Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Saturday 11th January

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

sandhurstbee
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 13, 2014, 1:12 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #101 of 116 (3677 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burgesshillbee] Saturday 11th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Brentford 2 v 0 Port Vale FL Div 1 Admission S/T Prog 3 Coffee 1.80 Att 8327

The winning run continues, Bees had to make a few changes due to injuries but after a shaky start they got going and went ahead after half an hour when Trotta scored and from then on they dominated for the rest of the game. Only added a second late on from Griggs due to outstanding Port Vale keeper who kept the score down to 2 and also a dubious disallowed goal when Donaldson headed home when the keeper seemed to jump into him, despite that the referee actually had a decent game. Alan McCormack was Man of Match and a mention for Kevin O'Connor who played his first match in 4 months slotting in at Centre half as though he had played there all season.

Info for the Stattos out there, it was Brentford's 8th Consecuitve League win a club record and also their 1000th Home win in the Football League and lastly it was Kevin O'Connors 6th game of the season and in each game we have conceded a different amount of goals namely 0,1,2,3,4 and 5. Hopefully we wont concede 6 in his seventh game or it might be one we lose Smile

Also at this, 3 key players missing, good to see we seem to have strength in depth
Smile

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

davy c
First Team Star

Jan 13, 2014, 2:39 PM

Post #102 of 116 (3605 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Saturday 11th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Rotherham 4 The Alex 2
Att7700 odd (456 from Crewe)
Admission 20 (advance)
Prog 3

Let the train take the strain which was a good call as the Sheffield Tap on Sheffield station was bloody marvellous.

Grounds been well covered on here so wont bore you. Game was a good one, which The Alex should have at least drawn. Both sides had a real go, the differnce being Crew's somewhat flimsy approach to defensive duties, a problem that has always been in evidence for the last 20 years plus.

Turning points came in a mad 3 minute spell, Crewe 2-1 up, very very soft penalty given to the home side (did he touch him ?, was it inside the box ?) 2-2, moments later we get a pen, no one appealed, I certainly didnt see anything wrong, Bosses son takes the pen, and its was a poor pen, easily saved. Staright from the this pen save, straight down the other end and the Millers are 3-2 up !!. Two excellent chances to equalise were spurned for the visitors and the injury time 4th by the excellent Frecklington rubbed further salt in Alex wounds.

That said it was fine day out

twitter @davyc1976

jimmyb
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 13, 2014, 3:37 PM

Team(s): Lochgelly Albert, Bath City, Odd Down

Post #103 of 116 (3577 views)
Shortcut
Re: [davy c] Saturday 11th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SPARTANS 1 EDINBURGH CITY 3
Scottish Sun Lowland League Cup @ Ainslie Park, Edinburgh.

ADM- 5
PROGS- YES 1.50
ATT- APPROX 90

Got away from work earlier than expected on Sat but by the time i got back to Lochgelly and get changed, dug oot etc, i was too late to get any transport to Harthill for the game v Lochgelly Albert. Decided as it was a 3pm kick off i would make my annual visit to Spartans as Ainslie Park is always a decent alternative when the worst of the weather arrives.
Spartans actually had grub available for a change in the clubhouse (never had any before anytime i've been) so sampled the last 2 pies before kick off time.
Spartans are top of the lowland league (though it counts for hee haw as there are no play offs in place in what is a trial season for the lowland league) and their near neighbours City had been in a poor run of form so a straightforward home victory looked on the cards. The home side were awarded a penalty after only 10 mins when one of the city defenders had a bearhug on a home striker but McLeod hit the outside of the left post from the spot and the chance was lost. City keeper then made an unbelievable save on 20 mins as it looked only a matter of time before Spartans took the lead, but they would pay dearly for those misses in the end.
City came more into the match and missed a good chance just before the interval but it remained scoreless at half time.

The match was much more even in the early stages of the 2nd half but neither keeper was seriously tested but on the hour mark City broke forward and a lay off to Guthrie saw him fire into the bottom corner from 20 yards out. City's tails were now up and they doubled their lead in 63 mins when sub Devlin crashed a shot in off the post from 12 yards out. Spartans huffed and puffed but ran out of ideas around the 18 yard line and the home dugout got increasingly agitated. Home boss Dougie Samuel was raging when City were awarded a free kick 20 yards out in 77 mins, the city player appeared to slip and fell into the Spartans player but amazingly the ref gave the foul. Samuel's rage intensified when Aaron James curled the free kick in off the underside of the crossbar to make it 0-3.
Spartans were awarded another penalty in the 90th minute after a spot of shirt pulling in the box and this time McLeod made no mistake, thundering the penalty high into the net. No time left for any Spartans comebacks this time and City overall deserved the win and looked a better side than what their previous results had suggested.

