Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
The Queen's Speech

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Turbine View
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 11, 2017, 12:02 PM

Team(s): Cromer Town, Sheringham, Norwich City, Runton Utd.

Post #1 of 29 (1989 views)
Shortcut
The Queen's Speech Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm hearing that Jeremy Corbyn is preparing to vote down the Queen's Speech. if you were in Labour's shoes at the moment, would you do so?
If it were me, I think I'd sit back and watch things implode. Discuss.

Have no Plan A and apply it rigidly..

leohoenig
Administrator

Jun 11, 2017, 12:12 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #2 of 29 (1984 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Turbine View] The Queen's Speech [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Is it not normal for the opposition to vote against the Queen's speech, or at least elements of it.
If the Tory-DUP alliance does not get this through, then we need the next election tomorrow

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 11, 2017, 12:18 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #3 of 29 (1976 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Turbine View] The Queen's Speech [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'm hearing that Jeremy Corbyn is preparing to vote down the Queen's Speech. if you were in Labour's shoes at the moment, would you do so?

What he will do is submit amendments to the Queen's Speech and invite those few moderate Tory MPs to support them.

justAndy
Youth Team Regular

Jun 11, 2017, 3:12 PM

Team(s): Derby County, with a chunk of my heart still following Hucknall

Post #4 of 29 (1889 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] The Queen's Speech [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

What he will do is submit amendments to the Queen's Speech and invite those few moderate Tory MPs to support them.

Unless the Tories are totally committed to hari kari, there should be nothing in it to worry anyone. easy to say you have listened and bin parts of the manifesto. If they cannot even do that they deserve hoofing out. However, there should then be another election, as all the other parties have a lesser mandate for power, and would still need the DUP to get anywhere

007Dale
First Team Regular

Jun 11, 2017, 4:37 PM

Post #5 of 29 (1851 views)
Shortcut
Re: [justAndy] The Queen's Speech [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Heard some ridiculous Momentum women on Sky News earlier saying Jeremy Corbyn had a mandate to lead the country and the Tories should not collaborate with the DUP.

It's like silly season - there is a majority for right-leaning parties in Westminster, what does she expect will happen if Jeremy Corbyn tries to get a Queens Speach through?

There are only two realistic options at this point:
1. Tories propped up by the DUP
2. Call a new General Election.

Given the huge significance of the moment with Brexit negotiations, I'd actually love to see some sort of Tory-Labour working alliance, where elements of the Labour manifesto are worked into the Tory budget. That would strip all power from the smaller parties and bring the country together. Chances of this happening are zero.

Turbine View
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 11, 2017, 5:02 PM

Team(s): Cromer Town, Sheringham, Norwich City, Runton Utd.

Post #6 of 29 (1839 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] The Queen's Speech [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If the new 'love in' between Ed and George produce a joint PM working arangement, then it might just be possible..

Have no Plan A and apply it rigidly..

justAndy
Youth Team Regular

Jun 11, 2017, 5:04 PM

Post #7 of 29 (1837 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

IF it is voted through, it wont need amending

PaulC

Jun 11, 2017, 5:13 PM

Post #8 of 29 (1830 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Amendments are tabled first.

steve walker
Administrator

Jun 11, 2017, 7:59 PM

Team(s):

Post #9 of 29 (1773 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Given the huge significance of the moment with Brexit negotiations, I'd actually love to see some sort of Tory-Labour working alliance, where elements of the Labour manifesto are worked into the Tory budget. That would strip all power from the smaller parties and bring the country together. Chances of this happening are zero.

I totally agree with this sentiment.

Given that the Brexit negotiations are 'in the National interest' which seems to be the latest mantra that the Tories are chanting then having cross party representation in these talks should have been Government policy from Day One.

Actually I'm not sure that chances of it happening are zero. Sure, it isn't in Labours interests right now as despite them having fewer votes and fewer seats the momentum (no pun intended) is most certainly with them. They are 5-6 points ahead in the polls and with todays 'reshuffle' just presenting us with the same Tories with the same ideas as Mrs May cannot risk making enemies of any of them it's hard to see how that cannot just get worse (or better depending on your outlook). Look what happened when she sacked Osborne.

