Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non League Football Information: History:
Streatham Town FC 1928-1937 ?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

taylov
Junior Team Star

Jan 23, 2014, 11:03 AM

Team(s): Eastleigh; ex Malden Town, Kingstonian; Luton T ; Aldershot; Kings Langley

Post #1 of 27 (11822 views)
Shortcut
Streatham Town FC 1928-1937 ? Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have a small collection of pre-war programmes of London N.L. clubs and one of rarer ones is Park Royal vs Streatham Town in the London League 1934/35 season - undated but probably Saturday 30th March 1935 -played at Royal's Coronation Road ground.

Streatham Town are one of South London's most obscure senior clubs and only appear in a couple of previous threads on this forum. Even the precise location of their home ground has been unclear. What is known is that they played one season in the Surrey Senior League, 1932-33, before joining the London League for 1933/34 where they played for 4 seasons, 1936/1937 being their last. They were replaced in the London League for 1937/38 by Wandsworth United.

Streatham Town's date of formation has been given previously as 1928 and prior to their appearance in the Surrey Senior League they seem to have played in one or more of the junior or intermediate leagues registered with the Surrey County FA. They appear in the County FA cup records as winners of the Surrey County FA Junior Cup in 1930/31 beating Farnham Post Office 2-1.

The club appears in records of several London non-league clubs but the most useful reference is from the "Hamlet Historian" website in 2012 - "An unusual match that caught my fancy was not an Isthmian League fixture, but a charity match at the home of London Leaguers Streatham Town FC, against "Tom Barling's XI", on Wednesday 18th September. Barling was a Surrey cricketer and was bringing a side to their ground in Hassocks Road, Streatham Vale, to raise money for the Tom Walls’ Cancer Fund, and a 'good crowd was anticipated'. The Hamlet connection was the make up of the Barling XI: "Barling's team includes four of Dulwich Hamlet's Amateur Cup winning side, in Morrish, Goodliffe, Benka, and Hugo, another Surrey cricketer in F. Gamble, while Barling himself will play at inside-right."

This confimes an earlier post on NonLeagueMatters identifying Hassocks Road. There are a couple of sports ground at the east end of the road still in existance, one now the grounds of a school and the other the old National Wesminister Bank Sports Ground but neither seem contenders for the Town's home. More likely, the ground was to the South of Hassocks Road between it, Rowan Road and Windermere Road. A space once occupied by wartime industrial units and now modern houses in Stirling Close. A earlier suggestion that it is now beneath houses in Byards Close and Chilmark Drive is ruled out by Google Street which shows the houses there as being pre-war.

After 1937 there is no record of the club as far as senior football is concerned. Is anything else known?

aiwa
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 23, 2014, 8:18 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 27 (11763 views)
Shortcut
Re: [taylov] Streatham Town FC 1928-1937 ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The ground appears on the 1935 OS Map. It was behind the houses on Hassocks Road, Chilmark Road and Windermere Road. The ground is covered today by housing laid out to form Oxtoby Way and Byards Croft. I had this fact confirmed by the Local History Group of the Streatham Society.

VP
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 23, 2014, 8:50 PM

Post #3 of 27 (11750 views)
Shortcut
Re: [taylov] Streatham Town FC 1928-1937 ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
After 1937 there is no record of the club as far as senior football is concerned. Is anything else known?

I don't know if this is of interest but the London Gazette of 29th June 1937 printed the following:

NOTICE is hereby given that the Registrar of Friendly Societies has, pursuant to the Industrial and Provident Societies Act, 1893, this day cancelled the registry of the STREATHAM TOWN FOOTBALL AND SOCIAL CLUB AND INSTITUTE Limited (Register No. 11744 R. Surrey), held at Hassocks Road, Mitcham, S.W.16 in the county of Surrey at its request. The Society (subject to the right of appeal given by the said Act) ceases to enjoy the privileges of a registered Society, but without prejudice to any liability incurred by the Society, which may be enforced against it as if such cancelling had not taken place.—Dated the 25th day of June 1937.