Jaundiced Hack
First Team Star

Jan 13, 2014, 6:35 PM

Post #104 of 116 (3460 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Saturday 11th January [In reply to] Can't Post or

EDIT : This appears to be the ground used by the now-defunct Portway Bristol who left the Western League in 1987 after being denied promotion back to its top division. I thought I saw our forum's jaundiced hack here who would have given me the full history; turned out to be a different old baldy entirely Tongue

No it wasn't, I was there!
It is indeed the pitch which Portway Bristol used all ythose years ago. There used to be a small brick stand roughly where the dug outs are but that was hoyed into the woods behind after some kind of land dispute. When I refereed in this league Shire played on a pitch near the cricket pavilion while Portway were there and I believe it is because they were so far from the changing rooms that they were denied promotion and subsequently faded away

(This post was edited by Jaundiced Hack on Jan 13, 2014, 6:36 PM)

miswell
Reserve Team Star

Jan 13, 2014, 7:10 PM

Team(s): Aylesbury Utd, Tring Athletic, Watford

Post #105 of 116 (3428 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WestBerksPalace] Saturday 11th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I don't know how many of you on here do the public transport lark week in week out. In my experience it's almost always painful! Arrived at Reading station, to miss the 12:13pm fast train to Paddington by 30 seconds. Well, actually they had locked the doors and wouldn't let anyone on at 12:12!

I usually start by turning up on time for my train! Wink

Chapeltom
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 13, 2014, 7:31 PM

Team(s): Sheffield Wednesday (ENG), Uni Lions (Taiwan baseball)

Post #106 of 116 (3412 views)
Shortcut
Re: [miswell] Saturday 11th January [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To
I don't know how many of you on here do the public transport lark week in week out. In my experience it's almost always painful! Arrived at Reading station, to miss the 12:13pm fast train to Paddington by 30 seconds. Well, actually they had locked the doors and wouldn't let anyone on at 12:12!

It is a common thing across the network for doors to shut at least 40 seconds before departure so the wheels are rolling at the scheduled departure time.

miswell
Reserve Team Star

Jan 13, 2014, 10:42 PM

Team(s): Aylesbury Utd, Tring Athletic, Watford

Post #107 of 116 (3303 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chapeltom] Saturday 11th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

It is a common thing across the network for doors to shut at least 40 seconds before departure so the wheels are rolling at the scheduled departure time.

2 minutes for Virgin out of Euston.

Kirky
Youth Team Sub

Jan 14, 2014, 8:48 AM

Post #108 of 116 (3226 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jimmyb] Saturday 11th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Here's my blogger's view of the spectating experience at Harrogate Railway v. Darlington 1883.

http://www.facupgroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/...ic-0-darlington.html

Station View is not the greatest arena in the north but is much improved - and just 20 mins down the road for me so an ideal winter afternoon out.

Paul.

Paul.

http://www.facupgroundhopper.blogspot.com

acmold

Jan 14, 2014, 9:35 AM

Post #109 of 116 (3207 views)
Shortcut
Re: [miswell] Saturday 11th January [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

2 minutes for Virgin out of Euston.

At Oxford Station there are notices to say doors will shut before the actual departure so the train leaves on time, presume the same sort of notices would be displayed at Reading.

Castle
Reserve Team Sub

Jan 14, 2014, 9:58 AM

Team(s): Huncote FC / Porthmadog FC

Post #110 of 116 (3196 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Saturday 11th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Mid-Season Friendly

Hinckley United U21 Development-3 v Anstey Nomads-2

Admission-Free (with my season ticket)

An intriguing one this. With Hinckley's last two planned fixtures being postponed by the rain, Head of Football Development Neil Lyne acted swiftly to arrange this friendly against Anstey Nomads' 1st team, who were without a game and had their new manager (former Friar Lane gaffer) Nick Brett in charge for the first time.

The game proved a real test for the young Hinckley who found themselves 0-2 down within the opening minutes of the 2nd half. With the game looking flat, most teams in this situation would probably take the hit, however Hinckley proved they have a real fighting spirit and soon drew level with plenty of the half remaining. Then within the final 10 minutes the EMC side showed their new manager where the problems are as their defence crumbled to allow Hinckley to grab a third and winning goal. An afternoon played in the glorious sunshine in a stadium that is looking ready for senior team football next season when there could very well be two Hinckley teams representing the town.

