Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Tuesday 24th November 2015

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 24, 2015, 3:53 PM

Post #1 of 39 (11458 views)
Shortcut
Tuesday 24th November 2015 Can't Post or

Blackpool (0) 0
Fleetwood Town (0) 0

North West Youth Alliance

Att 32

@ Squires Gate training ground

Game switched from AFC Blackpool where Blackpool Youth are now playing due to a waterlogged pitch

Good game considering the conditions of wind, sun, hail and the odd shower.

Was a 1pm kick off. Was in Blackpool anyway so a real bonus.

Pitch used at far side of ground from dressing rooms and roped down far side

Dr Love
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 24, 2015, 9:54 PM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #2 of 39 (11260 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Tuesday 24th November 2015 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hartley Wintney 2-3 Badshot Lea
Combined Counties Premier

A fairly easy trip down, despite slight delays due to an accident on the A33. Badshot took an early lead and soon hit the post, before Hartley got going. Just before half time they hit the bar from long range and then again from a penalty, then wasted a one-on-one with the keeper. They did level in injury time and soon took the lead in the second, before hitting the woodwork again. They were made to pay for wasting their chances when two late goals gave Badshot the points. Clear road on the way way, the police just leaving the site of the earlier accident.

Castle
Reserve Team Sub

Nov 24, 2015, 10:25 PM

Team(s): Huncote FC / Porthmadog FC

Post #3 of 39 (11185 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dr Love] Tuesday 24th November 2015 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Leicestershire Challenge Cup

Loughborough University-2 v St Andrews-3

Admission - £5
Programme - £1
Attendance - 58

Things seemed to be all wrapped up after 7 minutes when Andrews took a 2-0 lead. However a comical home goal on 44 minutes got the students back into the game and they then managed to peg the score back to 2-2 just after the hour mark. Andrews then scored the winner with 15 minutes to go and that was that. The best moment of the game came during the 1st half when a ball got stuck in the trees behind the stadium and a Uni sub spent the best part of 20 minutes trying to get it back, only to get himself stuck amongst the sharp branches and that was the last I saw of him.

Sussexhopper
First Team Star

Nov 24, 2015, 10:29 PM

Team(s): Worthing Brighton Burnley

Post #4 of 39 (11178 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Castle] Tuesday 24th November 2015 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pompey 6-0 York
Admission £20
Programme £3
Attendance 13'616

Fancied a change from non league so first visit to Fratton Park since there 1-1 draw with Southampton a few years ago.
The game looked a home banker on paper with York sitting third from bottom and winless under new manager Jackie McNamara. First half Pompey were slightly better and created a few chances but when Jonathan Greening was sent off just before half time that proved a huge turning point and Pompey came out all find blazing in the second half and scored 6 goals in 34 minutes. Quite frankly the York keeper kept the score into single figures as Pompey had 23 shots on goal to Yorks 2.

Tim

Nov 24, 2015, 10:41 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #5 of 39 (11145 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sussexhopper] Tuesday 24th November 2015 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bromsgrove Sporting 4 Malvern Town 1 (Worcestershire Senior Urn QF) Att: 182

Good entertainment this evening at the Victoria Ground. Sporting played some good stuff, and thanks in the main to a fine hat trick from the very impressive Sean Brain, the result was rarely in doubt. Malvern were reduced to ten men 10 minutes after the break and that was pretty much game over. A rather fussy ref prevented the game from flowing as it should have done, particularly in the second half.

The Victoria Ground is looking very neat and tidy these days but is otherwise unchanged since my last visit. Admission was £6, including a free 4 page programme.

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 24, 2015, 10:41 PM

Post #6 of 39 (11145 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sussexhopper] Tuesday 24th November 2015 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Southern Combination League Premier Division
Chichester City 8-0 St Francis Rangers
Admission £5, Prog £1
Tea £1 - slowest service in the history of the world
Att: 43

St Francis continued on their merry way this evening, but for the opening 20 minutes, they gave as good as they got having 2 chances well saved by the home keeper. 2 goals in 2 minutes on the half hour mark killed them off, although they did hit the post just before half time.

