First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 29, 2013, 10:58 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #1 of 133 (9802 views)
Shortcut
Budget Airlines Can't Post or Reply Privately

Do you rate them?Have they left you high and dry?Personally ive just had a couple with easyjet and have been pleasantly surprised with the customer service and efficiancy.Have i spent years and a sackful of cash going to Heathrow to fly the flag?

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 29, 2013, 11:12 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #2 of 133 (9794 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Budget Airlines [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You get what you pay for , it's just that difficult nowadays to actually know what you are paying for with budget airlines. Think using the bog is still free.
KLM tomorrow so should manage an odd Heineken.
See you soon.

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 132/ 108 / 24(You know my rules) @ 12 /12 /2018.(Only 9 x 0-0's)

Project TFTTUEFAG's2018/19. Clubs 712.Grounds (Variable).
Need - 108 ( 15.2%).

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

Sep 30, 2013, 11:58 AM

Team(s): Calne Town, Darlington, Rosenborg, Sussex CCC, Huddersfield RL

Post #3 of 133 (9760 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Budget Airlines [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The gap between what you get with a Budget carrier and what you get with a Flag carrier is narrower than it was. If you know how to play the game with the likes of Ryanair you can expect to pay next to nothing for your flight, probably get a seat roughly where you want on the plane and not be annoyed by screaming/balling children. Your plane will almost certainly arrive early.

That said, you will be treated like a farm animal, have to make sure you turn up at the Gate 30 mins before it closes and probably stand for most of that time unless you are feeling brave about the numbers on the flight. Heaven forbid you are going for more than a few days away as they will charge you more for your bag than for your seat! This is probably due to the fact that the seating is so cramped your bag will probably have more room!

If you travel with someone like BA, you can turn up at the gate around the time its called, won't have to play Russian Roulette with your baggage restrictions and will be treated more like a human being. However they will not make much effort to keep the plane to time and if its via Heathrow it will almost certainly be late as, if a butterfly crashlands in Singapore, the knock on effect to LHR lasts 3 hours. You will probably get some sort of food, but it won't be very nice, though the coffee and soft drinks will be welcome in many cases. You will be able to book your seat (which will actually have some legroom!) in your chosen place with absolutely no guarantee that next door to you there won't be a non English speaking woman in clothes she has been flying round the world in for about a week, with a squalling brat for the entire flight. For all this, you will pay about the same as you would with Easyjet, if you book early enough, who pretend they are a Budget Arline but aren't anymore and appear to fall directly in between the two, but are much more pleasant towards their livestock.

All the above based on relatively recent personal experience.

I guess what I am saying is, with Ryanair you get what you pay for (but it isn't much), with a lot of the others you don't !

"Run For the Hills Before They Burn"

Checkout my Facebook page "Proper Football Grounds"

facebook.com/paul.fergusson

(This post was edited by wishmaster3211 on Sep 30, 2013, 12:10 PM)

buncranaboy

Sep 30, 2013, 1:49 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #4 of 133 (9733 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wishmaster3211] Budget Airlines [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

We had to reschedule a family holiday a few years ago at short notice due to a bereavement; amazingly Easyjet changed our bookings at no cost (after asking for a copy of the death certificate) and even sent a message of condolence. Their customer service is generally much superior to Ryanair's and the flight experience so much more relaxed. And as for Ryanair trumpeting their regular "early arrivals" - well if you will allow a window of 65 minutes to fly from Birmingham to Dublin for example, you'd expect to be 20 minutes ahead of "schedule" at touchdown.

Chris1963

Sep 30, 2013, 9:07 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #5 of 133 (9683 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wishmaster3211] Budget Airlines [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Regarding Easyjet, it is very annoying that for my flight to Milan Malpensa last Tuesday I booked some 8-10 days in advance (having waited to see the weather forecast) and then had to endure the shock of seeing the prices for the same flight drop considerably just a couple of days or so before departure. How the hell are we supposed to be able to predict something like this?

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 30, 2013, 9:27 PM

Post #6 of 133 (9677 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Budget Airlines [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

When you booked you presumably thought the price was fair so what on earth is the point of looking at the prices again later ?

