clearly lacking in the current negotiations with the EU as they seek to punish the UK.

Come on RD, it's below your standard of discussion to play the victimised Englander.

If UK would propose something with just a modicum of reasonability, EU would happily negotiate.

But leaving EU and in the process demanding that we change our fundamental rules, of which UK is a co-writer, to accommodate you is just not on.

Mahut 38, Isner 38, not even near finishing...

Towlawtom
Youth Team Regular

Aug 13, 2018, 7:48 PM

Post #1083 of 1100 (261 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mip] EU Withdrawal Negotiations [In reply to] Can't Post or

Some of my colleagues and others I know who voted Brexit nearly all their reasoning follows the same pattern They throw up a thousand reasons which they canít explain or justify, before finally admitting it comes down to immigration. When I explain that we have control over immigration that our government has failed to exercise they tend do be as thick as PS and don't realise. Just a lack of research and not getting the facts because they are lazy to do so. Too much Daily Fail and Sun reading. This obviously applied to many who voted Brexit who were misinformed. Just too lazy to research the facts.

If they are concerned about immigration the best way of going about is to make the UK a third world country. By going down the brexit route we Wont be far off.

Not that much immigration in 3rd world countries to the best of my knowledge.

I need to have the last word as it makes it look as if i'm always right!

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Aug 13, 2018, 7:50 PM

Post #1084 of 1100 (259 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mip] EU Withdrawal Negotiations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Come on RD, it's below your standard of discussion to play the victimised Englander.

If UK would propose something with just a modicum of reasonability, EU would happily negotiate.

But leaving EU and in the process demanding that we change our fundamental rules, of which UK is a co-writer, to accommodate you is just not on.

Perhaps you might wish to reflect on the back stop position regarding the Irish border question then.

The EU have conceded that any bi lateral agreements struck before our entry into the EEC will take precedence. But with a stroke they negate that by stating that the single Market/Customs rules can't be amended to accommodate a compromise even if negotiated between the two nations directly, which HMG proposed.

After all the Good Friday Agreement didn't involve any EU input.

PaulC

Aug 13, 2018, 7:59 PM

Post #1085 of 1100 (254 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

"The Good Friday Agreement would never have happened without the European Union, a former US senator who helped broker the deal has said.

George Mitchell chaired the talks which led to the 1998 peace agreement....

"...I believe the talks would never have occurred had there not been a European Union.""
https://www.bbc.co.uk/...ern-ireland-42412972

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Aug 13, 2018, 8:05 PM

Post #1086 of 1100 (250 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] EU Withdrawal Negotiations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Quote...."I don't think the European Union was essential in the [Good Friday Agreement] talks themselves, but I believe the talks would never have occurred had there not been a European Union."

So just what did the EU contribute?

(This post was edited by Ronsdog on Aug 13, 2018, 8:07 PM)

PaulC

Aug 13, 2018, 8:10 PM

Post #1087 of 1100 (239 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Quote...."I don't think the European Union was essential in the [Good Friday Agreement] talks themselves, but I believe the talks would never have occurred had there not been a European Union."

Stability, commonsense and no vested interests.

Still I'm sure you know more about it than the man who chaired the GFA talks.

Ronsdog
First Team Star

Aug 13, 2018, 8:21 PM

Post #1088 of 1100 (234 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Stability, commonsense and no vested interests.

No more than an interested bystander.

And if the EU has no vested interest why did they block the proposed irish/British direct talks to sort out the border issue.

Clearly the EU behaved with malevolence when it came to intra netional negotiations as they always do, by blocking the proposal.
Goodnight.

PaulC

Aug 13, 2018, 8:33 PM

Post #1089 of 1100 (220 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Clearly the EU behaved with malevolence when it came to intra netional negotiations as they always do, by blocking the proposal.
Goodnight.

What does that have to do with the GFA - reached when we are all full and willing members of the EU?

Brexit, of course, is already putting a spanner in the works as the UK tries and fails to square a circle.

mip

Aug 13, 2018, 8:46 PM

Post #1090 of 1100 (216 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Perhaps you might wish to reflect on the back stop position regarding the Irish border question then.

The EU have conceded that any bi lateral agreements struck before our entry into the EEC will take precedence. But with a stroke they negate that by stating that the single Market/Customs rules can't be amended to accommodate a compromise even if negotiated between the two nations directly, which HMG proposed.

I don't have to time to read up on the Good Friday Agreement.