2nd half was all one way traffic and if Chichester hadnt kept trying to walk the ball in or the visitors keeper made 4 excellent saves they'd have brought up the 100 conceded tonight, as it is, they're on 96.

Nice to meet up with Hemel Hopper. Ground hasnt changed much over the years but the clubhouse and changing room building is now in use from when I last went. 2 areas of cover either side of the pitch at the turnstile end, with a 4 row stand on the half way line on the far side.

Home by 10:10pm, despite the hoardes coming out of Krap Nottarf

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 24, 2015, 10:50 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #7 of 39 (11105 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] Tuesday 24th November 2015 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

National
Woking 4-1 Tranmere
Att 1,477, adm an eye watering £18, prog £3. I skipped the £7.95 fish and chips and the £2 coffee

I'll focus on the positives - we never gave up and James Norwood scored one of the best individual goals you'll see this season. Sadly that came in the 93rd minute. It'd be nice to think things can't get any worse but we go to Boreham Wood on Saturday....

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Nov 24, 2015, 10:54 PM)

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Nov 24, 2015, 10:50 PM

Post #8 of 39 (11100 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] Tuesday 24th November 2015 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pegasus Juniors 4 Black Country Rangers 3

Old School Lane: West Midlands (Regional) League Premier Division Cup First Round

This fixture originally scheduled to have been played three weeks ago but had to be rescheduled because Black Country Rangers had an FA Vase replay the following evening. Fortunately, the weather had improved over the past few days in these parts, for the match to go ahead without any problems. The hosts went into this evening's cup clash in ninth place in the Premier Division following a 4-2 home victory over Wolverhampton Sporting Community in the league on Saturday afternoon. Black Country Rangers went into the tie three places behind their hosts but had enjoyed an impressive 5-0 win a Smethwick Rangers on the weekend. The two teams had met only ten days ago, also at Old School Lane, when the visitors had recorded an impressive 4-0 victory in their league clash and would certainly gain some confidence for tonight's clash from that result.

The visitors made a strong start as they saw a fourth minute cross from the right headed just wide and then nine minutes later fired wide from 20 yards following a good spell of passing. A Black Country Rangers player prodded wide in the 22nd minute following a teasing cross from the left touchline. Seven minutes later the Pegasus Juniors goalkeeper stood up to make a good save after an opponent latched on to a threaded pass. Despite that pressure, the hosts went ahead in the 39th minute, when captain Sam Pearson latched on to a through ball and rounded the Rangers goalkeeper before turning the ball into an unguarded net. The Hereford club doubled their advantage when the visiting goalkeeper saw an attempted clearance blocked by one of his defenders and Pearson took advantage to find the net. The visitors saw a cross tipped on to the crossbar by the home goalkeeper in the opening minute of the second-half. Pegasus Juniors increased their leading the 51st minute as Pearson turned a defender and squeezed in a low shot to complete his treble. Black Country Rangers pulled a goal back two minutes later when a shot struck the post but the rebound was successfully converted by Chad Birch. The visitors halved the deficit with 20 minutes remaining when a deep free-kick was sliced into the net by a home defender. Pegasus Juniors regained the two-goal advantage when they broke down the right and a low cross was converted by Pearson in the 78th minute. The visitors created a nervy finish for the hosts when a low cross was converted by Birch four minutes later but Black Country Rangers were unable to force an equalising goal.

2015/16 Statistics
Goals: 387
Matches: 89.5
New Grounds: 20

osborne
First Team Sub

Nov 24, 2015, 10:55 PM

Team(s): Arnold Town/ Loughborough Dynamo

Post #9 of 39 (11074 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Tuesday 24th November 2015 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Loughborough University 2 St. Andrews 3
Admission £5/£2
Programme £1
Tea £1
Attendance 58.
I was also at the game (as reported by castle earlier.) His report summed up the game nicely, although I felt St. Andrews should have won by more if they'd have been more positive. Great own goal- one of the best I've seen.

sheffgeoff
First Team Star

Nov 24, 2015, 11:20 PM

Team(s): Colchester United, Stocksbridge Park Steels, Borussia Dortmund & Essex CC