(This post was edited by VP on Jan 23, 2014, 8:51 PM)

taylov
Junior Team Star

Jan 23, 2014, 10:15 PM

Team(s): Eastleigh; ex Malden Town, Kingstonian; Luton T ; Aldershot; Kings Langley

Post #4 of 27 (11722 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Streatham Town FC 1928-1937 ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks to VP and aiwa for the helpful replies.

The reference to the cancellation of the club's registration under the 1893 Act in June 1937 supports my finding that a file of papers for Streatham Town FC exists in the National Archives at Kew covering the period 1934-37 pertaining to that registration. No papers appear to exist after 1937.

However the Hassocks Road ground continued to be used for sport after the end of the 1936/37 football season with at least one season of baseball being played there by a team playing in the Metropolitan (amateur) Baseball League with players from the Streatham ice rink making up some of the team. The Streatham baseball club won their league in summer 1937. Ref - "British Baseball and the West Ham club" by Josh Chetwynd and Brian Belton (2007).

Whether football continued to be played after the 1936/37 season is uncertain. It may be that housing took place on all or part of the ground before WW2 and that this was the cause of their sudden demise. The 1945 view of Streatham Vale on Google Earth confirms that the houses already existed by the end of WW2.

(This post was edited by taylov on Jan 23, 2014, 10:22 PM)

BertD
Youth Team Star

Jan 24, 2014, 2:57 AM

Team(s): AFC Wimbledon

Post #5 of 27 (11696 views)
Shortcut

Their ground was at the eastern end of the area bounded by Hassocks Road, Chimark Road and Windemere Road. I believe the entrance was at the north-west of the ground, where Byards Croft now starts. There was a small stand in the south-eastern corner, running around half the length of the pitch, level with Windemere Road.

They reached the Surrey Senior Cup semi-final in 1935/36, beating Isthmian League winners and the previous season's Amateur Cup runner-up Wimbledon 3-2, but a replay was ordered due to several players not having been with the club sufficiently long enough to qualify to play. Wimbledon won the replayed game 4-2, and went on to lift the cup.

taylov
Junior Team Star

Jan 24, 2014, 9:17 AM

Post #6 of 27 (11669 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BertD] Streatham Town FC 1928-1937 ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks BertD

There's a Ardath cigarette card in their Photocard series of football teams showing the Streatham Town team, The info. on the rear of the card notes that the Town were also finalists in the London League Challenge Cup in both 1934/35 and 1935/36. See http://landmark.lambeth.gov.uk/...landmark&id=5247

According to my 1935 Park Royal programme, the Town played in "Green jerseys and White knickers". Their line-up at the end of March 1935 was - (goalkeeper) S.Speckman; (full backs) R.Earl and J.Jowsey; (half backs) R.Hutchings, A.Aylwin and T.Sealey; (forwards) H.Pratt, J.Dunstone; P.Gamble; L.Green and W.Salmon.

As regards access to the ground, the 1930s O.S. map shows two entrances; one at the North-west corner from Hassocks road and one at the South-east corner from Chilmark Road near its junction with Windermere Road. In fact that southern entrance still exists today, widened by the demolition of one adjacent house to become Oxtoby Way.

taylov
Junior Team Star

Jan 24, 2014, 3:46 PM

Post #7 of 27 (11629 views)
Shortcut

I found a couple of on-line pages featuring this Streatham football team, Streatham Vale FC. See photo at -

http://landmark.lambeth.gov.uk/...rence=&specifier=

The Streatham Vale Residents Association website seems to have confused them with the Town side and claimed the Hassocks Road ground as being Vale's home. In contrast, the Lambeth website states that Vale played on ground south of Churchmore Road which was allotments in the 1990s. The fact that the 2 grounds are less than 200 yards apart and that both club were successful in the 1930s has probably added to the confusion.

