Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: International Hopping:
Vilnius, Lithuania

monty
Junior Team Star

May 16, 2017, 9:12 PM

Post #1 of 18 (5663 views)
Shortcut
Vilnius, Lithuania Can't Post or Reply Privately

I posted the report below today in the WDYG section. Vilnius comes highly recommended and I'd be happy to help if anyone is planning it and needs a tip.

I will try to post on the Minsk trip in due course.

FK Zalgiris 1-1 FK Trakai
Lithuanian A Lyga

At the LFF Stadionas (national stadium), Vilnius

Admission: 2.40 Euros

This was part two of a double header featuring Dinamo Minsk who I watched in the Belarusian capital on Sunday (report to follow).

For those who haven't visited Vilnius - I strongly recommend it. The transport links are excellent. It's only a few minute's bus ride (1 Euro) from the airport and once you are here everything is generally walkable. The city is a delight; full of pretty churches, palaces, castles and bars and restaurants galore. It's cheap too.

The LFF stadium is in the southern part of the city centre, a few minutes walk from the main railway station. Tickets were being sold from a car by the turnstile. The ground is very small by national stadium standards - I think Liechtenstein and San Marino's were actually better than this! It's three sided with cover only on the main side.

The crowd was approximately 1,000 with no away support noticeable, despite Trakai only being 25k from Vilnius. The Ultras made a little noise but the atmosphere was generally muted.

Zalgaris took the lead that they deserved on the half hour mark with a low left footed shot from 16 yards. It was no surprise that the league leaders led at the break. It was a surprise, however, that Trakai equalised early in the second period and deserved their point.

I presume that they ramp up the facilities for international games and get temporary amenities. I counted 4 toilets in the away end. England fans will test that to destruction in October!

(This post was edited by monty on May 18, 2017, 7:50 AM)

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

May 16, 2017, 9:53 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #2 of 18 (5643 views)
Shortcut
Re: [monty] Vilnius, Lithuania [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I posted this in the WDYG section, official attendance - 1,750.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 127 / 107 / 20 / 5 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 07 / 12 / 2019 . Belgium top 5 tiers 0-0-0-(0-1-0)-(0-1-1-2) / Holland top 4 tiers - 0-0-0-(0-0) / Lux top 2 tiers 0 -2. England top 10 tiers - 0. Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

monty
Junior Team Star

May 16, 2017, 10:10 PM

Post #3 of 18 (5628 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Vilnius, Lithuania [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I posted this in the WDYG section, official attendance - 1,750.

Thanks for the official record. I was intrigued to see what it would be!

I've had a quick look at a panoramic picture I took during the game and I would say my original guesstimate of 1,000 was generous! One stand was empty, one was virtually empty and the other was no more than half full. There were lots of kids playing on the Astro pitch behind the goal though! Plus a man watching from the woods behind the main stand!

(This post was edited by monty on May 16, 2017, 10:11 PM)

dottirofhod

May 17, 2017, 12:22 AM

Post #4 of 18 (5581 views)
Shortcut

All the action - http://alyga.lt/...ris-trakai-santrauka

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 127 / 107 / 20 / 5 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 07 / 12 / 2019 . Belgium top 5 tiers 0-0-0-(0-1-0)-(0-1-1-2) / Holland top 4 tiers - 0-0-0-(0-0) / Lux top 2 tiers 0 -2. England top 10 tiers - 0. Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

dottirofhod

May 17, 2017, 2:36 AM

Post #5 of 18 (5557 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

This was part two of a double header featuring FC Minsk who I watched in the Belarusian capital on Sunday.
================================================================
F C or Dinamo ?

monty
Junior Team Star

May 17, 2017, 6:26 AM

Post #6 of 18 (5539 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Vilnius, Lithuania [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

This was part two of a double header featuring FC Minsk who I watched in the Belarusian capital on Sunday.
F C or Dinamo ?