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 30, 2013, 9:39 PM

Post #7 of 133 (9673 views)
Shortcut

All things being equal, Easyjet are far superior to Ryanair in customer service respects. However, on the 10th August 2006 I was flying out of Stansted and Ryanair (who I was with) stayed in the air whereas Easyjet cancelled everything.

Flybe are overpriced for what they are, but sometimes their route/timings are the most convenient.

With regards to 'flag carriers', some are considerably better than others.

I have steered clear of BA for many years after a number of poor experiences.
KLM are not a patch on what they were, but still reasonable for the price. Similar with SAS.
Lufthansa/Swiss/TAP Portugal remain decent in my view.

The bottom line, though, is that it is now possible to travel to any country in Western Europe at a fraction of the (inflation adjusted) cost it was back in the 70s/80s - back then the overnight ferries from Dover/Harwich etc were the only way I could possibly afford Eurohopping trips.

Chris1963

Sep 30, 2013, 10:07 PM

Post #8 of 133 (9663 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Budget Airlines [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
When you booked you presumably thought the price was fair so what on earth is the point of looking at the prices again later ?

I looked at the flights again because I wanted to see if they had increased at all since I made the booking. It's called curiosity, and I'm sure most of us experience it. I would be surprised if you never do!

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 30, 2013, 10:34 PM

Post #9 of 133 (9653 views)
Shortcut

Be surprised then. Once I have booked a ticket, I never look at prices for the same flight again.

Fanatic
First Team Star

Sep 30, 2013, 10:59 PM

Team(s):

Post #10 of 133 (9642 views)
Shortcut

Had a very bad experience with Ryanair and their over-zealous bag size checks. Bag was well under size limits but handle stuck out and they claimed it made it oversized. I pointed out that the picture showing how dimensions are measured doesn't include the handle, but they wouldn't have it.

Asked to make a formal complaint, but they only allowed me to do it by writing a letter to an Irish address - no e-mail or phone calls. They then had the cheek to respond to my complaint by e-mail which ended by telling me I couldn't respond to it by e-mail and would have to write again (I did wonder whether this would stand up in court if challenged by Trading Standards, as they seem to be making it deliberately difficult to complain). The response also bore no complaint to the letter I sent.

Thankfully I haven't had to use them for some time now, and would probably use another carrier even if it meant paying slightly more.

Richard Rundle

Sep 30, 2013, 11:04 PM

Post #11 of 133 (9638 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Be surprised then. Once I have booked a ticket, I never look at prices for the same flight again.

Yeah, I would never think of going back after I booked to check the prices again either.

kirby knitters

Oct 1, 2013, 10:35 AM

Post #12 of 133 (9601 views)
Shortcut

Easyjet now have allocated seating if you dont wish to pay then one is allocated for you however i paid 3 each way for seat 6A on 4 flights and didnt mind doing so at all.I give the company top marks for this as it puts a stop to the behavior of some people pushing and shoving others to get the seat they want,il continue using them unless im treated in an unacceptable way then im back to BA,but i honestly cant see it happening.they do have a policy of overnighting people in the event of not being able to get them back and i dont mean in the departure lounge like another that has been mentioned on hereFrown

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

Oct 1, 2013, 11:00 AM

Post #13 of 133 (9597 views)
Shortcut

I have never seen people pushing to get to their seats on Ryanair, in fact I suspect that not having allocated seating at all may speed up boarding. Certainly on Airlines where every seat is allocated it can take an eternity to get everyone on. I actually couldn't care less about where i am sat on the plane, as long as its not a centre seat and preferably an aisle seat if I am in hurry when i get off, and its well away from any screaming children. With allocated seats you cannot avoid the latter although some airlines will allocate children in a certain place I know to my cost that BA don't!