Streatham Vale FC played in the Streatham and District Football League and, unlike the Town club, was still active after WW2. I have a copy of the 1952/53 Surrey County FA handbook and the Vale are registered with the County FA then. Their date of formation was given as 1924.

(This post was edited by taylov on Jan 24, 2014, 8:20 PM)

VP

Jan 24, 2014, 8:08 PM

Post #8 of 27 (11588 views)
Shortcut

I don't want to confuse things but there was also a Streatham FC founded in 1882 who's ground was listed as 'Streatham Common'. They don't appear in the Surrey FA lists after 1888 so probably completely unlinked to Town and/or Vale.

(This post was edited by VP on Jan 24, 2014, 8:09 PM)

BertD
Youth Team Star

Jan 25, 2014, 12:08 AM

Team(s): AFC Wimbledon

Post #9 of 27 (11546 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Streatham Town FC 1928-1937 ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Another (presumably) Streatham played in the Southern Suburban League in 1938/39.

taylov
Junior Team Star

Jan 25, 2014, 12:19 PM

Post #10 of 27 (11512 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BertD] Streatham Town FC 1928-1937 ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Another (presumably) Streatham played in the Southern Suburban League in 1938/39.

I had assumed (not evidence at all) that this was either Streatham Vale FC or the old Town club having left the London League in June 1937 finding a home in the SSL. I haven't seen SSL tables from the late 1930s to see if they actually played a season or just registered to join the league.

Looking at the houses built on their Hassocks Road ground, they certainly look to be pre-war, so whoever this "Streatham" club was, they must have had a different ground to that of the Town club.

PaulC

Jan 25, 2014, 1:44 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #11 of 27 (11498 views)
Shortcut

1935 OS map showing Hassocks Road ground

A stand is shown. The line in front of stand suggests rail along just one side of pitch

see attachment
Attachments: streatham.gif (39.3 KB)

E&E Fred
Youth Team Star

Jan 28, 2014, 10:02 AM

Team(s): Epsom & Ewell FC

Post #12 of 27 (11366 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Streatham Town FC 1928-1937 ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just to add a couple more bits of information to this thread:

Streatham did indeed reach the London League Challenge Cup Final in 1934/35 against Finchley as they defeated Epsom Town 1-0 in the Semi-Final which for some reason was played at Carshalton Athletic in April 1935. Why a Semi-Final of a competition wasn't played at the home ground, I'm not sure, as I've no evidence of neutral grounds being used for semi-finals in this cup and in 1937/38 our only other appearance in the Semi-Final was played at home. Does anyone have further details on these comps by the way, as I've often wondered what happened in 1932/33, the very first year of the cup's existence as we won two rounds and by rights should have been in the Semis, but never appeared to play any more matches in the competition. Any help there would be great, thanks.

Anyway, in 1935 West Norwood almost moved to Streatham Town's ground while they were searching for a new ground, yet in 1937/38 Wandsworth Town suddenly appear. The notes I have refer to Wandsworth formerly being known as Streatham Town which would indicate a continuation of sorts and the records I have indicate that Epsom won 2-1 in the London League v Wandsworth United in a game played at "The Wandsworth Stadium". For 1938/39 though the Wandsworth home game was played at West Street, and the papers said this was because Wandsworth had no ground. They did not appear in the London League constitution for 1939/40.

Last Ground (581) - Cardiff City FC - 21st April 2018
Last Cup won - Combined Counties League Cup - 2013
Twitter - @EandERich

E&E Fred
Youth Team Star

Jan 28, 2014, 10:18 AM

Post #13 of 27 (11359 views)
Shortcut

Of the players listed, Bob Earl was a former West Ham pro who played for us from 1928 to 1932 and played for Streatham against us in October 1935 He lived in Tooting in the early thirties and frequently played full back, although he was sometimes centre-forward too!

L.Green joined us from Streatham in October 1935 having, like Earl, played against us on 5/10/35 and scored a hat trick on debut for us against Reigate Priory in our club record 13-1 Amateur Cup win on 12/10/35.

