INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Administration: Messages from / Questions to Administrators:
Stop HS2 - political message?

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

May 9, 2014, 2:58 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #1 of 17 (6694 views)
Shortcut
Stop HS2 - political message? Can't Post or Reply Privately

On the home page I'm getting a "Stop HS2" message appearing all the time. I couldn't care less about HS2 one way or another but it's starting to get a little irritating to be seeing this message all the time on what is a non-political forum. Is it just me.... perhaps another symptom of the onset of Victor Meldrew syndrome? Wink

kirby knitters

May 9, 2014, 3:23 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #2 of 17 (6689 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Stop HS2 - political message? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Me as well, im no fan of HS2 but id rather not see it on here all the time.

steve walker
Administrator

May 9, 2014, 7:13 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 17 (6662 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Stop HS2 - political message? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It's a paid for button ad. There's not much else I can say.

UKPunk
Man City Transfer Target!

May 9, 2014, 10:59 PM

Post #4 of 17 (6633 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Stop HS2 - political message? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I couldn't care less whether it's there or not. I suggest that people take the same stance with it as they should with posters who irritate them. Just ignore it.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

paulh66

May 9, 2014, 11:09 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #5 of 17 (6627 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Stop HS2 - political message? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for the advice, I hadn't thought of that. Just seems odd to see a political protest on a distinctly apolitical forum.

non-league fan
Banned

May 9, 2014, 11:09 PM

Team(s): Oxford United, also groundhopper

Post #6 of 17 (6627 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Stop HS2 - political message? [In reply to] Can't Post or

Could it be that whoever paid for the advert has something to do with Hale Leys United, whose ground appears to be more or less where the new line will pass through?

UKPunk

May 9, 2014, 11:15 PM

Post #7 of 17 (6621 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Thanks for the advice, I hadn't thought of that. Just seems odd to see a political protest on a distinctly apolitical forum.

That wasn't specifically aimed at you Paul. It just gets a bit tiresome the way some get the hump over things that are, in the grand scheme of things, pretty trivial.

I'm a 'live and let live' type of person and think too much fuss is often made of very little.

steve walker
Administrator

May 10, 2014, 12:24 AM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 17 (6609 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Stop HS2 - political message? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm glad to see that the ad has provoked a response, It proves to this advertiser and hopefully to future advertisers that their ads really do get noticed.

I need any ad revenue I can get to keep the forum costs down. it's a struggle as I am having to take a lot less from my real business than I could a couple of years ago. I really don't want to put video ads as you find on pitchero and mitoo onto the site so work with me instead of complaining about a banner ad that is helping to pay the bills.

AndyE
First Team Star

May 12, 2014, 1:53 PM

Team(s): Chatham Town

Post #9 of 17 (6449 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Stop HS2 - political message? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That's entirely fair comment, but do you have the facility to reject a button ad that is horribly objectionable?

While it might not be to everyone's taste and is undeniably political, the anti-HS2 message is not horribly objectionable. But an ad for (say) the BNP or an adult website might be considered so - much as I understand that you don't want to turn money away.

UKPunk

May 12, 2014, 3:23 PM

Post #10 of 17 (6433 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Stop HS2 - political message? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
That's entirely fair comment, but do you have the facility to reject a button ad that is horribly objectionable?

We could do with one of those for certain posters.....Tongue

steve walker
Administrator

May 12, 2014, 3:28 PM

Team(s):

Post #11 of 17 (6429 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Stop HS2 - political message? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

While it might not be to everyone's taste and is undeniably political, the anti-HS2 message is not horribly objectionable. But an ad for (say) the BNP or an adult website might be considered so - much as I understand that you don't want to turn money away.

Yes that's a fair question.

The ad system is completely automated so there is nothing to stop someone from adding such an ad. I could of course remove it as soon as I noticed it and refund their payment (or not!)

Mister TwoU
First Team Star

May 12, 2014, 7:11 PM

Team(s): Malvern Town F,C,

Post #12 of 17 (6404 views)
Shortcut

I run add-ons like Adblock+ & Ghostery, so I can't see ads!

Professional cretin.

steve walker
Administrator

May 12, 2014, 7:45 PM

Team(s):

Post #13 of 17 (6397 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mister TwoU] Stop HS2 - political message? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Yes well that really does help to keep websites like this one online doesn't it. Perhaps you would like to click the donations button in the menu above instead since you haven't done so already? Or should everything on the internet be free?

Since putting sites like this online certainly isn't free where do you think the funds come from, or doesn't that matter as long as you can't see any ads?

scottywalds
First Team Star

May 13, 2014, 2:31 PM

Team(s): Boston United

Post #14 of 17 (6332 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mister TwoU] Stop HS2 - political message? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

I use Adblock+, but add an exception for nonleaguematters.co.uk, and other sites I like and require ad support.

buncranaboy

May 13, 2014, 3:31 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #15 of 17 (6324 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Yes well that really does help to keep websites like this one online doesn't it. Perhaps you would like to click the donations button in the menu above instead since you haven't done so already? Or should everything on the internet be free?

Since putting sites like this online certainly isn't free where do you think the funds come from, or doesn't that matter as long as you can't see any ads?

Wallop +

Well said. Roughly how many of what you would call "regulars" have decided to make a donation in % terms?

steve walker
Administrator

May 13, 2014, 6:35 PM

Team(s):

Post #16 of 17 (6301 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Stop HS2 - political message? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Wallop +

Well said. Roughly how many of what you would call "regulars" have decided to make a donation in % terms?

Well, I really wouldn't want to go down that avenue. It's purely a voluntary donation to help with the site costs but I wouldn't want to apply pressure on anyone, there could be all sorts of reasons why they don't feel able to do so. Everyone is welcome to use and contribute to the site regardless of a donation or not. I was a bit peeved about a forum member encouraging ad blockers on the forum but that's as far as it goes.

It's not just about the forum of course, there is the main site, the defunct nonleaguetables.co.uk site which we now host, the soon to be defunct nonleaguematters.net site, the content of which we will be putting online here and the new archives site that a couple of the people from the History section are putting together which will also be hosted here.

The Donations button is there in the top menu but clicking it will always be voluntary.

Cheers.... Steve

Richard Rundle

May 13, 2014, 10:13 PM

Post #17 of 17 (6269 views)
Shortcut

I can't imagine browsing without Adblock & Ghostery these days, it really makes using the internet an enjoyable experience again, particularly if you are using it in a public place using a hotspot, which I do quite frequently. I can't imagine going back to using things like mitoo in the local library, with these intrusive video ads coming on every time you navigate to another page.

I do, however, respect why sites like these need to have ads, so I will look into setting up exceptions for the nonleaguematters domain, and also I have just made a financial donation.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3