But clearly EU has a vested interest in the RoI as it's a member of the EU. And direct negotiations between UK and RoI would have two possible outcomes as I can see it:

i) RoI allowing frictionless trade across the border and thereby in effect moving themselves outside the Single Market.
ii) Not agreeing frictionless trade across the border thereby, according to UK, being responsible for the GFA being broken.

Yatesman in an earlier post explained why EU membership is beneficial to small continental nations with big neighbours. I think we can extend that to other small nations as well.

Yatesman
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 13, 2018, 9:36 PM

Team(s): Yate Town F.C.

Post #1091 of 1100 (188 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

I don't have to time to read up on the Good Friday Agreement.

But clearly EU has a vested interest in the RoI as it's a member of the EU. And direct negotiations between UK and RoI would have two possible outcomes as I can see it:

i) RoI allowing frictionless trade across the border and thereby in effect moving themselves outside the Single Market.
ii) Not agreeing frictionless trade across the border thereby, according to UK, being responsible for the GFA being broken.

Yatesman in an earlier post explained why EU membership is beneficial to small continental nations with big neighbours. I think we can extend that to other small nations as well.

In my opinion, raising the issue of The Good Friday Agreement being under threat is a red herring cynically deployed by RoI and Barnier to try to undermine NI's status within the Union.

A seperate agreement regarding trade between RoI and Uk is what's required If the EU can't deliver that then the RoI would be better off outside the EU.

mip

Aug 13, 2018, 9:50 PM

Post #1092 of 1100 (178 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yatesman] EU Withdrawal Negotiations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In my opinion, raising the issue of The Good Friday Agreement being under threat is a red herring cynically deployed by RoI and Barnier to try to undermine NI's status within the Union.

A seperate agreement regarding trade between RoI and Uk is what's required If the EU can't deliver that then the RoI would be better off outside the EU.

But the points is, the UK should be able to trade with whomever you want at whatever standards you want. Fine.

But if there's free trade across the Irish border, whatever can enter UK can enter RoI. And if there's free trade between RoI and the rest of EU, whatever entered the UK can enter EU.

Then we're back at pesticide- and hormone-ridden stuff on my dinner table. How could we in the EU be certain that wouldn't happen? How would the UK control that only goods following EU standards would enter RoI?

The onus is on UK to deliver something that works, not on EU.

Yatesman
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 13, 2018, 10:00 PM

Post #1093 of 1100 (171 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Towlawtom] EU Withdrawal Negotiations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Some of my colleagues and others I know who voted Brexit nearly all their reasoning follows the same pattern They throw up a thousand reasons which they canít explain or justify, before finally admitting it comes down to immigration. When I explain that we have control over immigration that our government has failed to exercise they tend do be as thick as PS and don't realise. Just a lack of research and not getting the facts because they are lazy to do so. Too much Daily Fail and Sun reading. This obviously applied to many who voted Brexit who were misinformed. Just too lazy to research the facts.

If they are concerned about immigration the best way of going about is to make the UK a third world country. By going down the brexit route we Wont be far off.

If immigration was their concern then so be it. It's their right to prioritise their concerns however they see fit.
If people decided that their immigration concerns was not being addressed by different Governments of all persuasions then it was their right to choose the nuclear option.
Had our politicians listened instead of lectured it might have turned out differently.
Obviously that is something that makes you very, very angry. Why is that? Why would you not allow people to vocalise the things that concern them ?

I also think you'll find the antipathy towards the EU ran much, much deeper than mere immigration concerns and the accelerating scramble toward ever closer union, the creation of nation state institutions such as armed forces, under the EU banner, It's own currency, the pre-eminence of EU courts over UK courts and the incessant diminishing of the role of individual nations' sovereignity over it's borders etc was also a big part of the Brexit picture.

I also know plenty of Remainers who only voted that way because they wanted to keep the status quo. They didn't know why, that's just their nature. They couldn't actually give a good reason to be in the EU other than not wanting change. I don't feel the need to insult them for taking no interest in the debate...they just went with their instincts just as many Leavers did.

Yatesman
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 13, 2018, 10:15 PM

Post #1094 of 1100 (160 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

But the points is, the UK should be able to trade with whomever you want at whatever standards you want. Fine.

But if there's free trade across the Irish border, whatever can enter UK can enter RoI. And if there's free trade between RoI and the rest of EU, whatever entered the UK can enter EU.

Then we're back at pesticide- and hormone-ridden stuff on my dinner table. How could we in the EU be certain that wouldn't happen? How would the UK control that only goods following EU standards would enter RoI?

