First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Fatboyfat
Reserve Team Star

Feb 23, 2017, 11:09 AM

Post #1 of 51 (12749 views)
Shortcut
     Access problems   or Reply Privately

Technical help required please!

I am no longer able to get in to the site on my iPad, with a 'reader mode available' message coming up when I try.

Still working perfectly on my laptop and iphone, so any suggestions of how to rectify the iPad problem, please?

nico
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 23, 2017, 12:00 PM

Team(s): SV Schadenfreude

Post #2 of 51 (12736 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Fatboyfat] Access problems [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Technical help required please!

I am no longer able to get in to the site on my iPad, with a 'reader mode available' message coming up when I try.

Still working perfectly on my laptop and iphone, so any suggestions of how to rectify the iPad problem, please?

Ditto.

One moment's high and glory rolls on by

steve walker
Administrator

Feb 24, 2017, 8:56 AM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 51 (12626 views)
Shortcut

Sorry I don't have access to a ipad or a i-anything so I can't test this.
I should add that nothing has changed here so if Apple have upgraded or changed something that is causing a problem then the first stop would be to find out what that change was.

scottywalds
First Team Star

Feb 24, 2017, 12:37 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #4 of 51 (12587 views)
Shortcut

Which browser are you using? Default would be Safari, but you can install Chrome and Firefox too.

Fatboyfat
Reserve Team Star

Feb 24, 2017, 12:43 PM

Post #5 of 51 (12584 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [scottywalds] Access problems [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Which browser are you using? Default would be Safari, but you can install Chrome and Firefox too.

I am using Safari myself. Any suggestions on how to overcome this problem?

scottywalds
First Team Star

Feb 24, 2017, 7:54 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #6 of 51 (12519 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

I am using Safari myself. Any suggestions on how to overcome this problem?

I just tried with Safari on my Iphone and ticking Do not use cookies worked for me

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Feb 24, 2017, 8:05 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #7 of 51 (12515 views)
Shortcut

About a month ago I started having problems navigating around the site using Safari on the iPad. No error messages though, so your problem might be to do with an Apple update. Maybe try resetting it?

My issue seemed to be related to slow-loading adverts, which meant I had to wait a while (20-30 seconds at a guess) before being able to click through from the forum home page. This still happens from time to time using Safari so I tend to come on here through Adblock browser now when using the iPad.

Fatboyfat
Reserve Team Star

Feb 24, 2017, 9:25 PM

Post #8 of 51 (12496 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [paulh66] Access problems [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

In Reply To
About a month ago I started having problems navigating around the site using Safari on the iPad. No error messages though, so your problem might be to do with an Apple update. Maybe try resetting it?

That was good advice, Paul. I pushed the reset button and everything is now working perfectly again.

northstandexile
First Team Regular

Feb 27, 2017, 9:51 AM

Team(s): Mansfield Town

Post #9 of 51 (12319 views)
Shortcut

Can't access the board using the I-pad. It loads half a page and then just freezes. Ok on PC though.

paulh66

Feb 27, 2017, 10:11 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #10 of 51 (12315 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [northstandexile] Access problems [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Can't access the board using the I-pad. It loads half a page and then just freezes. Ok on PC though.

That's one of the problems I also encountered trying to access through safari on the iPad. No problems accessing the forum though the Adblock browser on the iPad, though.

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Feb 27, 2017, 11:46 PM)

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 27, 2017, 11:36 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #11 of 51 (12237 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [northstandexile] Access problems [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Same problem for me on iPad, not all the time but often enough to be a problem. Ok on PC and iPhone though.

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

Fatboyfat
Reserve Team Star

Feb 28, 2017, 11:58 AM

Post #12 of 51 (12159 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Steveb] Access problems [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Same problem for me on iPad, not all the time but often enough to be a problem. Ok on PC and iPhone though.

As I started this thread off, I thought I would update my own situation. After I pressed the reset button as suggested a few posts up, everything worked perfectly again....for about 20 minutes! Then the familiar loading half a page before freezing returned. I noticed it had now spread to other sites I use as well, such as the Reading Chronicle online newspaper.

The solution came in the post from PaulH66 about Adblock browser. I have downloaded this, and all previously difficult sites are now running perfectly through this browser. Thank you PaulH66!

steve walker
Administrator

Feb 28, 2017, 6:04 PM

Team(s):

Post #13 of 51 (12101 views)
Shortcut

Glad you found a solution.
I have mixed feelings about ad blockers. On the one hand it's a sure fire way to start killing off free content on the internet. On the other hand some sites take the pee with intrusive ads everywhere that deserve to be blocked with regional newspapers probably being amongst the worst.
Luckily for NLM some very generous people have donated towards the cost of keeping the site online so that the content remains free for everyone else... with or without the ads.

paulh66

Mar 1, 2017, 12:52 AM

Post #14 of 51 (12038 views)
Shortcut

Cheers Fatboyfat.
Seems to me it's to do with the iPad software. Things went a bit haywire for me recently after I installed an Apple update, and researching that online came up with the solution of a reset (amazing how often that is the suggested solution to all sorts of problems!) But the slow/non-loading seemed tied in the with the adverts, which is why I just tried the Adblock browser as an experiment to see if that was the case.
If it's affecting other sites too, it seems odd that Apple wouldn't have ironed out the glitch as I can't see why they'd want to have a problem with sites which host adverts.