Post #10 of 39 (10982 views)
Shortcut
Re: [osborne] Tuesday 24th November 2015 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sheffield & Hallamshire Senior Cup 3rd Round

Bracken Moor Stocksbridge

Stocksbridge Park Steels 1 (1) Houghton Main 3 (1)

Attendance 56

Admission £5 No Progs Teamsheet Free Hot Drinks £1

Step 7, Houghton Main comfortably beat Step 4, Steels who just were not up for this game ahead of their FA Trophy tie against holders North Ferriby at the weekend. Steels took a 3rd minute lead through Lumsden but Emmett equalised for the visitors 6 minutes before the break, Houghton wanted this win more than their Evo-Stik hosts and two second half goals from man of the match, Kieran Hirst ensured they got it.

youngster
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 24, 2015, 11:39 PM

Team(s):

Post #11 of 39 (10932 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sheffgeoff] Tuesday 24th November 2015 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Oh the highs and lows of this beautiful/horrible (delete as appropriate) game.

Felixstowe 3-3 Bury AET
5-6 pens
Suffolk Premier Cup Q/F
Adm £6
Att 121

When Bury went 3 up after 29 mins we were dead and buried. In the League this season we've conceded 11 goals in 15 games, and to concede 2 from corners was most disappointing, but a goal back just before half time gave us hope. 2nd half as Bury went deeper we got on top and by 80 minutes we were level and dreaming of pulling off a shock. Extra time came and went and then the dreaded penalties. We missed our first and then Bury missed their 3rd, both scored with their 6th attempts before we missed our 7th. Always hard to lose in a shoot out and even harder after you've fought back from 3 down, but that's life.
At least this one didn't hurt as much as my first ever shoot out, 1974 behind the Iron Curtain watching Ipswich lose away to Locomotive Leipzig, that still sticks in the memory, and as I was only a Boy I can recall the tears even now.

(This post was edited by youngster on Nov 24, 2015, 11:49 PM)

Windy
First Team Sub

Nov 24, 2015, 11:50 PM

Team(s):

Post #12 of 39 (10908 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sheffgeoff] Tuesday 24th November 2015 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

UEFA Youth League - Porto Under 19's 0 Dynamo Kiev Under 19's 1 - Admission free - Teamsheet blagged but not freely available - Attendance approx 400
Champions League - Porto 0 Dynamo Kiev 2 - Admission €40 - Programme a sort of monthly mag picked up for free in club shop but mainly focussing on a previous league match - Attendance approx 35,000

An early start from Luton Airport this morning meant I landed before 9.30 in plenty of time for the youth match. The problem was finding it ! Three emails had been sent to Porto and each had been ignored and eventually I found that the match was being played in the middle of nowhere ! It was around 10 kilometres from the nearest station and I was told that three buses would have got me near. So it was a taxi from the nearest station begrudgingly but at least there was free admission, although I somehow landed myself in the section exclusively for away fans. There were only about ten of them so why segregation was needed, I'll never know. Anyway, after a bit of persuasion that I wasn't Russian, common sense prevailed and I was allowed to the main part of the stand.

Kiev needed wins in both matches and they got the youth win courtesy of Olexiy Schcebetun sliding in to meet Viktor Tsygankov's low ball from the right on 69 minutes. The result means that Porto and Kiev both have 7 points going into the last match with Chelsea already qualified.

On to the main event and in the words of Alan Sugar, he would have said about Porto's performance 'it was a bloody shambles' and then fired all 14 players. They were a mess and despite hitting the woodwork twice late in the second half, both times coming off defenders, they were deservedly beaten. The goals came from the penalty spot after 35 minutes when Imbula fouled Rybalka although it might have just been outside the box. Yermolenko stepped up and put the spot kick down the middle. The second was a mistake by Iker Casillas when he made a hash of a Derlis Gonzalez chip and he pushed it into the air with the ball bouncing behind him into the net. As a result, Kiev, Porto and Chelsea are all fighting for the two places going into the final match.

Bed time calls. It's been a long day and this 54 year old is getting up with the times and has used Airbnb for his accommodation tonight.

