Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non League Football Information: History:
Briggs Sports - Doncaster?

kivo
First Team Regular

Jan 22, 2016, 12:54 PM

Team(s): Kiveton Park, Sheffield Wednesday

Post #1 of 13 (3917 views)
Shortcut
Briggs Sports - Doncaster? Can't Post or Reply Privately

This club played in the Yorkshire League from 1952 to 1957 and I'm led to believe they were from Doncaster - does anyone know where their ground was?

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 22, 2016, 4:23 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #2 of 13 (3844 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kivo] Briggs Sports - Doncaster? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Weren't they from Huddersfield? I'm sure there was a team by that name in the WRCAL about 25 years ago.

nico
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 22, 2016, 4:27 PM

Team(s): SV Schadenfreude

Post #3 of 13 (3844 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kivo] Briggs Sports - Doncaster? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

They were from Donny. Briggs Social FC won the Doncaster Senior League in 1951/52 and entered the Yorkshire Lge the following season under the name Briggs Sports Club http://fchd.info/BRIGGSSC.HTM

Their parent company was Briggs Motor Bodies, who had relocated from bomb-damaged Essex. Their factory was somewhere along Carr Hill / Balby Carr Bank ...plenty of space down there for a private sports ground?!

"In 1953 Ford {Motor Company} bought Briggs Motor Bodies and then {in 1964 ?} sold the Doncaster factory, which made bodies for Javelins and Bradford vans, to International Harvester." http://fchd.info/INTERNAH.HTM

One moment's high and glory rolls on by

kivo
First Team Regular

Jan 22, 2016, 5:29 PM

Post #4 of 13 (3815 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nico] Briggs Sports - Doncaster? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks nico! Were International Harvesters Doncaster based too?

Looking at old maps, I think their pitch might have been here

nico
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 22, 2016, 5:52 PM

Post #5 of 13 (3800 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Yep, they finished 13th/15 in the DSL Premier Division in 1980/81, and folded during season 81/82.

In Reply To

Pretty sure that is the old sports ground of ex-DSL outfit Bridon FC. http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw059551

noprogs
First Team Star

Jan 22, 2016, 6:30 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 13 (3772 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Briggs Sports - Doncaster? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Weren't they from Huddersfield? I'm sure there was a team by that name in the WRCAL about 25 years ago.

Are you thinking of Brook Sports? They were from Batley and original members of the Northern Counties east
There was also Brook Motors from Huddersfield (near Honley), who I think were in the County Am

(This post was edited by noprogs on Jan 22, 2016, 7:01 PM)

kivo
First Team Regular

Jan 22, 2016, 6:38 PM

Post #7 of 13 (3766 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nico] Briggs Sports - Doncaster? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have Briggs Sports in the following - (I've only got back to 1958 DSL tables!)
Yorkshire League - 1952 to 1957
Sheffield Association League - 1957 to 1959

And then International Harvesters (aka Harvesters Rec) -
DSL 2 - ???? to 1960
DSL 1 - 1960 to 1961
DSL 2 - 1961 to 1964
DSL 3 - 1964 to 1967
DSL 2 -1967 to 1970
Yorkshire League - 1970 to 1975
DSL Prem - 1975 to 1981

In 58/59 Briggs were in the Sheff Association League and Harvesters were in the DSL so I'd assume they were separate entities rather than a name change? Merger in 1959 perhaps?

As for the ground, I can't find any others in that area - maybe Briggs, and then Harvesters, shared with Bridon?

(This post was edited by kivo on Jan 22, 2016, 6:39 PM)

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 22, 2016, 7:21 PM

Post #8 of 13 (3738 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Briggs Sports - Doncaster? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Are you thinking of Brook Sports? They were from Batley and original members of the Northern Counties east
There was also Brook Motors from Huddersfield (near Honley), who I think were in the County Am

Probably Motors, so totally wrong. Thanks for the correction. Seem to remember they had a half decent ground with a bit of cover.

nico
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 22, 2016, 7:28 PM

Post #9 of 13 (3729 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
In 58/59 Briggs were in the Sheff Association League and Harvesters were in the DSL so I'd assume they were separate entities rather than a name change? Merger in 1959 perhaps?

Don't think there was a merger, maybe Briggs SC just folded?
Briggs Motor Bodies/Ford employed 1,300 people at their Carr Hill factory in the Fifties but left for smaller premises around 1964, which only needed a workforce of 200. International Harvesters took over the Carr Hill plant and probably took on the 1000+ BMB/Ford workers who were facing redundancy. Whether IH acquired a sports ground as part of the deal, who knows?

In Reply To
As for the ground, I can't find any others in that area - maybe Briggs, and then Harvesters, shared with Bridon?

I would have thought that IH played at Cantley Park, former home of http://fchd.info/CASESP.HTM - now Doncaster Rovers' Training Ground of course.
J.I. Case Company's owners bought IH in the mid-80's so presumably acquired Cantley Park Sports Ground at the same time?

noprogs
First Team Star

Jan 22, 2016, 7:32 PM

Team(s):

Post #10 of 13 (3719 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Briggs Sports - Doncaster? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Probably Motors, so totally wrong. Thanks for the correction. Seem to remember they had a half decent ground with a bit of cover.

They did, and the site,but not the cover, is still in situ. Cover was a bit like a prototype atcost standing, made of wood.

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Jan 27, 2016, 9:04 PM

Post #11 of 13 (3415 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

I always thought that International Harvesters played at Rawdon Meadows ground at Apperley Bridge in Bradford. It's where Bradford City train and where the juniors play. I'm sure I've been told in the past that it was a former Yorkshire league ground.

Minstrite
Youth Team Regular

Jan 31, 2016, 11:10 AM

Team(s): Warminster Town

Post #12 of 13 (3257 views)
Shortcut

Briggs Sports joined the Spartan FL on the 15th June, 1939, and started playing in 1945-1946 season (delay due to WWII). Their last season was 1958-1959. They won Division One in 1946-7 and the Premier Division in 1949-50, 1951-1952 and every season 1955-1959. They later became Ford Sports. In 1953-54, they reached the FA Amateur Cup, Semi-Final, losing to Bishop Auckland at St. James' Park, Newcastle-upon-Tyne before a record attendance of 54,000.

Richard Rundle
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 31, 2016, 12:59 PM

Post #13 of 13 (3237 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Minstrite] Briggs Sports - Doncaster? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Briggs Sports joined the Spartan FL on the 15th June, 1939, and started playing in 1945-1946 season (delay due to WWII). Their last season was 1958-1959. They won Division One in 1946-7 and the Premier Division in 1949-50, 1951-1952 and every season 1955-1959. They later became Ford Sports. In 1953-54, they reached the FA Amateur Cup, Semi-Final, losing to Bishop Auckland at St. James' Park, Newcastle-upon-Tyne before a record attendance of 54,000.

Different Briggs Sports team.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3