When i flew to Norway with Ryanair I just sat drinking my coffee while everybody got up and queued for 10 minutes (the Plane wasn't even at the Stand when they started queuing!), was one of the last to board, and got a seat that I would have probably chosen anyway! The only benefit for Speedy Boarding and such like that the passenger gets if you can grab one of those seats right at the front with masses of legroom. At some airports all you get out of Speedy Boarding is you get onto the shuttle bus first, which is a total rip off. In fact, frankly the whole thing is just a rip off anyway!

The best way to treat Air Travel nowadays is to look at the flight times and costs and just weight it all up. I can't think of an airline I have had a truly bad experience with to stop me using them again, although I doubt I would use Easyjet in a hurry as they have been quite badly late the last two times, nor have I had any particularly good experiences either. I do however try to avoid using Heathrow as an airport....

(This post was edited by wishmaster3211 on Oct 1, 2013, 11:04 AM)

Chris1963

Oct 1, 2013, 9:58 PM

Post #14 of 133 (9554 views)
Shortcut

Neither have I seen any pushing and shoving on board a plane, and I am quite happy to be allocated a seat by Easyjet as it saves me the trouble of deciding where to sit. The funny thing is that they always allocate me a seat in row 24 or thereabouts.

cope1

Oct 1, 2013, 11:20 PM

Post #15 of 133 (9535 views)
Shortcut

I am quite happy with getting sod all for a cheap flight, but I go to Germany all the time and it's only an hour so what's the worst that can happen? If I got further I weigh it up a bit more. EasyJet are definitely streets ahead of other budgets - especially Ryanair - for customer service. Some people I know still talk about 'SleazyJet' which I'm beginning to find a bit annoying because it's rather outdated now.

I do prefer having allocated seating however as it takes some stress out of the air. I never try to get to the front because since the over-wing seats have been reserved for those who pay extra there's not really any benefit. Half the time I fly on my own so it makes no difference and frankly I prefer sitting alone (i.e. not with people I know) because I like to just read or snooze but travelling with my wife I've never managed to have to sit away from her! The reason I like allocated seating, though, is that although I'm not bothered about where I sit, the atmosphere at the gate isn't very nice with everyone trying to be at the front without looking like they're trying to be at the front.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 17, 2013, 1:29 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #16 of 133 (9211 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Budget Airlines [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I do prefer having allocated seating however as it takes some stress out of the air. I never try to get to the front because since the over-wing seats have been reserved for those who pay extra there's not really any benefit. Half the time I fly on my own so it makes no difference and frankly I prefer sitting alone (i.e. not with people I know) because I like to just read or snooze but travelling with my wife I've never managed to have to sit away from her! The reason I like allocated seating, though, is that although I'm not bothered about where I sit, the atmosphere at the gate isn't very nice with everyone trying to be at the front without looking like they're trying to be at the front.

The only flying I do these days is once a year up to Glasgow for work. On the flight up last year, Easyjet said that they'd be doing away with non-allocation of seats on their flights, something about it being 'by popular demand'.

Sure enough, having just printed out my boarding passes for my trip next week, I've been allocated specific seats on both outward and return flights. The website offered the opportunity to buy a seat of my own choice (for between 3 and 8 each way) but I didn't bother.

kirby knitters

Oct 17, 2013, 1:50 PM

Post #17 of 133 (9207 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Budget Airlines [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Its between 8-12 in rows 1-6 and 3 everything behind.

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 17, 2013, 3:17 PM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #18 of 133 (9189 views)
Shortcut

Quite happy with Easyjet, have used them in the last year Nice - Paris and Gatwick - Milan. And in 2 weeks we're going to Lisbon. Brand new plane, legroom fine (I'm 6') and I prefer the option of paying for some OK food rather than the imposed slop of the flag carriers. Ryan Air once (to Nimes), never again. The Central / Eastern European budget airline (pink and purple planes), I've used a couple of times to Budapest and they're OK.
Main gripe with Easyjet is almost daily emails from booking until about a week after you get back - or it feels like it. The odd snippet of useful info (eg priority boarding if you have a child under 5) among the duplicate info on boarding, parking, shade of orange of the tail fin etc etc.
Have had two company trips to the USA in the last 2 years. Virgin far superior to United Airlines. Better designed seats make an enormous difference long haul. Flexible headrests and more legroom. Oh and a USB socket so you can keep gadgets charged up.