Dinamo, at the Traktor Stadium. I was mixing my Minsks.

leohoenig
Administrator

May 17, 2017, 7:59 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #7 of 18 (5525 views)
Shortcut

started to look at the video, Trakai are playing in bright day-glo green with a word starting with ECO written across them
Took me a while to check the sponsor does not own Forest GreenTongue

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Bradshaw
Youth Team Star

May 18, 2017, 3:58 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC., Black Country non-league; The F.A.Vase

Post #8 of 18 (5286 views)
Shortcut

I met up with old friends from Surrey last Thursday for a long weekend of fussball and general merriment in Berlin. After a "catching up" session on Thursday evening we do our own thing come Friday. As a keen gardener I choose to spend the day at the International Gardening Show in the eastern suburbs. Chelsea it is not, but the weather is glorious and it's good value at twenty euros. We convene for our Friday evening match at Tennis Borussia, a club known for it's cosmopolitan and bo-ho support which some might liken to Dulwich Hamlet and Clapton. Tennis are also one of only two clubs I can think of who play in purple (mauve/violet)
Tennis Borussia 3 Grun-Weiss Brieselang 1
Oberliga Nord
Their Mommenstadion (named after Thomas Mommens, a German Nobel prize winner) is a typical continental athletics stadium not too far from the Olympic Stadium. However, to compensate for the running track, good elevated views can be had from the impressive pitch length grandstand. With it's curved broad steps leading from terrace to seats, it appears to be of pre war vintage. It would have been more than adequate to house tonight's 433 fans had the predicted storm materialised. The rain stayed away (That would turn up at Wolfsburg the following day) and the hosts quickly took advantage of Grun Weiss losing a defender to injury after just seven minutes to race to a two goal lead. The relegation threatened visitors rallied in the second half and scored with a fine free kick but Tennis made it 3-1 with a goal from the wonderfully named Cunyet Top. We weren't the only foreigners in attendance. The electronic scoreboard switching from it's default setting of "Keep Calm and thank God it's Friday) to welcoming Rachel and James from FC United of Manchester and a group of fans from Finland. Eight euros (six ermassigt) entrance, one euro for a glossy 16 page programme, three for a beer and 2.50 for bratwurst.
Saturday morning was suitably overcast and gloomy as we headed for Sachsenhausen concentration camp to the north of the city. Though not quite as harrowing as Auschwitz, Sachsenhausen was not an extermination camp but rather one for political prisoners, p.o.w.s, and other enemies of the Nazi state. Nevertheless it is a sombre place. Memorials to the poor souls who perished there continue to be added; the latest, only this month, is dedicated to one Wlodzimierz Dlugoszewski the captain of the Polish rowing team which won bronze medals at the 1936 Berlin Olympics. Sobering stuff indeed.
The football stadium is a good 40 minute walk from the camp so we arrived later than planned and consequently missed the first half of the reserve match between TuS Sachsenhausen and bottom of the table Lichterfelde. The second half was one way traffic, the hosts winning 5-0 against what can only be described as a pub team.
TuS Sachsenhausen 3 Preussen Eberswalde 0
Brandenburgliga
Given their lowly status I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of play and the set up here. The Elgora Stadion is a little gem with two stands, three seats deep only, but running the full length of the pitch. The pitch where the ressies had played earlier is separated from the main playing area by an all weather five a side surface and there is a neat clubhouse. Five euros would have gained you entrance for both games together with a 16 page programme. The hosts sealed a comfortable victory with two goals around the hour mark.
Union Furstenwalde 5 Schoenburg 95 3
Regionalliga Nordost
Sunday's game saw us head east and what a cracker this turned out to be. The Bonava Arena is about 30 minutes walk from the rail station and set in a heavily wooded area. It's just as well the rain clouds blew over as there is no cover whatsoever at this basic ground. Heaven knows what it's like in the winter. Thankfully there is no running track and good views can be had on all sides from terracing about a dozen steps deep. There are also about 200 uncovered seats. Ten euros entrance (eight conc) and a free 16 all colour programme. We were quickly identified as hoppers and given a warm welcome. I was still tucking into my beer and bratwurst when the first goal went in. The visitors quickly levelled but an injury to the Schoenburg keeper saw Union capitalise to lead 4-1 at the break, much to the delight of their flag waving, drum beating ultras. With both clubs in the lower half of the table but safe from relegation there was little but pride to play for; but the visitors showed they had that in abundance when they pulled the score back to 4-3. Desperate defending somehow prevented an equaliser that seemed inevitable until a counter attack ended in a foul, a red card for the perpetrator and a thunderous free kick to make it 5-3. Fine entertainment for the 573 present.

dottirofhod

May 18, 2017, 4:18 PM

Post #9 of 18 (5276 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bradshaw] Vilnius, Lithuania [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Tennis Borussia 3 Grun-Weiss Brieselang 1
Oberliga Nord
Their Mommenstadion (named after Thomas Mommens, a German Nobel prize winner) is a typical continental athletics stadium not too far from the Olympic Stadium.

=========================================================
Such a shame you cant spell the learned scholar / journalists name or stadium name correctly.

Would have loved to have read the rest but have to make a move to the gate.

