steve walker
Administrator

Feb 15, 2014, 8:27 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 13 (6540 views)
Shortcut
Downtime today..... Can't Post or Reply Privately

..... apologies for this.

I'm still unsure what happened other than a sketchy outline that doesn't tell me much. Apparently the sheer weight of traffic on the forum this morning crashed the server which rebooted multiple times. In the end the forum was disabled to ensure the rest of the site(s) came back online.

The hosting company is looking to optimise the forum software (they wrote it) to ensure that traffic spikes don't have the same effect again and I will post more info when I have it.

Steve

Lars
Reserve Team Star

Feb 15, 2014, 8:53 PM

Team(s): Yeovil, Kettering

Post #2 of 13 (6507 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Downtime today..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
..... apologies for this.

I'm still unsure what happened other than a sketchy outline that doesn't tell me much. Apparently the sheer weight of traffic on the forum this morning crashed the server which rebooted multiple times. In the end the forum was disabled to ensure the rest of the site(s) came back online.

The hosting company is looking to optimise the forum software (they wrote it) to ensure that traffic spikes don't have the same effect again and I will post more info when I have it.

Steve

Oh, it's back! For several hours it said "Forbidden", so I thought of a worst case scenario of only people from UK/Ireland getting access to the page. Crazy Nice to see it being back again!

stingray
First Team Star

Feb 15, 2014, 9:06 PM

Team(s): Step 4/5 local sides

Post #3 of 13 (6493 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Downtime today..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Shouldn't be so much of an issue now with the weather set to be a bit kinder over the next few weeks.

2019/20 stats

41 goals in 10 games
104.95 spent

steve walker
Administrator

Feb 15, 2014, 9:21 PM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 13 (6481 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stingray] Downtime today..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Shouldn't be so much of an issue now with the weather set to be a bit kinder over the next few weeks.

Yes but I'm still furious. I know people must have been checking in for updates on postponed games but heavy forum traffic should not crash a dedicated server no matter how heavy it is.

I have made this clear to the hosting company and am awaiting an explanation together with what they propose to do about it.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Feb 15, 2014, 9:32 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #5 of 13 (6470 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lars] Downtime today..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was getting paranoid because when i was attempting to get on it was coming up Forbidden and the last person i spoke to in October that got that actually was forbidden!Sly

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 15, 2014, 9:42 PM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #6 of 13 (6461 views)
Shortcut

Thank goodness for Twitter Smile

643 GROUNDS - Milton Keynes Robins (61/92)
582 WETHERSPOONS - Lytham
2 WETHERSPOONS HOTELS - Ripon

steve walker
Administrator

Feb 15, 2014, 10:10 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 13 (6442 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Downtime today..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

It surely saved me receiving quite a few extra emails as I did tweet the forum problem

The sites twitter account is @NL_Matters and people really should follow to keep in touch

UKPunk
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 15, 2014, 10:48 PM

Post #8 of 13 (6419 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

It surely saved me receiving quite a few extra emails as I did tweet the forum problem

The sites twitter account is @NL_Matters and people really should follow to keep in touch

I do. Which is why I was able to retweet your message. Cool

Some people are rather disparaging about Twitter but not for the first time it helped me to get a game in today.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 16, 2014, 1:40 AM

Team(s): Scotter United (Scunthorpe League), AFC Telford(home town club),

Post #9 of 13 (6387 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Downtime today..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Twitter is a superb tool for hoppers to use. If you aren't using it, please have a look because it's easy to use and it's free! Every little helps etc.

Where's the 'ignore this poster' button?

leohoenig
Administrator

Feb 16, 2014, 11:02 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #10 of 13 (6337 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colpic] Downtime today..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I am fairly new to Twitter, having finally got a phone that works with it.
It is a very useful tool, especially in current conditions. One can follow those clubs whose matches you are interested in, and then unfollow them later, so as you do not find you get too many messages to handle. I am merely a tweetee, and not a tweeter, so it is not worth adding your name to my current miniscule number of followers. Amused to listen to Tony Incenzo comment on how he cannot post too many non league posts, as it annoys his QPR followers, while the number of QPR posts he sends out annoys people like me. It seems people I know in the media spend an inordinate amount of time re-tweeting bits of news.

The news that Bishop Auckland was off last week was transmitted to me by twitter. It is a free service, but this does mean you get advertising tweets thrown into the mix as well.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

richiejenn
First Team Star

Feb 17, 2014, 8:43 AM

Team(s):

Post #11 of 13 (6254 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Downtime today..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I am another convert to Twitter. I rarely tweet but find it useful for information on Saturdays. Like Leo I follow non league clubs on a Friday afternoon and unfollow again on Sunday.

It's simple to use, even I can do it Smile

steve walker
Administrator

Feb 17, 2014, 8:22 PM

Team(s):

Post #12 of 13 (6196 views)
Shortcut

Response from the hosting company re the downtime on Saturday:

"After digging into the logs it looks like the root cause here was a bug in speedycgi, one of the components your forum was using to help with performance. We've now updated your forum to run under mod_perl instead which should give you even better performance as well as avoid the situation we ran into over the weekend. I've also done some additional tuning to your database for you and will be monitoring the server to make sure things run smoothly for you from here on out.

Regardless of the original cause I do believe we could have handled this better for you and would like to offer you my sincere apologies as well a 25% discount on this month's bill to compensate for the problems. "

No I don't pretend to understand about mod_perl either. Hopefully the forum is now a super shiny speedy sprinter. I drive a car but I don't pretend to know what goes on under the bonnet which is why there are people that do. Each to his own.

UKPunk
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 17, 2014, 10:56 PM

Post #13 of 13 (6172 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
No I don't pretend to understand about mod_perl either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod_perl

If you have trouble sleeping a read of this should send you off in no time at all. Cool

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3