Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Other British Isles Football:
Port Talbot Town Betting Scandal

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Apr 11, 2016, 1:08 PM

Post #1 of 109 (27350 views)
Shortcut
Port Talbot Town Betting Scandal Can't Post or Reply Privately

As no doubt will have been seen, Port Talbot Town have lost their last two matches 7-0 and 5-0.

The story behind these defeats lies, once again, in players betting against their team.

There are three main culprits (alas, I won't give names) and one of them, in his stupidity, sent a Twitter photo of his betting slip to the player of another club who immediately showed it to his manager.

The Rhyl chairman, who said: "We could have won 10-0," has reported the matter to the secretary of the Welsh Premier League.

The manager, who was shown the betting slip, has also put in a complaint to the WPL.

The chairman of Port Talbot is investigating both match results.

Don't hold your breath for anything to be done. These things are usually swept under the carpet.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 11, 2016, 1:52 PM

Post #2 of 109 (27275 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] Port Talbot Town Betting Scandal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If these allegations are true then surely it is a police matter and not solely in the hands of the WPL or Welsh FA.

The feeling of utter devastation when you pick up your mug and realise you already finished your tea.

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Apr 11, 2016, 1:55 PM

Post #3 of 109 (27267 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Port Talbot Town Betting Scandal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The betting company is Bet365

So it should be easy to confirm what has been written.

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Apr 12, 2016, 11:54 AM

Post #4 of 109 (26907 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tykeoldboy] Port Talbot Town Betting Scandal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The whole situation is getting worse by the hour. There are now eight Port Talbot players who have confessed to betting on their games. The reason most have come forward is that the club are threatening to call in the police with the accusation being one of match fixing.

The stupid players not only used their own names when placing bets but some even kept the betting slips, some of which have been handed to an ex-manager.

The FAW and Welsh Premier League are now investigating. The compliance officer is due to meet club officials later today. A meeting of the players has been called for tomorrow evening. The feeling from the PTT chairman is that the players will be suspended. Therefore a youth team will face Bangor City on Saturday.

It is now likely that PTT will not get a domestic licence to play in the WPL. Therefore, the other southern club in a relegation position, Haverfordwest County, could be reprieved.

Counting Crows
Youth Team Star

Apr 12, 2016, 12:54 PM

Team(s): Cwmbrn Town

Post #5 of 109 (26852 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] Port Talbot Town Betting Scandal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This is absolutely awful! If players have been found to be cheating then they should be banned for life in my opinion.

The PTT fans don't deserve this - some of the most vociferous in the league. The players should be ashamed of themselves.

Haverfordwest would only be reprieved if they finish above Rhyl though...?

www.cwmbrantownafc.co.uk
https://twitter.com/#!/CwmbranTown

gcnc
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 12, 2016, 3:39 PM

Team(s): Newport County

Post #6 of 109 (26757 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Counting Crows] Port Talbot Town Betting Scandal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Haverfordwest would only be reprieved if they finish above Rhyl though...?

That is how I understand it. At present both Haverfordwest and Port Talbot would drop into the Welsh League.

If Port Talbot Town are forced to field a youth side against Bangor on Saturday, that also has implications for the battle between Bangor City and Carmarthen for the place in the Europa League play-offs.

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Apr 12, 2016, 10:04 PM

Post #7 of 109 (26588 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gcnc] Port Talbot Town Betting Scandal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

gc. That is how I understood it to be but the WPL are anxious to make sure the league has more Southern teams. It was discussed at the last AGM and passed to the WPL Panel to decide. They never issue minutes so I have no idea what was decided. Whatever it was the FAW automatically agree with it.

As things stand today it will be Carmarthen and Barry from the South next season.

I'm so glad I'm out of it.

gcnc

Apr 12, 2016, 11:04 PM

Post #8 of 109 (26537 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
gc. That is how I understood it to be but the WPL are anxious to make sure the league has more Southern teams. It was discussed at the last AGM and passed to the WPL Panel to decide. They never issue minutes so I have no idea what was decided. Whatever it was the FAW automatically agree with it.

Surely that cannot be the case! How would that work out if Port Talbot and Haverfordwest had filled the bottom two places anyway? Would they have relegated the northern side that finished lowest?