For you to study - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodor_Mommsen .
=========================================================

(This post was edited by dottirofhod on May 18, 2017, 4:19 PM)

Bradshaw
Youth Team Star

May 18, 2017, 4:58 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC., Black Country non-league; The F.A.Vase

Post #10 of 18 (5259 views)
Shortcut

Sorry, it should have read Theodor Mommsen. I should use Google more often

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jan 21, 2018, 7:25 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #11 of 18 (3396 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bradshaw] Vilnius, Lithuania [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm not sure what all the Mommsen stuff is doing on a Vilnius thread but nevertheless - I'm taking the family for a week's break to Vilnius in early July, probably covering the weekend of the World Cup Final in Moscow.
I guess there's a chance that there will be no domestic football in that time-frame even though it is their regular season then.
Anyone had experience of visiting the Baltic nations during the final stages of a big tournament? I suppose there might be a chance of games going ahead over the weekend so long as they don't clash with the big event itself.........
Any advice gratefully received.

paulh66

Jan 21, 2018, 7:37 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #12 of 18 (3383 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Vilnius, Lithuania [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If don't know the answer but Soccerway allows you to look at match dates in previous years. Go to the country you want, then it'll give you a list of that country's leagues on the left and a little box on the right where you can select the year.

T P Johnson
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 21, 2018, 7:44 PM

Post #13 of 18 (3377 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Vilnius, Lithuania [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Trakai will be playing in the EL Preliminary round on Thursday June 25 July 5. The draw is on June 12. They will be seeded and therefore good chance of playing one of the Welsh Clubs.
CL is on July 10/11 and 17/18 with EL 12 and 19 Draw on June 19
CL Suduva Marijampole
Other EL Stumbras Kaunas Zalgiris Vilnius
Glad you enjoyed visit to Jenner

Tim Johnson

(This post was edited by T P Johnson on Jan 21, 2018, 7:52 PM)

buncranaboy

Jan 21, 2018, 7:49 PM

Post #14 of 18 (3370 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Vilnius, Lithuania [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
If don't know the answer but Soccerway allows you to look at match dates in previous years. Go to the country you want, then it'll give you a list of that country's leagues on the left and a little box on the right where you can select the year.

Thanks Paul - just had a look at the corresponding period in 2014 and it appears that the top division took a break during the WC but the second tier (lord 'elpus) carried on with even a game on the day of the final in relatively distant Klaipeda.

buncranaboy

Jan 21, 2018, 7:52 PM

Post #15 of 18 (3362 views)
Shortcut
Re: [T P Johnson] Vilnius, Lithuania [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Trakai will be playing in the EL Preliminary round on Thursday June 25 July 5. The draw is on June 12. They will be seeded and therefore good chance of playing one of the Welsh Clubs.
CL is on July 10/11 and 17/18 with EL 12 and 19 Draw on June 19
EL Suduva Marijampole
Other EL Stumbras Kaunas Zalgiris Vilnius
Glad you enjoyed visit to Jenner

Tim Johnson

Good stuff Tim - the European games had completely slipped my mind. I assume not all of the above-mentioned are permitted to use their own grounds for Euro games? Trakai would be good as we plan to spend a day in said town visiting the rather splendid castle there.
And yes, good to see you at Jenner, shame about the result!
Pontypridd on Saturday ?

T P Johnson
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 21, 2018, 7:58 PM

Post #16 of 18 (3358 views)
Shortcut

Trakai beat St Johnstone this season and game played at LFF Stadium Vilnius. Crowd on Wiki 2000 however they had won 2-1 in Perth
Not sure yet about Saturday. Depends on weather. Should be a good game.

Tim Johnson

(This post was edited by T P Johnson on Jan 21, 2018, 7:59 PM)

leohoenig
Administrator

Jan 22, 2018, 2:05 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #17 of 18 (3251 views)
Shortcut

I assume not all of the above-mentioned are permitted to use their own grounds for Euro games? Trakai would be good as we plan to spend a day in said town visiting the rather splendid castle there.

I think Trakai have not been able to use their own ground in the league.
The castle is splendid - really worth the trip.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

dottirofhod

Jan 22, 2018, 3:17 AM

Post #18 of 18 (3233 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Vilnius, Lithuania [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

1) I think Trakai have not been able to use their own ground in the league.

2)The castle is splendid - really worth the trip.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Inded , but use the indoor Vilnius Sportima in bad weather , sure it wont be needed in July.

-

2) Indeed -

(This post was edited by dottirofhod on Jan 22, 2018, 3:21 AM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3