First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

CND67
First Team Star

Mar 11, 2014, 2:02 PM

Team(s): Wolverhampton Wanderers & England

Post #1 of 39 (2289 views)
Shortcut
Bob Crow Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sad news about Bob Crow - one of the few trade unions leaders willing to fight for his members. I know he's not everybodies cup of tea but without the likes of Crow over the years working people would be living in caves!

Last New Ground: Hereford Lads Club
Grounds Visited: 1,122

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 11, 2014, 3:49 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #2 of 39 (2268 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CND67] Bob Crow [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not somebody who I had any time for but I certainly won't suggest that he 'rots in hell' like he did about Margaret Thatcher.

He was a Millwall fan and I remember a steward there telling me his behaviour often left much to be desired.

Still nobody deserves to have their life curtailed at the age of 52...........RIP

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Mar 11, 2014, 8:31 PM

Post #3 of 39 (2215 views)
Shortcut

One of the last, true, working-class heroes.

Had the revolution come in his time he would have led from the front.

As they say at Millwall : "No one likes us; we don't care."

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 11, 2014, 8:52 PM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #4 of 39 (2209 views)
Shortcut

A tragic loss, very sad news.
His knowledge of the rail industry and dedication and enthusiasm for protecting our jobs and conditions will be much missed. A rare voice of common sense in this world.
Were it not for leaders like Bob we would have all been replaced by agency workers on peanuts with no proper training, contract, or pay and conditions. These things people fought hard to get in the past and should not just be given away like every other industry. There will never be another Bob Crow, but I hope someone can step forward and continue the vital role he played in an increasingly fragmented transport industry where profit comes before safety.
RIP Bob Crow.

629 GROUNDS - Fulham(59/92)
576 WETHERSPOONS - Biggleswade
1 WETHERSPOONS HOTEL

garethwrexy

Mar 11, 2014, 9:45 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #5 of 39 (2196 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Bob Crow [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

rip even though sometimes on telly he could come across as a bit of a prat,,,,,,

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

acmold

Mar 12, 2014, 9:29 AM

Post #6 of 39 (2148 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Bob Crow [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
A tragic loss, very sad news.
His knowledge of the rail industry and dedication and enthusiasm for protecting our jobs and conditions will be much missed. A rare voice of common sense in this world.
Were it not for leaders like Bob we would have all been replaced by agency workers on peanuts with no proper training, contract, or pay and conditions. These things people fought hard to get in the past and should not just be given away like every other industry. There will never be another Bob Crow, but I hope someone can step forward and continue the vital role he played in an increasingly fragmented transport industry where profit comes before safety.
RIP Bob Crow.

Sadly that happened 20 or so years ago in many industries and professions due to computerisation and experienced professional staff being replaced by call centres staffed by persons who read from script and get thrown when asked a question that is not on a sheet in front of them. This is why we are in the mess we have been in.

Seagull
First Team Star

Mar 12, 2014, 6:31 PM

Post #7 of 39 (2080 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Bob Crow [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
There will never be another Bob Crow, but I hope someone can step forward and continue the vital role he played in an increasingly fragmented transport industry where profit comes before safety.
RIP Bob Crow.

Very well said.

increasingly fragmented transport industry where profit comes before safety

the same can be said for huge swaithes of the public sector sadly, "profit before people" is the political mantra of our times.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 14, 2014, 11:28 AM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #8 of 39 (1830 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Seagull] Bob Crow [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In a recent interview in The Guardian with Decca Aitkenhead, Bob Crow hinted that he might not stand for re-election in 2016 for his position as leader of the RMT because he wanted to spend more time with his grandchildren, go to watch Millwall FC more, and go to every football ground in Britain. He was a groundhopper at heart! Smile

Mishi

Mar 16, 2014, 3:02 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #9 of 39 (1724 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Bob Crow [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Was choked when I heard the news, he was one of my political heroes. A solid, intelligent working class bloke...with the 'bonus' of being Millwall!

I'd just got off my coach from Brussels last Wednesday evening, and grabbed a Metro & Standard at Victoria station. I sat on the train home, having not read a paper for a week..and turning a couple of pages in learnt that he was dead. I was gutted.

With regard to 'wishing someone dead' or being happy they are dead...well why should you be nice about someone you despised just because they have died, regardless of what age or the circumstances. I was more annoyed by the quasi-condolences from Boris Johnson, which I have no doubt were different from what he might have said in private. He would have done better to be honest and said nothing...but then he's not renowned for his honesty...especially when it comes to London's public transort, so why change the habits of a lifetime?

Grounds visited: 735
Last new ground: Biggleswade Town FC; Langford Road, Biggleswade, Bedfordshire. (Evo-Stik League South Premier Division Central)
Last game: Sunday 13th January 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 4, Glebe 4. [Kent Youth League U.18 North]
Matches watched this season: 108
2017/18-New English grounds: 12; & foreign: 2

Isaac

Mar 17, 2014, 9:38 AM

Post #10 of 39 (1675 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Bob Crow [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Which begs the question as to what Boris is supposed to say if an interviewer asked him about the untimely death of Bob Crow, if he had just stubbornly refused to comment his detractors would have had a field day.

And of course Boris isn't the first mayor of London to be less than honest about public transport.

