Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: All Other Football Interests: Women's Football:
UEFA Competitition Grounds

T P Johnson
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 10, 2013, 10:26 AM

Post #1 of 18 (90412 views)
Shortcut
UEFA Competitition Grounds Can't Post or Reply Privately

Watched 2 games on Eurosport yesterday and games were played at the National Stadium in Tallinn and at FC Twente and on looking on the UEFA website most games appear to be played on the same grounds as the mens sides yet I see both Birmingham City and Arsenal play on non league grounds. Any reason for this.

Tim Johnson

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 10, 2013, 12:30 PM

Post #2 of 18 (90406 views)
Shortcut
Re: [T P Johnson] UEFA Competitition Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Arsenal's case, the women's team have played at Boreham Wood since before the move to the Emirates. At Highbury the pitch was natural grass so having the women's, youth and reserves play on it would not have been practical so they were farmed out to Boreham Wood, Barnet and, on occasion, St Albans. In the women's case, they have continued this as the ground if far more suited to the crowds they get than what would be a cavernously empty Emirates. I assume similar for Birmingham - ground too big and grass pitch with men's 1st, reserve and youth plus women's team to cater for.

zebedee
First Team Star

Oct 12, 2013, 12:07 AM

Team(s): Southport

Post #3 of 18 (90336 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] UEFA Competitition Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I suspect that some (most?) of the teams involved will play their domestic games at smaller venues. I assume that part of the reasons to switch would be the greater prestige of the European games, but I suspect that floodlighting will also come into play - UEFA competition requires a fairly high lux rating. This has affected English teams in the past - when Everton took part they had to play at Widnes instead of Marine and I think Arsenal have had early afternoon kickoffs to avoid needing floodlights.

jrev61

Oct 13, 2013, 12:01 PM

Team(s): None

Post #4 of 18 (90266 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zebedee] UEFA Competitition Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I suspect that some (most?) of the teams involved will play their domestic games at smaller venues. I assume that part of the reasons to switch would be the greater prestige of the European games, but I suspect that floodlighting will also come into play - UEFA competition requires a fairly high lux rating. This has affected English teams in the past - when Everton took part they had to play at Widnes instead of Marine and I think Arsenal have had early afternoon kickoffs to avoid needing floodlights.

According to the Europsort commentator FC Twente ladies play all their games at the main stadium, and have average attendances of around 2,000.

jrev61

cope1

Oct 14, 2013, 1:14 AM

Post #5 of 18 (90222 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zebedee] UEFA Competitition Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
~ Arsenal have had early afternoon kickoffs to avoid needing floodlights.

Yes. Frankly I think it one of the most stupid decisions they have made. It would be perfectly justifiable to use Emirates for European games but even if they didn't I'm sure they could find another venue where the lighting was of high enough lux to allow them to play in the evening. As it is, the gates must be half what it might have been. I haven't been to a European game for years, partly because when they've been on weekends I've not been around but more often than not because I'm not prepared to take a half day to watch a football match.

grumblegrumblegrumble....

jrev61

Oct 16, 2013, 8:29 PM

Team(s): None

Post #6 of 18 (90105 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] UEFA Competitition Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Vfl Wolfsburg Ladies played at Vfl Stadion am Elsterweg which apparently is the former stadium of the men's team. They couldn't match the 14-0 win in the first leg struggling to a 13-0 win, albeit with 9 team changes from the first game. 27-0 is probably a record aggregate score in any UEFA match.
Every time Wolfsburg scored the PA played 'Rama Lama Ding Dong' by Rocky Sharpe and the Replays. Very odd!

jrev61

cope1

Oct 20, 2013, 2:26 PM

Post #7 of 18 (89886 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] UEFA Competitition Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Every time Wolfsburg scored the PA played 'Rama Lama Ding Dong' by Rocky Sharpe and the Replays. Very odd!

I bet that's killed that one as a favourite in those there parts after that result.

hucknallite
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 29, 2014, 10:48 AM

Team(s): Forest, Hucknall

Post #8 of 18 (83331 views)
Shortcut

Birmingham City ladies play at Stratford Town's ground which is absurd. 25 miles away. How many brummies are prepared to travel that far. Are there no grounds nearer that could be suitable? Sutton Coldfield? How do they expect to promote women's football like that? It's like Nottingham Forest ladies playing at Grantham.

cope1

Jan 29, 2014, 11:59 AM

Post #9 of 18 (83324 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hucknallite] UEFA Competitition Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I quite agree. I can only assume that, like sport in Australia and the US, it is geared up for drivers. Perhaps 'soccer moms' are the target audience. I went to a baseball game in Oz and it took 2 hours on public transport to go what would have taken 20 minutes in a car to get there. It was 30 minutes' walk from the station and not a single bus went any closer than that. We even asked on the way out where we might find a cab and the guy looked nonplussed - we must have been the first people who'd ever gone there without driving.

DavetheGlassboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 8, 2014, 11:43 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Warrington RLFC, Stourport HC

Post #10 of 18 (82444 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hucknallite] UEFA Competitition Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Birmingham City ladies play at Stratford Town's ground which is absurd. 25 miles away. How many brummies are prepared to travel that far. Are there no grounds nearer that could be suitable?

I believe they're moving to Solihull Moors for 2014.

Last new ground (848): Giant Axe - Lancaster v Stourbridge 23/11/19
Last game: as above
Football seen in: England, Wales, Scotland, Italy, France, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain, Austria, Croatia, Jersey, Sweden, Switzerland, Republic of Ireland, United States of America, Ukraine, Montenegro, Estonia, San Marino, Slovenia, Northern Ireland, Malta, Lithuania, Russia, Belgium, Portugal, Czech Republic, Bulgaria

Roker Rover
Junior Team Star

May 19, 2014, 10:13 PM

Team(s): Sunderland, Gateshead, Ryton and Crawcrook Albion, Uxbridge, Durham CCC.

Post #11 of 18 (76670 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Birmingham City ladies play at Stratford Town's ground which is absurd. 25 miles away. How many brummies are prepared to travel that far. Are there no grounds nearer that could be suitable? Sutton Coldfield? How do they expect to promote women's football like that? It's like Nottingham Forest ladies playing at Grantham.

Or dare I say, Lincoln Ladies playing at Notts County?

sjosta
First Team Regular

Nov 13, 2014, 8:51 AM

Team(s): Groundhopper, ABE

Post #12 of 18 (74383 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Roker Rover] UEFA Competitition Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Glasgow City, playing at the Excelsior,through to the last 8 of the Women's Champions League last night. Not a word on the so-called BBC.

Shameful!

All they needed to do was link up to the Glasgow City twittersphere.

Football seen in: Scotland (268 grounds), England (969), Germany (289), Sweden (208), Netherlands (67), Wales (27), Ireland (S&N)(23/4), Austria (9), France (6), Denmark(5), Belgium(3),Italy(2), Luxembourg (2), Spain (2), Liechtenstein, Jersey, Switzerland, Canada
Figures correct(ish) at end of season 14-15 (1898 total)
For all your Fife needs:
Fife Junior History

cope1

Nov 13, 2014, 10:43 AM

Post #13 of 18 (74368 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sjosta] UEFA Competitition Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Glasgow City, playing at the Excelsior,through to the last 8 of the Women's Champions League last night. Not a word on the so-called BBC.

Shameful!

It wasn't much better when Arsenal were in it. What they need to do is actually go out and find out what's happening. The 'headline' under the Women's Football heading on the Football home page usually reads 'See what's new in women's football', or something similar, which we all know is a euphemism for 'Can't be arsed to update this bit so will use a timeless headline which never needs changing'.

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Nov 13, 2014, 6:57 PM

Post #14 of 18 (74327 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sjosta] UEFA Competitition Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Shameful!

You mean apart from this match report then?
Following up the report they had of the first leg.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/.../0/football/30009553

cope1

Nov 13, 2014, 9:14 PM

Post #15 of 18 (74306 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] UEFA Competitition Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The goalkeeper in that photo appears to be on 2nd base... ;)

Fanatic
First Team Star

Nov 13, 2014, 10:30 PM

Team(s):

Post #16 of 18 (74285 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Shameful!

When I looked on the BBC Football website earlier today, it was one of the top few headlines. It's still the top headline (or at least the manager's post match views) for the women's football section.

sjosta
First Team Regular

Nov 14, 2014, 4:30 PM

Team(s): Groundhopper, ABE

Post #17 of 18 (74120 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] UEFA Competitition Grounds [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Shameful!

You mean apart from this match report then?
Following up the report they had of the first leg.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/.../0/football/30009553

after the completion of the match (long after) ; while they have live reports from all sorts of other games

Football seen in: Scotland (268 grounds), England (969), Germany (289), Sweden (208), Netherlands (67), Wales (27), Ireland (S&N)(23/4), Austria (9), France (6), Denmark(5), Belgium(3),Italy(2), Luxembourg (2), Spain (2), Liechtenstein, Jersey, Switzerland, Canada
Figures correct(ish) at end of season 14-15 (1898 total)
For all your Fife needs:
Fife Junior History

(This post was edited by sjosta on Nov 14, 2014, 4:33 PM)

Richard Rundle

Nov 15, 2014, 10:10 PM

Post #18 of 18 (73796 views)
Shortcut

It was noted every 30 minutes on the 5 Live sport round-up for several hours afterwards, as was Bristol Academy's win as well.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3