Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

  Main Index MAIN
Search Posts SEARCH
Who's Online WHO'S
Log in LOG


Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Tuesday 12th April


Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 12, 2016, 7:51 PM

Posts: 14497

Post #1 of 1 (1797 views)
     Tuesday 12th April   or

Oxford United Youth (1) 3

MK Dons Youth (1) 2

Youth Alliance Merit League Two

@ Abingdon United

Att 59

A Tweet this morning revealed the above game and stated it was more or less the championship decider in this section of the youth alliance. It also said it was free to go in and a warm welcome would be awaiting everyone as usual at Northcourt Road. Sadly no one had told Abingdon United that as the clubhouse which was open for tea and coffee before the game remained closed through out and the tea bar never saw the light of day. Shame really as the crowd present matched that of what Abingdon get at home games and as it was a 1pm kick-off plenty of those present would have purchased food, certainly from the comments about lack of it they would have done. The staff were all there before the game but seemed to disappear on kick-off. In fact a number of the OUFC players and officials seemed to think everything should be open.

The game itself was quite good, Oxford were top and MK Dons second. Oxford always had a bit to much for the Dons. They took and early lead a Shandon Baptiste diving header. Dons equalised just before the break. The game had started in reasonable weather but just before half-time the heavens opened and the rain came down.

The second period started in the rain but this was soon replaced with the Sun which was accompanied by large claps of thunder and a pitch black sky in the background. Oxford were on top in the second period and scored twice more through two Canice Carroll penalties. Oxford should have added a few more but a number of goal line clearances kept the scored down. In injury time MK Dons got a penalty and made it 3-2. Oxford held on for a couple of minutes to secure a win. Oxford can now only be overtaken by Cambidge United who have to win all three of their remaining games and hope that Oxford lose their two remaining fixtures.

There were three officials on the game though to be honest the referee was not very good far to inconsistent. At times he was giving fouls for virtually any contact while at other times he waived play on when players were being pulled back, twice this happened in the last few minute once when a player was through one one on goal. Also he did not take any decisions from his linos other than for offsides and throw ins. As I was leaving I'm sure I recognised one of the linos and if it was who I thought it was he is a very respected referee of many years standing.

I was hungry by the end of the game so I popped into a pub at Wootton & Dry Sandford as I entered the car park I noticed thick layer of ice on the ground, the manageress said they had been subject to the most violent of hail storms.

When I got home I found my road had been cordoned off by the police and when eventually getting to my home I chatted to my neighbour who said we had only had a brief shower all afternoon but there had been a large electrical storm in the distance.


free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3