The reason I say I'm not sure about the chances being zero is that Corbyn does appear to be more open to new ideas and doesn't seem to hold grudges. He has often said that MPs that didn't support him would not necessarily be excluded from a future shadow of even front bench. I think if he saw people which he thought deserved to be included in Brexit negotiations then he would include them regardless of party affiliations.

justAndy
Youth Team Regular

Jun 11, 2017, 8:16 PM

Post #10 of 29 (1757 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Amendments are tabled first.

Yes, but it would normally (although i don't think 'normal' is an appropriate word in this case),be an amendment to add a 'vote of confidence' rather than a specific piece of legislation within it.. If the tories are incapable of sorting that out alongside the DUP, then like i say, they deserve hoofing,

acmold

Jun 11, 2017, 8:25 PM

Post #11 of 29 (1749 views)
Shortcut
Re: [justAndy] The Queen's Speech [In reply to] Can't Post or

Wouldl the DUP vote for a Queens speech. They have been described as dinosaurs but they won't except that.

justAndy
Youth Team Regular

Jun 11, 2017, 8:31 PM

Post #12 of 29 (1742 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] The Queen's Speech [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Wouldl the DUP vote for a Queens speech. They have been described as dinosaurs but they won't except that.

I am surprised that folk seem to be surprised about the DUP, i suppose they have not mattered before now. Very right wing, Anti EU, amongst dozens of other things. Anything with the queens name attatched would have to be approved. I had the pleasure of serving in NI for 3 years, Bigotry was almost exclusively loyalist, and it seems it remains so. The DUP, like the Tories may well do anything to stay in power

steve walker
Administrator

Jun 11, 2017, 8:47 PM

Team(s):

Post #13 of 29 (1727 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

I am surprised that folk seem to be surprised about the DUP, i suppose they have not mattered before now. Very right wing, Anti EU, amongst dozens of other things. Anything with the queens name attatched would have to be approved. I had the pleasure of serving in NI for 3 years, Bigotry was almost exclusively loyalist, and it seems it remains so. The DUP, like the Tories may well do anything to stay in power

That's an interesting inside view on this to help someone like myself who has never been there. I'm sure there must be a lot of people saying 'who the hell are the DUP?'

justAndy
Youth Team Regular

Jun 11, 2017, 8:58 PM

Post #14 of 29 (1717 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] The Queen's Speech [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

That's an interesting inside view on this to help someone like myself who has never been there. I'm sure there must be a lot of people saying 'who the hell are the DUP?'

Blimey, where to start, DUP/UDA/UVF add in the UDR of old, they all pee'd in the same pot ( i going back to the mid 80's ) - they were never as bad as the IRA or INLA, but were not far behind (perhaps not the UDR, more disciplined regular army)

The DUP are Loyalist with a very big capital L

007Dale
First Team Regular

Jun 11, 2017, 9:10 PM

Post #15 of 29 (1711 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] The Queen's Speech [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It would be great if they could work something out.

I listened to Jezza today and the parties are not that far apart on Brexit. He acknowledged that leaving the EU meant leaving the single market. He wanted a tariff free trade deal (same as Tories). The big difference comes with the European Court of Justice.

A compromise on the budget could include something like:
- free tuition for certain key courses (nursing, medical, sciences). But not Media studies at Northants Poly.
- raise in personal allowance (which both sides agree on)
- No big raise in Income Tax and VAT, but scrap the Tories planned corporation tax cuts, maybe 1p on the 40p rate if required.

It just feels like a pragmatic solution could be found with the will of the MP's.

Fanatic
First Team Star

Jun 11, 2017, 9:31 PM

Team(s):

Post #16 of 29 (1700 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
It would be great if they could work something out.

I listened to Jezza today and the parties are not that far apart on Brexit. He acknowledged that leaving the EU meant leaving the single market. He wanted a tariff free trade deal (same as Tories). The big difference comes with the European Court of Justice.

A compromise on the budget could include something like:
- free tuition for certain key courses (nursing, medical, sciences). But not Media studies at Northants Poly.
- raise in personal allowance (which both sides agree on)
- No big raise in Income Tax and VAT, but scrap the Tories planned corporation tax cuts, maybe 1p on the 40p rate if required.

It just feels like a pragmatic solution could be found with the will of the MP's.

I think you mean the European Court of Human Rights. The ECJ is part of the EU and we would leave that if we leave.

The ECHR is subscribed to by all European countries except Belarus. Leaving it would make us look like a dictatorship.