(This post was edited by Windy on Nov 24, 2015, 11:52 PM)

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 25, 2015, 12:10 AM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #13 of 39 (10858 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Tuesday 24th November 2015 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
National
Woking 4-1 Tranmere
Att 1,477, adm an eye watering £18, prog £3. I skipped the £7.95 fish and chips and the £2 coffee

I'll focus on the positives - we never gave up and James Norwood scored one of the best individual goals you'll see this season. Sadly that came in the 93rd minute. It'd be nice to think things can't get any worse but we go to Boreham Wood on Saturday....

Also at Kingfield. No changes since my last visit for Hayes & Yeading v Darlington in January 2012. Surprised there was no segregation for the visit of an ex league club. Woking's scorers were Dan Holman (2), John Goddard and Cherries loanee Joe Quigley, pick of those was the first in the 27th minute, a good move culminating in Bruno Andrade's right wing cross which Holman headed in. Tranmere look a lifetime away from regaining their football league place, their players were hard to tell apart from the stewards in their high viz kit. Can't see Gary Brabin lasting much longer after this result.

Mek
First Team Star

Nov 25, 2015, 12:14 AM

Team(s):

Post #14 of 39 (10844 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Windy] Tuesday 24th November 2015 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

After Spelthorne's pitch last week scuppered my intended port of call of Camberley this week (the rearranged Spelthorne cup game took priority over the league fixture), a change of plan was needed.
Was still undecided at 6-15pm, then after seeing the Good Doctor's post with the Neue Strasse postponement, decided that sprinting along to Hartley Wintney wasn't worth it and instead chugged down to the Bypass Ground for:

Romsey Town 1-0 Southampton University
Southampton Senior Cup - Adm £5 Tea £1 Prog - no Att - around 35

settled by a goal after 40 mins -mix up in the Uni defence and Hardy scored from about 6-8 yards. Romsey (missing 6 regulars) were well matched by the Uni (who were very skilful and played a good passing game). They created several excellent chances but could not convert - their best, with 5 minutes to go, a volley from the edge of the 6 yard box which came back off the crossbar. As a neutral, I thought this was a good game to watch.
Amongst the attendees was the Romsey 'diehard', who was vocally encouraging his team on (loudly) throughout the game.

(This post was edited by Mek on Nov 25, 2015, 12:19 AM)

hemelhopper
First Team Star

Nov 25, 2015, 1:04 AM

Team(s): Hemel Hempstead Town FC, Trust Portsmouth FC and The Reds of Cincinnati

Post #15 of 39 (10751 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Admission £5, Prog £1

Nice to meet up with Hemel Hopper.

.. and yes I was also at this one (change of plan due to AFC Hayes postponement) .. travelling another twenty minutes or so further than Splodge, along the M27 and M3 of the “south coast” .. whose Teams seemed to be scoring for fun this evening .. eight here at Oaklands Park, six down the road at Fratton, another seven up at Histon by Poole .. and even Boro treated the friendly folk of St Albans to a three goal display .. quite an evening for those out and about.

.. and indeed as well for me .. as it was a pleasure to meet up with one of the best there is, in this part of the world .. Non League Football is in good hands with Splodge .. his total commitment to Fareham Town Football Club is second to none .. in fact it was his red woolly “club” hat that gave him away this night .. ending up with the weird site of a Tudor woolly hat in conversation with Creeksiders woolly hat .. I guess these things happen when you least expect it .. Wink

As for the game .. well I hoped we’d get to see a St Francis goal .. to double their tally for the season .. but no .. perhaps another day and sometime soon .. as a goal difference of now minus 95 it’s bordering on the suicidal and can’t be much fun .. but keep going .. well done for the commitment and never stop playing attitude your giving Rangers.

