Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
memories of a teenager

southend statto
First Team Star

Aug 15, 2016, 9:59 PM

Team(s): most of my local sides

Post #1 of 5 (4248 views)
Shortcut
memories of a teenager Can't Post or Reply Privately

watching football as a young teen saw a pretty regular pattern.
Mondays would be spent at either Southend United or Dagenham FC, Tuesdays at Grays Athletic (sitting in that great old stand, until it burnt down) or Rainham Town - with occasional visits to Tilbury; Wednesday was Bowers United, not much in the way of football on a Thursday in those days, so Friday was again Southend United - and in the summer Hackney Hawks Speedway. Saturday was anywhere of course - although quite a few were spent at Canvey Island FC, Leytonstone FC or Orient FC.

And all those defunct competitions I used to watch matches in - Essex Floodlight Competition, Essex Elizabethan Trophy, Essex Thames-side Trophy, Eastern Floodlight Competition, East Anglian Cup etc.

ah, memories

(This post was edited by southend statto on Aug 18, 2016, 1:10 PM)

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 15, 2016, 10:35 PM

Post #2 of 5 (4204 views)
Shortcut
Re: [southend statto] memories of a teenager [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

For me it was Belle Vue on a Friday night (quite often for home games) otherwise it would be Saturday. On Sunday I would be on Doncaster Racecourse morning and afternoon for a couple of Sunday league games. A ball was also taken so my friend and I could have a kickabout while the nets were up once games had finished. The rest of the week there wasn't any football to watch, unless Rovers had a midweek home game. I couldn't do away games back then, we couldn't afford it, so Autumn and Spring evenings would be spent outside playing football with the other kids in the street

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

sandhurstbee
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 16, 2016, 1:19 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #3 of 5 (3916 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] memories of a teenager [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
For me it was Belle Vue on a Friday night (quite often for home games) otherwise it would be Saturday. On Sunday I would be on Doncaster Racecourse morning and afternoon for a couple of Sunday league games. A ball was also taken so my friend and I could have a kickabout while the nets were up once games had finished. The rest of the week there wasn't any football to watch, unless Rovers had a midweek home game. I couldn't do away games back then, we couldn't afford it, so Autumn and Spring evenings would be spent outside playing football with the other kids in the street

At my age my memories as a teenager revolve around the fairer sex and missed opportunities. Still I saw plenty of Tarts at Brentford in those days Wink

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

acmold

Aug 16, 2016, 1:36 PM

Post #4 of 5 (3889 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] memories of a teenager [In reply to] Can't Post or

Saturday's were usually at The Manor for Oxford United in those days 1st team one week Reserves the next. If no game up the hill I would go to Oxford City and occasional visits to Witney. Midweek was who ever was at home. Thursday was Speedway in the summer the Rebels at first before the "correct" name of Cheetahs was reintroduced. When I got a little older a few OUFC aways games and neutral visits to league grounds and local non league like the Abingdon's, Banbury, Didcot and Pressed Steel.

garethwrexy

Aug 19, 2016, 4:59 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #5 of 5 (3561 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] memories of a teenager [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My memories when was teenager watching dulwich hamlet and somtimes Wrexham !

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3