You're wrong about that . It's written in to the Lisbon Treaty that it is incumbent upon the EU to negotiate a workable agreement with any nation that invokes article 50. EU law agreed amongst the 28 ...Would be nice if you adhered to your own rules,lol!

Also, the problem works both ways. There will be EU standards below UK standards but there are ways to pre register goods and suppliers etc, tbh stopping Brexit just because there are a few difficulties to overcome is a bit pathetic.

Imagine if we stopped every time we faced something that looked difficult or required a bit of creative thinking.

I have to ask, out of interest, what do you do when you venture outside the blessed EU ?
Take your own supplies?

mip

Aug 13, 2018, 10:44 PM

Post #1095 of 1100 (138 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yatesman] EU Withdrawal Negotiations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

You're wrong about that . It's written in to the Lisbon Treaty that it is incumbent upon the EU to negotiate a workable agreement with any nation that invokes article 50. EU law agreed amongst the 28 ...Would be nice if you adhered to your own rules,lol!

Also, the problem works both ways. There will be EU standards below UK standards but there are ways to pre register goods and suppliers etc, tbh stopping Brexit just because there are a few difficulties to overcome is a bit pathetic.

Imagine if we stopped every time we faced something that looked difficult or required a bit of creative thinking.

I have to ask, out of interest, what do you do when you venture outside the blessed EU ?
Take your own supplies?

I don't want to stop Brexit, I just want EU not to be shafted by the UK.

I bring my own tinned food, whatever I don't eat myself, I can sell on the UK black market... Tongue

When you discuss food standards you should of course consider long term effects, effects on the environment, effects on our health treatment and the effect on populations and not single persons.

And I really see no point in lowering food standards and am glad I live in a part of the world where we have the possibility to set the highest standards. One example is the aim of prudent use of antibiotics in both food production and health treatment. The day we can't treat trivial infections with antibiotics, we have a huge problem.

Yatesman
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 14, 2018, 7:05 AM

Post #1096 of 1100 (78 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Towlawtom] EU Withdrawal Negotiations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

'To the best of YOUR knowledge' is setting the bar very low !

Towlawtom
Youth Team Regular

Aug 14, 2018, 7:24 AM

Post #1097 of 1100 (70 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yatesman] EU Withdrawal Negotiations [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

YAWN!, YAWN!, More extreme right wing Brexit drivel on the cards today I assume?

I need to have the last word as it makes it look as if i'm always right!

Yatesman
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 14, 2018, 7:28 AM

Post #1098 of 1100 (68 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Take your own supplies?

I don't want to stop Brexit, I just want EU not to be shafted by the UK.

I bring my own tinned food, whatever I don't eat myself, I can sell on the UK black market... Tongue

When you discuss food standards you should of course consider long term effects, effects on the environment, effects on our health treatment and the effect on populations and not single persons.

And I really see no point in lowering food standards and am glad I live in a part of the world where we have the possibility to set the highest standards. One example is the aim of prudent use of antibiotics in both food production and health treatment. The day we can't treat trivial infections with antibiotics, we have a huge problem.

Oh I doubt the behemoth that is the EU Empire will be 'shafted' by lil ol' UK.
What is achievable , once the EU finds it's good faith, is a mutually benefit post Brexit trading agreement that respets the UK's new found sovereignity...... See, put like that it doesn't seem such an insurmountable problem does it....

As for lowering food standards, where is the evidence that the UK INTENDS to do that? You can have unfounded fears but where is the hard evidence?
There's every chance our food standards will improve on the EU's standards .
The current situation is that the FSA will retain all current EU regulation and standards by legislating it into UK law.
The mission statement of the FSA is quite clear as to it's remit to uphold high standards of safety, supply and investigation.
No doubt there will be transition issues.

It's quite humourous to witness the EU's haughtiness over standards when you think the EU practically adopted the whole of the BSI accumulated sfety standards into it's CE standards because British standards were far superior and far more comprehensive than anything any EU nation had to offer and it's kitemark is still considered the best standard available by most Britons!

PaulC

Aug 14, 2018, 7:51 AM

Post #1099 of 1100 (61 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
There's every chance our food standards will improve on the EU's standards .

LOL!!!!!

jon b
First Team Star

Aug 14, 2018, 8:58 AM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #1100 of 1100 (15 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Hm.

For the response to that comment, see posts 967 & 968 on sheet 39 of this thread

First page Previous page 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3