.. and the Lillywhites ? .. well they have some gems amongst them .. the tall silky Jimmy Wilde up front can strut some .. as he scored two with a flick and a smashed shot (missed a few as well) .. young Josh Clack has an air about him in midfield, that befitted his hat trick show this night .. and George Way can pick a shot out of the top draw, when dispatching his goal into top left .. and with tap in’s, prods and pokes to complete things .. the goals just kept coming .. let’s hope Splodge get’s a few pointers and see's the same happen at Cams Alders as well .. whenever the wet conditions of "Fareham clay" allow .. Tongue

Grounds = 638, Leagues done = 15 (37 to go); Games (19/20) = 102; New Grounds (19/20) = 82; Goals (19/20) = 441; Ave goals/game = 4.32; Last new ground = Bourton Rovers; Next = Tues 10th Dec 2019

(This post was edited by hemelhopper on Nov 25, 2015, 1:15 AM)

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 25, 2015, 1:09 AM

Post #16 of 39 (10742 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mek] Tuesday 24th November 2015 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

GILLINGHAM 2 (Dack, Oshilaja) Rochdale 0
@Priestfield Stadium

Another home win Cool
Man of the match, Bradley Dack, once again.

leohoenig
Administrator

Nov 25, 2015, 7:02 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #17 of 39 (10570 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hemelhopper] Tuesday 24th November 2015 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Admission £5, Prog £1

Nice to meet up with Hemel Hopper.

.. and yes I was also at this one (change of plan due to AFC Hayes postponement) .. travelling another twenty minutes or so further than Splodge, along the M27 and M3 of the “south coast” .. whose Teams seemed to be scoring for fun this evening .. eight here at Oaklands Park, six down the road at Fratton, another seven up at Histon by Poole .. and even Boro treated the friendly folk of St Albans to a three goal display .. quite an evening for those out and about.

Not everyone on the south coast was scoring for fun. I reached Bursledon with the M27 East looking solid and the sat nav showing long delays to Fareham, so I turned West (when Chi was the first destination on the sat. nav).

Lymington Town 2-0 Alresford Town
Admission £5, Programme £1, Tea £1, Estimated attendance 58

Technically a bracketed tick, my previous visit being 32 years ago, since which Lymington merged first with AFC Wellworthy and then with New Milton. This is the "new club", although they claim lineage to the original. There almost certainly were people involved in founding town who came from AFC, and I do not think New Milton still claim to be Lymington, (having dropped it from the name), let alone Wellworthy.

Alresford are bottom of the league, but had their stall set out with five in midfield and only one forward. This led to them dominating possession in the first half, but not having a route to goal with this possession. Nathan Hurst got to one of Lymington's limited chances to give them the lead on 36 minutes.

In the second half, Lymington switched to 5 in midfield to mirror their opponents. It did give them an even share of the play, but restricted their chances as the visiting centre halves, especially Adam Carrick had the one forward under control.

The second goal was from a corner, headed in from a Lymington centre half, Darren Ritchie. Alresford were looking for an excuse to claim anything (without quite knowing what to claim).

Overall, a dullish game, with the home team flattered by the scoreline.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Nov 25, 2015, 8:33 AM

Post #18 of 39 (10396 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Tuesday 24th November 2015 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A more than worthwhile evening on the Surrey Downs...

Merstham 3 v 2 Bognor Regis Town - Isthmian League Premier Division
Prog 32 pages £2.00 - Att 143 - Admission £10.00

... and a reverse for Bognor just as Tonbridge are starting to get a run of results together. This season's Isthmian Premier Division is one of the most competitive in years (as illustrated by this outcome). Maybe West Kent's finest are slightly less average than the remainder of the division.

Oh dear. If I was a visiting supporter, player of official, I would be scratching my cranium and wonder 'how on earth did we lose this one'. Bognor looked the better team for most of this contest but they failed to press home their advantage in the second half when if they had extended their advantage to 1-3 the 'game over' board would surely have flashed. However, a late two goal burst from Merstham gave them a win that throughout looked unlikely.

Throughout the match, the Merstham defence was very susceptible to crosses/dead balls from the flank especially from Ollie Pearce. Early warning in the first minute when a low cross required a touch that did not arrive. Soon after a corner from Pearce from the right was met by a header from the unmarked Prior and Bognor were in front.

The visitors could not consolidate their advantage and Merstham levelled in spectacular manner after Bognor conceded an unnecessary free kick on the edge of their area. Kavanagh deceived the wall by stepping over the ball at the last minute, allowing Saraiva to simply blast the free kick wide of the wall finding the net via the inside of the post leaving G Smith (both keepers were holders of the UK's most common surname) clutching at the damp East Surrey air.