Mishi

Mar 17, 2014, 12:29 PM

Post #11 of 39 (1654 views)
Shortcut

How about something along the lines of: "It's terribly sad when someone dies so young, & I respect it's a terrible time for his family, but i'm not going to say he was a great man, as we were clearly totally opposite politically"...

Last new ground: Biggleswade Town FC; Langford Road, Biggleswade, Bedfordshire. (Evo-Stik League South Premier Division Central)
Last game: Sunday 13th January 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 4, Glebe 4. [Kent Youth League U.18 North]

Isaac

Mar 17, 2014, 12:35 PM

Post #12 of 39 (1650 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
How about something along the lines of: "It's terribly sad when someone dies so young, & I respect it's a terrible time for his family, but i'm not going to say he was a great man, as we were clearly totally opposite politically"...

Yes that sounds ok, I must admit that I don't know what Boris actually did say although it is possible to be politically opposed to somebody and still regard them as a great person.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 17, 2014, 1:13 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #13 of 39 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Boris said:

Whatever our political differences, and there were many, this is tragic news. Bob fought tirelessly for his beliefs and for his members. There can be absolutely no doubt that he played a big part in the success of the Tube, and he shared my goal to make transport in London an even greater success. It's a sad day.

What's wrong with that? Just because you don't agree with someone doesn't mean you can't admire, or even like, them.

Mishi

Mar 17, 2014, 1:19 PM

Post #14 of 39 (1633 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Bob Crow [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If Boris & his ilk had their way public transport workers would not have the pay, safety & conditions they have, which as far as I am concerned is the yardstick all workers should be able to aim for.

As for making transport an even greater success....well that will never happen unless services are nationalised and fares subsidised to a rate that everyone can afford. It's shocking that we are the most expensive in Europe.

And as far as I am concerned when you are as far apart politically as Boris & Bob then there is nothing to admire either way.

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 17, 2014, 10:18 PM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #15 of 39 (1584 views)
Shortcut

Some good posts by Mishi here

629 GROUNDS - Fulham(59/92)
576 WETHERSPOONS - Biggleswade
1 WETHERSPOONS HOTEL

non-league fan
Banned

Mar 17, 2014, 10:49 PM

Team(s): Oxford United, also groundhopper

Post #16 of 39 (1577 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Bob Crow [In reply to] Can't Post or

Mr.Crow's untimely demise is probably not a great advert for a diet that consists almost entirely of alcohol and red meat, as I believe he was partial to. Tony Benn, on the other hand, was more or less vegetarian (although he did admit to eating fish occasionally) for the last thirty years or so of his life and was 88 when he died.

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Mar 17, 2014, 11:00 PM

Post #17 of 39 (1568 views)
Shortcut
Re: [non-league fan] Bob Crow [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Mr.Crow's untimely demise is probably not a great advert for a diet that consists almost entirely of alcohol and red meat, as I believe he was partial to. Tony Benn, on the other hand, was more or less vegetarian (although he did admit to eating fish occasionally) for the last thirty years or so of his life and was 88 when he died.

The plural of anecdote is not data

Isaac

Mar 17, 2014, 11:49 PM

Post #18 of 39 (1557 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

You might well be right, my health certainly improved considerably since I cut out meat and reduced my alcohol intake.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Mar 17, 2014, 11:57 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #19 of 39 (1553 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

You might well be right, my health certainly improved considerably since I cut out meat and reduced my alcohol intake.

Hasn't improved your eye-sight though Tongue

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 18, 2014, 10:03 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #20 of 39 (1504 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] Bob Crow [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

The plural of anecdote is not data

Smile

Ropemaker

Mar 18, 2014, 2:56 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #21 of 39 (1465 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

How about if you cut out all food?

Best to have a balanced diet, carnivorous or otherwise.

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Isaac

Mar 18, 2014, 3:44 PM

Post #22 of 39 (1450 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Bob Crow [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

How about if you cut out all food?

Best to have a balanced diet, carnivorous or otherwise.

Not a good ideaMad

Mishi

Mar 20, 2014, 10:01 PM

Post #23 of 39 (1357 views)
Shortcut

"Mr.Crow's untimely demise is probably not a great advert for a diet that consists almost entirely of alcohol and red meat, as I believe he was partial to. Tony Benn, on the other hand, was more or less vegetarian (although he did admit to eating fish occasionally) for the last thirty years or so of his life and was 88 when he died. "

His death is also not a good advert for a high pressure job of union leader, which must be extremely stressful. I'm intrigued to know how you know what his diet consists of.

Some people with diets that don't conform to medical reccomendations may have a lesser life expectancy, on the other hand many have long and fruitful lives to a very old age on the same diet.

Likewise the same can apply to vegetarians, or are you saying they don't die young?

non-league fan
Banned

Mar 20, 2014, 10:38 PM

Team(s): Oxford United, also groundhopper

Post #24 of 39 (1347 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Bob Crow [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
His death is also not a good advert for a high pressure job of union leader, which must be extremely stressful. I

Arthur Scargill - who took more stick from the press than Bob Crow ever did - is still alive and well.

Ropemaker

Mar 20, 2014, 11:00 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #25 of 39 (1342 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
His death is also not a good advert for a high pressure job of union leader, which must be extremely stressful. I

Arthur Scargill - who took more stick from the press than Bob Crow ever did - is still alive and well.

Is he vegetarian?

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3