I believe the Tories have done a reverse ferret on this and apparently no longer want to leave it.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 11, 2017, 10:12 PM

Post #17 of 29 (1676 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] The Queen's Speech [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
The big difference comes with the European Court of Justice.

I think you mean the European Court of Human Rights. The ECJ is part of the EU and we would leave that if we leave.

The ECHR is subscribed to by all European countries except Belarus. Leaving it would make us look like a dictatorship.

I believe the Tories have done a reverse ferret on this and apparently no longer want to leave it.

The EU recently suggested that after leaving the UK should continue to abide by ECJ rulings on the rights of EU citizens in the UK. That would be unacceptable.

ECHR:
The Tories have more than once suggested that parts of the ECHR be rescinded so that foreign criminals can be deported. The saga of Abu Hamza was an embarrassment, though in light of recent revelations one has to ask whether this was due to legalities or a simple lack of competence. Other countries appear to have much less difficulty in removing undesirables.

To say the UK would look like a dictatorship if it left the ECHR is a bit of an exaggeration, however. I don't think it was regarded as one when it signed up in 1953, especially as it played a large part in drafting it under the guidance of David Maxwell-Fyfe.

(This post was edited by Mr. T on Jun 11, 2017, 10:38 PM)

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 12, 2017, 7:58 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #18 of 29 (1550 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
'

Blimey, where to start, DUP/UDA/UVF add in the UDR of old, they all pee'd in the same pot ( i going back to the mid 80's ) - they were never as bad as the IRA or INLA, but were not far behind (perhaps not the UDR, more disciplined regular army)

And equally worrying is the way all moderate parties in NI lost their representation - it's now totally polarised between DUP and Sinn Fein. And you can bet that the latter will be keeping a very close eye on any "favours" done for the DUP by their newly-found status in government; potentially very troublesome indeed.

justAndy
Youth Team Regular

Jun 12, 2017, 8:11 PM

Post #19 of 29 (1540 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] The Queen's Speech [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
'

And equally worrying is the way all moderate parties in NI lost their representation - it's now totally polarised between DUP and Sinn Fein. And you can bet that the latter will be keeping a very close eye on any "favours" done for the DUP by their newly-found status in government; potentially very troublesome indeed.

The SDLP have been fighting a losing battle with SF for some time, likewise with the UUP and DUP. I realise it would be a massive leap, but if SF see DUP winning ground due to backing the Tories, then they could, at a really big stretch take their seats in westminster. That would put the cat amongst the pidgeons

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 12, 2017, 8:16 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #20 of 29 (1538 views)
Shortcut

They may be forced to if there isn't a working assembly in Stormont where they can make themselves heard.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 12, 2017, 8:19 PM

Post #21 of 29 (1536 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
...if SF see DUP winning ground due to backing the Tories, then they could, at a really big stretch take their seats in Westminster...

To do that they would have to swear allegiance to the Crown, thus compromising the very reason for their existence.

justAndy
Youth Team Regular

Jun 12, 2017, 8:21 PM

Post #22 of 29 (1535 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] The Queen's Speech [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
They may be forced to if there isn't a working assembly in Stormont where they can make themselves heard.

DUP have a few balls to juggle. Support Tories, gain concessions, But barter with SF to keep stormont open so they dont tiptoe into westminster and spoil the DUP party.

If direct rule from westminster is re-applied, i can see SF getting very niggly

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 12, 2017, 8:25 PM

Post #23 of 29 (1529 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

If Sinn Fein MPs were to take the parliamentary oath swearing allegiance to the Queen as head of state that would surely be the biggest political U-turn ever

justAndy
Youth Team Regular

Jun 12, 2017, 8:28 PM

Post #24 of 29 (1524 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] The Queen's Speech [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
...if SF see DUP winning ground due to backing the Tories, then they could, at a really big stretch take their seats in Westminster...

To do that they would have to swear allegiance to the Crown, thus compromising the very reason for their existence.

Yes, hence why i suggested it was unlikely. The problem is Stormont. Either they have another election! or come to an agreement of power sharing (not looking likely). If not then it is direct rule from a westminster ruled by the DUP, and that wold surely back SF into a corner

PaulC

Jun 12, 2017, 8:36 PM

Post #25 of 29 (1517 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] The Queen's Speech [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

They could just cross their fingers behind their backs as they made their declaration.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3