H.Pratt is almost certainly Hugh "Tipper" Pratt, who played for us briefly, but was a Sutton United regular in the thirties.

T.Sealey played briefly for the wartime Epsom Town in 1941/42.

Twitter - @EandERich

taylov
Junior Team Star

Jan 28, 2014, 10:33 AM

Post #14 of 27 (11356 views)
Shortcut
Re: [E&E Fred] Streatham Town FC 1928-1937 ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

E&E Fred posted -
"Anyway, in 1935 West Norwood almost moved to Streatham Town's ground while they were searching for a new ground, yet in 1937/38 Wandsworth Town suddenly appear. The notes I have refer to Wandsworth formerly being known as Streatham Town which would indicate a continuation of sorts and the records I have indicate that Epsom won 2-1 in the London League v Wandsworth United in a game played at "The Wandsworth Stadium". For 1938/39 though the Wandsworth home game was played at West Street, and the papers said this was because Wandsworth had no ground. They did not appear in the London League constitution for 1939/40."

Many thanks.

The "Wandsworth stadium" almost certainly refers to the Wandsworth Greyhound track which was demolished in the 1990s? to make way for the Southside Shopping Centre. A couple of photos of the old stadium can be seen on the local heritage website below.

http://www.flickr.com/...eservice/5597803146/
http://www.flickr.com/...3142/in/photostream/

I knew that both boxing and the odd rugby league game took place at the dog track (my mother went to see both sports there in her teens) and apparently my old Grandad was a regular there on dog race nights, but this is the first suggestion I've seen of football. Very interesting.

It has always seemed to me that the disappearance of Streatham and the birth of Wandsworth United in the London League might be linked. BTW the better known post-war club Wandsworth Town FC was formed in 1942.

(This post was edited by taylov on Jan 28, 2014, 10:47 AM)

E&E Fred
Youth Team Star

Jan 28, 2014, 11:23 AM

Post #15 of 27 (11337 views)
Shortcut

Nice work!

Football can't have been played there for too long as our match the following season wasn't there, so it could have been a really short lived experiment. Just goes to show that clubs had delusions of grandeur even back then!

Twitter - @EandERich

taylov
Junior Team Star

Jan 28, 2014, 1:04 PM

Post #16 of 27 (11321 views)
Shortcut
Re: [E&E Fred] Streatham Town FC 1928-1937 ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Nice work!

Football can't have been played there for too long as our match the following season wasn't there, so it could have been a really short lived experiment. Just goes to show that clubs had delusions of grandeur even back then!

The dictionary definition of "delusions of grandeur" should simply be Thames FC. "I know, I have a good idea let's play Southern League football in the biggest stadium ever built in Britain" Shocked.

A close second place goes to Hammersmith United of the Metropolitan League in 1949/50 who played in the 1908 London Olympic stadium aka the White City. It didn't help that one of their earliest games was Hammersmith United vs Dickinsons (Apsley), a works side from near Hemel Hempstead. Bet that attracted a crowd!

(This post was edited by taylov on Jan 28, 2014, 1:07 PM)

PaulC

Jan 28, 2014, 3:05 PM

Post #17 of 27 (11298 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

The dictionary definition of "delusions of grandeur" should simply be Thames FC. "I know, I have a good idea let's play Southern League football in the biggest stadium ever built in Britain" Shocked.

England, please.

taylov
Junior Team Star

Jan 28, 2014, 3:21 PM

Post #18 of 27 (11293 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Streatham Town FC 1928-1937 ? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

England, please.

There's always a problem with pre-WW2 capacity figures but contemporary newspapers stated a design capacity at Custom House of "over 180,000" which was claimed at the time to be the largest in Britain.

PaulC

Jan 28, 2014, 3:41 PM

Post #19 of 27 (11287 views)
Shortcut

Hampden had official capacity of 183,388 in 1937.