For most of the remainder of the first half, Bognor were in the ascendancy, though the Merstham defence could not deal with Pearce's crosses and free kick. One was met by a header from Prior and was bundled off the line and just before half time a further free kick from Pearce was met by a header from Prior and Kandi forced the ball over the line from close range to give Bognor a more than deserved advantage.

The second half rather lacked the fluency and entertainment of the first as Isthmian Player Petulance made a not uncommon appearance, with bookings accruing at a regular rate. The cautioning of Merstham keeper J Smith was noted simply because he constantly whinged in the direction of the referee against every wronged decision.

Problem was that despite having the majority of possession, Bognor could not extend their lead. A further corner from Prior was met by a further header from Prior was cleared from virtually on the line.

The replacement of the visitors two strikers Prior and Kandi late on was a curious move as if they were trying to contain a 2-1 lead. This on occasion does not work and Merstham levelled with 8 minutes left with a deep cross from Hall reaching Page at the back post his header across the face of the goal was met by a rather miscued effort from Willock but it had enough pace and accuracy to creep over the line.

Two minutes later and Merstham took what was an unlikely lead with the Bognor defence being slow reacting to a long ball forward allowing Page enough time to place a shot via a deflection wide of G Smith.
Late flurry from Bognor with a venomous drive from Rutherford being pushed wide by J Smith and with the last kick of the game an angled shot from Cooper being cleared off the line. However, the sheer unpredictability of this contest brought about an outcome that few would have predicted with 10 minutes left.

Always praiseworthy of Merstham for IMHO being the best organised club at Isthmian League level, where a form of orderliness prevails and everything naturally falls into place. One of those weird coincidences when the also present Hornetini Teech!! remarked about the organisation emblazoned on the side of the mugs (no chance of any hot beverages being dispensed in polystyrenee thingees here). Initial thoughts were that ATL was a local scaffolding company or a local delivery provider. Reminded though by the aforementioned Mr Teech!! that ATL is an acronym for Association of Teachers and Lecturers that he has been a member of since the dawn of his teaching career sometime when Mrs T was Secretary of State for Education but then again I may be a decade out either side.

prorege

Nov 25, 2015, 8:42 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #19 of 39 (10361 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Tuesday 24th November 2015 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SPFL Championship
Raith Rovers v St Mirren, 1-1, H.T. 1-0, Att 1264 (approx 100 away), Admission £18, Programme £2, Steak Pie £2.20
at Stark's Park

I've been very lucky this season to have seen few bad games - but this one was really bad. Even a night in watching Masterchef might have been better than this. The game had been held over from a week past Saturday due to St Mirren having players in the Scotland Under 21 squad.

St Mirren, relegated from the Premiership last season, are strugg;ling near the foot of the Championship table. They play some nice football but with no real end product - their strikers just didn't link up with the midfield at all. Rovers were a little better with some decent attacking play down the wings.

It was from one such move that they scored the opening goal. A deep cross was met by the head of Jon Daly who forced a fantastic save from Clangers Langfield in the Buddies goal, but he couldn't hold it and the loose ball was bundled in by Mark Stewart. No wonder Clangers was going mental at his defence - after his superb effort to kepe the ball out the least he could have expected was one of his defenders to be alert and clear the ball.

If the first half was laboured then the second half was somnolent. With a couple of minutes to go Raith seemed to be heading towards a win that would consolidate fourth place for them when they gave away a free kick 25 yards out. Young Stevie Mallan whipped the dead ball up and over the wall and in under the crossbar for a fantastic goal.

Mallan is a decent prospect. He's already been called up to the Scotland Under 21 side. Hopefully he continues to progress and has a slighly calmer temperament than his father, also Stevie Mallan, who was something of a legend around the lower Leagues and Juniors in the nineties and noughties. A legendary nutter, that is.

The final whistle blew to a chorus of boos from the home fans and muted cheers from the small away following.

As usual I sat in the old main stand to get a sideline view. Excellent steak pies. If you want to access the club shop then you have to pay in behind the goal at the south end of the ground. The programme is ok for £2 - a more homespun effort than some of the other Championship issues with decent, original club-related content.

