Home: Archive: Other FA Competitions:
FA Youth cup question?

MarkInGorleston
First Team Star

Dec 19, 2013, 10:40 AM

Post #1 of 5 (17405 views)
Shortcut
FA Youth cup question? Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have noticed on the Eastern Counties bulletin that Histon U18s were getting to play football league sides in the FA Youth Cup, I think it was last year they played Liverpool. They had a run again this season, one of the furthest to progress in the ECL.
My question.

How is the seeding done? Is it based on how the Youth team performed the year previously?, as that might explain why Histon get further or is it based on the first team?, as I notice in John's last update that the 4th Round appears to be all football league clubs. (as in the 92)
Thanks John, or anyone else who may know.

I would laugh my head off if AFCW went down along with ColUwe and We**ham.

(This post was edited by MarkInGorleston on Dec 19, 2013, 10:42 AM)

Mishi
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 19, 2013, 1:51 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #2 of 5 (17389 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MarkInGorleston] FA Youth cup question? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I believe there used to be exemptions based on previous runs, but not any more, for a few seasons now. Football League sides come in at the first round proper, with the 'big boys' (top two divisions, maybe?) at the third round proper.

That's part guesswork from me though...

Grounds visited: 724
Last new ground: SC Nienstedten; Quellental, Hamburg, Germany. (Hamburg Landesliga Hammonia-Staffel)
Last game: Sunday 21st July 2018: Bromley 1, Dulwich Hamlet 1-Dulwich Hamlet win 6-5 on penalties. [Glyn Beverly Memorial Trophy]
Football matches watched this season: 9
2017/18-New English grounds: 1; & foreign: 2

MarkInGorleston
First Team Star

Dec 19, 2013, 1:55 PM

Post #3 of 5 (17388 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] FA Youth cup question? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I believe there used to be exemptions based on previous runs, but not any more, for a few seasons now. Football League sides come in at the first round proper, with the 'big boys' (top two divisions, maybe?) at the third round proper.

That's part guesswork from me though...

On that basis then Histon's record is very impressive and with no byes. Thanks Mishi.

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 19, 2013, 3:06 PM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 5 (17374 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MarkInGorleston] FA Youth cup question? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Youth Cup began in 1952-53 and was strictly regionalised.

They even had 128 entries one year but still kept 17 in one section and 15 in another, rather than a handy 16 in each

The North-West section was always strong and as luck would have it in 1961 all the minnows got the byes
leaving Manchester U., Manchester C., Everton, Liverpool, Burnley, Blackburn to play each other for the right to meet a "minnow"

So exemptions were introduced based on recent records with 30 clubs exempted to the last 64 (then the 2nd Rd, now the 3rd)
and 50 clubs exempted to the 1st Rd.

North-West clubs not exempted then found it hard to get exempted as there were a number of F.L. clubs striving to "escape" qualifying
and when they did they usually plunged another one back in to the mire.

Eventually in 1998 they re-vamped the system to that of the F.A. Cup with top two tiers exempt to last 64 (3rd Rd)
and next two tiers exempt to 1st Rd. However all non-league clubs are treated the same and start in the Preliminary
Qualifying Round or the round after if they receive a bye. So they have 3 or 4 rounds to negotiate in order to reach the 1st Rd.

So as you say Histon did very well to reach the 4th round last season.

The best non-league performance is reaching the semi-final by Huntley & Palmers of Reading in the first season
where they got thumped over two legs by Wolves but the times were rather different then with just 93 entrants.

MarkInGorleston
First Team Star

Dec 19, 2013, 4:40 PM

Post #5 of 5 (17364 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] FA Youth cup question? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The Youth Cup began in 1952-53 and was strictly regionalised.

They even had 128 entries one year but still kept 17 in one section and 15 in another, rather than a handy 16 in each

The North-West section was always strong and as luck would have it in 1961 all the minnows got the byes
leaving Manchester U., Manchester C., Everton, Liverpool, Burnley, Blackburn to play each other for the right to meet a "minnow"

So exemptions were introduced based on recent records with 30 clubs exempted to the last 64 (then the 2nd Rd, now the 3rd)
and 50 clubs exempted to the 1st Rd.

North-West clubs not exempted then found it hard to get exempted as there were a number of F.L. clubs striving to "escape" qualifying
and when they did they usually plunged another one back in to the mire.

Eventually in 1998 they re-vamped the system to that of the F.A. Cup with top two tiers exempt to last 64 (3rd Rd)
and next two tiers exempt to 1st Rd. However all non-league clubs are treated the same and start in the Preliminary
Qualifying Round or the round after if they receive a bye. So they have 3 or 4 rounds to negotiate in order to reach the 1st Rd.

So as you say Histon did very well to reach the 4th round last season.

The best non-league performance is reaching the semi-final by Huntley & Palmers of Reading in the first season
where they got thumped over two legs by Wolves but the times were rather different then with just 93 entrants.

Thanks John for the info. Very good.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3