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Jan 28, 2014, 7:24 PM

Post #20 of 27 (11253 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I knew that both boxing and the odd rugby league game took place at the dog track

A couple of nice photos here on that subject.

http://www.mullocksauctions.co.uk/...on_rugby_league.html

Ronald Price
Youth Team Star

Feb 6, 2014, 10:31 AM

Team(s):

Post #21 of 27 (10913 views)
Shortcut

Streatham Town lost the lease of Hassocks Road to Fulham St Andrews (Southern Olympian League). I believe but never proved conclusively that the Saints were 'reformed' after Fulham adopted professionalism.

Ron Price

taylov
Junior Team Star

Apr 4, 2014, 10:33 PM

Post #22 of 27 (10048 views)
Shortcut

E&E Fred posted -
"Anyway, in 1935 West Norwood almost moved to Streatham Town's ground while they were searching for a new ground, yet in 1937/38 Wandsworth Town suddenly appear. The notes I have refer to Wandsworth formerly being known as Streatham Town which would indicate a continuation of sorts and the records I have indicate that Epsom won 2-1 in the London League v Wandsworth United in a game played at "The Wandsworth Stadium". For 1938/39 though the Wandsworth home game was played at West Street, and the papers said this was because Wandsworth had no ground. They did not appear in the London League constitution for 1939/40."

I, too, thought that Wandsworth Town was a new name in 1937/8, but I have just came across a 1934/35 Yearbook for the South West District Football League and there was "Wandsworth Town", a new club in the League playing in the S.W.D. Division One and their ground listed as......Wandsworth Greyhound Stadium.

It seems that they obtained membership of the London League having already played in the Stadium at a junior level for 2 or 3 seasons at a time when Streatham Town still existed. The only link between the 2 clubs may be that Wandsworth simply took the L.L. vacancy left by Streatham's demise.

(This post was edited by taylov on Apr 4, 2014, 10:56 PM)

Ronald Price
Youth Team Star

Apr 10, 2014, 10:25 AM

Team(s):

Post #23 of 27 (9884 views)
Shortcut

How the commercial promoters sought to raise income to balance their books in the 1930s applies to all such stadia.

It was not new because an examination of the Victorian era from about 1875 shows that most towns had benefactors that laid out superb recreation grounds, which often failed to raise income to support them.

Ron Price

taylov
Junior Team Star

Jun 25, 2014, 9:22 PM

Post #24 of 27 (9323 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
E&E Fred posted -

I, too, thought that Wandsworth Town was a new name in 1937/8, but I have just came across a 1934/35 Yearbook for the South West District Football League and there was "Wandsworth Town", a new club in the League playing in the S.W.D. Division One and their ground listed as......Wandsworth Greyhound Stadium.

It seems that they obtained membership of the London League having already played in the Stadium at a junior level for 2 or 3 seasons at a time when Streatham Town still existed. The only link between the 2 clubs may be that Wandsworth simply took the L.L. vacancy left by Streatham's demise.

I recently came across a 1934 programme from Wandsworth Stadium (photo attached below). As far as I can tell the same colour cover was used for all sports at the stadium with a 8 page insert for the particular sport - This programme is for an outdoors boxing event with the "top of the bill" fight being between Eddie Phillips of Bow, London and the great Welshman, Tommy Farr who 3 years later fought Joe Louis at Yankee Stadium for World's Heavyweight crown.

I can confirm that same card cover was also used for Greyhound racing and for Rugby League at the Stadium. Examples have appeared on Ebay. What would be nice if a Wandsworth Town FC programme turned up with the same cover.
Attachments: 001.jpg (145 KB)

Redwood
Youth Team Sub

Jan 13, 2019, 6:57 AM

Post #25 of 27 (3625 views)
Shortcut

Perusing the Surrey Mirror of 10Sep37 and the report for the FA Cup Extra Preliminary tie between Wandsworth United and Redhill states 'Streatham having become Wandsworth Town since the draw for the F.A Cup was made Redhill, visited Wandsworth Stadium on Saturday, and, on a pitch that encroached on the dog track, with a resultant roughness on those parts..........."

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3