Either way it looks like we're in for the usual summer excitement of appeals, counter appeals, threatened legal action and other associated shenanigans!

buckielugger
Youth Team Star

Apr 13, 2016, 1:58 AM

Team(s):

Post #9 of 109 (26484 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Counting Crows] Port Talbot Town Betting Scandal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

How low might PTT be relegated if allegations proven ?
Would there be penalties for the club or just the players involved ?

And wonder if any players who may be involved also work at steel works..and so could be heading for losing two jobs each....

And on the other point of discussion, it would be utterly ludicrous to relegate teams from WPL on basis of geography. It's supposed to be a national league so any shenanigans of the kind muted would be bizarre even for the welsh fa.

gcnc

Apr 13, 2016, 8:13 AM

Post #10 of 109 (26410 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buckielugger] Port Talbot Town Betting Scandal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
How low might PTT be relegated if allegations proven ?
Would there be penalties for the club or just the players involved ?

And wonder if any players who may be involved also work at steel works..and so could be heading for losing two jobs each....

And on the other point of discussion, it would be utterly ludicrous to relegate teams from WPL on basis of geography. It's supposed to be a national league so any shenanigans of the kind muted would be bizarre even for the welsh fa.

I love it when posters use that phrase Smile The Welsh FA never cease to surprise us when it comes to 'bizarre', so it'll probably happen!

buckielugger's point about the steel works is a very relevant one. Since the demise of the coal industry it would be hard to point to any town of a similar size to PT that is so utterly dependent on one employer. If the steel works goes, there really will be very little money in the town. Even if the players don't lose their jobs, many of the fans will, and as Counting Crows has pointed out, they are some of the best in the Welsh Premier. They certainly don't deserve this on top.

Interesting to see that the PT fans on their Twitter account are calling for a silent protest at the match on Saturday.

Dave A
Junior Team Sub

Apr 13, 2016, 9:21 AM

Team(s): Rhyl, Wales, Ellesmere Rangers

Post #11 of 109 (26361 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gcnc] Port Talbot Town Betting Scandal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Rhyl don't want to stay up, the club is more or less being prepared for the Cymru Alliance next season.

We know we're not in a position to compete for the European spots and without that the treks down to West Wales lose their appeal for most fans, who are looking forward to local derbies at Prestatyn, Denbigh, Holywell and the like.

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Apr 13, 2016, 11:29 AM

Post #12 of 109 (26302 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave A] Port Talbot Town Betting Scandal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

What is now so bizarre is that the WPL say they can't start an investigation unless they get a complaint sent to them in letter form.

Most odd

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 13, 2016, 11:42 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #13 of 109 (26289 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
What is now so bizarre is that the WPL say they can't start an investigation unless they get a complaint sent to them in letter form.

Most odd

Why is that bizarre?

gcnc

Apr 13, 2016, 12:23 PM

Post #14 of 109 (26263 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Port Talbot Town Betting Scandal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Story now being reported more widely

http://welsh-premier.com/...-match-fixing-claims

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Apr 13, 2016, 2:28 PM

Post #15 of 109 (26111 views)
Shortcut

I gather that letters regarding the match fixing are now on their way to the FAW from Port Talbot.

gcnc

Apr 13, 2016, 8:48 PM

Post #16 of 109 (25809 views)
Shortcut

Statement on FAW website as follows;

STATEMENT CONCERNING ALLEGED BREACH OF FAW BETTING AND INTEGRITY RULES

The FAW is currently investigating an alleged breach of its Betting and Integrity Rules.

The Football Association of Wales (FAW) is currently investigating allegations in relation to an alleged breach of its Betting and Integrity Rules concerning Port Talbot Town Football Club.

The FAW is liaising with the relevant authorities with regards to this matter and Port Talbot Town are co-operating with the investigation.

Contrary to some media reports, the FAW would like to confirm that it is not investigating suspicious betting patterns concerning a Welsh Premier League match. At this stage, the investigation concerns a breach of the FAWs Betting and Integrity Rules.

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Apr 14, 2016, 9:52 AM

Post #17 of 109 (25548 views)
Shortcut

Good old FAW. Never give the truth away.