Ancient Wolf
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 14, 2014, 3:49 PM

Team(s): Middlesbrough and Norton and Stockton Ancients

Post #111 of 116 (3110 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Saturday 11th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sutton United 1 Hampton 1 ht 0-0 Midland Combination Div 1 att c30
No admission/programme

Met up with Stroller who was nearly back on home territory. Club had wanted game off but ref overuled them correctly as it was perfectly playable. My third visit and I am still to get a prog.
No hard standing/cover or floodlights yet.

Chorley2002
First Team Star

Jan 15, 2014, 1:44 PM

Team(s): Ilford and Thorne Colliery.

Post #112 of 116 (2967 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Runwell] Saturday 11th January 2014. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

East Midlands Counties League
Barrow Town 3 Ellistown & Ibstock 4
Admission: 5.00
Programme: Included with the admission price
Bacon Bap: 1.70
Tea: 70p
Badge: 2.50

Dropped off by UK Punk and his two other passengers following a meal at a pub in the village. Got here early as they were making their way to Eastwood Town (which I did in August 2007).
This will have to go down as one of the best step six matches ever seen. Good end to end stuff with plenty of chances created.
The visitors tok the lead inside the first five minutes. Barrow responded with goals in the 19th and 41st minutes. The lead was held onto past the interval.

HALF TIME 2-1

Both sides were sensing that a win was there for the taking and both keepers were quite busy. A leveller from the visitors came in the 67th minute. The level terms only lasted until the 69th minute when Barrow regained the lead. However, Ellistown & Ibstock were not to be denied and it only took them one minute from going behind again to scoring a third in the 70th minute. The winner came in the 73rd minute and this time there was to be no comeback for Barrow. Half hearted appeals from a couple of home side players for a penalty fell on deaf ears and the visitors hung on and gained the three points.

Have only done five in this league now, but this was the first time I have done a new ground in it for an actual East Midlands Counties League game (was also my first match in this league) as the other four were done whilst they were members of the Central Midlands League. Would recommend a visit and found this to be a friendly club.

Photos and clips have been uploaded onto Photobucket and You Tube at:

http://s911.photobucket.com/...92570440965042696469

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJrp8K1SfM4

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 15, 2014, 1:47 PM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #113 of 116 (2967 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jamon Jamon] Saturday 11th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Hastings 1 Peacehaven and Telscombe 2
Att: 565 (inc 6 Peacehaven, although I did see what looked like a bloke that lives in the street I used to live, that'd make 7, But I wasn't sure so I didn't speak to him)

Lovely old ground, friendly fans (I don't mind being called a twat or an inbred, I'm a big boy), great atmosphere from the home fans and 3 points for us, generally a good day out. Hopefully they'll bring 300 to our place and give us a pay day (we only get about 120), although we don't need the money because apparently we're "being funded by the same people that fund White'awk", first I've heard!

Also at this game, only noticed the 4 of you, in what was an excellent turnout overall. You did do a bit of singing yourselves, more than I expected - though we were amused when in the middle of the 3rd rendition of "I'm Peacehaven through and through", one of your fans relayed the radio news that West Ham had scored and 2 of you celebrated wildly at the news....Wink

Game was tight, not many shots on target, with Peacehaven getting the upper hand as the game progressed - no great surprise when they turned the winner in late on, having been behind at half time.

First visit to Pilot Field for Ponte Carlo and I, surprisingly flat given it's hilly location. Goold old long stand down one side, tin shed behind the far goal and a large terrace set back from the pitch nearside. Down the other side is just hard standing, with the grass bank there out of bounds. Some people watched from a path which we assumed is part of the next door Elphinstone Sports Club - which also had an old stand. I presume that not being enclosed and being able to watch from there is not a problem if it's private land?

Catering is expensive with a pie being 3.50 - our advice is to make for the 'Soup Dragon' next to the main tea-bar, 2 a cup of home made soup and hardly any queue throughout. The clubhouse is by the entry, plenty of scope to watch the game from the balcony, but no ale on. Pre-game stops were made at the Bright Helm spoons in Brighton (best spoons brekkie I've ever had), Dripping Spring and Tower in St Leonards and the Mount Pleasant Inn in Ore; the Tower being the pick, though 4 very hoppy style beers isn't the greatest variety to offer - both Wednesday v Leeds and Hull v Chelsea on helped. Post-match we walked into Hastings and the First In Last Out was the pick there, with it's own brews (Porter was very good) but the rest there were unremarkable. Good day out and beautiful sunny day.

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (968) Dusseldorfer Strasse DSV 1900 1-4 DJK Blau Weiss Mintard
With FC United: 136
On the agenda:
4/12 Hamburg II v Luneburg Hansa
7/12 Fc United v Matlock Town

(This post was edited by oftenscore6 on Jan 15, 2014, 1:48 PM)

NDN1984
Youth Team Sub

Jan 15, 2014, 3:30 PM

Team(s): Birmingham City my main team, local non-league sides.

