Home: Non-League Football Discussion: General Discussion:
Workington AFC - Borough Park

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

London Harrier
First Team Star

Jun 10, 2019, 1:04 PM

Post #76 of 82 (2609 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Workington AFC - Borough Park [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
It seems Allerdale Council will make on June 28 a decision as to whether or not the new stadium (along with its various non-sporting elements) goes ahead.

Derwent Park is now without grass. Seed for the new pitch is to be laid imminently (possibly even as I type this). The recent wet weather has delayed things, it would appear.

Meanwhile, organisers of the autumn 2021 rugby league World Cup have confirmed games allocated to Workington will be moved outside Cumbria if the new stadium isn't built.

If the new stadium doesn't go ahead, are Workington staying put? Or will there be playing somewhere else next season whatever happens?

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 10, 2019, 2:00 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #77 of 82 (2521 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Workington AFC - Borough Park [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
It seems Allerdale Council will make on June 28 a decision as to whether or not the new stadium (along with its various non-sporting elements) goes ahead.

Derwent Park is now without grass. Seed for the new pitch is to be laid imminently (possibly even as I type this). The recent wet weather has delayed things, it would appear.

Meanwhile, organisers of the autumn 2021 rugby league World Cup have confirmed games allocated to Workington will be moved outside Cumbria if the new stadium isn't built.

If the new stadium doesn't go ahead, are Workington staying put? Or will there be playing somewhere else next season whatever happens?

Given Workington Town RLFC have gone to the trouble of digging up and relaying their pitch, in the process removing the speedway track to ensure the pitch is wide enough for the level of football at which Workington FC play, I'd be amazed if Reds (whatever the new stadium decision) spend next season anywhere other than Derwent Park. Allerdale Council-appointed contractors are doing the work, I gather. There seem to be doubts over whether Borough Park will get another safety certificate. I'll be going across to Workington on Sunday, for the Workington Town-Coventry Bears rugby league game at Borough Park, and will have a chat with an ex-colleague who'll have a pretty good idea what's going on. Incidentally, it appears Reds considered the possibility of playing at the Ellis Sports Ground, home to Workington RUFC, but the facilities fell short of 'football standards', notably the distance between dressing rooms and pitch.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Jun 10, 2019, 2:02 PM)

Workington FC
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 11, 2019, 12:03 PM

Team(s): Workington Reds, St Ives Roosters RLFC

Post #78 of 82 (2186 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Workington AFC - Borough Park [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

At the divided Workington AFC we have two camps - pro and against a new stadium. The old guard seem to think that they can go it alone if the new stadium does not come to fruition. The pro stadium supporters are holding a pop up stadium event to show their support for the development:

No one knows what is going to happen but I would not be surprised to see Workington AFC relocated permanently to Derwent Park and no new facility built.
If a new stadium is built it has been mentioned that it would be exactly the same as Salford FC's stadium development at a cost of 5 million.

Mike S
Reserve Team Regular

Jun 12, 2019, 9:21 PM

Post #79 of 82 (1560 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Workington FC] Workington AFC - Borough Park [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Workington v Oldham also now showing as Borough Park

Finalcountdown
Junior Team Sub

Jun 14, 2019, 12:38 PM

Post #80 of 82 (889 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mike S] Workington AFC - Borough Park [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Town pitch was only seeded last week so would say Oldham match will definitely be at borough park next week,rugby posts took over yesterday and will be fixed up today.Some good photos in today's local paper of previous rugby at borough park,really looking forward to this was only 17 last time they played there so feel like a kid again

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 15, 2019, 9:12 AM

Post #81 of 82 (638 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Workington FC] Workington AFC - Borough Park [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
At the divided Workington AFC we have two camps - pro and against a new stadium. The old guard seem to think that they can go it alone if the new stadium does not come to fruition. The pro stadium supporters are holding a pop up stadium event to show their support for the development:

No one knows what is going to happen but I would not be surprised to see Workington AFC relocated permanently to Derwent Park and no new facility built.
If a new stadium is built it has been mentioned that it would be exactly the same as Salford FC's stadium development at a cost of 5 million.

Reds seem happy with the response:

http://www.workingtonafc.com/...XQRKY0GV0c4.facebook

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 17, 2019, 4:11 PM

Post #82 of 82 (251 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Finalcountdown] Workington AFC - Borough Park [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Town pitch was only seeded last week so would say Oldham match will definitely be at borough park next week,rugby posts took over yesterday and will be fixed up today.Some good photos in today's local paper of previous rugby at borough park,really looking forward to this was only 17 last time they played there so feel like a kid again

I trust you enjoyed revisiting childhood. In the unlikely event there are posters/lurkers who don't frequent the Other Sports section, I'll say yesterday's rugby league game at Borough Park attracted a crowd of 895 (Workington Town beat Coventry Bears 54-16). Town have confirmed Borough Park will also stage Sunday's (23/6) game against Oldham. Popped into Derwent Park before the Town-Coventry game. Contractors were hard at work (on a Sunday!). The pitch remains grass-free. The recent rains have put things behind schedule hence the Oldham fixture going to Borough Park. The Town officials I spoke to were confident Allerdale Council will give the new stadium the go-ahead (indeed, one claimed the decision has been made already). The Reds people I spoke to simply want a decision, one way or the other, because, as it stands (or falls down), Borough Park won't get another safety certificate - and the new season is looming. Town are now predicting a 1,000-plus attendance for the Oldham match.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Jun 17, 2019, 4:13 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3