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 3, 2017, 8:37 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #15 of 51 (11785 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Steveb] Access problems [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Same here on ipad with chrome. Safari is fine. I'm guessing an ad is causing the problem. There is no adblocker available for Chrome on ipad whereas Safari with adblocker is OK.

Mark
Reserve Team Sub

Mar 3, 2017, 11:26 PM

Post #16 of 51 (11746 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [PaulC] Access problems [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

Similar problems for me. Safari on the iPhone is fine but the site is unusable with Safari on the Mac. Pages either won't load or only half a page loads.

ictoan
First Team Regular

Mar 4, 2017, 10:53 AM

Team(s):

Post #17 of 51 (11672 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [Mark] Access problems [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

I've been using Safari (with an Ad blocker) on my Mac computer all the years I have been a member. I have had satisfactory access apart from a very occasional blank page being displayed which is usually cured by going back to the index and trying again.

There 'Ant no place like Sussex, until you goes above, 'Cause Sussex will be Sussex and Sussex wunt be druv.

The North begins at Gatwick.

villan
First Team Star

May 6, 2017, 2:35 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa-Newport County-

Post #18 of 51 (10297 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [steve walker] Access problems [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

Hi Steve. I have been unable to connect with site all week from my usual internet explorer browser as I keep receiving error message 413 ENTITY REQUEST TOO LARGE. After getting advice the only way I have now got through is downloading a different browser. Any idea why this has happened?

End 2018-19, Total Grounds 1427

New grounds 2019-20. 4

steve walker
Administrator

May 6, 2017, 2:51 PM

Team(s):

Post #19 of 51 (10290 views)
Shortcut
     Re: [villan] Access problems [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

I had never heard of this error before so had to do some googling. The definition:

"A 413 request entity too large error occurs when a request made from a client is too large to be processed by the web server. If your web server is setting a particular HTTP request size limit, clients may come across a 413 request entity too large response. An example request, that may cause this error would be if a client was trying to upload a large file to the server (e.g. a large media file)."

.... and the causes:
  • "Virus or malware infection that has corrupted or taken control your internet browser.
  • Corruption in Windows registry from a recent Windows-related software change (install or uninstall).
  • An external rogue program has maliciously infected browser-related files.

• Your internet browser can display Error 413 as a result of malware infection. These malicious problems can cause your internet browser to behave in very undesirable ways and cause Windows registry corruption, creating even more annoying error messages."

So yes a different browser would do the trick.

villan
    First Team Star

May 6, 2017, 3:28 PM

Team(s): Aston Villa-Newport County-

Post #20 of 51 (10282 views)
    Shortcut

It only happened when trying to access this site though????

End 2018-19, Total Grounds 1427

New grounds 2019-20. 4

steve walker
    Administrator

May 6, 2017, 7:41 PM

Team(s):

Post #21 of 51 (10257 views)
    Shortcut
         Re: [villan] Access problems [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

Perhaps this site has better security than others? I really don't know, the point is it is a browser problem from what I can gather and not a site problem.

Ropemaker
    Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 25, 2017, 3:48 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #22 of 51 (7987 views)
    Shortcut

My access problem is that I sometimes get a plain white screen when I attempt to go from one page to another on the site. It could happen anywhere, going to "Main Index", trying to view a thread, previewing a post etc. etc.

Going back and trying again seems to work eventually when this occurs. It's just annoying

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

ictoan
    First Team Regular

Jun 25, 2017, 7:03 PM

Team(s):

Post #23 of 51 (7963 views)
    Shortcut
         Re: [Ropemaker] Access problems [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

I am having the same problem and even when working correctly loading is very slow. The slow speed of loading is not a problem with other web sites.

There 'Ant no place like Sussex, until you goes above, 'Cause Sussex will be Sussex and Sussex wunt be druv.

The North begins at Gatwick.

(This post was edited by ictoan on Jun 25, 2017, 7:08 PM)

paulh66

Jun 25, 2017, 7:53 PM

Post #24 of 51 (7948 views)
    Shortcut
         Re: [ictoan] Access problems [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

In Reply To
    I am having the same problem and even when working correctly loading is very slow. The slow speed of loading is not a problem with other web sites.

Me too. The white screen is similar to the problem that only typically occurred at around 1.30am in the early hours (mentioned recently in another thread on this section). I've noticed it creeping in a bit more in recent days but today, coupled with the slow loading, has been particularly bad.

Steveb
    Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 25, 2017, 7:57 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #25 of 51 (7946 views)
    Shortcut
         Re: [paulh66] Access problems [In reply to]   or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Me too. The white screen is similar to the problem that only typically occurred at around 1.30am in the early hours (mentioned recently in another thread on this section). I've noticed it creeping in a bit more in recent days but today, coupled with the slow loading, has been particularly bad.

Ditto

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3