The meeting at Port Talbot last night saw the club's solicitor in attendance, which is unusual for a team meeting.

The players concerned all went into denial mode even after betting slips were produced.

Because of this the club has no choice but to let them play on Saturday.

The manager, Andy Dyer, who knows the truth, handed in his resignation. He was persuaded by the chairman to keep a presence at the club. Therefore, the manager will stand in the dugout on Saturday. Nothing else.

His problem is also that one of the betting players works for his company !

The club's owner has stated: "I'm not putting another penny into this club and I want my loan of 100,000 returned to me."

This would mean Port Talbot not getting a licence to play in the WPL.

I am quite willing to name the three ringleaders plus the five others involved in this betting coup but I fear that the mods might not want me to.

gcnc

Apr 14, 2016, 11:16 AM

Post #18 of 109 (25489 views)
Shortcut

No, RS, you had better keep it to yourself, or we'll all end up in the soup.

In retrospect, I can't help wondering whether Dafabet, "Asia's No 1 online betting and gaming site", was the wisest choice when the WPL were looking for a sponsor.

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Apr 14, 2016, 11:52 AM

Post #19 of 109 (25460 views)
Shortcut

There is a court case going on as we speak at Birmingham Crown Court

Delroy Facey is one of the accused.

Port Talbot are mentioned in glowing terms about being a club willing to fix matches

See the Birmingham Mail's website.

Molby
Ballboy/girl

Apr 14, 2016, 2:01 PM

Post #20 of 109 (25360 views)
Shortcut

It is very worrying to think that the allegations made in court today are based around late 2013. Far more to come on this.

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Apr 14, 2016, 2:07 PM

Post #21 of 109 (25344 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Molby] Port Talbot Town Betting Scandal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A lot, lot more to come.

I have been following WPL fixed games for some time, even having been at two of them, explaining to the people I was with as to 'what happens next.'

I have tried without success to explain to WPL officials what was going on and they are just not interested.

A twelve team league is going to produce this problem year on year.

yorkieexile
First Team Star

Apr 14, 2016, 2:28 PM

Team(s): Halifax, Groundhopper

Post #22 of 109 (25313 views)
Shortcut

A twelve team league is going to produce this problem year on year.

Can you please explain why a 12 team league will produce this problem year on year?

As far as I am aware there is no suggestion that it happens in Scotland, where ther are 3 x 10 team divisions and the SPL which also has 12 teams in it

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Apr 14, 2016, 3:55 PM

Post #23 of 109 (25219 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yorkieexile] Port Talbot Town Betting Scandal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If you are coming on this weekend's Hop, and have a spare half an hour, then I will explain it to you.

Colorado
Ballboy/girl

Apr 14, 2016, 4:29 PM

Post #24 of 109 (25190 views)
Shortcut

Afternoon all. I've signed up here purely after reading this thread and it is indeed a sad state of affairs. I've been closely involved with league in various capacities over the years and would like to make a few points.

RS - Much of what you've posted is accurate and true to fact but I really object to your claims suggesting the league weren't interested in any match fixing allegations . The WPL have been fearful of this happening and have been proactive in seeking expert advice prior to this incident and in raising awareness of players' responsibilities. I don't work for the FAW but find it very hard to believe they would reject any information.

Secondly, I can almost certainly confirm that Port Talbot are NOT a club willing to throw a game and comments like that, without any substance (or truth) really don't help matters.

I appreciate your accuracy in what you have posted but I just wanted to make the above clear.

gcnc

Apr 14, 2016, 4:49 PM

Post #25 of 109 (25165 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Colorado] Port Talbot Town Betting Scandal [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Secondly, I can almost certainly confirm that Port Talbot are NOT a club willing to throw a game and comments like that, without any substance (or truth) really don't help matters.

I'm not sure that anyone is suggesting that Port Talbot Town, as a club, are willing to throw matches. What seems to be at question is whether there is a way of thinking endemic among a group of players at the club which will lead to the same result.

As to whether or not RS is right or wrong about how seriously the FAW/WPL treat the issue, and in his defence he has been saying this for a while, perhaps the next few weeks will be a defining moment.

(This post was edited by gcnc on Apr 14, 2016, 5:03 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3