British Astronaut

Yatesman
Reserve Team Star

Dec 15, 2015, 8:26 AM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 17 (1938 views)
Shortcut
British Astronaut Can't Post or Reply Privately

Does anyone else find the whole subject crushingly tedious.

I blame the BBC who, once again, proves that no other broadcaster is quite so adept at stretching out an incidental story for hours and hours of stilted, stuttering, repetitive banality.

I realise the BBC likes to own every event in the British calender and then homogenise it into a bland , everyman, uncontroversial, upbeat version of itself ( look at the Olympics, Glastonbury etc etc) but the coverage of this event has been exceptionally vomit inducing.

Any other thoughts?

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 15, 2015, 10:04 AM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #2 of 17 (1873 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yatesman] British Astronaut [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Reading complaints as to how the Bisto is ten pence dearer
in Spennymoor compared to Penzance, might have half the
the country [probably more] thinking that Ground Hoppers
are a suitable case for treatment...

Have to agree with you though re the space thingy as it bores
me totally shitless...still each to their own.

If I ever needed to take an age to get a lifeless place with no
water, then there's always most of inland Yorkshire I suppose..

Play-off programmes wanted: 2004 Basingstoke v Lewes. 2005 Droylsden v Kettering, Maldon v Barking, Maldon v Uxbridge. 2006 Brackley v Marlow, Kendal v Stocksbridge. 2007 Paulton v Taunton, Tooting v Hastings. 2008 Didcot v Oxford City, Tooting v Worthing, Sheffield v Stocksbridge. 2009 East Thurrock v Concord, Ilkeston v Kendal, Nantwich v Guiseley, Stocksbridge v Carlton. 2014 Tiverton v Paulton. 2015 Darlington v Bamber Bridge.

FA Vase semis wanted: 1978 Barton v Hungerford. 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

FA Trophy programmes wanted: 1969-70 Any round from first season. Have many but plenty of gaps still to fill.

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 15, 2015, 10:08 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #3 of 17 (1872 views)
Shortcut

Dont mind the astronaut going but a Stoke flag FFS.

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 132/ 108 / 24(You know my rules) @ 12 /12 /2018.(Only 9 x 0-0's)

Project TFTTUEFAG's2018/19. Clubs 712.Grounds (Variable).
Need - 108 ( 15.2%).

Rob North
First Team Star

Dec 15, 2015, 10:27 AM

Team(s): Didcot Town, Reading

Post #4 of 17 (1850 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] British Astronaut [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Whisper it, but Helen Sharman got there first!

steveking
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 15, 2015, 11:03 AM

Team(s): Ware, Everton, Kingstonian, Leicester, Portsmouth

Post #5 of 17 (1823 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rob North] British Astronaut [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In fact he is the seventh British born astronaut. Maybe I'm too sensitive but it just seems a little humiliating that we are making such a deal of this one so late into the era of human space flight.

Feversham Lens
First Team Star

Dec 15, 2015, 12:49 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #6 of 17 (1768 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] British Astronaut [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Bit rich coming from someone who lives in London - the UK's foremost shit hole, by a considerable margin. And you poor buggers have to pay a premium to be there.

I've just stumbled across a bit of the BBC coverage while having lunch. Dull, dull, dull. Rockets and space travel were distinctly old hat by the early Seventies, when I started primary school. Only the geeks were interested.

For sporting (and other) images, visit https://www.flickr.com/photos/feversham/

Ground/venue totals: Football 900; Rugby Union 263; Rugby League 214; Cricket 125; Speedway 53; Stock Cars 25; Grasstrack 15; Ice Hockey 15; Cycle Speedway 4; Greyhounds 2.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Dec 15, 2015, 12:51 PM)

jon b
First Team Star

Dec 15, 2015, 1:17 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #7 of 17 (1739 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rob North] British Astronaut [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Whisper it, but Helen Sharman got there first!

Nope, shout it, she's a Sheffield lass Cool

May 1991 on a Soviet Union space mission, just months before the Union dissolved.

The Tories kept very quiet about it, perhaps because the Americans hadn't bothered to find an opening for an astronaut from their "special" ally. Or perhaps, after Maggie, the nasty party had had quite enough of tough women Cool

By the way Yorkshire's sopping wet all over at present. Shocked

Eastbourne
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 15, 2015, 1:55 PM

Team(s): Chelsea,Eastbourne clubs

Post #8 of 17 (1719 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] British Astronaut [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Bit rich coming from someone who lives in London - the UK's foremost shit hole, by a considerable margin. And you poor buggers have to pay a premium to be there.

I've just stumbled across a bit of the BBC coverage while having lunch. Dull, dull, dull. Rockets and space travel were distinctly old hat by the early Seventies, when I started primary school. Only the geeks were interested.

Should suit the anorak footballing fraternity down to the ground then!!

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 15, 2015, 2:21 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #9 of 17 (1702 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] British Astronaut [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Wallop! Smile

Play-off programmes wanted: 2004 Basingstoke v Lewes. 2005 Droylsden v Kettering, Maldon v Barking, Maldon v Uxbridge. 2006 Brackley v Marlow, Kendal v Stocksbridge. 2007 Paulton v Taunton, Tooting v Hastings. 2008 Didcot v Oxford City, Tooting v Worthing, Sheffield v Stocksbridge. 2009 East Thurrock v Concord, Ilkeston v Kendal, Nantwich v Guiseley, Stocksbridge v Carlton. 2014 Tiverton v Paulton. 2015 Darlington v Bamber Bridge.