WestBerksPalace
First Team Star

Nov 25, 2015, 9:31 AM

Team(s): Palace/Epsom and Ewell/Didcot Town and Djurgardens IF.

Post #20 of 39 (10255 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Tuesday 24th November 2015 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Western League Division One at 'The Ridings'.
Chipping Sodbury Town 4-2 Corsham Town, att 86, admission £5, programme £1, Badge £3, Cheese/Onion roll £1.50, coffee £1.
Second attempt to get to 'The Ridings' this season. The M4 was up to it's worst again last night after an earlier accident, and I made slow progress between Jcts 5-12, after that it was foot to the peddle time, and I was in situ in the clubhouse about ten minutes before KOSmile.
A massive box of badges behind the bar, seems they over ordered for the recent hop game, means anyone visiting within the next '10' years should not go home badgeless!
I liked the club, although not much off field furniture, they have apparently considerably upgraded the ground over the last few years, and I liked the cosey little clubhouse.

On the field, this was a funny one. At half time I got chatting to a couple of local hoppers I've met at previous games, and I later remarked that at 4-1 up I hadn't been that impressed with CST. The fact was, this was a pretty even game, and the only difference being that CST seemed more able to get the ball into the penalty area and put their chances away, scoring went 1-0, 2-0, HT. 3-0, 3-1, 4-1, 4-2. Played on the heaviest pitch I've seen this season.
A good run back, and home by 10:30.

2019-20 - 45 games, last Chepstow T v STM Sports - 16/11, goals 146, avgpg 3.24, new grounds 12. Last - Chepstow Town 16/11.
New Grounds in 2019 - 26. 2018 - 44. 2017 -44. Grounds in Total - 1219.
RL Grounds - 34 (Last - Craven Park, Barrow - 8/9/19), Speedway Tracks 50.

(This post was edited by WestBerksPalace on Nov 25, 2015, 11:28 AM)

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Nov 25, 2015, 12:39 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #21 of 39 (9941 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WestBerksPalace] Tuesday 24th November 2015 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Football League One

Bradford City 0 Coventry City 0

Season ticket duty - Attendance 17,757

A great point against top of the table Coventry, saw Bradford move up another place in the table and sneak in to the play off zone.

As 0-0 draws go, this was fairly entertaining. Both teams created chances and it was Coventry who went closest to scoring, when Adam Armstrong hit the post and Jacob Murphy was only denied by a great save from the much maligned Ben Williams in the Bradford goal. The run of clean sheets extends to seven games and Bradford have not lost since 29th September, a run of nine league games and two FA Cup games against Aldershot.

I'd have gladly taken a point before the game. Bradford have some tough games to come, as they play Walsall (currently in 4th place) next and have games against Southend (8th) and Burton Albion (3rd) in December.

I'll miss the next home game, against Chesham United in the FA Cup but should be there for Southend on 12th December, so hopefully, I'll watch a couple of non league games before then Cool

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 25, 2015, 1:40 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #22 of 39 (9811 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yorks Amateur] Tuesday 24th November 2015 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Peterborough United 3-2 Barnsley
League One
Attendance: 4,783

The goals keep flowing at London Road. Posh took a deserved lead after 24 minutes before leaden-footed new signing Miles Addison made several efforts to foul Marley Watkins and continued trying in the penalty area at which point a penalty was rightly awarded. Addison made amends by putting Posh ahead again, somewhat fortuitously, when his downward header bounced over the goalkeeper. Twenty minutes from time substitute Marcus Maddison made it 3-1 but within five minutes Barnsley reduced the deficit after a goalmouth scramble during which Addison almost had another calamity when he headed against his own bar. With ten minutes to go Barnsley had Kevin Long sent off for a horrible tackle, which was bad news for Simeon Jackson who, having come on as a substitute less than ten minutes previously, was substituted for a defender. The shortage of numbers didn't put Barnsley off and they attacked incessantly as Posh failed to close the game down but they couldn't find another goal.

stingray
First Team Star

Nov 25, 2015, 2:12 PM

Team(s): Step 4/5 local sides

Post #23 of 39 (9742 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yorks Amateur] Tuesday 24th November 2015 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Southern League Central
AFC RUSHDEN & DIAMONDS 7-1 LEIGHTON TOWN
Admission £8.00 Prog £2.50 CBC & C £5.20 Tea £1.00 LTFC Meat Raffle £1.00
Attendance 297

Right from when the fixtures came out in July, I'd earmarked this one as the one I'd been dreading the most for every reason under the sun - parking, programmes, crowd size in hopelessly small ground and quality of opposition. Having now got it out of the way, I must say that perhaps not all my fears were justified.