Isaac

Oct 17, 2013, 3:34 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #19 of 133 (9182 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oxford Stone] Budget Airlines [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Quite happy with Easyjet, have used them in the last year Nice - Paris and Gatwick - Milan. And in 2 weeks we're going to Lisbon. Brand new plane, legroom fine (I'm 6') and I prefer the option of paying for some OK food rather than the imposed slop of the flag carriers. Ryan Air once (to Nimes), never again. The Central / Eastern European budget airline (pink and purple planes), I've used a couple of times to Budapest and they're OK.
Main gripe with Easyjet is almost daily emails from booking until about a week after you get back - or it feels like it. The odd snippet of useful info (eg priority boarding if you have a child under 5) among the duplicate info on boarding, parking, shade of orange of the tail fin etc etc.
Have had two company trips to the USA in the last 2 years. Virgin far superior to United Airlines. Better designed seats make an enormous difference long haul. Flexible headrests and more legroom. Oh and a USB socket so you can keep gadgets charged up.

Why should you get priority boarding if you have a child under 5?

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 17, 2013, 4:13 PM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #20 of 133 (9174 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Budget Airlines [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

To avoid the stampede and not end up with a small child having to sit apart from its parents. But next May 24 when he's 5 he can just slum it.
(Edit - it's 5 years or under so we'll squeeze another year out of that. Not sure how long we can keep using the parent and child supermarket spaces - will start feeling guilty when he's taller than his mum)

(This post was edited by Oxford Stone on Oct 17, 2013, 4:16 PM)

Isaac

Oct 18, 2013, 2:18 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #21 of 133 (9119 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oxford Stone] Budget Airlines [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

To avoid the stampede and not end up with a small child having to sit apart from its parents. But next May 24 when he's 5 he can just slum it.
(Edit - it's 5 years or under so we'll squeeze another year out of that. Not sure how long we can keep using the parent and child supermarket spaces - will start feeling guilty when he's taller than his mum)

Oh I see, fair enough I suppose if particular seats cannot be pre booked. On a general theme I don't understand why some people think having screaming brats in tow should get them priority over everybody else.

I certainly don't agree with parent and child supermarket spaces although I'll admit to using them when I've had kids with me, after all there's no point cutting off my nose to spite my faceWink

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 19, 2013, 9:55 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #22 of 133 (9040 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Budget Airlines [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I certainly don't agree with parent and child supermarket spaces although I'll admit to using them when I've had kids with me, after all there's no point cutting off my nose to spite my faceWink

It rather depends on what the point of them is. If they are just ordinary spaces that are close to the shop I object. However if they are wider to enable young children to be extracted from car seats and placed into push chairs more easily and out of the way of traffic then they are fine.

kirby knitters

Nov 4, 2013, 10:15 AM

Post #23 of 133 (8755 views)
Shortcut

Ryanair(everyones fave!!)are doing fully allocated seating from Feb 1 after numerous complaints from punters about the frenzied rush to secure the best seats.......So thats nothing to do with the fact easyjet rolled this one out and are making money out of it!!

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

Nov 5, 2013, 11:03 PM

Post #24 of 133 (8678 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Ryanair(everyones fave!!)are doing fully allocated seating from Feb 1 after numerous complaints from punters about the frenzied rush to secure the best seats.......So thats nothing to do with the fact easyjet rolled this one out and are making money out of it!!

Just to make money...yep. Honestly it takes longer to board a plane with allocated seats, people have no clue where they are sat and keep stopping. That was why the low cost airlines started doing unallocated seating - to speed up turnrounds. Anyway my next trip is out with Ryanair back with BA, simply on the basis if price and flight times. Be interested to see how they compare.

kirby knitters

Nov 6, 2013, 10:26 AM

Post #25 of 133 (8655 views)
Shortcut

Ive done a few open jaw tickets but have never flown out with one airline and returned with another.God forbid anything goes wrong with your flights and theres no reason why it should but if the worse comes to the worse then at least you have them the right way roundWink

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3