FA Vase semis wanted: 1978 Barton v Hungerford. 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

FA Trophy programmes wanted: 1969-70 Any round from first season. Have many but plenty of gaps still to fill.

greenwood
Reserve Team Sub

Dec 15, 2015, 8:13 PM

Post #10 of 17 (1638 views)
Shortcut

I'm not interested in the ISS but will happily watch any documentary about other planets. There have been suggestions that when and if a manned mission to Mars happens, the crew should include at least one woman, more out of political correctness than anything else. Unfortunately, in order to travel all that way in space (under current technology) the astronauts would need to take regular doses of testosterone in order to prevent muscle wasting. This would mean that any woman on the mission is going to effectively turn into a man by the time they get to Mars. A more realistic space goal for the fairer sex would be for a woman to walk on the moon - probably a Chinese woman I would think, as China is interested in going there.

TempWorksCo
Reserve Team Sub

Dec 15, 2015, 9:05 PM

Team(s):

Post #11 of 17 (1614 views)
Shortcut
Re: [greenwood] British Astronaut [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
There have been suggestions that when and if a manned mission to Mars happens, the crew should include at least one woman, more out of political correctness than anything else. Unfortunately, in order to travel all that way in space (under current technology) the astronauts would need to take regular doses of testosterone in order to prevent muscle wasting. This would mean that any woman on the mission is going to effectively turn into a man by the time they get to Mars.

A job for Diane Abbott.

Grounds visited - A few
Wetherspoons visited - Not many
Ales tasted - Loads

Yatesman
Reserve Team Star

Dec 15, 2015, 9:29 PM

Team(s):

Post #12 of 17 (1588 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TempWorksCo] British Astronaut [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
There have been suggestions that when and if a manned mission to Mars happens, the crew should include at least one woman, more out of political correctness than anything else. Unfortunately, in order to travel all that way in space (under current technology) the astronauts would need to take regular doses of testosterone in order to prevent muscle wasting. This would mean that any woman on the mission is going to effectively turn into a man by the time they get to Mars.

A job for Diane Abbott.

Who would be able to induce the necessary catatonic state amongst the rest of the crew required for such a long journey within 30 minutes of opening her gob!

Isaac

Dec 16, 2015, 12:29 AM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #13 of 17 (1507 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Does anyone else find the whole subject crushingly tedious.

I blame the BBC who, once again, proves that no other broadcaster is quite so adept at stretching out an incidental story for hours and hours of stilted, stuttering, repetitive banality.

I realise the BBC likes to own every event in the British calender and then homogenise it into a bland , everyman, uncontroversial, upbeat version of itself ( look at the Olympics, Glastonbury etc etc) but the coverage of this event has been exceptionally vomit inducing.

Any other thoughts?

I hadn't really taken much notice of it but watched a bit on the local news today and there's certainly plenty of interest in the Chichester area, no I don't find tedious at all in fact it makes a nice change from the usual doom and gloom on the news

bakis
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 16, 2015, 11:03 AM

Team(s): Kidderminster Harriers

Post #14 of 17 (1423 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] British Astronaut [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Considerable coverage is understandable but the BBC does go a bit too far on some of these occasions, this one included.
They've struggled a bit with the location of Westbourne, presumably because it's right on the county boundary, with Emsworth, the nearest town and within easy walking distance, being in Hampshire. 'Near Chichester' is I suppose close enough for a national audience; no doubt the locals will have pointed out to David Shuckman, who described it on the 10pm news as being in Hampshire, the error of his ways.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 17, 2015, 11:24 AM

Post #15 of 17 (1279 views)
Shortcut

Although the subject is international rather than British, the BBC's coverage of the release of a certain film is right up there.

dottirofhod

Dec 17, 2015, 4:08 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #16 of 17 (1205 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] British Astronaut [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Probably be playing Delilah from space as well -
STOKE City will soon be able to look down on every other football club in the world - from a unique vantage point on the International Space Station.
Astronaut Tim Peake, who is the first Briton to be accepted into the European Space Agency, will be heading into space later this year with a special item in tow.
Thanks to the dedication of life-long Potters fan Andy Rushton, from Penkhull, there will be a small flag bearing the Stoke City emblem stowed in Tim's hand luggage.
Tim, from West Sussex, has even promised Andy - who tweeted him repeatedly about the idea - that he will take a picture of the flag from the International Space Station ISS

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 132/ 108 / 24(You know my rules) @ 12 /12 /2018.(Only 9 x 0-0's)

Project TFTTUEFAG's2018/19. Clubs 712.Grounds (Variable).
Need - 108 ( 15.2%).

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 17, 2015, 4:23 PM

Post #17 of 17 (1194 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] British Astronaut [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Although the subject is international rather than British, the BBC's coverage of the release of a certain film is right up there.

And has been joined by the departure of you-know-who.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3