Post #114 of 116 (2941 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HampshireLad2] Saturday 11th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sorry this is late:

SKRILL CONFERENCE SOUTH
Woodspring Stadium
Weston-super-mare 2
Tonbridge Angels 1

Attendance: 258

Admission: 12 Programme: 2.50 Food: Sausage Roll 1.00 Can of Pop 80p

My first football match in two years, and first in my new home town.

First fifteen minutes were very lively, both teams had chances and a couple of impressive saves from the Weston keeper Lloyd Irish. The Tonbridge goal was a defensive error from Weston, and the Weston goal was scored from a free kick. Tonbridge had a player sent off before half-time which was a very vicious tackle on a Weston player that resulted into a brawl almost.

Second half, very frustrating for Weston. Many missed chances, and some impressive saves at both ends from each keeper. Tonbridge became more dirtier as the game progressed, and a handball led to a penalty for Weston in the 90th minute, which was the match winner.

Overall, a frustrating and bad tempered match - a good atmosphere from both Weston and Tonbridge supporters.

Jamon Jamon
Youth Team Sub

Jan 15, 2014, 8:04 PM

Team(s): FC United of Peacehaven & Hove Albion

Post #115 of 116 (2898 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Saturday 11th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Hastings 1 Peacehaven and Telscombe 2
Att: 565 (inc 6 Peacehaven, although I did see what looked like a bloke that lives in the street I used to live, that'd make 7, But I wasn't sure so I didn't speak to him)

Lovely old ground, friendly fans (I don't mind being called a twat or an inbred, I'm a big boy), great atmosphere from the home fans and 3 points for us, generally a good day out. Hopefully they'll bring 300 to our place and give us a pay day (we only get about 120), although we don't need the money because apparently we're "being funded by the same people that fund White'awk", first I've heard!

Also at this game, only noticed the 4 of you, in what was an excellent turnout overall. You did do a bit of singing yourselves, more than I expected - though we were amused when in the middle of the 3rd rendition of "I'm Peacehaven through and through", one of your fans relayed the radio news that West Ham had scored and 2 of you celebrated wildly at the news....Wink [Quote oftenscore6]

I'm the only singer we've got. I don't think our 4 ...erm...'ultras' have got much league experience when it comes to songs! where as me, I'm an MRE boy!
I'm Peacehaven through and through (don't know the song though) but I'd never cheer a West Ham goal, FCUM maybe but not the spanners!

wild kids will fix you Clive!

(This post was edited by Jamon Jamon on Jan 15, 2014, 8:07 PM)

UKPunk

Jan 17, 2014, 2:56 PM

Post #116 of 116 (2781 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jamon Jamon] Saturday 11th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday 11th January
Northern Premier League Division 1 South
Eastwood Town (1)2 Carlton town (1)2 KO 15:02 Att'ce 157
Admission 8 Programme 2 Tea 1

Having not been the pilot for a while I thought I'd do the decent thing and drive myself, AndyFTM, Chorley2002 and BDC0652 to the midlands for our footy fix. First we had to locate Barrow Town FC to make sure the weather hadn't scuppered Chorley's choice of game, and after driving past the concealed entrance a number of times finally got inside to be told it was game on.

On the advice of someone at Barrow Town we decamped to the Three Crowns pub nearby for our pre-match meal and made our selections from the 8.50 list, my choice being a very enjoyable and filling pie, mash, peas and gravy. I think we may well be visiting again when we're next in the area.

We deposited Chorley back at Barrow Town and made our way to Eastwood Town. Cups of tea were acquired before we watched a very enjoyable 90 minutes of football. Eastwood took the lead after 5 minutes with a header from a corner and another header on 18 levelled the scores.

More tea was drunk before the second half in which Eastwood retook the lead after 66 minutes with a free kick from 30 yards that dipped over the keeper before Carlton equalised with an impressive free kick of their own 7 minutes later which went straight into the bottom corner.

TomTom took us down a blocked road on the way back to Barrow to pick Chorley up but we eventually found our way to the ground. A quick wee in the bushes outside the gates was required but just as BDC0652 got into his flow someone leaving the club put their headlights on, the beam illuminating his clandestine activity. I'm sure no-one saw anything but it was amusing nonetheless. Having said that, he would no doubt say the same thing about my inability to find Barrow Town. Cool

Thanks as always to the boys for their company and conversation which this week included such topics as ex-partners, Captain Condom and to do lists.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3