No problems with parking - very small car park in the ground (as you'd expect) only for players and officials. However, the mini-retail park with the drive-thru McDonalds has now been finished and some spaces were available there. It also helped that, anticipating a larger than average crowd, I arrived at 6-50.Cool

No problems with the programme - plenty available and very sleek and professionally printed (though I'd expect that for £2.50), although the fixtures/results pages aren't very easy on the eye, very small and thin white type on black background. It also helped that, anticipating a larger crowd than usual, I entered the ground at 7-15. Cool

No problems with the ground - unlike Kettering Town's adopted home, the Dog and Duck is roomy and spacious and wouldn't look out of place at a much higher level. It also helped that, being a Champions League night and some uncertainty as to whether the game would take place, the crowd was (only slightly) lower than their other midweekers.

No problems with the food - Rushden brought their own menu with the famous Diamond Burgers on offer, though I stuck to the ordinary stuff. Only slight quibble was that drinks are served from a separate hatch, albeit in the same room.

No problems with the journey there or back - the advertised closure of the A45 was only on the Eastbound side, allowing the journey home to be completed in just over 45 minutes.

As for the game itself - well, we did manage to get on the scoresheet first courtesy of Josh Murray, but that was as good as it got, as from then on, the Diamonds erupted into a glittering and sparkling masterclass that left us completely shellshocked. Still, we did only have the bare eleven and one sub and the pitch was VERY heavy and sticky, but I'm not going to use that as an excuse. Hopefully, we may have more manpower at Godalming on Saturday, but I'd be deluding myself if I thought we can repeat the result there back in April.Crazy

2019/20 stats

58 goals in 16 games
£161.15 spent

(This post was edited by stingray on Nov 25, 2015, 2:15 PM)

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 25, 2015, 2:13 PM

Post #24 of 39 (9734 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hemelhopper] Tuesday 24th November 2015 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
].. and indeed as well for me .. as it was a pleasure to meet up with one of the best there is, in this part of the world .. Non League Football is in good hands with Splodge .. his total commitment to Fareham Town Football Club is second to none .. in fact it was his red woolly “club” hat that gave him away this night .. ending up with the weird site of a Tudor woolly hat in conversation with Creeksiders woolly hat .. I guess these things happen when you least expect it .. Wink

Aw shucks Blush I just do what volunteers all across the country at their own clubs do.

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

totallyuntamed
First Team Star

Nov 25, 2015, 6:33 PM

Team(s): Solihull Moors

Post #25 of 39 (9378 views)
Shortcut

Also at this one - I decided after our magnificent performance against Gillingham on Saturday that I would make the effort to attend a game here for the fourth time. Ticket £15 (concession) Programme £3 (standard stuff). Pie £3.20 Tea £2.20.

Two sides of Valley Parade are quite superb and outstanding for this level. They are two linked towering two tier stands providing great vantage points. The side opposite the main stand is also impressive, its one tier coming right down to the pitch to help add to the intimidating atmosphere but the away stand is really disappointing - minimal facilities and decidedly old school and to charge £25 a ticket full price (a sixth of their season ticket price) is way over the top. There are old fashioned floodlight pylons on three sides and with there being no gap between the two tier stands the lights here are mounted on the roof.

Like Yorks Amateur I would have been happy with a point before the game - there is no doubt that Bradford City are a very difficult team to play against. However, their brand of hoofball is reminiscent of eighties Wimbledon and I could not watch them every week. Having said that they are very effective and made matters very difficult for us. A draw was a fair result at the end of the day imho.

"There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Milletts".

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3